HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did i make a mistake?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2013, 04:51 PM
  #1
Ovechtrick89
Registered User
 
Ovechtrick89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 405
Did i make a mistake?

This may get long winded but hear me out if you will:

Not sure if many on this board know but i'm from England and I started watching hockey about 7/8 years ago when a Canadian friend of mine i knew in school introduced me to it. His ex pat dad was a huge Habs fan and i remember one day going round their house and instead of doing the normal s**t you do with your school buddies i sat on his sofa just watching a hockey game and being mesmerised.

There was this little period after that where all i was doing was abandoning my true sport which was and still is football (soccer to you) and just watching what i could of hockey. I didn't have a team so i had to naturally get one and that's when i came across Alex Ovechkin, i'd never seen anything like it and seeing as i naturally gravitate to true skill players in any sport i said to myself 'I don't care who he plays for i'm supporting that team as of now'.

Now obviously being a noob to hockey and the NHL i had no idea his team was the Washington Capitals. So as i progressed from being a rookie fan to actually caring who his team mates were i started to really like guys like Semin and Backstrom and my investment in them started to grow.

My support for the caps is big time LOYAL. Honestly i'm telling the truth when i say that i lose interest in watching hockey when they don't play. Every year they get knocked out of the cup i just stop watching until the stanley finals where i convince myself to watch. That's how much i care about this team.

I'm now at a point where i literally know most of the little intricacies and nuances of the sport, i could probably lecture that Canadian dudes dad on fore and back checking and teach him a thing or two.

Anyway here's where my question comes into play, have i invested too much into an organisation that looks like it clearly DOESN'T care. Year after year i keep getting my hopes up only to be shot down by an idiot owner and GM who doesn't invest properly the way the great teams in the NHL do to get a cup. I keep telling myself like i did when i was younger 'as long as we have Ovechkin we have a chance' but it looks increasingly year on year that no matter how great he is, he needs help but this owner and more importantly GM won't do anything about it.

This article has basically culminated from me sitting and watching free agent day as the names roll off the screen going to other teams while GM just sits there, let's Ribeiro walk and not do anything to replace him.

I will always support the Caps as long as i'm a hockey fan but i'm just sick of investing so much and getting let down every year when it counts when things can be done to get this team over the hump.

So I ask, did i make a mistake 7 years ago trusting Ted and George?


Last edited by Ovechtrick89: 07-06-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Ovechtrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:00 PM
  #2
Bethesda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
We all did

Bethesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:01 PM
  #3
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick89 View Post
I ask, did i make a mistake 7 years ago trusting Ted and George?
Yes.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:01 PM
  #4
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,584
vCash: 500
You could do a lot worse than the Caps.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:11 PM
  #5
Ovechtrick89
Registered User
 
Ovechtrick89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
You could do a lot worse than the Caps.
Oh i know, i ended up picking a decent team all those years back (even though they were pretty bad back then) but it just baffles me that a team with such a GREAT talent can fail so much when he's putting up MVP numbers.

That's down to the GM i'm afraid.

Ovechtrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:15 PM
  #6
Dr John Carlson
Light is all over us
 
Dr John Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,645
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
You could do a lot worse than the Caps.
Exactly. At the end of day, when our 2C is Mathieu Perreault and our 2LD is John Erskine, we can relax and say to ourselves, "At least we aren't Calgary."

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:18 PM
  #7
Bethesda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
I'm not sure what "a lot worse" is.

You know what is awesome? Being a Wizards fan. They ALWAYS suck and you never get your heart broken. Is that worse? I would say no.

Bethesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:18 PM
  #8
HOLDITHERE*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
Exactly. At the end of day, when our 2C is Mathieu Perreault and our 2LD is John Erskine, we can relax and say to ourselves, "At least we aren't Calgary."

HOLDITHERE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:38 PM
  #9
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
Exactly. At the end of day, when our 2C is Mathieu Perreault and our 2LD is John Erskine, we can relax and say to ourselves, "At least we aren't Calgary."
On the flip side of that, some would argue that would be better, since they have been to a Cup final more recently

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:42 PM
  #10
trick9
Registered User
 
trick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,893
vCash: 50
It's especially frustrating that GMGM failed to make those 1/2 quality additions few years ago when Caps were rolling. Adding top D and 2C would have got us very close to the cup and he chose to keep drafting and here we are now. Nowhere near cup and lots of more holes to fill than few years back.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:42 PM
  #11
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Enjoy the franchise that's not invested in winning

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:30 PM
  #12
fashi13
Registered User
 
fashi13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick9 View Post
It's especially frustrating that GMGM failed to make those 1/2 quality additions few years ago when Caps were rolling. Adding top D and 2C would have got us very close to the cup and he chose to keep drafting and here we are now. Nowhere near cup and lots of more holes to fill than few years back.
Exactly, apparently he thought tyler sloan, schultz, and erskine belong in the top 6 of a championship team......I'm ok with erskine on the bottom pair but having all of them in the line up was nuts.

fashi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:43 PM
  #13
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
On the flip side of that, some would argue that would be better, since they have been to a Cup final more recently
They've won a Cup. Thats more than I can say as a Caps fan for 36 years.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:16 PM
  #14
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
Exactly. At the end of day, when our 2C is Mathieu Perreault and our 2LD is John Erskine, we can relax and say to ourselves, "At least we aren't Calgary."
Until you realize their 2LD is Brodie and their 2C is Monahan

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:24 PM
  #15
Jedgi
Registered User
 
Jedgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,062
vCash: 500
Deciding to follow any DC team is a mistake. Meltdowns on the big stage all day every day.

I've been told it's similar to Arsenal, who always does well in the "regular season", but melts down in the Champions League. I'm trying to pick an EPL team and thinking about picking them because I'm a masochist (and I see similarities to them and the Caps).

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:56 PM
  #16
OviTaughtMe
Registered User
 
OviTaughtMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Drexel Univ.
Country: United States
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
Deciding to follow any DC team is a mistake. Meltdowns on the big stage all day every day.

I've been told it's similar to Arsenal, who always does well in the "regular season", but melts down in the Champions League. I'm trying to pick an EPL team and thinking about picking them because I'm a masochist (and I see similarities to them and the Caps).
LOL.

I literally just picked my BPL team like a few months ago and it is Arsenal (they have a lot of black guys and they have a cool ass name lol).

I've been reading up and apparently, they are spitting image of the pre-2004 Boston Red Sox.

God i hate sports lol

OviTaughtMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:09 AM
  #17
SashaSemin28
My Krasnaya Mashina
 
SashaSemin28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Darwen, England.
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,470
vCash: 833
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
You have to ask yourself two questions. Did watching the Capitals compromise your GCSE's/A-Levels by staying up till stupid o'clock to watch the Caps. Secondly, do you still want to watch? May I ask who you support for football as if its a team like Arsenal, then its really comparable, Kroenke is exactly like Ted.

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:20 AM
  #18
Vabeachblue
Registered User
 
Vabeachblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Va
Country: United States
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
I just picked an EPL team, my buddy is a flyers fan and hates liverpool so I have started following liverpool.

Vabeachblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:39 AM
  #19
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick89 View Post
This may get long winded but hear me out if you will:

Not sure if many on this board know but i'm from England and I started watching hockey about 7/8 years ago when a Canadian friend of mine i knew in school introduced me to it. His ex pat dad was a huge Habs fan and i remember one day going round their house and instead of doing the normal s**t you do with your school buddies i sat on his sofa just watching a hockey game and being mesmerised.

There was this little period after that where all i was doing was abandoning my true sport which was and still is football (soccer to you) and just watching what i could of hockey. I didn't have a team so i had to naturally get one and that's when i came across Alex Ovechkin, i'd never seen anything like it and seeing as i naturally gravitate to true skill players in any sport i said to myself 'I don't care who he plays for i'm supporting that team as of now'.

Now obviously being a noob to hockey and the NHL i had no idea his team was the Washington Capitals. So as i progressed from being a rookie fan to actually caring who his team mates were i started to really like guys like Semin and Backstrom and my investment in them started to grow.

My support for the caps is big time LOYAL. Honestly i'm telling the truth when i say that i lose interest in watching hockey when they don't play. Every year they get knocked out of the cup i just stop watching until the stanley finals where i convince myself to watch. That's how much i care about this team.

I'm now at a point where i literally know most of the little intricacies and nuances of the sport, i could probably lecture that Canadian dudes dad on fore and back checking and teach him a thing or two.

Anyway here's where my question comes into play, have i invested too much into an organisation that looks like it clearly DOESN'T care. Year after year i keep getting my hopes up only to be shot down by an idiot owner and GM who doesn't invest properly the way the great teams in the NHL do to get a cup. I keep telling myself like i did when i was younger 'as long as we have Ovechkin we have a chance' but it looks increasingly year on year that no matter how great he is, he needs help but this owner and more importantly GM won't do anything about it.

This article has basically culminated from me sitting and watching free agent day as the names roll off the screen going to other teams while GM just sits there, let's Ribeiro walk and not do anything to replace him.

I will always support the Caps as long as i'm a hockey fan but i'm just sick of investing so much and getting let down every year when it counts when things can be done to get this team over the hump.

So I ask, did i make a mistake 7 years ago trusting Ted and George?
oh, and to answer your question?

Ask Ted. He thinks of himself as a man of the people, and a "fan". I'm sure he will give you an honest answer

my advice? run for the hills, away from this team. While you still can. Some of us can't, we are too far in.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:59 AM
  #20
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OviTaughtMe View Post
I've been reading up and apparently, they are spitting image of the pre-2004 Boston Red Sox.
Bite your friggin' tongue.

Go read Fever Pitch, wipe any memory of that Red Sucks based movie bastardization of Hornby's classic from your memory, and then come back and try again.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
  #21
OviTaughtMe
Registered User
 
OviTaughtMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Drexel Univ.
Country: United States
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Bite your friggin' tongue.

Go read Fever Pitch, wipe any memory of that Red Sucks based movie bastardization of Hornby's classic from your memory, and then come back and try again.
I'm pretty sure not everyone knows who Arsenal is so what's wrong with comparing them to a team that Americans know?

I wasn't talking about the movie

OviTaughtMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:06 PM
  #22
SashaSemin28
My Krasnaya Mashina
 
SashaSemin28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Darwen, England.
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,470
vCash: 833
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OviTaughtMe View Post
I'm pretty sure not everyone knows who Arsenal is so what's wrong with comparing them to a team that Americans know?

I wasn't talking about the movie
Arsenal are nothing like the Red Sox though, the most apt comparison from 05 onwards is the Caps.

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:35 PM
  #23
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
The Caps are in an exceptionally bad place right now and until Ted moves along. The Caps from 1982-1990 ish were great teams. Our goalies were never good enough and our centers were never as good as the other team's centers. But those teams competed. They hit, fought, scratched and clawed. Those were good teams on the rise. Scott Stevens, Langway, Bengt, Gartner, Hunter from 1987 on. Dino! I have no problem with those teams.

And then they let Stevens go, didn't trade for Selanne when they had a deal made, drafted horribly...and then we soon get to Ted n' George. We had a chance from 2008-2011 but we weren't bold and protected our nuts and signed marginal players. It'll take a genius to turn this around. And no genius will look at Ted and say, "This is a man I can work with!"

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:44 PM
  #24
Generational Player
Registered User
 
Generational Player's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 10,095
vCash: 500
The OP and I have very similar back stories when it comes to how we came to be Cap fans. The only difference is I have always loved hockey.

I was looking for a team to root for after having been out of the country for several years. Coming out of the lockout it was between these two young phenoms named Ovechkin or Crosby. Crosby looked like a tool and I have always disliked Mario 'the whiner' Lemeiux.

Falling in love with Ovechkin thru highlights and the 2004 draft was the biggest mistake of my sports fan life. His prime years will be wasted and if he is to win a Cup it will be ala Ray Bourque, so he will get very little, if any, credit unless he is exceptional during the run.

The only thing that keeps my sanity is that I also love watching Patrick Kane and have followed him since London. Ovie however will always have a special place in my heart, as he gave me hope as a fan after the crap lockout of '04.


Last edited by Generational Player: 07-07-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Generational Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:57 AM
  #25
Fallschirmyager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,503
vCash: 500
If you base your choice on great and exciting regular seasons you have chosen well. If you expect post season success you chose......poorly.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.