HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Denis' perspective on player management and PK Subban

Old
11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

vCash: 500
Marc Denis' perspective on player management and PK Subban

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/c...ubban-1.682524

One of the best pieces i've read from an hockey analyst. It's not about stats, it's about comradeship within a hockey team and how players spring back and forth after being fustigated on the public place.

FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:17 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

I wub Marc Denis

edit: haven't read it or anything...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:18 AM
The Right Price

Marc Denis for head coach!

Heck, Marc Denis for GM!

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:26 AM
windycity

Yup, really good read. The fact is that NONE of here have any idea what's really going on in that lockeroom or between MT and PK. Nor do most if not all the so-called journalists, their bias is to stay relevant in the market place, accuracy be damned especially when it's not something that is readily disprovable.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

It seems sort of beside the point, though.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Habs

I can't stand Marc Denis, I put his opinions somewhere around Darren Dreger and Howie Meeker. There's around a dozen people here I would listen to before him. I'm not naming names though.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:32 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian
It seems sort of beside the point, though.
He does say its not another Subban article. Its great insight about how things go behind the scenes, coming from a one of the rare well spoken and intelligent former athlete.

Marc Denis is of a far higher standard than anyone else on RDS, I'm glad he's there. Lightyears ahead of guys who struggle to make complete sentences like Carbo or Brunet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
I can't stand Marc Denis, I put his opinions somewhere around Darren Dreger and Howie Meeker. There's around a dozen people here I would listen to before him. I'm not naming names though.
Why? He's a coherent, well spoken and rational individual that also happens to have recent pro experience (not the ''quand je coachais Peter Stastny, jel fesait jouer 30 minutes par match! pourquoi ont fait pas ca avec Desharnais!??'' kind of experience)

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:38 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
(not the ''quand je coachais Peter Stastny, jel fesait jouer 30 minutes par match! pourquoi ont fait pas ca avec Desharnais!??'' kind of experience)

love it

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:39 AM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Yup, really good read. The fact is that NONE of here have any idea what's really going on in that lockeroom or between MT and PK. Nor do most if not all the so-called journalists, their bias is to stay relevant in the market place, accuracy be damned especially when it's not something that is readily disprovable.
My thoughts exactly and also the reason why i found the article to be so good - Denis was indeed in a high-pressure situation within his team as a #1 goalie and his imput is clearly honest and to the point.

Also FlyingKostitsyn is right... Denis is BY FAR the most agreeable, well-spoken analyst RDS has and might just be the best french analyst overall.

FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Smokey Thompson

Wow I always knew he was well spoken and articulate, but didn't realize he was this good of a writer. Very good read, offers an interesting take on the whole situation.

Thanks for sharing

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 12:02 PM
pepperMonkey

Umm...can someone offer a brief summary translation for those of us who *gasp* don't read French?

pepperMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 12:15 PM
PKarey Plekoretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Umm...can someone offer a brief summary translation for those of us who *gasp* don't read French?
http://translate.google.com/

Copy/paste er in. Comes out a little choppy, but you can get the point

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Quagmier

That was an extremely well written article and made me realize how much i miss speaking, reading and writing in french (been out on the west coast for 7 years now...my vocabulary has eroded even though my hard earned Quebecois accent has not).

The best part of that article, which seemed directly applicable to the current situation with PK, was Denis' description of his relationship with Tortorella in Tampa Bay. As i understood (and maybe I'm a little off), he was saying he never got upset when Tortorella was harsh on him to the press, but that it took its toll when Torts would criticize his play then not give him the chance to make amends soon after. Basically that combination called his own abilities into question and made him doubt that he could be a starter in the NHL.

To those of us who follow the Habs more closely than we ought to, i think we probably worry that the same thing is happening to PK. Criticize him, reign him in, bench him when he messes up, sure...but maintain a balance while doing so. You want to ensure that PK understands there is still plenty he has left to learn, but that, at the end of the day, he still knows he has the confidence and support of his teammates and coaching staff.

Quagmier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Here's Martin Leclerc's take on Therrien/Subban : http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...s-sur-twitter/

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 01:45 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

I can read and speak French but damn is it me or do RDS writers ramble on and on instead of just getting to the point?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Here's Martin Leclerc's take on Therrien/Subban : http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...s-sur-twitter/
Ahh the good ole "you don't know more than an NHL coach so you can't be critical!" I just hate when people bring up that argument, so ridiculous. Also, I would like him to tell me how P.k is not a better choice to be on the penalty kill than Bouillon or Diaz. He was a mainstay there in 2011-12 and fared very well, why couldn't he be able to hold a spot now?

Last edited by MonkeyBusiness: 11-07-2013 at 02:16 PM.
MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Marc Denis is one of the few quality analysts remaining on RDS.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 03:32 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Ahh the good ole "you don't know more than an NHL coach so you can't be critical!" I just hate when people bring up that argument, so ridiculous. Also, I would like him to tell me how P.k is not a better choice to be on the penalty kill than Bouillon or Diaz. He was a mainstay there in 2011-12 and fared very well, why couldn't he be able to hold a spot now?
we're 5th on the penalty kill this season...

and last game we allowed no goal to the #4 PP in the league...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Domenic

Great, intelligent article. Sports "journalists" in this city should take note.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I can read and speak French but damn is it me or do RDS writers ramble on and on instead of just getting to the point?
It's written by and for people who are not of the Twitter generation and who require an immediate point to be made. Just like jokes require a setup to be established before hitting the audience with a punchline, Marc Denis is simply painting a picture.

His article only had a few hundred words. Is your attention span that short? How long did it honestly take you to read that? 4-5 min, right? Is your time that precious? :p

Quote:
Ahh the good ole "you don't know more than an NHL coach so you can't be critical!" I just hate when people bring up that argument, so ridiculous.
Yep. It's an old illogical argument. You can't criticize music unless you've made an album, can't criticize food unless you're a chef, can't criticize a car unless you're a mechanic, etc.

It gets old after a while.

Having said that, I hope people would understand that what they are commenting on is the *perception* of what is going on. There are plenty of factors we might not be privy to based entirely on the fact that we are not in the room.

The bottom line is that MT has been in the league for a long time now and has successfully coached a team that was in the basement all the way to the top ranks of the league. Though I don't think that makes him impervious to criticism (some quite valid), he nevertheless has a lot of experience and has been exposed to some top-tier talent previously (Crosby, Malkin, etc.). Even though his approach might rub some the wrong way, there are more chances that his is the "correct" one more than it could be the wrong one.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by Strat: 11-07-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Thats Marc Denis for you.

He was a novelist in another life.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 03:46 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat View Post
It's written by and for people who are not of the Twitter generation and who require an immediate point to be made. Just like jokes require a setup to be established before hitting the audience with a punchline, Marc Denis is simply painting a picture.

His article only had a few hundred words. Is your attention span that short? How long did it honestly take you to read that? 4-5 min, right? Is your time that precious? :p

Yep. It's an old illogical argument. You can't criticize music unless you've made an album, can't criticize food unless you're a chef, can't criticize a car unless you're a mechanic, etc.

It gets old after a while.

Having said that, I hope people would understand that what they are commenting on is the *perception* of what is going on. There are plenty of factors we might not be privy to based entirely on the fact that we are not in the room.

The bottom line is that MT has been in the league for a long time now and has successfully coached a team that was in the basement all the way to the top ranks of the league. Though I don't think that makes him impervious to criticism (some quite valid), he nevertheless has a lot of experience and has been exposed to some top-tier talent previously (Crosby, Malkin, etc.). Even though his approach might rub some the wrong way, there are more chances that his is the "correct" one more than it could be the wrong one.

My 2 cents...
pretty much, has more than 100 (?) characters

Old
11-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
I take this any day of the week over some non-sensical and sometimes fallacy filled articles from clowns like Bertrand Raymond or Gaston Therrien.

Hope Of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 04:08 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
we're 5th on the penalty kill this season...

and last game we allowed no goal to the #4 PP in the league...
Thanks for the update, but have you read the article? My guess is no since you came up with this reply, in the article the guy says that we aren't using P.k on the penalty kill because we have better options. Hence why I asked that question.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 04:10 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Thanks for the update, but have you read the article? My guess is no since you came up with this reply, in the article the guy says that we aren't using P.k on the penalty kill because we have better options. Hence why I asked that question.
your guess is wrong.

I wasnt replying to Marc Denis, I was replying to YOU, the guy who complained about P.K. not being used on the... P.K...