HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Targets (Part II)

Old
03-27-2013, 02:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Jesus christo DW and his NTC's.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Arrch

vCash: 500
Doubt an NTC affects it much. He'll only waive for cup contenders, and those will be the only ones calling.

He says he wants to stay here, and that's fine. I'd take him back at the right price, but trading him at the deadline to a contender serves to benefit him and the team simultaneously.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:07 PM
flyershockey

Flyers fan here. Pay no mind to the Seravalli article. The guy has very few/if any sources from within the organization, and like most of the Philly sports media, he's clueless when it comes to hockey. Even rational fans on our board know that the Sharks have very little incentive to move Burns.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Crazy Joe Divola

That assumes DW will actually ask a player to waive a NTC. I wouldn't mind re-signing Clowe myself. I think this season is the exception not the rule.

Crazy Joe Divola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:11 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Divola View Post
That assumes DW will actually ask a player to waive a NTC. I wouldn't mind re-signing Clowe myself. I think this season is the exception not the rule.
I think he will in a rental situation. It wouldn't fall under his 'disrespectful' umbrella at that point. If he doesn't plan to re-sign him, and Clowe knows that, then it only makes sense for the team and for the player to find another option.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I think he will in a rental situation. It wouldn't fall under his 'disrespectful' umbrella at that point. If he doesn't plan to re-sign him, and Clowe knows that, then it only makes sense for the team and for the player to find another option.
I'm sure he'll ask Clowe what he would like to do if a team like Boston is willing to pay the price. Give him the option to analyze the situation and see if he thinks he has a better chance to win somewhere else.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Crazy Joe Divola

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
True, I just assumed he would be interested in trying to re-sign him. If, for whatever reason, he has no plans to even offer him a contract next year (which wouldn't make sense, IMO) then I could see him asking if he'd waive for a trade.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:18 PM
sweHockeypunk21

Anyone else interested in keeping Clowe, leaving Burns at forward (for this season), and picking up another reliable defensman at the price of one of our bottom 6 forwards and a pick (Handzus, Galiardi, Burish, Desjardins, Sheppard, Wingles). Then in the offseason we can pick up a replacement for Burns or a legit 3rd line center to take Pavs spot.

Havlat-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Clowe (resign him)
Wingles-Pavelski-Galiardi/Sheppard - depends who gets traded

Boyle-Irwin
Vlasic-Demers
Braun-Stuart
Reliable D - Can take spot of younger D/fill in for injuries in playoffs (Maybe Leopold)

sweHockeypunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
OrrNumber4

I am 90% sure that Clowe doesn't have an NTC.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Even if he can score again, he's still slow. I wouldn't mind re-signed if Sharks use this season to get him on the cheap. If Detroit or someone like that throws $5M per at him in the offseason, and the Sharks match that and then Clowe decides to stay, I think the Sharks would be insane.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:28 PM
SFSharkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweHockeypunk21 View Post
Anyone else interested in keeping Clowe, leaving Burns at forward (for this season), and picking up another reliable defensman at the price of one of our bottom 6 forwards and a pick (Handzus, Galiardi, Burish, Desjardins, Sheppard, Wingles). Then in the offseason we can pick up a replacement for Burns or a legit 3rd line center to take Pavs spot.

Havlat-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Clowe (resign him)
Wingles-Pavelski-Galiardi/Sheppard - depends who gets traded

Boyle-Irwin
Vlasic-Demers
Braun-Stuart
Reliable D - Can take spot of younger D/fill in for injuries in playoffs (Maybe Leopold)
so basically you want to give the same core ANOTHER chance... who knows could work. But IMO I don't think the results would be any different. Good, but maddeningly inconsistent.

SFSharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:30 PM
pappaf2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Even if he can score again, he's still slow. I wouldn't mind re-signed if Sharks use this season to get him on the cheap. If Detroit or someone like that throws $5M per at him in the offseason, and the Sharks match that and then Clowe decides to stay, I think the Sharks would be insane.
Agreed. I think something like 2-2.5 mil a year would be a good deal
For the sharks, otherwise he's just not going to fit.

pappaf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Crazy Joe Divola

Quote:
Well obviously he isn't valued for his speed, but the other things he brings to the table are not so easily replaced. Hence why so many teams are interested in trading for him even when he is struggling so badly.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Don't want him no matter what. Team needs to design it's system around transition and speed, Clowe doesn't fit into that anywhere, on any line. Plus, this season is not an 'aberation' it is a continuation of Clowe's massive low's and mediocre highs. A few seasons ago he went about 45 games playing absolutely worthless, I called for his head, lot's of people said he would snap out of it. He did, went on a tear for awhile, now he's right back to a ~40 game lull again. He'll keep doing this, we can't afford a guy making the kind of money he will taking 40 game breaks on a regular basis.

I like Clowe, he's a fun guy, but cya later, seriously.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:37 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
True, I just assumed he would be interested in trying to re-sign him. If, for whatever reason, he has no plans to even offer him a contract next year (which wouldn't make sense, IMO) then I could see him asking if he'd waive for a trade.
If DW knows that he won't commit the money that Clowe wants, he won't bother offering a contract. He will tell Clowe that he will be cut loose and let him decide if he wants to waive an NTC if he has one. DW will know Clowe's asking price.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Crazy Joe Divola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
If DW knows that he won't commit the money that Clowe wants, he won't bother offering a contract. He will tell Clowe that he will be cut loose and let him decide if he wants to waive an NTC if he has one. DW will know Clowe's asking price.
Also true but you'd have to think even Clowe recognizes that after his struggles this season he's going to have to take a shorter deal to show he's still got it or take a lower cap hit for more years added on without luxury of NTC.

We'll find out soon I suppose

Old
03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Vaasa

Capgeek has updated their info for Clowe to show a full NTC, but are citing the ESPN article. So no idea if they independently verified in any way.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
pappaf2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Capgeek has updated their info for Clowe to show a full NTC, but are citing the ESPN article. So no idea if they independently verified in any way.
Lebrun seems to be pretty on it when it comes to the sharks, it's very possible that he is right about it.

pappaf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

My question is what the hell did he do to deserve an NTC in the first place? DW does not really hand out NTCs on deals longer than 2 years unless he considers them franchise worthy players (Marleau, Thornton, Burns, Vlasic).

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:11 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaf2 View Post
Lebrun seems to be pretty on it when it comes to the sharks, it's very possible that he is right about it.
Of course it's legit, this is Doug Wilson, i bet he forces no trade clauses on these guys.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:19 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
I am 90% sure that Clowe doesn't have an NTC.
I don't see how the past 3 years of Clowe rumors have never surfaced this little tidbit until now.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:28 PM
magic school bus

Clowe signed that contract after the 2008-09 season and DW gave him a NTC? Wow, even for him that's impressive.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
sjshark91

So a week before the deadline this comes out?

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

I'm calling shenanigans, if LeBrun were accurate about the Sharks, we'd have a cup by now.

Last edited by Oppa: 03-27-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:58 PM
ramstoria

Seems strange that it would come out now, just before the deadline, that Clowe has a NTC. I'm not saying it's not true, it's just bizarre.

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote