HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Anyone been following the Adria Richards fiasco?

Old
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Anyone been following the Adria Richards fiasco?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2932686.html

Nice rundown with some links of info on what happened

http://www.businessinsider.com/femal...ichards-2013-3

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/21/41...-death-threats

The comments are actually a better source of information than the article (poor piece by The Verge)

----

Talk about a cluster****. Richards had no business tweeting that picture of the two coders and, subsequently, getting them removed (and getting one guy with kids fired). All of the ridiculous death threats and stuff coming her way are ridiculous.

Crazy ****.

Richards is pretty hypocritical, though. In the Verge comments section, you see a screen cap'd tweet of HER making a dick joke during the conference before she got "offended" by the coders behind her.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
kingsholygrail
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

People taking 4chan seriously. lol

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
People taking 4chan seriously. lol
TO me, the death threat crap is a nonfactor. Just idiots being idiots.

The other stuff is the real meat.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Good to hear she was canned. Pretty crazy sequence of events.

One of my pet peeves is when people complain about being offended or insulted. Most often they resort to being upset or offended because they aren't educated enough to understand a topic, or mature enough to grasp that a conversation has nothing to do with them.

Tech geeks making sexual innuendo jokes would be the norm in that field. Hell, she does it herself. What a hypocrite.

Last edited by Jek McPorkins: 03-22-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:45 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Glad to hear her get fired.Feminazis

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Props to the company that fired her. Feel bad for a guy getting fired for making a "big dongle" joke at a conference...

This is not a feminist/male thing, this a a someone acting in poor taste and instead of asking them to stop, or ignoring them, you post it all over the internet, along with a picture of them... for some reason...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Patchey*

If her skin was any thinner, her organs would spill out.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:05 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Some of her tweets are priceless. She gets mad about a dongle joke and then makes penis references on her twitter.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
She's a thin skinned feminist.

Before someone gets mad, notice I said feminist, not woman.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Apaharn

This woman is a sociopath. I am not even going to start on the pretentiousness of labeling herself as a "technology/developer evangelist."

To the surprise of no one, Jezebel is spinning this as a "feminist is being oppressed by the boys club who fear a smart, strong, independent woman" and is circling the wagons.

http://jezebel.com/5991792/woman-in-...eltdown-ensues

The funny thing, or sadly, is that mainstream media is trying to stick to the narrative of "woman is attacked by misogynist coders" such as:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/techn...d-fired/63400/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...loyee/2007605/

Given the vitriol to which she is being defended by feminists and the army of white knights in any forum that allow comments, the level of brainwashing is incredible in that a woman is not accountable for her actions, even with concrete proof as shown in her history of past tweets regarding genitalia jokes and race topics.

Apaharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Free Edler
Soft.

I worked with 'evangelist' types when I was at EA and the explosion of HootSuite in Vancouver has made these insufferable people multiply at a rate I've never seen before. Quite literally everyone who works at a successful start-up or tech firm is some sort of 'evangelist,' 'maven,' 'coach,' or some other ridiculous title. My favourite is 'thought-leader.'

Usually, they're funny because they take themselves way too seriously as we found out in this story. Most of them are marketers, not actual tech people who can write lines of code or create anything functional. Of course, I'm a marketing guy too but I don't hide behind stupid made up titles.

In the end, many of them are just low-rent sales people who are often as good (or better if you get in at a good company on the ground floor and are eventually able to cash out) at selling themselves than the actual product they are hired to promote/market/sell.

Last edited by Free Edler: 03-23-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Free Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:20 AM
chasespace

So for those of us who don't know, what is a 'tech evangelist'?

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Can anyone tell me why I should care about this woman or this story? There's like 2 whole pages on our Hawks board and all I've gathered is that people need to learn that loose lips sink ships.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Can anyone tell me why I should care about this woman or this story? There's like 2 whole pages on our Hawks board and all I've gathered is that people need to learn that loose lips sink ships.
I don't even know why this is a big deal.

The only reason it's even an issue at all is because she made it public...

Old
03-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Mike Emrick
N'ord

Yeah I don't know what the big deal is

She got sacked, good for her

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 50
Karma is a *****...just like her.

03-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Excellent article by Amanda Blum on the whole situations.
Agree with here on just about every front.

https://amandablumwords.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/3/

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:20 AM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

She'll probably get a job as a talking head on some crappy internet tech show for being "wild" and "out there" and "controversial". It's pretty clear that's what she looking for....attention.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Can anyone tell me why I should care about this woman or this story?
Well, it pertains to the growing issue of social responsibility in the digital age. It may seem like it has nothing to do with any of us, but most of us have cell phones and could, if we wanted to, embarrass others who are doing things that we disapprove of by taking photos and putting them online for thousands (or more) to laugh at or condemn. This is a good reminder that seeking to embarrass another person could end up #1) causing that person more harm (psychological or actual) than you intended, and 2) cause yourself harm (psychological or actual).

It's a good lesson that taking a photo of someone and sharing it with the world is not usually the best way to handle a situation. You don't have to be a feminist or insecure (even though those likely played a role in this case). We've all been annoyed with people in our lives, whether it's a co-worker taking your lunch or the person in the plane seat behind you, for example. The best course of action is to take your beef up with the person as discretely as possible. One of the worst courses of action is to, especially without saying a word, simply take a photo and rat the person out to the entire world, and this "Richards fiasco" is a good example of that. Cameras are good for getting justice, but trying to take the actual delivery of justice into our own hands (ex. by posting photos/video online) can backfire spectacularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
So for those of us who don't know, what is a 'tech evangelist'?
It's someone who promotes/lobbies for/reviews/blogs about/etc technology and how it will change our lives (like how a traditional "evangelist" tells anyone who will hear about how accepting religion will change their lives). It's more of a title that one embraces to describe himself or herself, though, not one that anyone is likely to call another out of the blue. Sined could probably call himself a tech evangelist if he wanted to, but I doubt that he'd want to. It seems to me like one of those terms more popular among the Silicon Valley "in crowd."

Last edited by Osprey: 03-25-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Sined could probably call himself a tech evangelist if he wanted to, but I doubt that he'd want to. It seems to me like one of those terms more popular among the Silicon Valley "in crowd."
I want to be part of the "in crowd" of silicon valley! Maybe I should call myself a tech evangelist!

Sadly though, full time work has quickly eaten up all my "evangelizing" time.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I want to be part of the "in crowd" of silicon valley! Maybe I should call myself a tech evangelist!

Preech it brother Sined.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:37 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It's someone who promotes/lobbies for/reviews/blogs about/etc technology and how it will change our lives (like how a traditional "evangelist" tells anyone who will hear about how accepting religion will change their lives). It's more of a title that one embraces to describe himself or herself, though, not one that anyone is likely to call another out of the blue. Sined could probably call himself a tech evangelist if he wanted to, but I doubt that he'd want to. It seems to me like one of those terms more popular among the Silicon Valley "in crowd."
I'm guessing they generally aren't necessarily techies themselves but more marketing people?

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well that's two minutes of my life I'll never get back. Everyone involved in this story is ********.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:50 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post

Are you at least getting to work in tech type stuff? You seem to have a real passion for it. I know I speak for many here when I say I appreciate all your help over the years with questions and comparisons and whatnot.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm guessing they generally aren't necessarily techies themselves but more marketing people?
A bit of both actually. One of the best evangelists I've met is a Microsoft Evangelist. She could program, but most of all knew how to sell the strong points of making Windows Phone apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Are you at least getting to work in tech type stuff? You seem to have a real passion for it. I know I speak for many here when I say I appreciate all your help over the years with questions and comparisons and whatnot.
I'm a Tools Programmer at Ubisoft. =D
Just a different segment of the tech sector.