HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Ribeiro

View Poll Results: Ribeiro
Sign him 69 55.65%
Trade him 55 44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
tycoonheart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Older player, playing better than ever when he's put on a line with a future HOFer in a contract year.
He was playing with Ward when he started the season. And he was producing.

He's playing with Laich and Brouwer now and he is still producing.

He played with Ovi, and he was producing then as well.

And he's played close to PPG in his career before.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:16 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
More on the Ribeiro-Nylander comparison

Nylander age 33 season - 79 points in 81 games
Nylander age 34 season - 83 points in 79 games
*gets big contract*
Nylander age 35 season - 37 points in 40 games
Nylander age 36 season - 33 points in 72 games

Ribeiro age 32 season - 63 points in 74 games
Ribeiro age 33 season - 34 points in 32 games*
*gets big contract*
????
You forgot to add the teams. Ribs is at least doing it with these guys.

Nyls also got hurt at age 35, which more significantly contributed to the decline than blanket age. Hard to draw a direct comparison.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
You forgot to add the teams. Ribs is at least doing it with these guys.

Nyls also got hurt at age 35, which more significantly contributed to the decline than blanket age. Hard to draw a direct comparison.
Well the injury risk is significantly higher for an older player, wouldn't you agree? That's certainly part of the risk factor to signing an older player with a slight frame.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Blades of Steel
log off.

vCash: 50
I'm not sure its going to be that difficult, either he wants too long and too much or he's willing to take a discount at term (really doubt it). McPhee isn't going to lose his nuts.

Blades of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

Exactly 50% of his points have come on the PP. There aren't a lot of pluggers on the PP for the Caps.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

His ES production doesn't matter much. He's going to get scored on as much as he scores, barring luck. So if you can find someone that does better than that you do it, unless you think his special teams' contributions are going to make up for it.

And therein lies the rub with Ribeiro. He's having a monster year producing at a rate that is so clearly unsustainable. So you ask yourself, what are you actually going get from him there going forward? Can you get it from someone else, someone cheaper and/or more versatile? Can you use someone you already have in that spot and get someone who can PK?

He's not going to be worth what he'll make. There's more to it than that, but keeping him is an uphill battle from there.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Well the injury risk is significantly higher for an older player, wouldn't you agree? That's certainly part of the risk factor to signing an older player with a slight frame.
Age is a risk to all players IMHO wrt injury. Not sure I think you can draw the comparisons to see a statistically relevant dependency of injury on a player's build.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Carlzner

It's amazing how much 3 games can change people's opinions...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
It's amazing how much 3 games can change people's opinions...
No, it's not. Not when 7 points separate the 6th seed, who will play the winner of the SE, and the 12th seed. Not when the team is healthy, playing well, and winning games. The only teams realistically not in contention for a shot at the dance are Florida and Tampa Bay. And that's all that matters, is a shot. I don't want to hear about how this team isn't built for the SC because nobody knows how the play-offs will turn out.

You may continue to ramble about half a season of sucking does not make up for 4 good games, but any knowledgeable fan knew this was coming. No training camp, new coach, no veteran netminder, injuries all over the roster; I think it was pretty much accepted that the Caps would struggle for their first 20. I don't think the amount of suck was anticipated, but they've got their **** together now and we'll see if they keep it up.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

We don't know if they have their **** together. They looked good at times earlier in the season, too. It just so happens that they were playing bad teams and came out looking good (Bruins game excepted, obviously).

The problem, then, is that this team probably can't prove it's actually turned the corner until after the deadline. Granted, they can prove they're not the worst like they were before by beating the Isles a couple times coming up, but otherwise it's just a whole bunch of question marks. Kind of maddening.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:17 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
His ES production doesn't matter much. He's going to get scored on as much as he scores, ..............

He's not going to be worth what he'll make. There's more to it than that, but keeping him is an uphill battle from there.
I haven't seen many games. Hard for me to judge his ES play overall.

But for C you can create a lot of offense but have stone hands on the other end. Can be more defined at ES. Not sure if the influx of young 2 line wingers (Kuz/Forsberg) actually can boost his play on ES.

On the PP, hes likely given the room considering the overload on Ovi. Backstrom has always had the extra space but never dominated with that space. Perhaps Ribs has that ability?

Old
03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I haven't seen many games. Hard for me to judge his ES play overall.

