HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The success of Anaheim shows that Boudreau is an excellent coach.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:29 PM
NEWFowler
hi

vCash: 500
Obviously no team is going to keep up a 0.800+ winning percentage. Its not just the Ducks.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Ishdul

I don't have a high opinion of Boudreau but don't be ridiculous and blame the Canadiens loss on anything he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Ducks outshot Detroit both times and the shot differential during their 4-game skid was 117-111 in their favor. But sure, let's make it fit the "unsustainable" narrative instead.

It's a losing skid, it happens, and probably couldn't have come at a better time. Plenty of time to get over it and gain some momentum for the playoffs.
The unsustainable part was that their shooting percentage was historically good and their save percentage was also quite a bit higher than reasonable expectations would have it at. And what do you know, both dropped by a lot, to the point where they are now 3rd in shooting percentage instead of leading the league by a mile! Also, what Master_Of_Districts said.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

The team has come out flat the majority of the season and it's finally catching up to them. Can't keep going down early in games and expect to win consistently.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:25 PM
DyslexicTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Ducks outshot Detroit both times and the shot differential during their 4-game skid was 117-111 in their favor. But sure, let's make it fit the "unsustainable" narrative instead.

It's a losing skid, it happens, and probably couldn't have come at a better time. Plenty of time to get over it and gain some momentum for the playoffs.
Was said before, but teams generally shot more than the opposition when down 2 or more goals. So a +6 shot differential is probably pretty terrible considering how the Ducks trailed most of the last 4 games. It should be way higher.

There's a misunderstanding of how Fenwick and Fenwick Close stat evaluations work.

DyslexicTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Boudreau's coaching isn't the reason for losing 4 straight in regulation as much as it's Murray's fault for not putting together a great team. They've been cheating the percentages all season and it's bound to catch up at some point. There are a lot of good players on the Ducks, but there's not enough to convince me that any team should be worried about facing them in the playoffs.

Hockey Sports Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Was simply making a point that they weren't getting outshot, I thought I read someone else point that out. In the two San Jose games, yes, but the Detroit games they soundly outshot them and ran into a hot goalie.

I understand Fenwick and other stats well enough, it's just that so many generalizations are made to make them work. Like a team will outshoot the other team if they're trailing by multiple goals. That might be true, but isn't really indicative of anything. Fenwick and Corsi don't always work that well because the amount a team shoots or allows can entirely be a team strategy. IMO a highly effective strategy would be to avoid shots from low percentage areas and openly allow teams to take them against you, which would probably lead to a low Fenwick score.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Lets see him have success in playoffs

Regular season success has never been issue with him
As tonight showed (Well the whole series showed) his teams just aren't built to win come playoff time

Another great regular season only to see his squad flame out in playoffs

BB just is not a coach that can take a team to promise land (Or even Conf Finals)

His team has been flat thru major parts of this Red Wings series and the effort tonight especially in 1st period was lax.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:24 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
As tonight showed (Well the whole series showed) his teams just aren't built to win come playoff time

Another great regular season only to see his squad flame out in playoffs

BB just is not a coach that can take a team to promise land (Or even Conf Finals)

His team has been flat thru major parts of this Red Wings series and the effort tonight especially in 1st period was lax.
In all fairness, playoffs are an unforgiving beast. Only 8 teams of 30 make the second round. I'm bad at math, but that's what, only 28-30%?

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:28 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Whole series is a bit over the top IMO.

He made questionable calls in Game 7, but before that he had coached pretty well.

It would of been a lot different if Lydman didn't go down, we didn't have that key defensive dmen outside of Beauch after that and it got exploited by Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but that's not really on the HC's head, it's more of how the roster was set up.

Let's not forget Detroit won 3 games in OT, a couple of different bounces and we could easily be talking about Anaheim being in the 2nd round instead.

Either way, congrats to Detroit.

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:40 AM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
In all fairness, playoffs are an unforgiving beast. Only 8 teams of 30 make the second round. I'm bad at math, but that's what, only 28-30%?
He's had a lot of chances (not with the Wings, but in general) and his teams always seem to beast in the regular season and lose in the playoffs.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:45 AM
illpucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I see him as a good coach but not a great coach. If I recall he got pretty badly out coached a few times in the playoffs. He also seems to be one of those coaches that players get tired of and end up stop listening to which is what got him run out of Washington.
Yup. He got out coached very badly again and the players did stop listening. Psychic post.

illpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:53 AM
DyslexicTom

The Wings made it interesting because they couldn't hold a lead; almost gave it up in Game 7, too. I'll wait for the final possession numbers to pass judgment, but so far it doesn't seem like the Fenwick Close crowd was wrong.

DyslexicTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:10 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

He got soundly outcoached in game seven, but the fact that all four games he lost were decided by a single shot is indicative of how evenly matched the series was

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Ewan McGregor

Blaming this on Boudreau is hilarious. Only so much coaching can do when your 8M dollar guy can't buy a goal.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:52 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Blaming this on Boudreau is hilarious. Only so much coaching can do when your 8M dollar guy can't buy a goal.
Can we just skip to the part where we lay all the blame at the feet of the lazy, heartless Canadians?

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:56 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Personally I think Anaheim's regular season record is better because of Boudreau. And that gives them a higher seed so that helps them in the playoffs because of home ice. But Anaheim as a team, with that level of talent, has no business being thought of as "second in the West" or Cup contenders. That was a farce all along. The Blues would have smoked them.

So I don't blame Bruce. If anything I credit him for getting the team to overachieve. It's the team that isn't good enough. And now that they've signed two players to ginormous contracts, the situation will probably stay that way for half a decade.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:04 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Obviously no team is going to keep up a 0.800+ winning percentage. Its not just the Ducks.
No team but the Kings in the playoffs of 2012.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:12 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Personally I think Anaheim's regular season record is better because of Boudreau. And that gives them a higher seed so that helps them in the playoffs because of home ice. But Anaheim as a team, with that level of talent, has no business being thought of as "second in the West" or Cup contenders. That was a farce all along. The Blues would have smoked them.

So I don't blame Bruce. If anything I credit him for getting the team to overachieve. It's the team that isn't good enough. And now that they've signed two players to ginormous contracts, the situation will probably stay that way for half a decade.
Remind me again how signing two of the best players in the NHL to extended contacts that run through their prime will hinder the Anaheim Ducks ability to compete?

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:18 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Personally I think Anaheim's regular season record is better because of Boudreau. And that gives them a higher seed so that helps them in the playoffs because of home ice. But Anaheim as a team, with that level of talent, has no business being thought of as "second in the West" or Cup contenders. (...) If anything I credit him for getting the team to overachieve. It's the team that isn't good enough. (...)
Those are the parts that I can agree with.

Many had the Ducks finishing bottom-5 this season (in the West, or even in the League). Instead, they played terrific for long stretches and got themselves into a shocking #2-seed. Sure, that seed comes with a certain expectation that ended up disappointed, but this wasn't a team whose failure in the playoffs should or can reasonably be used to question a coach (yet). They didn't play well enough. They are still building. Nobody would have mistaken this for a contending year before it all started, and a terrific early season performance should not make that entirely forgotten.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:39 AM
Henkka

One 15 game hot streak from Viktor Fasth --> final result = 20 million package for Getzlaf, Fasth and Perry and salary cap problems for future years. Congratulations.

Anaheim Ducks winning percentage was ~75% before Perry extension and ~42% after that.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:21 AM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

I didnt expect them to even make the playoffs this year
This was never a contending year for Anaheim, dont have all the pieces to win it. It was a year that makes the future look really bright for the team.

douglast5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
One 15 game hot streak from Viktor Fasth --> final result = 20 million package for Getzlaf, Fasth and Perry and salary cap problems for future years. Congratulations.
Except that "15 game hot streak from Viktor Fasth" never happened. He didn't play out of his mind. The Ducks jumped out of the gate and allowed very little good scoring chances, making his job relatively easy. He was perfectly solid, but it wasn't a random hot streak.

Perry's play is a concern. But that's another issue.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:47 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

I truly believe Fasth is the better goalie.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Regular season vs. playoffs is overrated anyway. If your methods work in the regular season, chances are they'll work in the playoffs. That cut is arbitrary and only works because there's so little sample size for playoff performance.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:17 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Regular season vs. playoffs is overrated anyway. If your methods work in the regular season, chances are they'll work in the playoffs. That cut is arbitrary and only works because there's so little sample size for playoff performance.
I completely disagree. The nature of the game in the playoffs changes drastically, for the most part, IMO of course.

The physicality, the pressure and tempo of the game are completely different.

Having a good regular season doesnt mean its a team thats built for the playoffs.

Just the increased hitting and physicality of the playoffs can change the functioning of a team's system. Not to mention, the smaller the team, usually, the more a body wears down.

Systems only work if you can continuously modify and tweak. But you also need ot have the physical make-up for them to continue to be effective.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote