HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo for Grabovski

Old
03-22-2013, 10:56 PM
kihei

vCash: 4535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
In healthy world would leafs be interested in deal around Booth for Kulemin?
In any world, no.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
In healthy world would leafs be interested in deal around Booth for Kulemin?
No, apparently he's a future HHOFer

Grabo @ 4.5 + Scrivens for Luo + 3rd + 4th + Ebbett

Last edited by Seatoo: 03-22-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:20 PM
ShortSideFlick

Adding a bunch of insignificant pieces doesn't make anyone want to take salary on both parts of the deal.

I understand how grabo at 5.5 doesn't work for vancouver. Lu + part of grabo's salary doesn't work for the leafs. I think this is done.

ShortSideFlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Bleach Clean

These next few game against BOS are going to be pretty telling. Signifying where th leafs actually are... Tough stretch coming up.

That said, CAR is going to have a lot to say about where the leafs end up. NYR eventually gets going, then it will be between CAR and TOR down the stretch to see who secures the final spot.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
These next few game against BOS are going to be pretty telling. Signifying where th leafs actually are... Tough stretch coming up.

That said, CAR is going to have a lot to say about where the leafs end up. NYR eventually gets going, then it will be between CAR and TOR down the stretch to see who secures the final spot.
So you think Luongo helps us against Boston?? He has as much confidence against Boston as Kessel does.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Regal

I'm not sure why other Canucks fans keep talking about Grabovski for the third line centre spot. Isn't the reason he's considered a trade option because he's being underutilized in a checking roll? He's a legit second line centre and would play with Kesler. I know everyone freaks out over moving Kesler to wing but I think he's actually better offensively there, and with his injury problems perhaps lightening his defensive load would be helpful.

Grabovski is very solid defensively as well and together they could be a pretty good pair to go up against other teams' top lines. That's frees up the third line to go against second units. The Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line has been very good at times and could be a solid unit going forward if AV let's Schroeder play his game. With Grabbo on the second line the 5.5 hit doesn't look so bad going forward. I don't think the Leafs would really have to take on salary.

Regal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:53 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
I'm not sure why other Canucks fans keep talking about Grabovski for the third line centre spot. Isn't the reason he's considered a trade option because he's being underutilized in a checking roll? He's a legit second line centre and would play with Kesler. I know everyone freaks out over moving Kesler to wing but I think he's actually better offensively there, and with his injury problems perhaps lightening his defensive load would be helpful.

Grabovski is very solid defensively as well and together they could be a pretty good pair to go up against other teams' top lines. That's frees up the third line to go against second units. The Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line has been very good at times and could be a solid unit going forward if AV let's Schroeder play his game. With Grabbo on the second line the 5.5 hit doesn't look so bad going forward. I don't think the Leafs would really have to take on salary.
I wouldn't mind trying Grabovski on the second line, while Kesler is on the third line, honestly. Kesler is a very, very good defensive player and takes pride in shutting down other teams top players. I think he could still provide offense in this role too because Hansen is no slouch offensively, and Booth has played good, the numbers just haven't been there.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Grabovski - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Weise
Sestito
Pinizzotto

Canucks would be able to go at their opposition in waves. With that being said, I'd be perfectly find with having a Raymond - Grabovski - Kesler line. Would give us a legitimate second line in god knows how long.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
capsrule26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Thought this would've been proposed long ago. Makes a lot of sense. No one needs to add IMO. Goalie values on HF > Goalie values in the NHL
A top 10 franchise goalie has value in the NHL, this would help TO now and the future.

capsrule26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:11 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I wouldn't mind trying Grabovski on the second line, while Kesler is on the third line, honestly. Kesler is a very, very good defensive player and takes pride in shutting down other teams top players. I think he could still provide offense in this role too because Hansen is no slouch offensively, and Booth has played good, the numbers just haven't been there.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Grabovski - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Hansen
Sestito
Pinizzotto

Canucks would be able to go at their opposition in waves. With that being said, I'd be perfectly find with having a Raymond - Grabovski - Kesler line. Would give us a legitimate second line in god knows how long.
I think Kesler stylistically is actually a perfect fit for Grabovski, offensively I think Kesler is basically a better version of 2010-2011 Nikolai Kulemin.

I really would've hated the idea of trading Grabovski going into this season but with the emergence of Kadri and the signing of McClement, I think it's a trade that actually makes a lot of sense.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
I think Kesler stylistically is actually a perfect fit for Grabovski, offensively I think Kesler is basically a better version of 2010-2011 Nikolai Kulemin.

I really would've hated the idea of trading Grabovski going into this season but with the emergence of Kadri and the signing of McClement, I think it's a trade that actually makes a lot of sense.
Point being, we would have a lot of options to work with, if we acquired Grabovski. He (Grabosvki) would help our PP a lot, whether he is playing on the first or second unit, would likely be the second unit as we don't have much of a threat on the second unit. Would greatly benefit players like Raymond since he really has no one to work with right now.

We could roll with three solid centers down the middle, or form a legit second line. Having these options would be great for in-game situations.

I don't think a Luongo for Grabovski deal is far off-base, if at all.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Peter Griffin

I like Grabovski and what he can provide(basically a lesser Kesler), but he's certainly overpaid and I think the Canucks' concerns with his contract would be a greater issue than the Leafs' concerns with Luongo. Yes Luongo's contract is longer, but right now with a falling salary cap, Luongo's cap hit is arguably less than what he's worth whereas Grabovski's is higher. When it comes time for Luongo to retire or be bought out there will be a cap penalty, likely around $2M per year, but that will almost certainly be under a rising salary cap. In essence the Canucks would feel the crunch more capwise taking on Grabovski than the Leafs would with Luongo, not to mention that Luongo is the better player with the bigger impact.

So really, if a deal involving Grabovski and Luongo were to go down the Canucks should be asking for more in return and/or the Leafs to eat some of Grabo's cap hit, at least for the next couple seasons. No way I'd consider the deal straight up. And no, adding Ben Scrivens doesn't make it equal.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:15 PM
ShortSideFlick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I like Grabovski and what he can provide(basically a lesser Kesler), but he's certainly overpaid and I think the Canucks' concerns with his contract would be a greater issue than the Leafs' concerns with Luongo. Yes Luongo's contract is longer, but right now with a falling salary cap, Luongo's cap hit is arguably less than what he's worth whereas Grabovski's is higher. When it comes time for Luongo to retire or be bought out there will be a cap penalty, likely around $2M per year, but that will almost certainly be under a rising salary cap. In essence the Canucks would feel the crunch more capwise taking on Grabovski than the Leafs would with Luongo, not to mention that Luongo is the better player with the bigger impact.

So really, if a deal involving Grabovski and Luongo were to go down the Canucks should be asking for more in return and/or the Leafs to eat some of Grabo's cap hit, at least for the next couple seasons. No way I'd consider the deal straight up. And no, adding Ben Scrivens doesn't make it equal.
Lol @ thinking lu's contract is better than grabo's.

ShortSideFlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:45 PM
david999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSideFlick View Post
Lol @ thinking lu's contract is better than grabo's.
Ya, I don't think Vancouver fans grasp the fact the Lou's contract would be massive for most teams to take on. My bet is that Gillis will have to throw in a prospect or pick to get anybody to even consider a trade, and likely get a real bad player/contract back.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
High cap hit versus long contract. Grabovski would be a good fit on this team, if there were not a cap. Two 5 million (+ in Grabovski's case) centers fighting it out for our 2C, and given his history with the team, I'd have to have Kesler's name engraved into that second line spot, would be a great luxury if we could afford it. With a 64.2 million dollar cap next year, we can't.

Contract and value there in aside, a starting goalie beats a middle six center. A top 10 goalie beats a 2nd line center.

No thank you, no thank you, no thank you. Small pieces on either side don't fix this either, IMO, there isn't a trade to be had centring on these two pieces.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:44 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsrule26 View Post
A top 10 franchise goalie has value in the NHL, this would help TO now and the future.
Time to rethink that top 10 goaltender comment.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:04 PM
iamtherunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
High cap hit versus long contract. Grabovski would be a good fit on this team, if there were not a cap. Two 5 million (+ in Grabovski's case) centers fighting it out for our 2C, and given his history with the team, I'd have to have Kesler's name engraved into that second line spot, would be a great luxury if we could afford it. With a 64.2 million dollar cap next year, we can't.
It is doable cap wise for next year. It means dumping Booth and Ballard for picks/prospects or if that isn't possible just buying them out. Re-sign Raymond for around 3 mil, Higgins for around 2, and Lappy for around 1.

It would make Schroeder expendable, possibly trade bait for a young winger or defenseman.

Lines like this would very good IMO:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Grabovski-Hansen
Sestito-Lapierre-Weise

iamtherunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:07 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtherunner View Post
It is doable cap wise for next year. It means dumping Booth and Ballard for picks/prospects or if that isn't possible just buying them out. Re-sign Raymond for around 3 mil, Higgins for around 2, and Lappy for around 1.

It would make Schroeder expendable, possibly trade bait for a young winger or defenseman.

Lines like this would very good IMO:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Grabovski-Hansen
Sestito-Lapierre-Weise
If we're unable to re-sign one or both of Higgins and Raymond, we at least have someone like Jensen who could be ready next season too.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:29 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
If we're unable to re-sign one or both of Higgins and Raymond, we at least have someone like Jensen who could be ready next season too.
I also think that Hansen may be ready for a top 6 role, he has really made the jump this year. Would like to put Jensen in a sheltered spot next year to see him succeed.

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Shareefruck

Toronto eating some of Grabovski's salary is a dealbreaker for me.

I do not agree with the sentiment of "bad contract for bad contract! Totally fair" at all. #1 goalie with bad contract vs. 2nd/3rd line tweener with bad contract are not equal.

I would like

Grabovski @4
Scrivens
3rd

Luongo
Crappier pick/prospect

I like the idea of Grabovski in this lineup though-- Can a Leafs fan give me a more detailed scouting report (in case I'm mistaken?

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Kassian - Grabovski - Kesler
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Ballard

Schneider
Scrivens

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-23-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:54 PM
veedubn1

Reims looked great vs Boston tonight.

Still not sure why certain Toronto fans feel we need to add a lot of cap space at that position instead of investing it elsewhere in the lineup.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:59 PM
kihei

vCash: 4535
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Reims looked great vs Boston tonight.

Still not sure why certain Toronto fans feel we need to add a lot of cap space at that position instead of investing it elsewhere in the lineup.
Grabovski looked pretty good, too. More attractive trade bait if he continues to heat up, or we just keep him, which would probably be the sensible thing anyway.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:00 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Toronto eating some of Grabovski's salary is a dealbreaker for me.

I do not agree with the sentiment of "bad contract for bad contract! Totally fair" at all. #1 goalie with bad contract vs. 2nd/3rd line tweener with bad contract are not equal.
Disregarding this year, Grabovski is/was a 1st/2nd line tweener not what you said.

FlowNoMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

Not really commenting on the value of the trade. Just thinking $5.5m for what would be the Canucks 3rd line centre is steep. I don't see any team adding Grabo who isn't sure he'll be at least their second best centre for the next four years.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Grabovski looked pretty good, too. More attractive trade bait if he continues to heat up, or we just keep him, which would probably be the sensible thing anyway.
I thought it was his best game this year for sure. That said, get him outta asap cause we'll be having this same conversation about him next year at the deadline. If they have a chance to get out from that deal, do it.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Disregarding this year, Grabovski is/was a 1st/2nd line tweener not what you said.
Fine. It's hard not to set a higher bar for a 1st line center. But I suppose calling Burrows a 1st/2nd line tweener is fair, and those are pretty similar numbers, so it's not out of the question. Would you say he's the same level of impact player for the Leafs as Burrows is for the Canucks though? I would probably call Grabovski a clear 2nd liner outside of this year.

Still though, I think calling it a bad salary for bad salary even swap is really disingenuous to the difference in their impact. One is a number one goalie, the other is clearly a lesser cog than that, unless I'm completely mistaken about how strong of a player Grabovski is (if so, I'm confused about why anyone would trade him before Bozak).

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-23-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote