HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, Drew Stafford

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2013, 02:45 PM
  #301
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbia, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 1h

Sabres captain Jason Pominville, clearly agitated by trade talk, says team has not asked him to submit list of teams he'd go to.
Good.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:00 PM
  #302
AirBriere48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 1h

Sabres captain Jason Pominville, clearly agitated by trade talk, says team has not asked him to submit list of teams he'd go to.
On the one hand, I don't doubt this. On the other hand, would he say so if he were asked? If he said yes, Darcy asked me for a list, that kinda makes for an awkward interview - and one that could easily be avoided by remaining mum about it until Wednesday.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:21 PM
  #303
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 41,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
The problem is who knows how long they will actually be in Phoenix.

Personally, I think Miller cares more about winning than being close to SoCal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
Agreed. I think priority #1 for him is winning a Cup.
Contenders aren't looking for goalies at the trade deadline

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:06 PM
  #304
Jim Bob
I Believe
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Contenders aren't looking for goalies at the trade deadline
We were talking about the 8 teams that Miller put on his list of teams he wouldn't go to that he reportedly gave to the Sabres before the season.

Miller doesn't strike me as a guy that would want to go to the uncertainty of the Coyotes situation just because his wife is based out of LA.

Especially given the quotes he gave about their living situation when he dispelled the rumor about him trying to get traded to SoCal that were out there before.

For instance, I'm guessing he put the Islanders on the list because they suck and not because their on the East Coast.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
  #305
Ralonzo
Я хочу!
 
Ralonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,591
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
To quote the illustrious Randolph Duke.... "SELL, SELL, SELL!"
Just because I haven't tripped across it here yet:


Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:41 PM
  #306
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Just because I haven't tripped across it here yet:

Then you haven't looked good enough. It's like in 3 or 4 different threads in the past 10 days



It's still funny

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:43 PM
  #307
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Andrew Peters basically said today if you trade our veteran players and go young the team will be terrible all the young players will get hurt and beat up.
I don't think this is very hard to decipher. He means that all the young players will be outmatched on every line and get dominated. That will hurt their performance, confidence, development, and possible trade value. Yeah they're not good now, but with a full tilt youth movement they won't be competitive at all and be 29th or 30th the entire season, each season. Collecting top picks is not necessarily a recipe for success. Pittsburgh had lottery luck but more importantly a great front office. Edmonton is an on-going project but they have a questionable front office, and no success yet to show for their multiple tank jobs.

I'm not sure why so many on the tank job/youth movement bandwagon have so much confidence in picks/prospects panning out to expectations. They COULD, but the NHL is littered with many more examples of blown potential. It is MORE likely to never get the same production in multiple pieces for one player of Vanek's, Pominville's, or Miller's calibre. If they are about to be has-beens or want out then that's different, but they have prime years and an apparent desire to stay. There are other players worth trading to build a youth movement. Go that route first (Regehr, Leopold, Stafford, Gerbe, maybe Myers or Ennis, etc).

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:13 PM
  #308
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Just because I haven't tripped across it here yet:



slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:16 PM
  #309
Karate Johnson*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I don't think this is very hard to decipher. He means that all the young players will be outmatched on every line and get dominated. That will hurt their performance, confidence, development, and possible trade value. Yeah they're not good now, but with a full tilt youth movement they won't be competitive at all and be 29th or 30th the entire season, each season. Collecting top picks is not necessarily a recipe for success. Pittsburgh had lottery luck but more importantly a great front office. Edmonton is an on-going project but they have a questionable front office, and no success yet to show for their multiple tank jobs.

I'm not sure why so many on the tank job/youth movement bandwagon have so much confidence in picks/prospects panning out to expectations. They COULD, but the NHL is littered with many more examples of blown potential. It is MORE likely to never get the same production in multiple pieces for one player of Vanek's, Pominville's, or Miller's calibre. If they are about to be has-beens or want out then that's different, but they have prime years and an apparent desire to stay. There are other players worth trading to build a youth movement. Go that route first (Regehr, Leopold, Stafford, Gerbe, maybe Myers or Ennis, etc).
Vanek, Miller and Pominvilles production has amounted to nothing since 2007.

We need a new structure.


And you're being a little over dramatic in regards to "never" replacing them.... Try are decent players.... At times great. But they aren't generational talents or 100 point players. Never have been, never will be.

We can replace them if we draft well and make good trades.

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:25 PM
  #310
Ron C.
Registered User
 
Ron C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 370
I have been saying it for months, every team to win the cup(since the lockout + one or two years) has had 2 or more top 4 picks in their line-up. The only exception is the Red Wings who happened to have 3, if not 4, HOF'er on their roster. The bottom line is that, in the NHL, you have to lose to win.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:06 PM
  #311
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Vanek, Miller and Pominvilles production has amounted to nothing since 2007.

We need a new structure.


And you're being a little over dramatic in regards to "never" replacing them.... Try are decent players.... At times great. But they aren't generational talents or 100 point players. Never have been, never will be.

We can replace them if we draft well and make good trades.
I never said you can't replace them. Players of that level can be traded for at a high price or be drafted every so often. "Every so often" being once every few seasons maybe. That's different than what I said though. Getting a draft pick/prospect that actually pans out and produces to expectations in the same trade that sees your top player go is just not likely, simply because odds are maybe one of every 3-6 1st or 2nd rd picks actually ends up being a 60-70 pt player. We all like to think the 1st rd pick we get for Vanek/Pominville will end up being another player as productive as they are 3-4 years down the line, but reality is that it's just not likely to end up that way. Just look back through the last 5-10 drafts in the 1st rd and count the busts. Draft picks are a crap shoot unless you get down to the top 3-5, and even then...

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:21 PM
  #312
Ralonzo
Я хочу!
 
Ralonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,591
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Then you haven't looked good enough. It's like in 3 or 4 different threads in the past 10 days
Yeah, I suppose it had to be... At least it wasn't in this thread yet?

Quote:
It's still funny
True, true...

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:39 PM
  #313
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cressona/Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,223
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...29056486014976

Quote:
Ryan Miller gave the #Sabres a list of 8 teams he wont accept a trade to before the season. Buffalo has 22 options if they want to deal him

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:41 PM
  #314
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~
 
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
haha no they don't

MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:49 PM
  #315
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,069
vCash: 500
NHL won't allow a team to trade a player to themselves yet?

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
  #316
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
sdfg

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:59 PM
  #317
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 11,328
vCash: 500
If Miller's submitted the list, that would mean the Sabres asked him to do so, no?

In which case, he is indeed being actively shopped, no?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:03 PM
  #318
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Contenders aren't looking for goalies at the trade deadline
St. Louis should be

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:07 PM
  #319
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 14,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
If Miller's submitted the list, that would mean the Sabres asked him to do so, no?

In which case, he is indeed being actively shopped, no?
"Before the season." That means it's probably just when he has to submit those terms to the contract.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:08 PM
  #320
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 11,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
"Before the season." That means it's probably just when he has to submit those terms to the contract.
Didn't catch that. Good call.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:10 PM
  #321
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 14,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
St. Louis should be
This. Chicago could also be in the market for an upgrade. Crawford has been fine this season, but he was absolutely awful in last year's playoffs, and who knows how much faith the Hawks' management has in him to get the job done?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:21 PM
  #322
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,069
vCash: 500
There will be a time, most likely in the playoffs, when Chicago isn't kicking butt at both ends of the ice and they'll need a goalie to bail them out once in a while. That's not Crawford, and after last playoffs they'd be foolish to not at least make some calls.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
  #323
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
This. Chicago could also be in the market for an upgrade. Crawford has been fine this season, but he was absolutely awful in last year's playoffs, and who knows how much faith the Hawks' management has in him to get the job done?
Honestly, I would have the Blues as the favorites in the West if they had Miller. Yes, over Chicago. They're the number 1 possession team in the league (consequently facing the least amount of shots) and have a line that can match up with anyone defensively. The only thing they're missing is goaltending. St. Louis has the NHL's worst team save % at .883. That's horrendous.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:25 PM
  #324
Karate Johnson*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,841
vCash: 500
All we need is a team that feels Miller is a solid if not great Goalie that is in a bad situation.

And that could very well be true... He's Been great in te past.

But we need to make changes, so I'd rather have his value in picks/prospects/young NHL players.

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:45 PM
  #325
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,069
vCash: 500
How about...

Miller to StL/Chicago for Elliott/Crawford, 1st rd pick and another pick/prospect.

Elliott/Crawford and Regehr to LA for Bernier.

End result - Miller and Regehr for Bernier, 1st rd pick and another pick/prospect.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.