HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cruise Control Burns the Hawks

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
Was that Johnny Oduya on the ice last night or Chris Campoli? Frankly, I could not tell the difference.
It was Playoff Oduya, Johnny Oduya's evil twin.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
It was Playoff Oduya, Johnny Oduya's evil twin.
And not just the playoffs. The JO that shows up regularly when the play gets intense. Just when you think he is over it and takes a hit or two to make a play, he goes back there.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Hawkaholic

What did Oduya do wrong? 1 bad pass that resulted in nothing...

Old
03-21-2013, 06:55 PM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
No way. Just picks and prospects and keep adding to the offer until we get a yes. It's a pretty simple formula. If the other team wants a roster player, bring another team into the deal. We've been waiting 15 years for this move, seriously. This team hasn't had a 2C as far back as I can remember. Brent Sutter is the only guy that comes to mind. ENOUGH!
What you didn't like Jeff shantz?

Old
03-21-2013, 07:29 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
What did Oduya do wrong? 1 bad pass that resulted in nothing...
Just watched the 3rd period and saw a different one than what was described here. JO did not have a bad period as I expected. In fact the team played okay until Crawford let out that ridiculous rebound on a relatively routine play. He was way out of position on Teemu's winner as well... just hope that is the exception and not the rule in the 2nd half. Funny how no one even mentioned that (that I read). I'm sure it was Emery in there, certain folks would have been all over him.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:35 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Just watched the 3rd period and saw a different one than what was described here. JO did not have a bad period as I expected. In fact the team played okay until Crawford let out that ridiculous rebound on a relatively routine play. He was way out of position on Teemu's winner as well... just hope that is the exception and not the rule in the 2nd half. Funny how no one even mentioned that (that I read). I'm sure it was Emery in there, certain folks would have been all over him.
oduya gave getzlaf all the time and space in the world and bobby Ryan skated right up the middle of the ice with nobody on him. it's hard to Blame crawford considering he made a ton of good stops. and blaming him for the winning goal is insane. oduya stood in no mans land and took away nothing. as a result crawford was forced to play the shot and then try to get over for the pass. if only hjalmarsson had been there instead of oduya.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:40 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
oduya gave getzlaf all the time and space in the world and bobby Ryan skated right up the middle of the ice with nobody on him. it's hard to Blame crawford considering he made a ton of good stops. and blaming him for the winning goal is insane. oduya stood in no mans land and took away nothing. as a result crawford was forced to play the shot and then try to get over for the pass. if only hjalmarsson had been there instead of oduya.
Like hell he did. That rebound can't happen at that stage in a game.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:43 PM
madgoat33

why did that shot even get on net? why is bobby ryan completely open in the slot?

Old
03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

It was a routine shot that needed to be smothered. There's nothing insane about that. CC folded in the crunch is the way I saw it.

Granted the winner came from a bad play by Saad, and CC needed to come up with a big save there for sure, but his poor positioning and lack of ability to recover made it an easy goal. Too dam easy.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
madgoat33

yea damn crawford for not smothering a puck that was towards his feet. and damn him for not making a great save in a 2-1 that could not have been played any worse by oduya if he was trying to suck.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:16 PM
madgoat33

following up, hawks made boneheaded plays and had bad defensive breakdowns all game, and crawford bailed them out more than a couple times. finally caught up to them in the last 5 or so minutes of the game. I'm getting real sick of seeing some of our dmen back off the puck carrier and let them make plays/shoot. I'd much rather see the occasional error from aggression then constantly allowing guys to make easy plays. if you're going to allow guys to shoot at your goalie, you better be occupying everyone around the net.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:05 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Anybody who watched the game last night knows Crawford was outstanding. He had no chance on the Selanne or Holland goals. The rebound he gave up was pretty much the only "mistake" he made and I wouldn't even call it a mistake. Goalies can't control every shot that comes there way. It was fortunate that the puck landed where it did and Ryan was able to get a stick on it, from Anaheim's POV.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:09 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Anybody who watched the game last night knows Crawford was outstanding. He had no chance on the Selanne or Holland goals. The rebound he gave up was pretty much the only "mistake" he made and I wouldn't even call it a mistake. Goalies can't control every shot that comes there way. It was fortunate that the puck landed where it did and Ryan was able to get a stick on it, from Anaheim's POV.
Crawford was good. Hawks made a couple of big mistakes late. Ducks have been very fortunate team all year and were very fortunate again. Cashed in on a couple of mistakes.....oh well. The over-reactions over one loss....c'mon now. The Q shell in the last 10 minutes of 1 goal game is bound to result in these kind of losses in the regular season occasionally.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Oduya did what you are supposed to do, cut the angle off. It was a shot that was from the corner, Crawford shouldn't be giving up rebounds to the middle of the ice on shots like that. But every team knows he does, so they do it.

Crawford made a few good stops, but was way out of position on the GWG too. It was a 2 on 1 on Oduya, when you are the last player back with 2 opponents coming at you, you are the last person to blame. And Oduya actually got a piece of Getzlafs pass, in a good effort to break it up after a terrible turnover at our own blueline. Oduya had very little time to do much of anything on that play.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:54 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
He certainly did in the last two minutes and I'd contend that both goals were mostly his fault. He let Ryan walk the puck up on him, and a failed clear earlier in the defensive zone ended up leading to the Saad turnover. Oduya was a trainwreck all night.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:01 AM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Oduya did what you are supposed to do, cut the angle off. It was a shot that was from the corner, Crawford shouldn't be giving up rebounds to the middle of the ice on shots like that. But every team knows he does, so they do it.

Crawford made a few good stops, but was way out of position on the GWG too. It was a 2 on 1 on Oduya, when you are the last player back with 2 opponents coming at you, you are the last person to blame. And Oduya actually got a piece of Getzlafs pass, in a good effort to break it up after a terrible turnover at our own blueline. Oduya had very little time to do much of anything on that play.
Cutting the angle off is only part of it.

If you look at the defensmen who had great games: Hammer, Keith, and Leddy they not only cut off angles but they also put pressure on the puck and were hard on the pokecheck. When you have great positioning, which Oduya did, you don't continue to concede ground you look to pokecheck it away, especially when you have the boards as an "extra defender". Instead Oduya let his opponent gain ground, dictate play, and get the shot off which lead to the rebound.

This is the same crap that gets Keith in trouble. When Keith is hard on the puck, as he was last night, he can be a very good defender. But when Keith (and Seabrook) just drift back and let opponents bum rush our zone they give up goals in bunches. If you are aggressive (within reason) good things happen.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:03 AM
zac

Quote:
I'd like to see every goalies' rebounds yielded percentage on shots < 12 feet. I'm guessing it's high for everyone.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:03 AM
zac

And yeah, Crawford was very good.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:18 AM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
And we were without Sharp and Hossa. But please, everyone jump off the ledge.
I don't think anybody's jumping off the ledge.

This loss sucked, but the reality is save for the slow start most of the team play well to great. Toews, Crawford, Keith, Hammer, and Leddy were phenomenal, Shaw was very good, and Saad really came on as the game progressed. Kane played better as the game went on as well although he did miss some chances. I will say that I'd rather not see Kane double shifted if it means (literally) he's going to stand and observe in the defensive zone. We're pretty lucky that wasn't fully exploited.

The game really came down to a few mistakes and equally pathetic (as the the others were great) performances by our other 3 defensmen. Oduya was downright brutal, Brookbank shouldn't have seen the ice, and Seabs had another putrid performance. Sprinkle in more of Bolland's ineffectiveness and it was enough to do us in.

We should have had at least a point, but I think there were generally more positives than negatives in this one. Q just needs to make better use of the roster and Oduya and Seabrook need to wake tf up. If they do, we stay healthy, and Keith can play like he did last night we'll be more than alright.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I don't like the recent Hawks of letting teams dominate the 3rd period. Even during the win streak would be up 4-1 and it's suddenly 4-3 and the Hawks are gripping to keep the game in their advantage. This trend has to stop because as we saw against good teams it will cost you. This isn't the first time they played 50% or so in the 3rd it needs to be the last.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:56 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I don't think anybody's jumping off the ledge.

This loss sucked, but the reality is save for the slow start most of the team play well to great. Toews, Crawford, Keith, Hammer, and Leddy were phenomenal, Shaw was very good, and Saad really came on as the game progressed. Kane played better as the game went on as well although he did miss some chances. I will say that I'd rather not see Kane double shifted if it means (literally) he's going to stand and observe in the defensive zone. We're pretty lucky that wasn't fully exploited.

The game really came down to a few mistakes and equally pathetic (as the the others were great) performances by our other 3 defensmen. Oduya was downright brutal, Brookbank shouldn't have seen the ice, and Seabs had another putrid performance. Sprinkle in more of Bolland's ineffectiveness and it was enough to do us in.

We should have had at least a point, but I think there were generally more positives than negatives in this one. Q just needs to make better use of the roster and Oduya and Seabrook need to wake tf up. If they do, we stay healthy, and Keith can play like he did last night we'll be more than alright.
zac on a roll! I can't disagree with anything you said in this post of the previous posts - except I don't blame Seabrook for the first goal against. Kane made a bad decision to reverse the puck from clearing the d-zone by his pass back to the d-man before the Duck players had cleared the zone and while the Hawk players were headed out of the zone. Then the pass was bad because it handcuffed Seabrook who had to reach for the puck and had it deflect into his skates. That was the sequence that led to the first goal. That was Kane's fault. He does that reverse clearing pass back into the zone too much for my liking and that time it cost the Hawks.

On the Ducks second goal - Oduya played it too passively and as zac has correctly described it - he didn't have to. He should have aggressively attacked the puck and make it much harder for Getzlaf to throw it on net. Watch the video from the overhead camera at center ice and you'll see Kane misplayed it too. Kane speeds back into the zone and follows Ryan but then he watches Getzlaf and loses track of Ryan and leaves Ryan unchecked right in front of the net.

Kane manned up after the game and shouldered responsibility and good on him for doing that because if he had played better it's very likely the Ducks would not have scored their first and second goals. Kane has been magical this year and I'd say he's played great for about 28 of the 30 games - but last night was not a good game for him.

On the GWG - every Hawk player on the ice played it poorly.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:52 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

wow... one loss and half the boards starts to freak out.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:34 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
ffs… he wasn't “outstanding” as you say, he was okay until the pressure of the last 10 minutes. The ops barely hit 20 shots against, with few legit scoring opportunities … maybe 5 or 6 in the entire game. Hawks weren’t great in the first period but still didn’t yield much in the way of scoring chances. The expectations of our starting goalie sure is low around here - if we can’t expect to get some big saves when they are needed in tight games, especially in the last 10 minutes of a game, then we aren’t going anywhere this season. It wouldn’t even have been a big save; the rebound simply could not be directed to the slot as it was. Our goaltending has been good on paper, but it is our stingy (team) defensive play that has been outstanding. In essence, in many games, both of our goalies have been sheltered. That is unlikely to happen in the playoffs, no matter which team we draw. Just sayin ‘

Last edited by BobbyJet: 03-22-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old
03-22-2013, 08:52 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
zac on a roll! I can't disagree with anything you said in this post of the previous posts - except I don't blame Seabrook for the first goal against. Kane made a bad decision to reverse the puck from clearing the d-zone by his pass back to the d-man before the Duck players had cleared the zone and while the Hawk players were headed out of the zone. Then the pass was bad because it handcuffed Seabrook who had to reach for the puck and had it deflect into his skates. That was the sequence that led to the first goal. That was Kane's fault. He does that reverse clearing pass back into the zone too much for my liking and that time it cost the Hawks.

On the Ducks second goal - Oduya played it too passively and as zac has correctly described it - he didn't have to. He should have aggressively attacked the puck and make it much harder for Getzlaf to throw it on net. Watch the video from the overhead camera at center ice and you'll see Kane misplayed it too. Kane speeds back into the zone and follows Ryan but then he watches Getzlaf and loses track of Ryan and leaves Ryan unchecked right in front of the net.

Kane manned up after the game and shouldered responsibility and good on him for doing that because if he had played better it's very likely the Ducks would not have scored their first and second goals. Kane has been magical this year and I'd say he's played great for about 28 of the 30 games - but last night was not a good game for him.

On the GWG - every Hawk player on the ice played it poorly.
Good post. This is how I saw it as well... though I maintain that if CC had smothered that one shot, the third would likely not have happened ... and playing without Sharp and Hossa, after a poor start, we would have got away with a squeaker 2 pts on the road. But CC didn't and we lost. No one is saying the sky is falling but one thing is certain in my mind. Ducks are for real this season.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Cutting the angle off is only part of it.

If you look at the defensmen who had great games: Hammer, Keith, and Leddy they not only cut off angles but they also put pressure on the puck and were hard on the pokecheck. When you have great positioning, which Oduya did, you don't continue to concede ground you look to pokecheck it away, especially when you have the boards as an "extra defender". Instead Oduya let his opponent gain ground, dictate play, and get the shot off which lead to the rebound.

This is the same crap that gets Keith in trouble. When Keith is hard on the puck, as he was last night, he can be a very good defender. But when Keith (and Seabrook) just drift back and let opponents bum rush our zone they give up goals in bunches. If you are aggressive (within reason) good things happen.
He cut off the angle, and as he was about to put his stick on the puck Getzlaf let a quick shot go. First off, we are talking about him playing against an elite player in the game, second of all, it was ALL on Crawford for giving up that juicy rebound. Thirdly, if Kane would of picked up his man, no one would of been there to get that juicy rebound.

Oduya was not to blame at all for that goal. I'll take my Dmen making other playerrs shoot from the corners all day. Goalies should be covering those pucks up, not giving up juicy rebounds to the front of the net.

Closed Thread