HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's face it, our Islanders just aren't a good team, not a playoff team

Old
03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Isles4ever82

vCash: 500
This team has no heart,mental toughness,will never go anywhere with this "core".....

I hate to say it but this crop of Islanders just has no mental toughness or heart with the exception for a few. The way this team is set up, they will just never go anywhere in the playoffs.
We just dont have the kind ofmental toughness, battle tested,gritty, stick your nose into the corners and take a hit to get to the puck type of players. We only have those type of players on the 4 th line and occasional 3rd line when McDonald and Aucoin are on the 3rd.
The point is you cant win when your not getting the effort out of the top 2 linen by efffort I mean finishing your checks, going into the corners to get your nose dirty, have some mental toughness and outside of John Tavares I really would not want to go to battle with anyone else during tough physical playoff series. As much as I like Moulsoun,KO,Grabner,Frans,Boyes,Bailey basically all 1st and 2nd liners and I just dont ever see us winning anything with this bunch of fowards. They all play the same old way, non plysical,small, shy away from making a hit, play scared at times and never ever go into the corners to get your nose dirty for the good of the team.

I just think we have to many of the same one dimensional type of players on the first 2 lines.
Anyone who watches playoff hockey knows or should know by now what I have been saying for years about this core is that outside of a few most of these guys on the top 2 lines I wouldent want to go into playoff battle with.

I also think this contributes to so many 3rd period blown leads . I think by the 3rd our guys on the top 2 lines are so tired and worn out from being manhandled all night from the opposing team that they are just physically spent by the 3rd.

Isles4ever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:44 PM
IwayMike

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!!

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
RMimagery

I'm not reading all these we suck posts. But I'm not going to argue that the 3rd period of the last two games were horrendous, but look more carefully at the last game.

First 2 goals were highly unlikely deflections. The first by Kassian had a seeing eye that was guided by a laser to bounce under Nabby. The second just altered the height of the shot past him. Nice goals and not his fault. The 3rd, Nabakov was screened by Hickey, he should know not to stand right in front of his goalie, maybe he learned something on positioning.

The non goal was some serious BS. That was not a distinct kicking motion and we know we're not going to get help from the league. If that's the Canadiens , Leafs, Pens etc... it's a good goal.

I do fault the five players on the ice with a minute left. That wasn't composure. This team is still growing into maturity together and they will learn from their mistakes.

Before the Sens game, the team was 5-1-2. One bad loss with questionable calls and flukey goals and all the good mojo is lost? Don't give up so easily.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:11 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
I'm not reading all these we suck posts. But I'm not going to argue that the 3rd period of the last two games were horrendous, but look more carefully at the last game.

First 2 goals were highly unlikely deflections. The first by Kassian had a seeing eye that was guided by a laser to bounce under Nabby. The second just altered the height of the shot past him. Nice goals and not his fault. The 3rd, Nabakov was screened by Hickey, he should know not to stand right in front of his goalie, maybe he learned something on positioning.

The non goal was some serious BS. That was not a distinct kicking motion and we know we're not going to get help from the league. If that's the Canadiens , Leafs, Pens etc... it's a good goal.

I do fault the five players on the ice with a minute left. That wasn't composure. This team is still growing into maturity together and they will learn from their mistakes.

Before the Sens game, the team was 5-1-2. One bad loss with questionable calls and flukey goals and all the good mojo is lost? Don't give up so easily.
Do people seriously believe this crap?

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:13 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Do people seriously believe this crap?
no....the Leafs and Habs don't get those calls. The Pens, NYR and whoever we are playing any given night do.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:26 PM
peter021

I think the frustrating thing about the Ottawa loss is that it was a perfect moment to show they were ready to become a playoff team, even if it's just as an 8th seed. A win puts them 2 over .500 and solidly in the playoff picture.

As has happened a few times in recent memory, they get close to showing they are putting it together and then blow up at the end. Maybe it's coaching and preparation. I'd like to see a new coach behind the bench.

