Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Chia needs to make moves now.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:48 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
interesting that the Cup year around this time of season the Bruins had played one of their best games of the year- similar to the Capitals game last Saturday- beating on the scoreboard and on the ice the Habs 8-6. That was the line brawl game with Campbell and Boychuk going off. The Bruins took that momentum and got beat the next three games and the Bruins board was in panic mode- trade everyone, Krejci sucks, Ryder is a bum (Ryder and Boychuk would be benched soon after but both ended up playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs a few months later and did ok)

Back then the Bruins had been 39 years without a Cup but also probably didnt have as many fans as they had not picked up what they have with the Cup run.

They are bleeping off right now- but going into last night they had been tied or ahead in the third period of 28 of 29 games.

Its a combination of three things- mental fatigue, physical fatigue, and lack of confidence.

They need to get simple, tweek the lines- ask the President to pardon the breakup of the second line for a few games atleast- stick Horton with Bergeron, and Seguin with Krejci. Like getting a new haircut, buying a new iphone, do something a bit different and change your attitude.

this is really the same team that steamrolled the Canucks and the league from November to early January last season

Julien needs to
1. separate Horton and Lucic and hence change it up- its stale
2. tell them everyone is tired- ****ing get over it, or go home and take a nap
3. tell them you are freaking playing way to passive and reactionary and start to attack, attack, attack- but do it smartly

all teams go through this stuff in all sports its character and perserverence that determine your result....this team should be loaded with both

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:50 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
to be the best powerplay in the nhl? Sure you may be right.
But talent doesn't explain down right awful.
(i know these lines aren't accurate)
Lucic Seguin Krejci
Chara Seids

Marchand Bergeron Horton
Hamilton ference

should get you out of a 22-25th rank
Yet not ONE of those mentioned, outside of Marchand, is willing to go and plant his arse in front of the net. Looch, IMO, moves too slow, Krejci is brutally slow with puck movement.

I put nobody but Bergy/Marchand and Segs out there, sprinkled in with some Spooner/Pevs and here we go, gonna say it, gonna get hammered for it but I`ll guarantee one thing, he`ll plant his arse where we need someone planted, and that`s DIRECTLY in front of the goalie, not off to the side, love to see Paille standing right in front

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Yet not ONE of those mentioned, outside of Marchand, is willing to go and plant his arse in front of the net. Looch, IMO, moves too slow, Krejci is brutally slow with puck movement.

I put nobody but Bergy/Marchand and Segs out there, sprinkled in with some Spooner/Pevs and here we go, gonna say it, gonna get hammered for it but I`ll guarantee one thing, he`ll plant his arse where we need someone planted, and that`s DIRECTLY in front of the goalie, not off to the side, love to see Paille standing right in front
Disagree with this. Lucic has been living in front of the net (did again last night as well) whenever that line can get any type of sustained offensive pressure. Problem is that line getting any type of sustained offensive pressure is a rare thing these days.

Kaoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

A ton of interesting posts... Depending on the outcome of this season, Chiarelli will have to question the makeup of the team. He re-signed Kelly/Peverly because they were a part of the SC team. Maybe this team won the Cup because all the planets were aligned and not because the Bruins had an "over the top" roster. Horton and Ference need to be let go. Decision need to be made on Mcquaid,Kelly and Peverly too. I'm starting to question Lucic's motivation/work ethic. If the guy doesn't show positive signs during the season, Chiarelli will have to think, long and hard, about buying out his extension (if it's possible -- paging DOM, here ). 6 per for a player who look disinterested, at best, and produce a Ton of givaways can't be paid 6 per...

Latrappe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:07 AM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
A ton of interesting posts... Depending on the outcome of this season, Chiarelli will have to question the makeup of the team. He re-signed Kelly/Peverly because they were a part of the SC team. Maybe this team won the Cup because all the planets were aligned and not because the Bruins had an "over the top" roster. Horton and Ference need to be let go. Decision need to be made on Mcquaid,Kelly and Peverly too. I'm starting to question Lucic's motivation/work ethic. If the guy doesn't show positive signs during the season, Chiarelli will have to think, long and hard, about buying out his extension (if it's possible -- paging DOM, here ). 6 per for a player who look disinterested, at best, and produce a Ton of givaways can't be paid 6 per...
Lucic is overpaid by 1-1.5 million. Not enough reason to buy him out. Thats crazy talk.

The stanley Cup Roster was deep. Thats the difference. We hav 0 depth right now. Hell we can't even ice a third line.

Lucic-Krecji-Horton
Marchy-Bergy-Rex
Ryder-Pevs-Kelly
Merlot

13th forward Segs(granted not the Seguin we have now, but a huge offensive improvement over Pandolfo.)

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Best move Chia can make:

Bring in the just fired Guy Boucher as an assistant to run the PP.
Guy Boucher has done nothing but swoon over the Bruins and Clode to the media whenever he's had the opportunity. I think he would love to be a coach here.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:09 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:

IMO the movement is due to the powerplay they're practicing. They all look slow, but more because they have no clue what to do when they're not FIGHTING for a puck.

I'm not sure you're giving Lucic the credit he deserves. He's been screening the net, but you have to get shots on net to be screened in the first place.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:09 AM
ODAAT

This team can`t even even score 5 on 5 and were worried about the Power Play

Old
03-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Lucic is overpaid by 1-1.5 million. Not enough reason to buy him out. Thats crazy talk.

The stanley Cup Roster was deep. Thats the difference. We hav 0 depth right now. Hell we can't even ice a third line.

Lucic-Krecji-Horton
Marchy-Bergy-Rex
Ryder-Pevs-Kelly
Merlot

13th forward Segs(granted not the Seguin we have now, but a huge offensive improvement over Pandolfo.)
You think it's crazy to remove 6 per from your cap space for a guy who look disinterested and who is not contributing to team's success? How it's crazy? Is it crazy to trade Peverly because his play is subpar and because he's a liability, this year? It's not crazy talk, it's keeping all options open.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Best move Chia can make:

Bring in the just fired Guy Boucher as an assistant to run the PP.
Was thinking the exact same thing when I saw he was let go, but what are the chances he'd accept an assistant position?

Old
03-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Was thinking the exact same thing when I saw he was let go, but what are the chances he'd accept an assistant position?
As I said in my early post, this guy loves the Bruins and Julien. Probably has a life-size poster of him in his bedroom.

But Geoff Ward has Pandolfo-level job security.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
You think it's crazy to remove 6 per from your cap space for a guy who look disinterested and who is not contributing to team's success? How it's crazy? Is it crazy to trade Peverly because his play is subpar and because he's a liability, this year? It's not crazy talk, it's keeping all options open.
It's about as crazy as crazy can get. There isn't a physical presence anywhere close to Lucic in the Bruins system (or any other teams for that matter). You buyout Lucic, a team like Toronto buys him up for similar money and then that "Hard not to like Toronto" thread makes even more sense. Or worse, a team like Vancouver/Montreal gets him and he rag dolls the Bruins forwards every single chance he gets.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:17 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
This team can`t even even score 5 on 5 and were worried about the Power Play
5 on 5 slumps come and go (bruins are 7th 5on5 scoring) but the bruins haven't had a powerplay to speak of for a long time now (08/09 being the anomaly).

You look at all our 1g losses. the power play could make the difference, it can help you out when your 5 on 5 game is struggling. Never mind the fact that when an opposing team knows your Powerplay is junk, they will play you even more aggressively knowing that at worst case scenario they'll be in the box for 2 mins.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:18 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
IMO the movement is due to the powerplay they're practicing. They all look slow, but more because they have no clue what to do when they're not FIGHTING for a puck.

I'm not sure you're giving Lucic the credit he deserves. He's been screening the net, but you have to get shots on net to be screened in the first place.
I can agree with the first part, but #2....sorry, watch Looch in front, he`ll stand directly in front, then when a shot is about to come in, he`ll slide to the side in hopes of a tip.

The Sens were notorious for doing this for too long. A screen loses all effectiveness the moment someone shifts out. And for this reason, I`d fire a Paille in front of the net, we know one thing, you won`t see Paille try for the skilled play ie: tip ins from the side

Old
03-24-2013, 09:19 AM
bp13

Quote:
Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
Bergeron-Chara-Rask spine of B's. Everything/everyone else should be negotiable.
I would have agreed until the last two weeks. Seguin is finally getting it, and I wouldn't dare move him unless I was overwhelmed. And obviously you never trade a young dman like Hamilton.

Otherwise no guarantees for me. Though I would need to be bowled over to move Marchand. He is the energy on this team that Lucic used to be.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
It's about as crazy as crazy can get. There isn't a physical presence anywhere close to Lucic in the Bruins system (or any other teams for that matter). You buyout Lucic, a team like Toronto buys him up for similar money and then that "Hard not to like Toronto" thread makes even more sense. Or worse, a team like Vancouver/Montreal gets him and he rag dolls the Bruins forwards every single chance he gets.
And can you tell me where this "physical" presence is, since the beginning of the season?

Old
03-24-2013, 09:21 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
5 on 5 slumps come and go (bruins are 7th 5on5 scoring) but the bruins haven't had a powerplay to speak of for a long time now (08/09 being the anomaly).

You look at all our 1g losses. the power play could make the difference, it can help you out when your 5 on 5 game is struggling. Never mind the fact that when an opposing team knows your Powerplay is junk, they will play you even more aggressively knowing that at worst case scenario they'll be in the box for 2 mins.
No arguement here and yet, doesn`t appear as though it`s being addressed as other than slight changes in personel, there`s no changes to system or approach. Again, never have I seen a 5 man unit "attack" with less speed. Speed is created through the neutral zone, and how that is done is with players crossing over, building speed then attacking, when was the last time you saw the wingers be anywhere other than on the wall, in their usual spot, trying to build speed from the offensive blue line in?

I`m a massive CJ backer, but this PP is a joke and like you said, NO team has issues playing aggressive knowing if they get penalized, this team will punish them

Old
03-24-2013, 09:26 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
No arguement here and yet, doesn`t appear as though it`s being addressed as other than slight changes in personel, there`s no changes to system or approach. Again, never have I seen a 5 man unit "attack" with less speed. Speed is created through the neutral zone, and how that is done is with players crossing over, building speed then attacking, when was the last time you saw the wingers be anywhere other than on the wall, in their usual spot, trying to build speed from the offensive blue line in?

I`m a massive CJ backer, but this PP is a joke and like you said, NO team has issues playing aggressive knowing if they get penalized, this team will punish them
yessir,

when kaberle was brought in he was supposed to improve our powerplay with better movement through one end to the other. So then why the **** was he getting to the red line and firing the ****er down the boards for someone to go get it lol

Now granted, Kaberle is a shell of a player now and perhaps that was the beginning. But the bruins didn't know that when they acquired him. I mean this guy litterally would skate to the red line, wind up and shoot the puck down the ice and remember saying to myself "thats what a PMD is supposed to do?"

that's when I was convinced whoever was running our powerplay should be strung up from Jumbotron.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
And can you tell me where this "physical" presence is, since the beginning of the season?
104 hits

Old
03-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
104 hits
And that's by NHL.com's numbers which are horrible when it comes to hits. Lucic hit 3 people in the first period last night, ran at Franson at around the 6:30 mark, and hit both Fraser and Kulemin around the 15 minute mark. NHL.com credits him with one hit for the game.

Not even touching on the fact that Lucic was one of the only forwards with a net front presence last night (and it led directly to one of Boston's goals).

Old
03-24-2013, 09:32 AM
BruinsPortugal

I tought they showed a lot of improvement when they devided to have a PP unit with Seguin &Hamilton. But it seems there is always something missing...

The pp has been terrible for years so the only sane conclusion is that the coaching staff is doing something wrong.

Is Boucher the solution? meh i have no idea but its worth a shot.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:34 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Not sure this was mentioned, but yesterday Iggy released the 4 teams he'd accept a trade to:

Pits, Boston, L.A., Chicago

down to 4

Somehow I think Calgary refuses the trade to L.A. because of who is behind the bench. So imho 3 man race.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:37 AM
CamFan81
Derp

and i doubt Calgary moves him anywhere in the west...

pitts/boston

with an unknown team floating around

Old
03-24-2013, 09:38 AM
BruinsPortugal

He will go to Pitts.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:42 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
and i doubt Calgary moves him anywhere in the west...

pitts/boston

with an unknown team floating around

I don't think the West/East thing applies because he's a UFA. He could win a cup and retire, he could win a cup and head back to Calgary, he could take a cup run, lose, and head back to Calgary. There's no guarantee that he stays in Chicago if he goes there. Think Hossa and all his yearly moves.

I agree that the Pens are in the lead in Iggy's heart. It's gonna come down to who gives Calgary the better deal, since ultimately the GM is trying to rebuild.

I also didn't know the Pens had the cap space. They've got over 8M, not bad.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote