HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL | 2013 Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Larionov

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Iggy to the Pens smells like what Heatley did to the Sens when BM had a deal with Edmonton
That's exactly what seems to have happened. Feaster negotiates a deal with the Bruins in good faith, goes to Iggy, who then comes back to him and says, "Changed my mind - I'm only going to Pittsburgh." When a player has a no trade clause, he has you by the, err, shorts, as we learned with Heatley. This forced Feaster to go schlepping back to the Penguins to make a deal.

If anything, Iginla just screwed his old team even worse than Heatley screwed us. Heatley never said he would accept a trade to Edmonton - we just hoped and assumed he would. Iginla explicitly said he would accept a trade to Boston, then reneged.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
That's exactly what seems to have happened. Feaster negotiates a deal with the Bruins in good faith, goes to Iggy, who then comes back to him and says, "Changed my mind - I'm only going to Pittsburgh." When a player has a no trade clause, he has you by the, err, shorts, as we learned with Heatley. This forced Feaster to go schlepping back to the Penguins to make a deal.

If anything, Iginla just screwed his old team even worse than Heatley screwed us. Heatley never said he would accept a trade to Edmonton - we just hoped and assumed he would. Iginla explicitly said he would accept a trade to Boston, then reneged.
At least the team Heatley turned down was actually pretty terrible. Iggy chose one cup-contending team over another cup-contending team.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:47 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
It was a no win for Feaster whether he made the deal with Boston or Pittsburgh, everybody still would have said he lost the deal badly & should have gotten more for Iginla.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
It was a no win for Feaster whether he made the deal with Boston or Pittsburgh, everybody still would have said he lost the deal badly & should have gotten more for Iginla.
Sucks when a player can handcuff a team like that. *cough* Heatley *cough*

At least we got 9MM.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Niv
Registered Hater

Quote:

That's the problem with no movement clauses, GMs toss them out like candy when trying to sign a valuable player only to get screwed over later. But it's part of the contract and I don't blame Iggy for choosing where he wants to go, his NMC gives him every right to do so. He obviously felt he had a better chance of winning the cup and a better opportunity for personal success in Pittsburgh than he would in Boston.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Sucks when a player can handcuff a team like that. *cough* Heatley *cough*

At least we got 9MM.
The Heatley thing was a little different he wanted out, but even then he had the "clause". I don't see it changing either since every good player going into their UFA yrs will be asking for a no trade or no movement clause giving them the leverage to go where they want. Why should the player care what his team needs or whether they do well in a trade? That team doesn't want you any more so why should the player care about them. They will get the best deal possible for themselves & go to a team where they have the best chance to re-sign to continue their career.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
The Heatley thing was a little different he wanted out, but even then he had the "clause". I don't see it changing either since every good player going into their UFA yrs will be asking for a no trade or no movement clause giving them the leverage to go where they want. Why should the player care what his team needs or whether they do well in a trade? That team doesn't want you any more so why should the player care about them. They will get the best deal possible for themselves & go to a team where they have the best chance to re-sign to continue their career.
Depends on the situation. If the player demands a trade then the honourable thing to do is help the team get the most for you WHILE sending you somewhere you want to go.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:23 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Depends on the situation. If the player demands a trade then the honourable thing to do is help the team get the most for you WHILE sending you somewhere you want to go.
Why? The honourable thing from the players point of view is if the team he is on re-sign him for more money. It might be what fans think because they want their team to do well in the trade but from a players point of view why should he care since the team no longer thinks he can help them & want him gone. Players will put the best face on these things but I would imagine there are also some bitter feelings having to go through a trade with so much media speculation & scrutiny.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:39 PM
starling

Where did that list of 4 teams come from? IMO it was just a rumor started by Calgary front office. Iginla wanted to play with Crosby and there was just one team on that list all the way. Feaster was using that 4-team rumour to squeeze as much as possible from Shero.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:32 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

I know I'm in the minority, but I honestly think a late first round pick and a couple of mid prospects is about right for Iggy. Iggy was gone at the end of the season, which is only one month away for the Flames. The Pens would lock up first in the conference without Iggy, so really they paid the price to get better for the playoffs. But the Pens already have 2 very good right wingers, so Iggy become more of a depth guy. Boston needed him far more than the Pens ever would.

Would any of you honestly pay a first round pick to make your third line better for one playoff run? That is the definition of an all-in move. It will only work out for the Pens if they either make a long run and win it all or if they are able to sign Iggy to an extension.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:18 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

My interpretation is that Feaster had a deal in place with Chiarelli, but needed to run it by Iginla. He calls Iginla and says he has an offer from Boston, but it's not yet a done deal. A few hours later, the rumours start up, Shero hears about Boston's offer and sends his own offer to Feaster. Feaster calls up Iginla and tells him there are now two offers, and Iginla can choose which team he'd prefer to go to. Meanwhile, Chiarelli assumes it's a done deal and Calgary isn't entertaining any more offers, and that they're just prepping the paperwork. Feaster doesn't tell Chiarelli about Pittsburgh's offer until after Iginla has chosen Pittsburgh. Iginla choose Pittsburgh under the assumption that Boston knows about Pittsburgh's offer and that Chiarelli knows the deal worked out earlier was just an offer, not something Feaster had finalized.

03-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Gesus
Let's win it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I honestly think a late first round pick and a couple of mid prospects is about right for Iggy. Iggy was gone at the end of the season, which is only one month away for the Flames. The Pens would lock up first in the conference without Iggy, so really they paid the price to get better for the playoffs. But the Pens already have 2 very good right wingers, so Iggy become more of a depth guy. Boston needed him far more than the Pens ever would.

Would any of you honestly pay a first round pick to make your third line better for one playoff run? That is the definition of an all-in move. It will only work out for the Pens if they either make a long run and win it all or if they are able to sign Iggy to an extension.
Lol Iggy wont be a 3rd liner.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:

Agreed. What bothers me most about this is that Iginla basically went back on his word. If you submit a list of four teams, then you will go to any one of those four - not pick and choose from your own list.

To be perfectly honest, I hated when Bourque did this years ago, and I hate it now. As far as I'm concerned, it's an honourless move. If you want to use your last season or two in the league to try for a cup, then pick a team either in the off season or early in the year. Waiting until nearly the deadline to hedge your bets and then piggyback onto the best team in the league may be within the rules, but it shows a serious lack of integrity. It stinks.

The only good thing about this is the Pens got themselves a boatload of bad karma from this, and I really think it will bite them in the ass. They are still terrible defensively and in net. A first round exit is still a good possibility.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:10 PM
starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Agreed. What bothers me most about this is that Iginla basically went back on his word. If you submit a list of four teams, then you will go to any one of those four - not pick and choose from your own list.
If he said from the beginning that he only wants to go to Crosby he would probably bring back just a second rounder lol.
Anyway, who said there was a list of 4 teams in the first place and that list was not a product of Feaster's imagination in attempt to spark up some bidding.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Jasper

Phoenix is beating Nashville 6-3 and the first period isn't over yet.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:47 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Holy hell what a game (PHX-NASH)

Old
03-28-2013, 08:16 PM
HockeySens

wat the is this the 80's? 7-3 2nd period in phx-nsh

Old
03-28-2013, 08:20 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Oh my goodness, Kadri on J Staal's goal was just horrendous. Nomination for worst defensive shift of the year.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:24 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Oh my goodness, Kadri on J Staal's goal was just horrendous. Nomination for worst defensive shift of the year.
Something to look forward to watch tonight

Old
03-28-2013, 08:25 PM
HockeySens

not gonna lie tht leafs pp was impressive

lupul just scored, awful canes D

Old
03-28-2013, 08:29 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Lol @ Corvo. That was a sick goal though. Lupul is unreal

Old
03-28-2013, 08:38 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Aww ****, Toronto won 6-3...

Old
03-28-2013, 09:06 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Pens win 4-0 over Jets... Do they really need Iginla ?

Old
03-28-2013, 09:30 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still, defense lacking play by Kadri.

Lol, Kulemin almost bobbled the puck near the end for the empty netter.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:06 AM
Kezia
egg

Closed Thread