But for C you can create a lot of offense but have stone hands on the other end. Can be more defined at ES. Not sure if the influx of young 2 line wingers (Kuz/Forsberg) actually can boost his play on ES.

On the PP, hes likely given the room considering the overload on Ovi. Backstrom has always had the extra space but never dominated with that space. Perhaps Ribs has that ability?
His linemates are shooting a bit above average (~9%) with him. So he's not getting stone-handed, I think. The other teams just get more shots and attempts than the Caps do when he's on the ice. Too many one-and-dones and not coming out ahead on the turnover math either, I think. And that's the player he's been for the past few years; guy who will give up more chances than he gets. Unless you get lucky shooting or have a big goaltending advantage, that's going to come out as a net negative.

The space argument on the PP could be something. Having both Backstrom and Ribeiro there might be why it works. But I don't know; either way, I don't expect it to actually work much longer. They don't generate enough shots on the PP, and until the point shot (whether it's Green, Carlson, or other) becomes a legit threat they're only going to succeed as long as Ovi can get his looks.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
EroCaps

Finally, McPhee is forced to make a difficult decision that will test his merit as a GM.

He must have an idea of what Ribeiro is looking for in a new deal.

Sign him and acquire a veteran defenseman for the push...or trade him.

He sits on his hands and Ribeiro walks after the season he's incompetent. No ifs ands or buts about it.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:23 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
We don't know if they have their **** together. They looked good at times earlier in the season, too. It just so happens that they were playing bad teams and came out looking good (Bruins game excepted, obviously).

The problem, then, is that this team probably can't prove it's actually turned the corner until after the deadline. Granted, they can prove they're not the worst like they were before by beating the Isles a couple times coming up, but otherwise it's just a whole bunch of question marks. Kind of maddening.
Very true, and it's exactly what I've feared would happen. My (and our collective) worst fear is play .500 hockey, finish in 9th or 10th, don't trade Ribs then lose him for nothing, and finish high enough in the standings that we miss out of the top 4 of the draft.

One point we're not making though is that everyone outside of Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Boston are a whole bunch of question marks as well. Would anyone be surprised to see Winnipeg or Carolina collapse completely? Winnipeg has fallen off big time and Carolina has poor defense and no Ward. Ottawa and NJ are hammered by injuries, the Rangers are underachieving, the Maple Leafs started hot and are now falling back, and the Isles aren't exactly a proven commodity either.

We may be playing good hockey at the right time, or it may have just been a flash in the pan and we'll continue to meddle around .500.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
No, it's not. Not when 7 points separate the 6th seed, who will play the winner of the SE, and the 12th seed. Not when the team is healthy, playing well, and winning games. The only teams realistically not in contention for a shot at the dance are Florida and Tampa Bay. And that's all that matters, is a shot. I don't want to hear about how this team isn't built for the SC because nobody knows how the play-offs will turn out.

You may continue to ramble about half a season of sucking does not make up for 4 good games, but any knowledgeable fan knew this was coming. No training camp, new coach, no veteran netminder, injuries all over the roster; I think it was pretty much accepted that the Caps would struggle for their first 20. I don't think the amount of suck was anticipated, but they've got their **** together now and we'll see if they keep it up.
Knew what was coming? 3 games doesn't mean jack ****. It's gonna take a lot more than 3 games to prove they have their **** together, and I was almost convinced after the first ten minutes last night, but then...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:28 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

At this point, there's at least a slim chance this team makes the playoffs regardless of whether they should or not, so Ribs is only getting traded if one of two things happens:

1. Some GM offers McPhee the sun, moon, and stars: roster player, top prospect, likely early 1st 2013 pick
2. The team loses the next 4 games and are totally out of it by April 3 (and even then it might not happen)

calicapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
......... They don't generate enough shots on the PP, and until the point shot (whether it's Green, Carlson, or other) becomes a legit threat they're only going to succeed as long as Ovi can get his looks.
What no 61 love...

Thanks for your feedback. So your visual evidence they seem to in the chance/shot/zone time comparison also get the negative end. Appreciate it.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Liberati0n*

All of this keeping brs' stats in mind:
I've gone back and forth on this. I would change my vote to re-sign him now. It sounds like security is more important to him than money, so maybe he can be had for $5M as long as the years are there. With the team in an incoherent tailspin, it makes sense to trade him. If they have the potential to get themselves together behind an Ovechkin roar-back, he has to be re-signed. Assuming they will actually try to replace him in a real way if he's gone, which is a gigantic assumption, it's extremely unlikely they're going to find a replacement with a better cost-benefit ratio, whether the cost is in cap space drained by a UFA or in assets required in a trade. Ribeiro at $5M for his career-norm production is perfectly fine.

Age-wrought decline is the only real concern, and I tend to believe players like him aren't as vulnerable to it. I don't care what happened to an injured Nylander who wasn't given much chance to succeed anyway. If he does decline, you deal with it, or don't and work around it. This is a situation in which overpayment is justified. Overpaid grinders and 6/7 defenseman are what needs to be avoided.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland17 View Post
So, who needs a 2nd line center at the TDL.

Talk is Chicago, what other teams could be in the mix for Ribs if we decide to sell and can't sign him for 4+ years.

Maybe trade Ribeiro for Eller and a 2nd/3rd rounder.
-Montreal probably needs another O-talent if they want to compete with Pitt and their recent acquisitions.

Maybe Ribs for Brodziak and a 2nd to Minny. He is a bigger body. 3rd line center, 2nd line fill-in
Montreal is pretty well stocked with centers. Would Ribeiro be an upgrade? Sure, but I don't think they're going to give up serious assets for a rental center. They have more important positions to target.

Anaheim, Vancouver, Toronto, or maybe even Columbus are better targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
Maybe we could trade Ribs for a guy like Cody Eakin... big young 21 year old developing nicely into a power forward... 17P in 31 G this year. Oh wait...
I realize "power forward" doesn't mean the same thing it used to, but if Cody Eakin is a power forward...

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:52 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I realize "power forward" doesn't mean the same thing it used to, but if Cody Eakin is a power forward...
Erp, yer right... for some reason I thought he was bigger, like 6'3'', but he's not. Still he's becoming a decent young player... something pretty much none of McPhee's picks after the first round can say.

My concern with Ribs is that pretty much no one is going to offer any big package for him, no "too good to pass up" deal. He's looking for a lot of term, so anyone giving up a lot to land him will expect to resign him. But he's also stated how he (or at least his wife who apparently calls the shots) didn't like Dallas so much and does like DC. Apparently they are foodies or something.

I am pretty sure this thing won't get resolved until the UFA period this summer. No one will offer a lot for him, GMGM will keep him for the playoff run, because he always thinks we are one run away from a Cup, and this drama is To Be Continued until the summer.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Finally, McPhee is forced to make a difficult decision that will test his merit as a GM.

He sits on his hands and Ribeiro walks after the season he's incompetent. No ifs ands or buts about it.
Except what if he's handcuffed by ownership that's perfectly content to waste whatever assets would come back in a potential trade in order to merely qualify for the playoffs?

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Except what if he's handcuffed by ownership that's perfectly content to waste whatever assets would come back in a potential trade in order to merely qualify for the playoffs?
We're almost certainly not making the playoffs this year and I sincerely doubt we do next year. Dealing with that reality and trying to turn things around for the 14/15 season is going to be a lot less painful than locking the team into long-term tweener status. Even a bean counter and a "marketing professional" can see that.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:04 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
A very real and upsetting possibility.

Of course it's also a GM's responsibility to manage up, which may mean he's still incompetent at an important part of his job.

calicapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
We're almost certainly not making the playoffs this year and I sincerely doubt we do next year. Dealing with that reality and trying to turn things around for the 14/15 season is going to be a lot less painful than locking the team into long-term tweener status. Even a bean counter and a "marketing professional" can see that.
I'm not so sure, particularly if they continue to trend up as the deadline approaches. If that was clearly their assessment then it would be pointless to consider extending Ribeiro to begin with.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post

i dont get this hard idea that mcphee has to either sign ribeiro or trade him. this post pointing out a defenseman just underlines that.

almost every player dealt at the deadline will be a pending ufa. so, the suggestion is that mcphee must acquire a rental defenseman that will likely walk after the season. yet....if he keeps ribeiro for the stretch run and playoffs and lets him walk after the season as the defensemen would, mcphee is an idiot.

sign him or trade him is a false choice and it always has been.

edit: the assertion that the caps "almost certainly" miss the playoffs also false. the caps are two points out of the playoffs with 16 games to play. its ridiculous.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote