What happened to the Bruins Identity?

Old
03-20-2013, 08:18 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
What happened to the Bruins Identity?

• They’re no longer able to hold leads.

Is this on Rask? Is it me, or has he had some trouble in big moments and in big games? I think back to his 2nd round performance for Providence where he fell apart. The back half of his Philly series from two years ago. And this season, in big games and late in games, he's had trouble locking it down.
EDIT: The BUF "revenge" game (.806) granted everyone played bad.
The MTL game for 1st place (.846)
The WSH game where they let a 3 goal lead slip away to lose in OT (.846)
The PIT game (.889)

• They’re getting out-physical’ed on a consistent basis.
They’re not just getting outhit, they’re getting run over. Teams are running our goalies, they’re cheap-shotting guys like Campbell and Horton… I know some folks don’t put any stock in the “intimidation” factor, but I believe it exists and I believe it can be (and has been) a weapon for the Bruins, but I think this part of their game has been neutered.

• They seem to have gone from a 3 line model to a top6 and a bottom6.
Which I wouldn’t mind, except, I don’t think the Bruins have the firepower (i.e. consistent offensive production) to rely on just two lines to do all their scoring and even if they did, they don’t use their 3rd line like other top-heavy teams in that they still use Bergeron against top lines. If you’re 3rd line isn’t a checking line and it’s not a secondary scoring line then what is it? What are they bringing to the party?

Disclaimer: I'm sure some folks will say this is just a sky is falling post, but A) I actually wrote this after the Florida win, and B) It's not meant to throw people under the bus or say the Bruins suck, but to identify where the problems are (if any) so that we can understand how to fix them.

03-20-2013, 08:26 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post

Is this on Rask? Is it me, or has he had some trouble in big moments and in big games? I think back to his 2nd round performance for Providence where he fell apart. The back half of his Philly series from two years ago. And this season, in big games and late in games, he's had trouble locking it down.
The PIT game (.889)

They’re not just getting outhit, they’re getting run over. Teams are running our goalies, they’re cheap-shotting guys like Campbell and Horton… I know some folks don’t put any stock in the “intimidation” factor, but I believe it exists and I believe it can be (and has been) a weapon for the Bruins, but I think this part of their game has been neutered.

Which I wouldn’t mind, except, I don’t think the Bruins have the firepower (i.e. consistent offensive production) to rely on just two lines to do all their scoring and even if they did, they don’t use their 3rd line like other top-heavy teams in that they still use Bergeron against top lines. If you’re 3rd line isn’t a checking line and it’s not a secondary scoring line then what is it? What are they bringing to the party?

Disclaimer: I'm sure some folks will say this is just a sky is falling post, but A) I actually wrote this after the Florida win, and B) It's not meant to throw people under the bus or say the Bruins suck, but to identify where the problems are (if any) so that we can understand how to fix them.
Oh your a brave soul Bill having a peek at Rask..............I`m outta this thread all together, this one`ll get nasty

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:26 AM
mikelvl

Great points Bill. You've nailed the major issues. The Bruins have two fourth lines right now. The problem is the line that is masquerading as a third line is actually worse than the fourth line.
-Caron is better than Bourque, but worse than Paille, hasn't proven to me that he's and NHL player.
-Pandolfo should be in a beer league, he's not a top 9 forward to say the least. Seems like Claude needs a veteran binky every year, Rolston, Begin, Yelle, etc.
-Peverly is fine, the team utility infielder but he's a good complementary player, he has no players to complement right now.

The jury's out on Tuukka. The jury was out on Timmy too. Prior to the Cup run, he had only won one playoff series I think. So we'll see. But for such a PIA that Timmy was, we may never see goaltending like that again.

And I don't understand what is up with the physicality other than teams are bigger and tougher than them now? Is Lucic saving himself for the stretch run? I'm sure fatigue plays a part in it. And Horton has been a career hot/cold player for long stretches. Hopefully he's a strong playoff performer again this year.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:28 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

The PIT game (.889)

Absolutely wonderful post. Thought provoking to say the least. Spot on everywhere IMO.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:31 AM
patty59

I couldn't agree more with your second point.

I think if they start taking care of that the rest will fall into place.

I thought the Bruins played well last night besides the physical dept.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

The PIT game (.889)

We’re not just getting outhit, we’re getting run over. Teams are running our goalies, they’re cheap-shotting guys like Campbell and Horton… I know some folks don’t put any stock in the “intimidation” factor, but I believe it exists and I believe it can be (and has been) a weapon for the Bruins, but I think this part of their game has been neutered.

Think it's absolutely the latter two. I look at goaltender numbers overall, I don't care how he allows 2 a game as long as that's what he's allowing, that's elite. You could just as easily say he's keeping them in more games with which to blow leads.

The other two points are spot on. I think the very simple solution is to keep Spooner up (who has looked terrific in 2 games thus far) and play him with Lucic and Peverley (physical winger and winger/center capable of protecting him on faceoffs).

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
_______-Krejci-Horton
Lucic-Spooner-Peverley

The MBS line isn't physical, but they contest everything which wears teams down, separating Lucic and Horton gives the other two lines at least somewhat of a physical presence, although I'd still be trying for Ryane Clowe to play with Krejci and Horton.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

They've been a top 6/bottom 6 team for 2 seasons now. The only season they had any true depth was 2011, and that was only during the cup run after PC got Peverley and Kelly. Other than that, there's been a clear line of demarcation as to what they are.

In terms of Rask, the guy has been shaky at best in big games. Hard to feel confident rolling into the playoffs with him in net, imo. High glove is where everyone goes on him now, and it's more than obvious why they're targeting it.

The physicality is lacking, and it starts with Chara. The guy is getting rag dolled by much smaller guys this year pretty regularly. He's not been on his game at all, IMO, despite having some decent goal totals. Basically, nobody is intimidated going up against our defense, and teams have been taking liberties all season long. There is zero snarl on this team, and again, when the playoffs come along and the intensity ratchets up, this team could be in a real bad spot.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
All three points are legitimate.

03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

I am a big Rask supporter, and I think he is the future in net for this team, but this criticism is more than fair. Though I think the team in front of him has poor at times, he certainly deserves part of the blame. There are times he could have bailed the team out and did not. He still has some questions to answer going forward, as does this team, but I still feel good about him overall.

I think this one largely falls on the "first" line with Lucic and Horton. When they are playing a physical game, like they were against Washington, this team has a different look and feel to it. When those guys are going through the motions, who else on the forward lines is going to bring the hate? Besides an energy shift from Merlot from time to time, the Bergeron line certainly is not physical, nor has any incarnation of the third line been physical.

I don't have an issue with Chara's physicality to this point, though the D as a whole has struggled, and guys like McQuaid and Ference have been less assertive this year until recently.

Overall, another valid criticism.

Right now, and for most of the season, the third line isn't brining anything to the party. The third and fourth lines looked completely overmatched against Pittsburgh, and overall, the Bruins need to upgrade the skill and speed of those units.

I keep hearing that this is pretty much the same team that won the cup in '11, but let's face it, that third line is a shell of itself. They leaned on that line a lot in that post-season, and right now they are a liability.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
GoBs

Quote:

The PIT game (.889)

Definitely agree on the 2nd and 3rd points, buy at this point I'm not ready to blame Rask. He still makes some pretty big saves, and has some impressive stats that go in his favor.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:45 AM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

Very well thought out and written post Bill. I think all your bullet points are valid (or at the least thought out w/o being inflammatory) when it comes to the current makeup of the team.
Unfortunately I will now have to put you on ignore because we just can't have these type of posts on this board.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:52 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
If the Bruins were getting outplayed and beaten badly and last I looked they were tied or ahead in 25 of 26 games this year in the third period

The year they won the Cup they were ********* late in the year- Ryder was benched, Thomas was stealing games

please, passionate guys and gals but even Ted Williams went into slumps- the World Champion 1994 Baltimore Orioles had two 7 game losing streaks during the year' the Black Hawks just lost back to back to Colorado and Edmonton

trade Lucic, Horton sucks, Krejci for Ryan, on and on, and on, and on

they have one problem- they need to bear down, focus, and close it out- its certainly not physical or they wouldn't be leading in 85% of the games in the third and tied in another 10%

they need to do NOTHING but get their own house in order- they have Spooner who clearly has NHL talent and eventually will be an easy top 6 60+ point guy, aways away but still can help now, Soderberg will be here next month, Kelly is coming back, Knight is back this week at practice and imo has an NHL game right now....

my only advice to many here especially the top 4 or 5 prospects for a rental- stay out of Vegas, and take one of those meditation classes- they are outstanding

and Bill great post- the third line can be tweaked about in some capacity but having Caron (really felt bad for him because that penalty was not a good one, and Pandolfo, who I like but should be relegated to that fourth line- Claude is doing it again....and I like Claude)

maybe Spooner and Peverely on the third with who knows? Soderberg? Paille? move Lucic there- no ideal but they can have and I'm counting Spooner as a top 9 offensive talent right now

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:54 AM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

All I know is Rask is starting to get on my nerves. You have a 1 year contract, its all on you kid! Yep that means to stand on you're head if you have too. Bruins played a good game last night I think. Bergy was incredible. You can't expect to win every game by one goal.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
they need to do NOTHING but get their own house in order- they have Spooner who clearly has NHL talent and eventually will be an easy top 6 60+ point guy, aways away but still can help now, Soderberg will be here next month, Kelly is coming back, Knight is back this week at practice and imo has an NHL game right now....
This is all true, but so are Bill's points.

They have it within themselves to be better, that is for sure, but until we see them do it on a consistent basis, then there is cause for concern. They righted the ship in '11, but the same can not be said for last year. Granted they were gassed by that time, but they should have had enough in the tank to beat a mediocre Washington team in the first round. If they figure it all out, this team should make a deep run, but if these issues linger, it could be another early exit.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

I think he should use Khudobin more. Something like 40%. Let Rask sit and see how good Khudo is before he walks for free. The Bs are playing the same style as always, they got their 3rd period leads and are playing the good defensive style. But they just can't close out those games like they did the past few years. The D isn't as sharp as seasons past, but even those Ds gave up chances. Its that little step down from Thomas to Rask that makes all the difference when your walking a tight rope like the Bruins do. And that stanley cup run was a tight rope walk.

Matt Kassian got a goal last night. Just sayin Thats one more than Pandolfo has. Why on earth Chia doesn't get Kassian instead of Pandolfo is a mystery. Kassian would automatically make this team tougher. Players would play bigger just like the leaf players do under Orr's & Maclaren's wings.

Hopefully Soderberg helps, and a simple addition of a Morrow type player would give us 3 scoring lines again.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:10 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:

The PIT game (.889)

bingo bango boingo

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:12 AM
smithformeragent

Rask makes all the saves he should make. He's not the problem.

Thomas made saves he had no business making in the clutch. Sure, he'd let in the occasional stinker from being out of position, but he bailed them out so often that I think he was taken for granted.

He's gone now, so you have to adjust your style as a club and not rely on your goalie to be your best player.

Outphysicaled-sure, they play like they're engaged for parts of games, or when some one receives a cheap shot, they'll wake up for a stretch. Otherwise, they are just an ordinary hockey team. A lot of it does fall on the first line since Horton and Lucic are the big bodies.

3 line team Part of it falls on the 3rd line, but a bigger portion of the blame falls on the first line. The whole idea of having three scoring lines is to create mismatches. When the opponent shadows the Bergeron line. the first line needs to take advantage of that opportunity and exploit the favorable match up. It isn't happening right now.

Ride out the storm. They weren't going to play .800 hockey all season long. It just doesn't happen. Guys go through hot and cold stretches. We place a lot of onus on the first line, but it's not like their first line is a typical first line filled with All Stars.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:18 AM
beaverjc

All three are valid points. I do question the teams physical fitness as part of the issue as well. They come out flying and certainly seem to slow down as the game progresses. Granted some of it is the compressed schedule but some of the guys look spent come the 3rd period when they need to be their best.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Colt.45Orr

Point 1) I don't put anything into point 1; Rask made HUGE saves in all those games but we just kept letting them come at us. Unless we want to blame Khobodin as well for the same thing happening we have to realize that this is on the team for breaking down and letting great chances happen in front of our net. If you throw out the stats and look at the games themselves, show me how many of those goals are his (or Khobo's) fault.

Point 2) Absofreakinglutely.
I was worried about this before the season began and it is slowly happening. We are continually being outhit and 'Big Bad Bruins' defenders here say it is because we have more puck possession --yet we still get outhit in games where we don't. Hmmmm.
I was listening to NHL radio on the drive down to my vacation spot and they had an interview with a beat reporter for Ottawa and he was saying how some of the Sens players were telling him that they were pumped that they got Kassian and felt more free to go looking for hits.

I dunno, the fact that the Stafford hit was never addressed speaks volumes IMO.

Point #3: I can't even get into this Pandolfo ******** anymore --it is literally making me too frustrated. Useless. People talk about being 1-Dimensional --what dimension does Pandolfo even bring?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:37 AM
chippa13*

If the bruins give Puukka 6+ million a year for 5 years I may drink anti-freeze

that is elite goalie money....and he is not elite (yet)

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:41 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post

So there will be at least one positive coming out of that deal then...

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:45 AM
OutspokenMinority

Sit Horton. 2 games. I literally do not care who they plug in as a replacement.

OutspokenMinority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:46 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:

Is this on Rask? Is it me, or has he had some trouble in big moments and in big games?
I, too, believe Rask is struggling at the moment, and the thing that worries me the most right now is his weak glove side. Watching the games more closely now and paying attention to the shots on net, the opponents seem more and more inclined to put their shots high glove on him and I think it's paying off.

Also, someone else has mentioned this earlier, but I think he can't compartmentalize his emotions the way TT could. And because I think he runs hotter than TT in tense, stressful moments where he is challenged and being beat, I think this gets the best of him and he does begin breaking down. Sure, everyone likes to see the fire and emotion, but if it cannot be controlled it will burn him down.

And regarding holding leads, I can't get over the impression that this team -- outside of the Bergeron line -- doesn't work the puck very well into and around the slot and begins taking more and more low percentage shots. Every stinking time the puck cycles to the blue line you and everyone else on the planet paying attention to the game knows some really bad wide shot is coming! And more and more the tactic seems to be, "Get the puck to Chara!". Enough with that already. Use some other tools in the tool shed and quit with the over reliance on the statistically poor percentage shot from the point.

Quote:
It does exist and for whatever reason the team seems to have put that tool aside in favor of something else that I don't know what that is. All Lucic seems to do anymore is squint menacingly. Horton is too busy skating in circles to hit. Thornton is a fighter more than he is a hitter, so putting him out there for intimidation isn't much of a solution.

But Campbell can and should be hitting everything that moves -- and I think he tries, but his line doesn't get enough time. Chara, Ference, Boychuck, Seidenberg, McQuaid: are they getting it done? Do they even have the snarl anymore? Aren't they supposed to be the backbone of the identity?

Quote:
If you’re 3rd line isn’t a checking line and it’s not a secondary scoring line then what is it? What are they bringing to the party?
I'm not sure I understand the "top 6/bottom 6" description. If by this you mean two productive lines and two unproductive lines, then I agree. What's unfortunate about the two productive lines is that the bottom-3 in the top-6 is the fourth line!

I know this isn't a popular view; however I do believe it: the Chris Bourque experiment neutered the third line during his tenure with them. Folks like to point their fingers at Chris Kelly as the problem, but having a mediocre AHL winger working on an NHL third line is not a recipe for success. The third line is not a powerhouse line to begin with, hence it being the third line. The Bruins are/were fortunate in that their third line is/was a competitive, productive line, though not as much as the top-6. However, productive nonetheless. But then that line got saddled with a non-productive member it was -- what else? -- counterproductive.

Once Bourque was replaced with Caron, surprise: Chris Kelly scored! Then I think it was the very next game Kelly was injured. Now that line is in really bad shape. Last night it was two AHL players (Pandolfo and Caron) alongside one NHL player (Peverley). If having one AHLer wasn't going to work, having two on this line is not going to cut it in spades.

Then there are the issues around the Krejci line. Can. Not. Score.

This in and of itself does not bode well for the team. Until that line rediscovers its mojo, and this coupled with the broken nature of the third line, the team is not positioned well for success. Lucic is not playing the way he should; his intimidation factor is missing and when he isn't playing with that edge he is not a difference maker. Horton's streakiness is now in full bloom and his scoring touch is more off than on. And this is all with David Krejci centering them. Removing him due to injury is not what this line needed, even though Spooner seemed able to compete and keep up with them.

Is that because Spooner is just that good, or is that because Lucic and Horton are now just that bad?

I'm not even sure I can point to flaws in the depth. I do not think there are very many teams who can absorb the loss of two centers and still remain successful.

I have to point to the Bourque experiment as setting a tone for the position the team finds itself in right now. And adding Pandolfo to the mix (well, maybe not adding him but certainly keeping him there) doesn't instill confidence in the decision-making at the moment, either.

The only thing right now I can and do appreciate is the restraint shown with not breaking up the Bergeron line. If that line gets dismantled then I think all hope is vanquished.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Point 1) I don't put anything into point 1; Rask made HUGE saves in all those games but we just kept letting them come at us. Unless we want to blame Khobodin as well for the same thing happening we have to realize that this is on the team for breaking down and letting great chances happen in front of our net. If you throw out the stats and look at the games themselves, show me how many of those goals are his (or Khobo's) fault.

Point 2) Absofreakinglutely.
I was worried about this before the season began and it is slowly happening. We are continually being outhit and 'Big Bad Bruins' defenders here say it is because we have more puck possession --yet we still get outhit in games where we don't. Hmmmm.
I was listening to NHL radio on the drive down to my vacation spot and they had an interview with a beat reporter for Ottawa and he was saying how some of the Sens players were telling him that they were pumped that they got Kassian and felt more free to go looking for hits.

I dunno, the fact that the Stafford hit was never addressed speaks volumes IMO.

Point #3: I can't even get into this Pandolfo ******** anymore --it is literally making me too frustrated. Useless. People talk about being 1-Dimensional --what dimension does Pandolfo even bring?
I don't think Rask is bad, I think he is a really good goalie, but when you are used to Thomas it makes a difference. For example: on that 2nd goal last night, I think Timmy would've came up with a high light reel save. Its not a big difference, only one shot a game or so, but it makes a big difference because of the way the Bs rely on their goalies.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics

This says otherwise, and I am not even a big fan of the guy.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote