HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-inclusive Bud Holloway Love/Hate Fest

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 11:28 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

vCash: 500
I think Dean wants a two-way contract, and THAT is a problem with Bud. That's the feeling I got from Dean's comments yesterday about "Let’s get over here and give it another shot." Could I be wrong about this? Possibly, but I don't think Dean is willing to guarantee him a spot on the Kings. Bud is a star over there, he's not going to sign a contract where he can be sent back to Manchester. Unfortunately, I think this means Bud walks away from the Kings and signs elsewhere after July 5th.

Last edited by ScoreZeGoals: 06-24-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old
06-24-2013, 11:59 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
This kid seems like a diva and I bet he wouldn't do well in our locker room.
No, just seems more saavy about managing his own career. I don't blame him at all for any of this. Everyone has to do what they feel is right for themselves.

I would LIKE it if a deal could be worked out, but if one can't, then one can't. Leaving cap space open for Holloway was probably not very high on Lombardi's priorities for the off-season, nor should it have been. Getting him signed would be gravy.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674
Lol

Quote:
So Soderberg had 11 fewer points in SEL than Holloway and got $1 mill per for 3 years and yet Holloway is a diva for wanting something similar?

I don't get it. Sign Holloway and let Penner walk, simple

Old
06-24-2013, 12:56 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

If Holloway doesn't sign, I think Pearson gets a spot on the LW. I really think we need more offensive skill on the left side. Plus Pearson gives us a left handed shot. If we go with Brown, Holloway, and Frattin. They're all right handed. So, there would be no left handed shots in the top 9 on the wing. Another concern with those 3 on the left side is if you wanted put Carter at center, your gonna have no left handed shots on that line. Unless you put a lesser skilled player like King or Clifford with him.

------------------

Interesting stat note is Holloway and Pearson both literally put up identical stats in their first full seasons in Manchester. Both score 19 goals & 28 assists for 47 points. However, Pearson did it in 11 less games then Holloway and was 2 years younger. Although in Holloway's defense, he probably did it with less talented line mates. I can't remember who he played with that year. But, they probably weren't as good as Vey and Toffoli.

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 06-24-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old
06-24-2013, 12:58 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
So Soderberg had 11 fewer points in SEL than Holloway and got $1 mill per for 3 years and yet Holloway is a diva for wanting something similar?

Especially at $1,000,000 per. If he doesn't work out, trade or waive him. Take the risk.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:01 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
If Holloway doesn't sign, I think Pearson gets a spot on the LW. I really think we need more offensive skill on the left side. Plus Pearson gives us a left handed shot. If we go with Brown, Holloway, and Frattin. They're all right handed. So, there would no left handed shots in the top 9 on the wing. Another concern with those 3 on the left side is if you wanted put Carter at center, your gonna have no left handed shots on that line. Unless you put a lesser skilled player like King or Clifford with him.

------------------

Interesting stat note is Holloway and Pearson both literally put up identical stats in their first full seasons in Manchester. Both score 19 goals & 28 assists for 47 points. However, Pearson did it in 11 less games then Holloway and was 2 years younger. Although in Holloway's defense, he probably did it with less talented line mates. I can't remember who he played with that year. But, they probably weren't as good as Vey and Toffoli.
Those are great points and I hadn't considered the Lefty/Righty shot thing.

I have seen both Bud and TP play a ton and if I were forced to choose between them I would go with Pearson. It would be close but I see him as being more suited to the way our team is built. Bud is great and plays a solid two way game but I think TP plays a bigger style of the two and cycles better.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post

Was it written somewhere that he only wants a million? It's possible that he is asking for more, and DL could be waiting to see if he can sign scuds before going up on his offer to holloway.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Fishhead

I would be surprised if anything moves on Bud in the next week. What DL can offer hinges on what happens with Scuderi, and while another LW would be nice, Scuds is obviously a bigger priority.

Bernier was the first domino. I would expect things to move along quicker now so hopefully we won't have much longer to wait before we know what happens with Holloway.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Translated just a handful of posts above yours. I've been saying Bud won't sign from the get go. Sticking with that sentiment through and through.
Yup. At this point it would shock me. Especially with how damn tight the cap is.

Quote:
I'd tend to agree with this. I haven't seen or read one thing that would encourage me into thinking he wants to play for the Kings and contend for a Stanley Cup - the ultimate goal of every player. He'll turn into yet another player we get rid of that goes on to flourish.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
santiclaws

Frettin is the same age, height and weight. Both shoot right. I would put the chances of Holloway ending up in L.A. at slim to none.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:54 PM
kings11

I Honestly believe frattin took holloway s spot and though I'm a bud fan it's his loss

Old
06-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Yup. At this point it would shock me. Especially with how damn tight the cap is.
Thing is this is EXACTLY why I see the Holloway signing as vital. On the UFA market you will not get a top 6 forward for the 1.25-1.5 that Holloway will get and I have no problem seeing him as a top 6 forward next year.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Thing is this is EXACTLY why I see the Holloway signing as vital. On the UFA market you will not get a top 6 forward for the 1.25-1.5 that Holloway will get and I have no problem seeing him as a top 6 forward next year.
I still believe we can sign Holloway, if we will get rid of some waste (FRASER, ELLERBY, and KING)

Old
06-24-2013, 02:12 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Yup. You can't get a top 6 forward for under 2 million in UfA.

We have a shot at signing one, we should take it.

Someone just said it get rid of the spare parts like Fraser and king open up some cap from replaceable players.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
This is how I feel as well. Holloway gives us options, and that's always a good thing. If Frattin can't handle second line duty (which I don't think he can) do we really want King or Clifford elevated again? That basically only leaves Pearson. If we sign Holloway, we have three bodies (Holloway, Frattin, and Pearson) that can fight it out to fill two positions of need (2nd and 3rd line left wing). Clifford is a 4th liner, and King is a borderline 4th liner, they need to be treated as such.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

First time ever that I despise the salary cap.

I like this team and we cant make the moves to keep this team intact. Yet I understand its there.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Any other season -- the previous or the one upcoming the year after -- and I don't think Lombardi has an issue with taking a chance that Holloway pans out.

It's unfortunate timing, but the shrinking cap is more than likely why Lombardi is going to play it more cautious than usual because that's money he could allocate in a lot of other areas. That's why, to be honest, I don't think he can afford to gamble on Holloway as a top 6 player. The team is just as likely to end up with another Brad Richardson situation where you have a part-time player riding the pine at over a million dollars, which is going to overtax the budget.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Richie10

I don't see the huge risk in signing Holloway for around 1.5. You're not going to get much more bang for your buck there. If he flops, waive him or buy him out. Seems pretty simple.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post

I like this team and we cant make the moves to keep this team intact. Yet I understand its there.
We are still in better shape than many teams. And the only reason we are in any trouble is because of it falling.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:09 PM
bmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post

Yes, it sucks..but since Dean has managed the team so well it's not as bad as it could be. It's kind of like a puzzle; you find the pieces that fit and go from there.

I believe that signing Holloway is important as well. It gives you options on the 2nd/3rd lines. We already know Toffoli can play 2nd line. We have no idea if Frattin will fit there. Holloway should be able to fill in nicely on either line. I know we haven't seen him play in the NHL yet, but I firmly believe he could be a solid contributor for us.

We will be KICKING ourselves if we let this guy go. Dean should just give him the 1-way contract for 2 years at 1-1.5 per and see how it plays out. It's not like that contract is an albatross and handcuffs us. If it works out, great..if not, oh well. I would be more pissed to see him go to another NHL club and tear it up.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:17 PM
guderian

Can Kings sign Holloway for lets say 750k plus bonuses (41gmp=150k, 5g=200k, 10a=200k ...or something like that)?

He could easly reach those bounuses and get 1,3M and Kings could cary that extra cap hit via bonus cushion in to the next year.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:

I absolutely agree. If a few plugs were the difference in having Holloway or not, they'd need to be gone.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:41 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Vital?? A guy who hasn't played a single NHL game? LOTS of players have done very well in the SEL and barely made a ripple in the NHL. He may turn out to be a good player, but there's an excellent chance he won't. He may not even be good enough to make the team after camp. The reason he is not worth more than about $1M is that he is hardly a sure-fire top six player. He's not even a sure-fire NHL player and these days, wasting a million in cap space can bite you in the ass in a big way.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:42 PM
EmperorPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by guderian View Post
Can Kings sign Holloway for lets say 750k plus bonuses (41gmp=150k, 5g=200k, 10a=200k ...or something like that)?

He could easly reach those bounuses and get 1,3M and Kings could cary that extra cap hit via bonus cushion in to the next year.
Someone with better CBA knowledge then I could answer this better but I believe all bonus cushions are gone. I actually believe they were gone under the old CBA too at one point. Basically if a player can potentially earn 1.3 mill then they count for a 1.3 mill cap hit regardless. Take B.Schenn, his salary is only about 900k, everything else is performance bonuses, but he still counts for 3.11M cap hit.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
bmr

It's looking increasingly unlikely that we will see Holloway next year. His agent (Wallen) said in the paper that he's set to play in Skelleftea. However, it could just be a tactic to try and get a better contract. Who knows what Sweden is set to pay him next year or what the KHL offered. The NHL is the place to be. I can't imagine that Bud would pass up the opportunity. It would really be a slap in the face if he negotiated a contract with another team in July. I can't imagine that any NHL team is going to want to pay him over 1.5 mill, especially in a salary cap driven year.

Closed Thread