HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/21/13 - Game 31 - Panthers @ Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 11:30 AM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Can't what, the **** are you saying??
haha, nevermind

Old
03-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
So you can't.
Quote:
haha, nevermind
Haha, go re-read the edited post. Stop being a ****** and elaborate.

03-22-2013, 11:34 AM
SeasonTicket

Quote:
Yeah, I was disappointed. Not sure what was up with him. Maybe he was nervous.
Howden was on the 4th line. What do you expect?

As for Skille I agree with you. His problem on those rushes up the wing is he can't skate with his head up when he has the puck. So he doesn't see the ice or what's developing. Head down watching the puck. Before he knows it he's at the goal line and then shoots.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:34 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Haha, go re-read the edited post. Stop being a ****** and elaborate.
I said we needed to replace Skille to help improve our PK, qualifying it with the fact that he wont fix it overnight and replacing him will be a step in the right direction. You brought up the goalies being bad (I agree) in defense of Skille as if you missed my point about knowing Skille is only one piece of the PK, hence " a step in the right direction."

Old
03-22-2013, 11:36 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
Howden was on the 4th line. What do you expect?

As for Skille I agree with you. His problem on those rushes up the wing is he can't skate with his head up when he has the puck. So he doesn't see the ice or what's developing. Head down watching the puck. Before he knows it he's at the goal line and then shoots.
All I wanted to see was some hustle, him using his speed, something. Honestly, if I wasn't looking for him, I wouldn't have noticed he was in the lineup. He was invisible. I'll write it off as nerves.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:39 AM
RainingRats

I think Guds is starting to play a lot better. I think he made a mistake with his gap control on the Gaborik goal but I'm not sure, tbh. It happened really quickly.

Guds looks a lot less jumpy in his own zone which means he's getting more comfortable and confident. He still has a tendency to move the puck too quickly and hard which results in icing but he'll get better at that too.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
I said we needed to replace Skille to help improve our PK, qualifying it with the fact that he wont fix it overnight and replacing him will be a step in the right direction. You brought up the goalies being bad (I agree) in defense of Skille as if you missed my point about knowing Skille is only one piece of the PK, hence " a step in the right direction."
Well, that's not what you said. You said Skille 'wouldn't fix it, but...' Don't start knocking reading comprehension when in reality you want me to be a mind reader.

You bring up Skille and the worst PK, as though he's the weakest link. The whole thing, and the team as well, is a mess. The goalies being weak are a huge factor as well. Santo is on the 4th line, we can put a PKer in his place. Upshall may be gone, replace him. I think Skille has been fine there, I've liked his play, but there are other ways to take him off the PK. He's a great energy guy.

Everything has been skewed by insane injuries and a shortened season.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
SeasonTicket

He only got 6:52 icetime. Mainly in the 1st and 2nd. KD went with Smithson between Huby and Mueller quite a bit later in the 3rd. Didn't really use the 4th line much at that point.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:45 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
He only got 6:52 icetime. Mainly in the 1st and 2nd. KD went with Smithson between Huby and Mueller quite a bit later in the 3rd. Didn't really use the 4th line much at that point.
I'm not assessing him as a player or anything. His limited ice time certainly didn't help him being noticed either. Just saying, I barely noticed him.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Well, that's not what you said. You said Skille 'wouldn't fix it, but...' Don't start knocking reading comprehension when in reality you want me to be a mind reader.

You bring up Skille and the worst PK, as though he's the weakest link. The whole thing, and the team as well, is a mess. The goalies being weak are a huge factor as well. Santo is on the 4th line, we can put a PKer in his place. Upshall may be gone, replace him. I think Skille has been fine there, I've liked his play, but there are other ways to take him off the PK. He's a great energy guy.

I didn't say he's the weakest link. We can improve his spot with a better PK'er. Skille isn't good on the PK, imo. He's there as a short handed threat because of his speed.

Skille has the tools to be a great energy guy. He doesn't use his tools/skill set properly, again, IMO.

I think if anything, the injuries have given Skille more of an opportunity to show what he's capable of.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
I didn't say he's the weakest link. We can improve his spot with a better PK'er. Skille isn't good on the PK, imo. He's there as a short handed threat because of his speed.

Skille has the tools to be a great energy guy. He doesn't use his tools/skill set properly, again, IMO.

I think if anything, the injuries have given Skille more of an opportunity to show what he's capable of.
Fair enough, but I still disagree. Not saying he's the strongest out there or isn't replaceable. Just think other spots can be filled and he can stay.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
He had a nice cycle early in the game w Santorelli, but then again, he playing with Santorelli.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
AaronEkbald

Skille >> Uphsall >> Santorelli

Santo seems like a good guy but I don't want him back. He's too easy to play against.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Erick*

My thoughts about this game.

1. I dislike when a team allows 45 shots and wins, leading others to say stuff like...well, we're playing better defensively! Look at all the shots from the outside! No, not really. The difference between this game and every other game this season was goaltending. Simple as that. The Rangers had plenty of quality scoring chances last night. The difference is they were stopped. Also, perhaps it didn't seem like a bigger deal because our goalie finally controlled his rebounds last night, for the most part. As opposed to Scott Clemmensen who can't stop a puck without giving up a rebound or even Markstrom who has had his struggles with rebounds before. Markstrom stole the game. Period. The Rangers almost doubled us up in terms of shots. We basically had one line play well last night, which brings me to my next point...

2. Shawn Matthias is our best player. Period. Someone asked if we should make him our 1st line center next year, and I say no. But he can certainly be a 2nd line center based on what I'm seeing. I wish we could clone him or something. Good thing is that Drew Shore looks like he'll develop into a 2-way player just like Matthias. Just to think I didn't even care about Matthias a couple of years ago. Some people said "he's big, he's a power forward, he'll take longer to develop." Kudos to those people. The guy is great.

3. Jack Skille is a keeper. Not sure what the problem is with him. He does hit. He single-handedly creates scoring chances. He and Matthias made Scottie Upshall look like an NHL player last night. Defensive liability? We have the worst goal differential in the NHL, yet Skille has a +/- of 0. That's second best on the team. Do I want him out there in the last minute of a game protecting a lead? Probably not. Doesn't matter. The guy brings a lot to the checking lines, and he's still pretty young, as well. We have plenty of other forwards on the roster who can PK.

4. I did not like Tomas Kopecky last year, but wow. I love the guy this year. He's been great. I don't really think it has anything to do with whether he's a center, etc. either. As Dineen said one night about him, Kopecky is a fine player when he stops the cutesy stuff. Hasn't been much cutesy stuff to his game this year. He's basically played like a beast all year.

5. Matthias, Skille, and Kopecky are visibly the only three guys who look like they consistently give a **** on a nightly basis.

6. Howden doesn't belong in the NHL yet. I look forward to Selleck coming back. I didn't watch the Carolina game, but apparently Selleck played well that game. I'd like to watch him play some more. He fits the 4th role way better than Howden who was pretty invisible in his limited play last night.

7. I like T.J. Brennan. Maybe he's not all that good defensively (made a couple of mistakes last night), but we desperately needed scoring from the blueline, and he's providing that. He's an offensive D-man. Someone compared him to Dennis Wideman the other day, and that's not bad. Wideman without the terrible contract is someone who can be valuable to a team. For a 5th round pick? Yes please. I like him more than Ellerby. For what it's worth, Brennan also seemed like he stepped in plenty of times when the Rangers crashed the net on Markstrom. Seems like Brennan and Marky are good friends.

8. I'm really glad we beat the Rangers because my brother is a Rangers fan, and I can't stand the Rags. **** Rick Nash, by the way. Enjoy the should be suspension, loser. Fun to see Columbus doing way better without you.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
My thoughts about this game.

1. I dislike when a team allows 45 shots and wins, leading others to say stuff like...well, we're playing better defensively! Look at all the shots from the outside! No, not really. The difference between this game and every other game this season was goaltending. Simple as that. The Rangers had plenty of quality scoring chances last night. The difference is they were stopped. Also, perhaps it didn't seem like a bigger deal because our goalie finally controlled his rebounds last night, for the most part. As opposed to Scott Clemmensen who can't stop a puck without giving up a rebound or even Markstrom who has had his struggles with rebounds before. Markstrom stole the game. Period. The Rangers almost doubled us up in terms of shots. We basically had one line play well last night, which brings me to my next point...

2. Shawn Matthias is our best player. Period. Someone asked if we should make him our 1st line center next year, and I say no. But he can certainly be a 2nd line center based on what I'm seeing. I wish we could clone him or something. Good thing is that Drew Shore looks like he'll develop into a 2-way player just like Matthias. Just to think I didn't even care about Matthias a couple of years ago. Some people said "he's big, he's a power forward, he'll take longer to develop." Kudos to those people. The guy is great.

3. Jack Skille is a keeper. Not sure what the problem is with him. He does hit. He single-handedly creates scoring chances. He and Matthias made Scottie Upshall look like an NHL player last night. Defensive liability? We have the worst goal differential in the NHL, yet Skille has a +/- of 0. That's second best on the team. Do I want him out there in the last minute of a game protecting a lead? Probably not. Doesn't matter. The guy brings a lot to the checking lines, and he's still pretty young, as well. We have plenty of other forwards on the roster who can PK.

4. I did not like Tomas Kopecky last year, but wow. I love the guy this year. He's been great. I don't really think it has anything to do with whether he's a center, etc. either. As Dineen said one night about him, Kopecky is a fine player when he stops the cutesy stuff. Hasn't been much cutesy stuff to his game this year. He's basically played like a beast all year.

5. Matthias, Skille, and Kopecky are visibly the only three guys who look like they consistently give a **** on a nightly basis.

6. Howden doesn't belong in the NHL yet. I look forward to Selleck coming back. I didn't watch the Carolina game, but apparently Selleck played well that game. I'd like to watch him play some more. He fits the 4th role way better than Howden who was pretty invisible in his limited play last night.

7. I like T.J. Brennan. Maybe he's not all that good defensively (made a couple of mistakes last night), but we desperately needed scoring from the blueline, and he's providing that. He's an offensive D-man. Someone compared him to Dennis Wideman the other day, and that's not bad. Wideman without the terrible contract is someone who can be valuable to a team. For a 5th round pick? Yes please. I like him more than Ellerby. For what it's worth, Brennan also seemed like he stepped in plenty of times when the Rangers crashed the net on Markstrom. Seems like Brennan and Marky are good friends.

8. I'm really glad we beat the Rangers because my brother is a Rangers fan, and I can't stand the Rags. **** Rick Nash, by the way. Enjoy the should be suspension, loser. Fun to see Columbus doing way better without you.
I disagree about point #1. We were much better defensively than we have been. Just like in Carolina. It's no surprise that when the team plays solid defensively the goalies play well. Usually our goalies have no chance on one or two goals against a game.

We lack enough skilled offensive guys so we're going to have a puck possession issue which is why the shot total is tilted. Markstrom played really well and made some good saves but there weren't that many quality scoring chances. Everyone hustled and backchecked, they played smart. Plus, ask any Ranger fan and the Rangers have trouble generating offense when not given the opportunity to do so. The defenseman made sure Markstrom could see the puck and there were no second chances able to be had because Markstrom kept the rebounds to a minimum and the skaters marked their men. They also did a great job of getting the puck out of their zone and made smart decisions the entire night.

Total team effort, imo.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:35 PM
AaronEkbald

Quote:
I think Guds is starting to play a lot better. I think he made a mistake with his gap control on the Gaborik goal but I'm not sure, tbh. It happened really quickly.

Guds looks a lot less jumpy in his own zone which means he's getting more comfortable and confident. He still has a tendency to move the puck too quickly and hard which results in icing but he'll get better at that too.
In the last two games, Guds has playing really well minus the gap control problems (i.e. the Gaborik goal and the J Staal goal).

Old
03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Erick*

Quote:
I disagree about point #1. We were much better defensively than we have been. Just like in Carolina. It's no surprise that when the team plays solid defensively the goalies play well. Usually our goalies have no chance on one or two goals against a game.

We lack enough skilled offensive guys so we're going to have a puck possession issue which is why the shot total is tilted. Markstrom played really well and made some good saves but there weren't that many quality scoring chances. Everyone hustled and backchecked, they played smart. Plus, ask any Ranger fan and the Rangers have trouble generating offense when not given the opportunity to do so. The defenseman made sure Markstrom could see the puck and there were no second chances able to be had because Markstrom kept the rebounds to a minimum and the skaters marked their men. They also did a great job of getting the puck out of their zone and made smart decisions the entire night.

Total team effort, imo.

It wasn't our worst defensive game, but I wouldn't call it a good one. We don't win that game last night without goaltending.

Chances were there for the Rangers. There were shots from the outside, yes, but there were also chances. Had Markstrom not stopped them, we would've been saying, "this team is terrible defensively," today.

They had odd-man rushes on multiple occasions. There were a couple of shots from the point in which I thought our own players screened Markstrom (as our players usually do to our goalies), but Markstrom stopped those too.

There were also instances with players coming off the bench being left wide open. Like when Del Zotto came on and missed a shot wide as though he was related to Kulikov.

The team has had many games in which they've played no worse defensively, yet the team has allowed a handful of goals in those games due to mediocre goaltending.

There have also been some games in which poor goaltending has set the tone for a game.

It works both ways. Defense can make a goalie look better, but a goalie can also certainly make a defense look better, as well.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:26 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:

Total team effort, imo.
Lol RR if u can't see the diff between Marky last few games in net and either of the other goalies all season long I don't know what to tell you. the defense didn't become amazing overnight. The guy between the pipes did.

No way clemmer doesn't give up 3 or 4 last night. He averages 41/2 goals per game for a reason.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:33 PM
PBPantherfan
#draft is coming

And people wonder why the NHL is a joke

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie15m
NYR and FLA have been told by NHL there will be no supplementary discipline for Rick Nash's hit on Tomas Kopecky.

Last edited by PBPantherfan: 03-22-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
And people wopnder why the NHL is a joke

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie15m
NYR and FLA have been told by NHL there will be no supplementary discipline for Rick Nash's hit on Tomas Kopecky.
Unbelievable.

That is an outrage.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Panthersfan1989
#CatsAreComing

I knew the NHL was ******** but now it is confirmed that they favorite teams.. The is sickening. So much for the integrity of the game. Now I know why we never get anything called in our favor.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Inquisition13

Jesus that's bad. Wow.

I mean...seriously?

**** the NHL.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:12 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:

RainingRats is one of the biggest know it alls on the Panther board. And he tries to take small jabs at people because he probably can't get away with it face to face with someone in person.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:28 PM
PBPantherfan
#draft is coming

When an "average" guy gets a suspension for a similar or weaker hit why the hell wouldn't they get a lawyer and sue to void the suspension? Couldn't they just claim hey Nash didn't get suspended I thought that was legal they didn't even hold a hearing. The "Player Safety" Group is a total joke. As a side note as far as I am concerened its open season on Nash next game I hope somebody pops him.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Beezeral

what a complete joke. guy leaves his feet and puts an elbow right into his head and doesnt even get a hearing...

Closed Thread