HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What impact do the trades of this year have on your opinion of Regier?

View Poll Results: Do you want Regier to continue as GM beyond this year?
No. Fire him, let someone else finish the rebuild (why?) 27 32.53%
Yes. Keep him through the offseason and into next year, and see what he does next 31 37.35%
Yes. Let him finish out his contract; he started the rebuild and should finish it 21 25.30%
Still uncertain 4 4.82%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2013, 06:41 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
What impact do the trades of this year have on your opinion of Regier?

So we've seen, in the last week, two impending UFA's shipped off for numerous picks, and our captain, who was signed through next year at $5.3M, traded for two picks and two pretty highly regarded prospects.

To surmise, the rebuild is in motion.

But make no mistake - there are a lot more moves and decisions that are imminent, beginning as soon as this regular season ends, through the draft, and into next year.

What is your feeling on Darcy Regier as General Manager, and has your feeling changed with these moves? See the poll options above.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:47 PM
5 Minute Major

I want him gone.

Just too many years of failure. He is a big reason why we are near the basement in this league.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:52 PM
VaporTrail
GOODBYE D'arse !!!

vCash: 200
Can him....he's been here long enough with ample opportunity....He's a big reason why we had a "fire sale" anyways.....he put us in this predicament I say let someone else get us out.....

I know people say he got us to the finals, and conf. finals....but how many times have we missed the playoffs completely ? His time here is done. Time for change - that not only includes the "core" but D'arse as well.....

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Deevo

Darcy has been making GOOD trades as of late, and I don't think he deserves to be fired based on his recent body of work. I kind of think he's learned his lesson when it comes to bad player contracts (UFA and RFA alike). This is just a hunch though.

He's arguably been the standout GM of the last two trade deadlines.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Criispen

Keep him, he himself has not done anything bad. I mean really, if Pegula was the owner some years earlier this team and the last seasons would look a lot different. He has done the best he could with what he was allowed to do. Darcy put together a team that went to the conference finals in 05-06 and 06-07 and was then forced into a semi-rebuild that proved to be unsuccessful. Why? Because he didn't have the resources and allowance to go through a full rebuild. Now that he can and is going to do that, and has acquired a lot of good assets for the future you want him gone?

Out of his seasons as GM the Sabres have gone to the playoffs 8 times, conference finals 4 times and the finals 1 time, led the league in points once and missed the playoffs completely 6 times (this season excluded). And all this with cheap owners and a strict budget before Pegula.
You can't expect a GM to put together a contending team every year with ****** owners.

Criispen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Has Regier made better, worse, or identical type of trades since Pegula bought the team?

That truly honest (not blowhard) answer should guide your opinion of this poll.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criispen View Post
Keep him, he himself has not done anything bad. I mean really, if Pegula was the owner some years earlier this team and the last seasons would look a lot different. He has done the best he could with what he was allowed to do. Darcy put together a team that went to the conference finals in 05-06 and 06-07 and was then forced into a semi-rebuild that proved to be unsuccessful. Why? Because he didn't have the resources and allowance to go through a full rebuild. Now that he can and is going to do that, and has acquired a lot of good assets for the future you want him gone?

Out of his seasons as GM the Sabres have gone to the playoffs 8 times, conference finals 4 times and the finals 1 time, led the league in points once and missed the playoffs completely 6 times (this season excluded). And all this with cheap owners and a strict budget before Pegula.
You can't expect a GM to put together a contending team every year with ****** owners.
Couldn't have said it better. Keep Darcy.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
Darcy has had 2 top 10 picks in his career (#5 Vanek and #9 Rasmussen). No team wins the cup without high drafted talent any more. I dislike some of his 2nd round pick trades, but on the whole he has drafted and traded well. If you look at the 10-15 picks after his 1st round busts, you would be hard pressed to find better choices. I want this team to win, but it pains me to admit that we need to be bad for a year or two to eventually be great. I am tired of drafting at 10-13 every year and hoping for the #8 seed.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
His job is more than just making trades and acquiring assets. His job is still to build a roster that puts us in contention to win that shiny silver thing, not to win trades in a vacuum, and he hasn't done that in many years. He was atrocious last summer, and that hurt our team this year.

It's time for a change.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Keep him on as a consultant or something but hire a new GM. I don't know if that would work but I like what he does in the draft and with his trades, I don't like his vision of a competitive roster.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:39 PM
slip

Thanks for the picks, Darcy. Ciao.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
His job is more than just making trades and acquiring assets. His job is still to build a roster that puts us in contention to win that shiny silver thing, not to win trades in a vacuum, and he hasn't done that in many years. He was atrocious last summer, and that hurt our team this year.

It's time for a change.
Agreed. That's where I eventually fall when I think about it.

Does he win trades? Sure. Does it end up meaning anything? Nope. Fire him.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
AirBriere48

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

It's time for a change.
What are you referring to? I assume you mean two summers ago (Leino, Regehr, Ehrhoff), not this past summer (Ott, Grigs, Girgs)...right?

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Criispen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Keep Darcy.
Thanks, was going to say more but the clock is almost 3 AM and i need some sleep.

And what Ron C said, one of the biggest reasons we are where we are is because even though we were on such a strict budget, the owners still expected us to win. Even with the loss of Drury, Briere and Campbell, Darcy was still expected to win, so he never went full Edmonton. Resulting in us never getting those high picks Edmonton got. And man, I still hate Edmonton for that offersheet.

Criispen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Ace1963

Regier's a genius at building Stanley Cup champions using draft picks and minor league prospects. His 16 year record proves that. Why would anyone want him gone

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

Ideal world: Regier's the No. 2 and chief negotiator for an aggressive GM with a bigger-picture vision.

WGR world: Patrick Roy for joint coach and GM.

Likely world: Same old Regier. Good at some stuff, bad at other stuff.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

As much as I will cut Regier some slack for being handcuffed for a large part of his tenure here, there were still enough bad decisions made that I'm not sure I trust him to move forward.

Bring in a new GM. Let him hire a new coach, and move from there.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He's shown the ability to make what appear to be good asset gains to the fanbase, but as Zip points out, his ability to assemble a roster and be aggressive enough to fill the holes evident in what he has assembled has been shown to be severely lacking over the years. His passivity and patience lends itself to high-return selling since others will eventually come up to his price in most instances. However, any element of boldness, of action when immediate action is needed? Not part of his makeup and it hamstrings this team terribly.

I'm glad he got what he did for the assets he moved this year. I still don't think he deserves to be retained because he's the architect of this lottery team. He needs to go and a new hand brought in to guide the building of a contender.

04-03-2013, 08:33 PM
jfb392

Nice job making some moves that needed to be made, but I want a new set of eyes.
He's a big part of the reason why we are where we are right now and I still question what exactly he values in his players.

I'd also like to see them get a new Director of Amateur Scouting, which goes along with the GM.
Say what you will about how "successful" the Sabres have been drafting, but too many players seem to lack "it".

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
koarl

I'm still uncertain.
I'd like to see what he does at the draft and the days beyond. If he comes up with the soft market excuse in the offseason send him out.

koarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:58 PM
DYaeger89

Great, great trades by Darcy.

Now the sabres management has to do their part and fire Darcy.

I trust Darcy to get a good deal on deadline trades.
I do not trust Darcy to build a stanley cup winner.

DYaeger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
skibum

Engineering a fire sale is not something a GM should proudly hang his hat on. It's an easy time to get high returns for good assets.

But when you think about it, Darcy just traded away about 3 decades of NHL experience - guys with proven talent who should be core members of a winning team - because the team he put together was such a dud on the ice. Yes, he has pulled some major coups over the last few years, but the net result is the wrong players in the wrong situations. He has also shown that he's not willing to take big risks.

Darcy is good at acquiring pieces, but not so good at building a true team. I would like to see a different vision for the Sabres moving forward with the huge pile of tradeable assets Darcy has acquired.

There's a ton of draft picks and cap space to work with - pretty much a blank canvas. Darcy had his opportuinity, now it's time for a fresh take on things.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Better Call Saul

I like Darcy as a person and as a trader, but he's responsible for this disaster we're subjected to watching a few nights a week. It's largely his fault that the Sabres are currently rebuilding as opposed to contending. He should get the ax. Whether he will, I doubt it.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:18 PM
beerme1

The recent moves have zero impact on keeping him. FIRE him the day after the season is over. For the all the reasons we have found ourselves where we are.
Let someone else really change this team to it's core.
For the apologists who say it's not fair and we should allow him more time unshackled under Pegula I give you Brad Boyes and Ville Leino.

Darcy your time is near. Start packing your belongings and thank you for your service.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Regier is good in my book for another year or so. He knows his directive now is to win Big Shiny. Previously, his directive was to win Big Shiny if possible, but make sure Buffalo was in the playoffs every year thus making money.

He realizes that we have to endure sucking for a year or two, get some high end talent and get a few key pieces (such as that #3 center that Larsson just might be).

I think he's capable now of engineering some good things. And we know he pretty much hit a home run with his first coaching hire. I'd like to see him hire another coach.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote