HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL | 2013 Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Agreed. What bothers me most about this is that Iginla basically went back on his word. If you submit a list of four teams, then you will go to any one of those four - not pick and choose from your own list.

To be perfectly honest, I hated when Bourque did this years ago, and I hate it now. As far as I'm concerned, it's an honourless move. If you want to use your last season or two in the league to try for a cup, then pick a team either in the off season or early in the year. Waiting until nearly the deadline to hedge your bets and then piggyback onto the best team in the league may be within the rules, but it shows a serious lack of integrity. It stinks.

The only good thing about this is the Pens got themselves a boatload of bad karma from this, and I really think it will bite them in the ass. They are still terrible defensively and in net. A first round exit is still a good possibility.
The "terrible defensively" team is 7th in the league in goals against per game. Could you imagine if they were "okay" defensively?

Old
03-29-2013, 12:53 PM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
The funny part is whats going on in front of the net.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:09 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens2k9 View Post
The funny part is whats going on in front of the net.
That's the new NHL.

No wonder Potvin has to get drunk to watch the games.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:20 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic View Post
The "terrible defensively" team is 7th in the league in goals against per game. Could you imagine if they were "okay" defensively?
The best defense is puck possession. It's hard for opponents to score when you have the puck in the offensive zone all the time.

The Pens issues defensively has more to do with the amount of cherry picking their top offensive players like Crosby and Malkin do instead of backchecking hard into the defensive zone when their opponents are on the rush. Sure it leads to great counterattacks if they manage to force a turnover, but they also give up a lot of good scoring chances because they are late getting back into the defensive zone.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
The best defense is puck possession. It's hard for opponents to score when you have the puck in the offensive zone all the time.

The Pens issues defensively has more to do with the amount of cherry picking their top offensive players like Crosby and Malkin do instead of backchecking hard into the defensive zone when their opponents are on the rush. Sure it leads to great counterattacks if they manage to force a turnover, but they also give up a lot of good scoring chances because they are late getting back into the defensive zone.
Lol, you don't watch the Pens play, do you? I'm very surprised that you associate Crosby with cherry picking. It's the exact opposite with him.

Crosby back-checks like crazy and he's ALWAYS down-low helping the defenseman. Ask any Pens fans. He's one of their better defensive forwards too. As for Malkin, he does have the tendency to do full loops and not have the best defensive coverage, but he isn't a liability.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:49 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Lol, you don't watch the Pens play, do you? I'm very surprised that you associate Crosby with cherry picking. It's the exact opposite with him.

Crosby back-checks like crazy and he's ALWAYS down-low helping the defenseman. Ask any Pens fans. He's one of their better defensive forwards too. As for Malkin, he does have the tendency to do full loops and not have the best defensive coverage, but he isn't a liability.
They are fine once they get back into the defensive zone. They just have a tendency to have overconfidence in their defense to force a turnover, so they loggygang hoping for a breakaway pass at the redline a little too much.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
They are fine once they get back into the defensive zone. They just have a tendency to have overconfidence in their defense to force a turnover, so they loggygang hoping for a breakaway pass at the redline a little too much.
Malkin? Perhaps. Sid? Nope, or not any more than other stars.

He's gotten points this year for simply breaking up a sure goal in the defensive zone due to back-check and being the first guy in the offensive zone, drawing two defenders so Dupuis can get a goal.

Anyways, I think their fate lies in the hand of Fleury. If he can play average, they will be okay. If he plays like last year, no offense can bail that out.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:02 PM
OgieO

Just a point of information for the Pens talk:

They are 7th in GA per game. 2.4

The Pens defensive ineptitude seems to be overstated (that stat sure surprised me).

Ottawa trolling the league with a tidy 2.00 GA per game (#1 by a good margin)

Old
03-29-2013, 03:18 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

The Pens aren't paying a whole lot of attention to detail these days. Like has been stated they vent the zone very early which often works well for them but it can cost them like say last year's playoffs. It's a very high risk/reward game that they don't have to play.

I wonder about that team and their mentality going forward. Everybody and their goldfish have already handed them the cup. If the going gets tough I question whether they'll be open at all to Any adjustments Bylsma may suggest. DB seems to just be there as a token figure head at this point.

I'll have a lot more confidence in them if Fleury isn't their starter. Their biggest Achilles is their confidence in him. He could easily lose a playoff series on his own.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

DeKeyser is going to Detroit according to BMac.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:38 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
Worst kept secret in hockey.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Rhino Reilly
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Turns out he's going to Pittsburgh

Old
03-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

Quote:
Least surprising news I've heard all year.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
How he passed up on the dynasty in the making down in Edmonton is beyond me. In other news I enjoy that Mr. Schultz at 22 years old is rated above Zibanejad by HF's prospect rankings because his potential is sky high.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:50 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

We can all take solice in that Wiecioch is an equal prospect to Schultz. I think they'll put up pretty similar numbers over the coming years. He definitely belongs on that list and he's proven it in the NHL.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Yokai

Does anyone remember where Karlsson was on these lists? Would be fairly amusing to see if he was grossly underrated or not.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
We can all take solice in that Wiecioch is an equal prospect to Schultz. I think they'll put up pretty similar numbers over the coming years. He definitely belongs on that list and he's proven it in the NHL.
And it makes it that much sweeter when expectations for him were lower than Schultz.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:56 PM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
If we had Schultz, it's very likely that Weircioch wouldn't have had this break and would not be where he is now. There's also no knowing whether Schultz would be performing here the way he is in Edm with all that talent they have.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Yokai

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
If we had Schultz, it's very likely that Weircioch wouldn't have had this break and would not be where he is now. There's also no knowing whether Schultz would be performing here the way he is in Edm with all that talent they have.
I will admit to not watching the Oilers a ton this season, but 15 points and a -11 rating through thirty-three games is not very impressive. Wiercioch has the same amount of points in three less games and is a plus player. The only impressive thing Schultz has done this season was put up so many points in the AHL. That being said he did that with what? three legitimate NHL top six forwards playing with him?

Old
03-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
I don't know how that is relevant...Wiercioch has been as good or better at the same age at every level. I think that's what is important.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:00 PM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
I will admit to not watching the Oilers a ton this season, but 15 points and a -11 rating through thirty-three games is not very impressive. Wiercioch has the same amount of points in three less games and is a plus player.
But Schultz is their go to guy in all situations and gets top minutes so it's not surprising that his +/- is going to suffer since they play such a run and gun game with subpar goaltending. I think he's hit above expectations.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Quote:
I will admit to not watching the Oilers a ton this season, but 15 points and a -11 rating through thirty-three games is not very impressive. Wiercioch has the same amount of points in three less games and is a plus player. The only impressive thing Schultz has done this season was put up so many points in the AHL. That being said he did that with what? three legitimate NHL top six forwards playing with him?
To be fair, Schultz does play against top lines, but then again, he does also get a lot of PP time, I think.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Rhino Reilly
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
To be fair, Schultz does play against top lines, but then again, he does also get a lot of PP time, I think.
Yea he does.

Last time I checked he led all Oilers in avg/TOI. Pretty impressive for a rookie.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Yokai

Quote:
But Schultz is their go to guy in all situations and gets top minutes so it's not surprising that his +/- is going to suffer since they play such a run and gun game with subpar goaltending. I think he's hit above expectations.
You would also assume his point totals would be higher in that case tough. He should ultimately be on the ice for the majority of their goals and thus his assist count should be higher (see Karlsson). I honestly try hard to like Edmonton. All of their young players seem like awesome people, but it seems like their teams overall talent/promise is overrated/over hyped. Leading his team in ice time is reflective of the fact that they are trying to develop more him than his current ability, in my opinion, and speaks to the lack of better options on their current blue line. The Oilers honestly just need a management team that is prepared to do what is necessary to insulate their younger players (See Wiercioch).

Last edited by Yokai: 03-29-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Does anyone remember where Karlsson was on these lists? Would be fairly amusing to see if he was grossly underrated or not.
Jumped from 29 to 14 after his rookie season. Karlsson was an all-star several months after that list.

Closed Thread