HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation Part IV: Find me the next Morris Wanchuk!!

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 03:10 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
They aren't... that's the point. They have the proven veterans in place. They, like Buffalo, have constructual problems with their roster... and lack talent around their core.

That's the difference between our viewpoint. I evaluate a core... and determine whether it is capable or not... you don't. You see a core, and think... "yup, just have to fix the problems around it"... regardless of the history, evidence, etc
Its incredible how you keep clinging to Tampa as a model for anything. Stevie Y has yet to do much and is an overrated GM. Boucher, your golden boy coach, implemented a simplistic defensive sytem that was unique. But once NHL level coaches had a chance to break it down after Boucher's first season, it was torn apart the next two years. Tampa's overall lack of talent put them back where they belonged in the standings.

Now you're arguing their core is in great shape? and proven. Proven? The current group has made the playoffs once. It has a 50pt center making 10mil in actual salary and 7+mil cap hit. They have a lot of work to do to imoriove that roster and getting rid of Vinny L and that contract along with getting talent for soon to be 38 year old St. Louis would be good steps in the right direction. Stamkos and Hedman are young enough for rebuilding that way to make sense.

The also have no goaltending.
Quote:
It's typical for you to attempt to reduce larger issues to singular statements. This is no different than taking the finer details of rebuilding, and reducing it to "intentionally losing"
Leadership is not THE reason we aren't winning. Lack of talent is, particularly in key areas. No captain or leader can make a shutdown center materialize on a roster when one doesn't exist, Nor can they make a shutdown pairing appear either or secondary scoring.

Quote:
No conclusion you have ever come to, regarding someone's opinion is ever remotely close
This is rich coming from you.

Old
03-30-2013, 03:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ironically, we have the talent in the NON key areas... (wing/goal)

If we don't have ANYWHERE NEAR that talent need to be highly competitive... why are you against the full rebuild?

You've stated that we should make the trades necessary to build around the talent we have. So while you've been ragging on those you accuse of having the "delusion" regarding the impact of leadership... let me point out your own delusion..
Considering posters have different ideas on what a "full" rebuild is. Please define yours and then I'll tell you if I'm for or against it.

But I will say I'm not against trading Vanek, Pommer or Miller to make the team better. But I don't feel they HAVE to be traded.

Quote:
you think we can acquire the talent necessary to be a highly competitive team through trade..
You realize that changing the make up of this team regardless of how will require trades to facilitate it. Or do you plan on waiving Vanek, Miller, Pommer or any other players you want gone?

Last edited by joshjull: 03-30-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:

"Get back in there idiot and sell, sell!"

03-30-2013, 03:28 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

Love that movie

I'm pretty sure we will be doing plenty of selling between now and the deadline.

Old
03-30-2013, 03:29 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Blues GM Doug Armstrong says they are running with a Halak/Elliott tandem for the rest of the year.
Remove a Miller destination

Old
03-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its incredible how you keep clinging to Tampa as a model for anything.
when have i ever pointed to Tampa as a model for anything?

Quote:
Now you're arguing their core is in great shape? and proven. Proven? The current group has made the playoffs once. It has a 50pt center making 10mil in actual salary and 7+mil cap hit. They have a lot of work to do to imoriove that roster and getting rid of Vinny L and that contract along with getting talent for soon to be 38 year old St. Louis would be good steps in the right direction. Stamkos and Hedman are young enough for rebuilding that way to make sense.
That Lecavalier contract is horrendous... and immovable...

Tampa has the much more important franchise pieces in place (stamkos, hedman). And surrounding those pieces with the veterans they have is makes perfect sense to me. I agree that they have constructual issues... but their issues are much easier to address via trade, free agency, and player development.

Are issues are that we don't have a stamkos or a hedman... AND we lack the same structure issues.

Quote:
Leadership is not THE reason we aren't winning. Lack of talent is, particularly in key areas. No captain or leader can make a shutdown center materialize on a roster when one doesn't exist, Nor can they make a shutdown pairing appear either or secondary scoring.
I don't think leadership has as much to do with winning/losing as you seem to believe I do.

I do think leadership will have a huge impact on the development of our young young team.

I do think the current remaining core has been a complete failure... and while your comments about the poorly constructed team THIS year have merit (and i agree)... that was not the case during the last 5 years of this cores continued failure.

Quote:
This is rich coming from you.
yea

Old
03-30-2013, 04:08 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:

The theme is catching on.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Love that movie

I'm pretty sure we will be doing plenty of selling between now and the deadline.
If nothing else, I expect Hecht to get a Pahlsson-esque return: something around a 4th or 5th rounder from a higher end team looking for bottom line depth.

Not sure if Regehr waives his movement clause.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
If nothing else, I expect Hecht to get a Pahlsson-esque return: something around a 4th or 5th rounder from a higher end team looking for bottom line depth.

Why is that still in play? I thought a player loses it once they've waived it once. Or at least I thought that was the case with another player

Old
03-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Why is that still in play? I thought a player loses it once they've waived it once. Or at least I thought that was the case with another player
Paul Hamilton just said Regehr negotiated it to be reinstated if he came to Buffalo.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Scouts at #Sabres/#Capitals: BOS, CHI, COL, DAL, EDM, LA, MTL, NSH, OTT, PIT (x2), PHI, STL, WPG

Interesting that STL is still there. Obviously they could be scouting Washington just the same.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:06 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Scouts at #Sabres/#Capitals: BOS, CHI, COL, DAL, EDM, LA, MTL, NSH, OTT, PIT (x2), PHI, STL, WPG

Interesting that STL is still there. Obviously they could be scouting Washington just the same.
They were probably already here for the game before the trade. No sense calling them home now.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Update: Western Scouts in Attendance

3/16 in Buffalo: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, St. Louis.
3/17 in DC: Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, San Jose, St. Louis.
3/19 in Montreal: Chicago, St.Louis. (plus seven other NHL teams)
3/21 in Buffalo: Chicago, Dallas, Edmonton, Minnesota, Phoenix, San Jose, St. Louis, Vancouver.
3/23 in Montreal: Calgary, Phoenix.
3/26 in Tampa: Calgary, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit (x3).
3/28: Columbus, Detroit, Los Angeles (x2, incl. Hextall), Minnesota.
*NEW* 3/30: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Nashville, St. Louis. (full list)

3/09 note of our scouts in: Los Angeles (CGY).
3/11 note of our scouts in: Los Angeles (CGY).
3/14 note of our scouts frequently in: Colorado, Los Angeles, St. Louis.
3/18 note of our scouts in: Anaheim (SJS).
3/23 note of our scouts in: Los Angeles (VAN), Minnesota (SJS).
3/25 note of our scouts in: Anaheim (SJS).

Old
03-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:

One of the reasons I wanted to see them claim Daugavins was for when they trade Hecht. It made too much sense to me. The guy gives 100% every shift and is supposedly loved in the locker room. If Stafford also gets traded we will have to call up another forward to dress with Scott.

With McNabb injured I'd also like to see them take a look at defensive waivers (that aren't named Kaberle) that come through. Regier runs the risk of ****** an already depleted Amerks roster if Pardy replaced Regehr for the remainder of the season.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Regier is familiar trading with San Jose and Anaheim (although old guard). San Jose could be looking to add a cheap piece or two to make it look like they're trying (before they eventually blow it up next year). Anaheim could be looking to add that Pahlsson-esque they once traded away.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:23 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

i dont think he would deplete Rochester, if anything in some trades he may take back expiring contract so a team can be under the 50 contract limit or worse comes to worse sign two or three free agents plug em in and let the tank take it's course. Im not even sure what free agents are out there regarding d and f or possibly g.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:38 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Paul Hamilton just said Regehr negotiated it to be reinstated if he came to Buffalo.
There is the answer then. Thanks.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
McTank

Lets throw money at ryder

Old
03-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
One of the reasons I wanted to see them claim Daugavins was for when they trade Hecht. It made too much sense to me. The guy gives 100% every shift and is supposedly loved in the locker room. If Stafford also gets traded we will have to call up another forward to dress with Scott.

With McNabb injured I'd also like to see them take a look at defensive waivers (that aren't named Kaberle) that come through. Regier runs the risk of ****** an already depleted Amerks roster if Pardy replaced Regehr for the remainder of the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Regier is familiar trading with San Jose and Anaheim (although old guard). San Jose could be looking to add a cheap piece or two to make it look like they're trying (before they eventually blow it up next year). Anaheim could be looking to add that Pahlsson-esque they once traded away.
I wonder a bit if he would be the "third team" landing someone who one of the contenders has to move in order to clear cap space for a bigger fish. I'm sure there will be some cap-laden moves and taking someone on purely for their contract could be akin to what the Kings got for Roenick years ago -- a draft pick for taking the guy.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Spector's Hockey ‏@SpectorsHockey 6m

Friedman believes #Sabres the wild card heading into the deadline. Glenn Healy doubts Ryan Miller moved until this summer.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

Friedman believes #Sabres the wild card heading into the deadline. Glenn Healy doubts Ryan Miller moved until this summer.
Yeah, that's them quoting from tonight's HNiC 2nd intermission.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
With how close the trade deadline is to the playoffs this year, I'd be a bit surprised if Regehr wasn't willing to waive and have a shot at a Cup. It seems to me he's out the door here, what's the difference if it's a few weeks earlier? I suppose I could be wrong in that, perhaps there is mutual interest in bringing him back next year.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

And what does being the wild card mean? I want to see some crazy, off-the-wall trades.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And what does being the wild card mean? I want to see some crazy, off-the-wall trades.

I think he means....we could see the crazy off the wall trades.. (Pommers, Vanek or Miller) ...or just the basic FA sell offs.. ( Leo, Robyn, Hecht) ....

Can go either way.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
If they decide to put one of their big three guys into play, as he put it "they have so much talent", it could make things real interesting.

Closed Thread