Normally, I'd say the team doesn't deserve the playoffs, and if they were an older squad I wouldn't want them to sneak in and get mowed down in the first round. But these kids need a taste of playoff hockey, even if they bow out in the opening round. They need a taste of that next level of NHL hockey so that when the team does get better, they're better prepared to make a run.

peter021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Chapin Landvogt
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter021 View Post
Normally, I'd say the team doesn't deserve the playoffs, and if they were an older squad I wouldn't want them to sneak in and get mowed down in the first round. But these kids need a taste of playoff hockey, even if they bow out in the opening round. They need a taste of that next level of NHL hockey so that when the team does get better, they're better prepared to make a run.
Good point.

Even if it'd ONLY benefit JT, well it's practically worth it.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
wingnutks

We'll make it, probably clinch it the 3rd to last game against the Canes... facing a back up goalie. Probably lose in the shootout though.

Last edited by wingnutks: 04-23-2013 at 09:28 PM.
wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Exactly. They show glimpses, but not good enough to keep up the entire season. They are still 2 top 4 dmen, a top 6 winger and a 2nd line center away IMO. That's a lot of dough (which we know that cheap **** won't spend) and a lot of bodies away from making the playoffs.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 807
The refs didn't make the Isles give up a goal with a minute left-or get completely outplayed by Montreal (or outplayed by themselves). This team isn't good-it was clear in the pre-season and it's clear now. Just wait until we're in the new division...we're doomed.

PS-The sky isn't falling...it's all ready fallen. That's what happens when you win exactly ZERO playoff series in 20 years...some of the posters on here weren't even alive!

edit: BTW we're closer to 14th place than 8th....just saying.

Last edited by ScaredStreit: 03-22-2013 at 02:24 PM.
ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:27 PM
RMimagery

We must be the only team without a win by a backup goalie. Can't sniff the playoffs that way.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:06 PM
HyeDray

Islanders are what they are.

More or less... a .500 team.

That is an improvement from last year, though no where near enough.

Youth will continue to phase in.

Excited about Strome, Lee, Nino, Nelson and others.

Clearly the team is better this season then in years past.

Trouble is consistency, and those growing pains are part of a maturing team.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:09 AM
startainfection*

with the right coach this team could fight for the 5 or 6 seed

we don't have the right coach

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Chapin Landvogt
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Islanders are what they are.

More or less... a .500 team.
I doubt we'll finish that way.

We're already at the phase where each game is meaning more and more. We're having a hard time with it.

Regardless of what happens at the trade deadline, I'd be shocked to see this Islander team win more than 7 of the last 17 games.

Shocked.

The team just ain't good enough. Too many weaknesses. Too many holes in the construction.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 03-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

This is the one year where I'm thinking, "**** it". The team has some UFAs worth something, especially with the cap going down next year and teams up against the ceiling looking to make a run before they have to get rid of players in the offseason. I'm usually for making the playoffs, but I wouldn't mind selling off these players like Streit, Viz, Boyes and Nabby, culling some assets and using them to make moves in the offseason that are are actual real answers rather than placeholders.

Of course, this would be predicated on having an owner that cared about winning hockey games and not spending as little as possible, so I'm sure we'll resign these dudes to cheap contracts and continue to flounder.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:59 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
This is the one year where I'm thinking, "**** it". The team has some UFAs worth something, especially with the cap going down next year and teams up against the ceiling looking to make a run before they have to get rid of players in the offseason. I'm usually for making the playoffs, but I wouldn't mind selling off these players like Streit, Viz, Boyes and Nabby, culling some assets and using them to make moves in the offseason that are are actual real answers rather than placeholders.

Of course, this would be predicated on having an owner that cared about winning hockey games and not spending as little as possible, so I'm sure we'll resign these dudes to cheap contracts and continue to flounder.
Not for nothing, but why get rid of Streit, Viz and Nabby? Three veterans who are actually probably good to have around. What we REALLY need to do (and which won't happen cause Snowang sucks) is go out and sign a UFA or two that will really help this team and fill a position of need (Elite winger for JT, #1 D-man?).

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Not for nothing, but why get rid of Streit, Viz and Nabby? Three veterans who are actually probably good to have around.
Because they have value now and can get you tangible assets like picks and prospects that you can use in the offseason to acquire a good player via trade. All these guys are on the downslides of their careers.

Again, I don't usually endorse this type of mindset, but I just think the stars are aligned due to the short season, the cap going down and having a few players worth a squirt of piss (unlike the Fedetenkos, etc of the past). The Isles can actually start next season in earnest with some good pieces in place, instead of the same old also-rans like a sharply declining Streit or a 39 year old Vis who will in all likelihood go overseas anyway.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

The Islanders need to spend money this off season on FA and then trade Josh Bailey, Kyle Okposo and Michael Grabner. Package them in a major deal to bring in real talent.

I love Grabner but we gotta give to get and I wrote off Josh Barely and Kyle Comeau (see what I did there) last year

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
The Islanders need to spend money this off season on FA and then trade Josh Bailey, Kyle Okposo and Michael Grabner. Package them in a major deal to bring in real talent.

I love Grabner but we gotta give to get and I wrote off Josh Barely and Kyle Comeau (see what I did there) last year
I still have trouble removing Bailey. He is a smart kid and has talent and skill and gets to play with drek. Okposo....trade him while he's hot!

Old
03-23-2013, 06:21 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 807
Quote:

Bailey and Okposo have NO trade value at all. Being a former 1st round pick means nothing. Especially considering Okposo's contract.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Bailey and Okposo have NO trade value at all. Being a former 1st round pick means nothing. Especially considering Okposo's contract.

exactly they are a dime a dozen and that is why I want to trade our 1st overall pick this year to bring in someone big. (Spare me the deep draft crap.. EVERY FRIGGIN YEAR ITS A "DEEP DRAFT"

People forget Ryan O'Marra and Nilsson got us Smyth and even I can say that Okposo and Bailey are FAR MORE BETTER THEN THOSE 2 HACKS!!

I would add another player like Grabner or Nino or draft pick to get the job done If either cant deliver something greater in return.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:17 PM
redbull
manage the *uck

The playoffs are easy, it just costs money.

Sign THREE of: Weiss, Filppula, Morrow,Clarkson, Horton,
TWO of: Regehr, Scuderi, Lydman
Keep Streit and Visnovsky and Nabokov

Trade: Boyes and Moulson because they don't work hard enough.

Suddenly Okposo and Bailey and a bunch of others fall into more natural roles.

Morrow - Tavares - Horton
Bailey - Weiss - (Strome or Niederreiter or Nelson or Lee or whomever wins a job)
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

Streit - Regehr
Scuderi - Visnovsky
Hamonic - MacDonald
Strait

Nabokov - whoever

Now this is easily a playoff team.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
The playoffs are easy, it just costs money.

Sign THREE of: Weiss, Filppula, Morrow,Clarkson, Horton,
TWO of: Regehr, Scuderi, Lydman
Keep Streit and Visnovsky and Nabokov

Trade: Boyes and Moulson because they don't work hard enough.

Suddenly Okposo and Bailey and a bunch of others fall into more natural roles.

Morrow - Tavares - Horton
Bailey - Weiss - (Strome or Niederreiter or Nelson or Lee or whomever wins a job)
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

Streit - Regehr
Scuderi - Visnovsky
Hamonic - MacDonald
Strait

Nabokov - whoever

Now this is easily a playoff team.
An 8th seed 1st round elimination team - Congratulations you just built the 2012 Florida Panthers

Old
03-24-2013, 02:46 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
An 8th seed 1st round elimination team - Congratulations you just built the 2012 Florida Panthers
Wang won't let us spend except for one move to show he cares and always has.

Moulson - Tavares - Horton
Bailey - Boyes - Okposo
Nino - Nielson - Grabner
Martin - Nelson - MacDonald

Strait - Streit
Hamonic - MacDonald
Hickey - Carkner/scrub
Finley

I actually think we're pretty good with this. Could be better, but we named a chipotle eating slob as GM and got our coach off of Craigslist.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:52 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

O rly?

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote