HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 Canada

Old
04-27-2013, 10:59 AM
True Hockey Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Canada - Last 8 times (1 Gold Medal) Since the Lockout Era
You said:

Originally Posted by markz
In a few days we'll know the full roster. I think we should be worried about Team Canada in general. It's no secret the Europeans are better than us on Big Ice - it's their "Bread and Butter".

Canada was 7th last time on Big Ice in the Olympics, have lost 3 times straight in the World's Quarterfinals. Big Ice is a "different Game" as Yzerman said, I think we might be able to get in the finals, but it's going to be tough.

The table I wrote:

Slovakia - 3 times in a semi-final round // since 2003 (whc)
USA - 2 times
Finland - 5 times (1 gold medal)
Sweden - 9 times (1 gold medal)
Czechs - 6 times (2 gold medals)
Russia - 7 times (3 gold medals)
Canada - 7 times (3 gold medals)

I responded to your statement that Canadians were worse than europeans on big ice, which is not true. Last three QF losses has not changed anything. For example, the Czechs also lost 3 QF games in a row (07,08,09), Finns too (03,04,05), the Russians lost 3 QF games between the years 2003 and 2006. The Slovaks didn't play any semi-final game between the years 2005 and 2011.

So I'm not sure why do you think European teams are so much better on big ice.

Last edited by True Hockey Fan: 04-27-2013 at 11:05 AM.
True Hockey Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:09 AM
markz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
You said:

Originally Posted by markz
In a few days we'll know the full roster. I think we should be worried about Team Canada in general. It's no secret the Europeans are better than us on Big Ice - it's their "Bread and Butter".

Canada was 7th last time on Big Ice in the Olympics, have lost 3 times straight in the World's Quarterfinals. Big Ice is a "different Game" as Yzerman said, I think we might be able to get in the finals, but it's going to be tough.

The table I wrote:

Slovakia - 3 times in a semi-final round // since 2003 (whc)
USA - 2 times
Finland - 5 times (1 gold medal)
Sweden - 9 times (1 gold medal)
Czechs - 6 times (2 gold medals)
Russia - 7 times (3 gold medals)
Canada - 7 times (3 gold medals)

I responded to your statement that Canadians were worse than europeans on big ice, which is not true. Last three QF losses has not changed anything. For example, the Czechs also lost 3 QF games in a row (07,08,09), Finns too (03,04,05), the Russians lost 3 QF games between the years 2003 and 2006. The Slovaks didn't play any semi-final game between the years 2005 and 2011.

So I'm not sure why do you think European teams are so much better on big ice.
We're talking In the last 8 Years and last Big Ice Olympics. Lockout Era of the WC 2005-Present.

Quote:
Team Canada's results on senior international tournaments (since 2005)

All Olympic Ice sized WC and Oly since Lockout Era

2005 WHC - Silver (1. Czechs, 2. Canada , 3. Russia)
2006 OLY - 7th (1. Sweden, 2. Finland, 3.Czechs)
2006 WHC - 4th (1. Sweden, 2. Czechs, 3. Finland)
2007 WHC - Gold (2. Finland, 3. Russia, 4. Sweden)

2009 WHC - Silver (1. Russia, 3. Sweden, 4. USA)
2010 WHC - 7th (1. Czechs, 2. Russia, 3. Sweden, 4. Germany)
2011 WHC - 5th (1. Finland, 2. Sweden, 3. Czechs, 4. Russia)
2012 WHC - 5th (1. Russia, 2. Slovakia, 3. Czechs, 4. Finland)
[B]Canada - Last 8 times (1 Gold Medal)/B]

Last edited by markz*: 04-27-2013 at 11:25 AM.
markz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Macman

Quote:
We're talking In the last 8 Years and last Big Ice Olympics. Lockout Modern era of the WC.

Canada - Last 8 times (1 Gold Medal) Since the Lockout Era
Canada's lack of success at the WC in recent years has more to do with the age and inexperience of its roster than the size of the rink. The fact is, our teams are much younger than those from Europe because most of our veteran players don't want to go. Salt Lake was on big ice 10 years ago but you conveniently cut your analysis at eight years.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:27 AM
markz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Canada's lack of success at the WC in recent years has more to do with the age and inexperience of its roster than the size of the rink. The fact is, our teams are much younger than those from Europe because most of our veteran players don't want to go. Salt Lake was on big ice 10 years ago but you conveniently cut your analysis at eight years.
Yeah And Nagano was in 1998 was 4 years before 2002 and Canada lost with Patrick Roy, Wayne Gretzky, Lindros Sakic, Ray Bourque,etc). Don't forget you got to the Finals in 2002 by beating Belarus Canada lost against Sweden and Tied the Czech Republic in 2002.

Talented countries like Switzerland and Slovakia have only since the 2006 Olympics proven themselves (Swiss beating Canada in 2006 and to a Shootout against Canada in 2010 Small Ice) to be among the best, Norway, Germany and Latvia have been improving.

Better Quality players have been coming every year since the lockout. All the top stars in the World have played in a World Championship since the Lockout starting in the 2005 WC

Last edited by markz*: 04-27-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old
04-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Seeing as how we're a bit weak on defense, any chance Tyson Barrie gets an invite? He's the only defensive bright spot on a weak defensive team. Played in the WJC as well. Smooth skating player, would probably do quite well on the big ice.
Other Possible Options:
-KEVIN KLEIN
-MARK GIORDANO
-TJ BRODIE
-DENNIS WIDEMAN
-TREVOR DALEY

Not that many great defenders out there for Team Canada. Too bad about Weber and that insurance, we could have really used him out there.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:24 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Guys, Mark Giordano is NOT going. He just had a kid, so he is staying home with his family. I'm really hoping Brodie goes, he has been the best d-man in Calgary this season.

Also, Trotz and Tippett were added to the coaching staff.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Macman

Quote:
Yeah And Nagano was in 1998 was 4 years before 2002 and Canada lost with Patrick Roy, Wayne Gretzky, Lindros Sakic, Ray Bourque,etc). Don't forget you got to the Finals in 2002 by beating Belarus Canada lost against Sweden and Tied the Czech Republic in 2002.

Talented countries like Switzerland and Slovakia have only since the 2006 Olympics proven themselves (Swiss beating Canada in 2006 and to a Shootout against Canada in 2010 Small Ice) to be among the best, Norway, Germany and Latvia have been improving.

Better Quality players have been coming every year since the lockout. All the top stars in the World have played in a World Championship since the Lockout starting in the 2005 WC
Nonsense.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

markz, are you sure you're not Russian?

Your argument is so flawed, I don't even want to point out each thing that is wrong.

Just because all of them have played in the WC doesn't mean they played TOGETHER. Besides 2008, Canada just hasn't had a very strong team, thanks to the playoffs.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Uncle Rotter

Those teens from Canada & the US seem to have no problem adjusting to that big Sochi ice

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Guys, Mark Giordano is NOT going. He just had a kid, so he is staying home with his family. I'm really hoping Brodie goes, he has been the best d-man in Calgary this season.

Wasn't sure about Giordano going. Just threw the name out there. I actually thought he might be injured. Would like to see the hometown boy TJ Brodie get an invite. At any rate we're really hurting for defensemen. Like the coaching choices though.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:16 PM
jayhamm

vCash: 50
Glad to see the Staals going. Eric has sat out the last couple years. Another benefit of Jordan joining the Canes is that he's available for the WCs

I'd also hope that Eric can secure the 2C spot. There's something to be said for a talented 6'4" 205lbs center working with elite wingers (see this year with Semin/Tlusty). Imagine if he even had the opportunity to line up with Stamkos on a wing.

Last edited by jayhamm: 04-27-2013 at 04:27 PM.
jayhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic View Post
markz, are you sure you're not Russian?

Your argument is so flawed, I don't even want to point out each thing that is wrong.

Just because all of them have played in the WC doesn't mean they played TOGETHER. Besides 2008, Canada just hasn't had a very strong team, thanks to the playoffs.
[mod]

on to more important matters... been out of the loop all day...any news, new additions, players agreeing or taking a pass?

Last edited by stv11: 04-28-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 05:18 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Hmmmm, how typical for a Canadian to say "you" when referring to team Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Glad to hear about Trotz and Tippett. The defence will be weak in terms of talent, but should at least be well coached.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 05:57 PM
jayhamm

vCash: 50
Skinner is on board.

Quote:
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
GM Jim Rutherford says Jeff Skinner also will compete for Canada in World Championship. Played last year in Finland.

jayhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Alberta tough

vCash: 568
Final adds as per CBC
M. Smith

Brodie
Dillon
Robidas
J.Schultz

Ladd
Skinner

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 11m

Saskatoon's Michael Garnett, who plays for KHL Traktor Chelyabinsk, will join Team Canada at Worlds. Will play behind Dubnyk and Mike Smith

Anyone know anything about this guy? Did Steve Mason not want to come? No AHL goalies say yes?

Old
04-27-2013, 09:35 PM
premadonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 11m

Saskatoon's Michael Garnett, who plays for KHL Traktor Chelyabinsk, will join Team Canada at Worlds. Will play behind Dubnyk and Mike Smith

Anyone know anything about this guy? Did Steve Mason not want to come? No AHL goalies say yes?
Hockey Canada always have one Europe-based player on their WHC roster. He's going to be the 3rd goalie so it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure a career minor-leaguer like Garnett will embrace the role and the unique experience. I guess it's just a way to acknowledge and reward Canadian players who are playing in Europe.

Last edited by premadonna: 04-27-2013 at 09:41 PM.
premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:15 PM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhamm View Post
Skinner is on board.

WhiteLight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:34 AM
markz*

[QUOTE=JackSlater;64770889]Hmmmm, how typical for a Canadian to say "you" when referring to team Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
He is in fact..so ignore anything he writes re: Team Canada. You'll just be wasting your time.
I'm not Russian, I'm Canadian, but doesn't mean I cheer for Canada Man some of you guys can't control yourselves here eh?

Old
04-28-2013, 03:44 AM
Mr Writer

The defense looks inexperienced and well sort of "iffy" I really hope Hockey Canada reconsiders its policy of not flying in reinforcements once the tournament gets underway... lets hope a few teams get eliminated fairly quickly here and we can get at least two significant additions on D, preferably 3 but I'd settle for 2. Should make for a lot of 7-5 games though.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:42 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhamm View Post
Skinner is on board.
Could have used more D-men and not Skinner.
But oh well... beggars can't be choosers right? Skinner hasn't really impressed me for 2 years (granted some injuries) wasn't very good at last year's WHC other than the one game against Finland...
but hey what can you do... I hope he has a great tournament and proves me wrong. And in fairness to Skinner, at last year's event, other than Duncan Kieth, nobody really impressed.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:52 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
Hockey Canada always have one Europe-based player on their WHC roster. He's going to be the 3rd goalie so it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure a career minor-leaguer like Garnett will embrace the role and the unique experience. I guess it's just a way to acknowledge and reward Canadian players who are playing in Europe.
KHL is a minor league? He's done quiet well and deserves and invite.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:01 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
KHL is a minor league? He's done quiet well and deserves and invite.
Other than 24 games in the NHL he was a career minor league player in North America (AHL ECHL) and then departed for Europe. Good for him that he can make cake in Russia and gets a call to help out the NT. I was calling for it even last year.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Other than 24 games in the NHL he was a career minor league player in North America (AHL ECHL) and then departed for Europe. Good for him that he can make cake in Russia and gets a call to help out the NT. I was calling for it even last year.
Well, that would make it him an ex-minor leaguer, wouldn't it? Doesn't matter anyway..

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Well, that would make it him an ex-minor leaguer, wouldn't it? Doesn't matter anyway..
Whatever you want to call the KHL, that is your business... the poster is free to form his own opinion, if it doesn't jive with yours, live with it.