HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Mike Ribeiro

View Poll Results: Ribeiro
Sign him 69 55.65%
Trade him 55 44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-25-2013, 05:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i dont get this hard idea that mcphee has to either sign ribeiro or trade him. this post pointing out a defenseman just underlines that.

almost every player dealt at the deadline will be a pending ufa. so, the suggestion is that mcphee must acquire a rental defenseman that will likely walk after the season. yet....if he keeps ribeiro for the stretch run and playoffs and lets him walk after the season as the defensemen would, mcphee is an idiot.

sign him or trade him is a false choice and it always has been.
The choice should be sign him or trade him. With the way the Caps have played this season and the status of the trade market, any competent manager would choose between those two things.

Yes, McPhee would be an idiot to keep him at the deadline for some silly run at the playoffs and let him walk for nothing.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
txpd

lets be clear then. if the capitals are in a position to make the playoffs but unable to get a decent contract with ribeiro, you would rather trade him and miss the playoffs than keep him for a playoff run. is that right?

when was the last time a competent gm traded away his leading scorer at the trade deadline while in a playoff position because he was a pending free agent? can you name one?? i mean if any competent gm would do it, there has to be a track record of those gm's doing just that.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
lets be clear then. if the capitals are in a position to make the playoffs but unable to get a decent contract with ribeiro, you would rather trade him and miss the playoffs than keep him for a playoff run. is that right?

when was the last time a competent gm traded away his leading scorer at the trade deadline while in a playoff position because he was a pending free agent? can you name one?? i mean if any competent gm would do it, there has to be a track record of those gm's doing just that.
Yup, that's right.

When was the last time a GM has been in a similar position?

It's a whole different kettle of fish evaluating a team after 60 games, and evaluating a team after 35.

Until a few days ago, this team was in the bottom 5 for pretty much the entire season, and we're past the halfway point.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:30 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

For the record, I could see them making it without him (although I believe they ultimately will miss despite keeping him when all is said and done).

I don't expect them to go deep. This isn't the 2012 Kings or 2010 Flyers, teams that were top-5 and top-10 possession teams despite their record so you knew they had a chance.

I fully understand why management can't just throw away the revenue generated by a playoff appearance. I fully understand that if their belief is "keep Ribeiro = playoffs, trade Ribeiro = no playoffs" (as it probably was with Semin last season), they can't/won't trade him. I just don't necessarily agree with the premise and so would probably trade him regardless.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Maryland17

Players in Dallas in '11,Ribiero included were not happy they held onto Richards knowing he was going to walk. Ribiero said it set them back and still haven't recovered. Either sign him and acquire a D at Deadline or trade him and try to flip assets for another C with term

Maryland17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:33 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Arnott might have been leading the Devs in scoring when he was traded in 2002. He had 22 goals at the time but I don't feel like looking through the game logs to confirm either way.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:39 PM
SDBondra

I'm gonna side with txpd. No way we will or should trade Ribeiro if we're legitimately in the playoff hunt. If we keep him, don't sign him and miss the playoffs we might regret it, but you don't give up on a season when the playoffs are still reasonable. Trading Ribeiro for futures is the definition of giving up on a season.

SDBondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
I'm gonna side with txpd. No way we will or should trade Ribeiro if we're legitimately in the playoff hunt. If we keep him, don't sign him and miss the playoffs we might regret it, but you don't give up on a season when the playoffs are still reasonable. Trading Ribeiro for futures is the definition of giving up on a season.
Caps record against the Southeast: 9-3-0
Caps record against their division next year: 5-9-1

Even if they sneak into the playoffs this year, it'll only be on the back of being in a turrible division. It'll be a mirage. They're not a good team.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
I don't think it's realistic that this could happen at the deadline, but devil's advocate:

Caps trade Ribeiro at the deadline for a 1st + a good prospect
Caps then flip a lesser prospect + 2nd for Grabovski, with TOR retaining a portion of his contract

Caps end up with a guy who's generally a better ES player than Ribeiro and is maybe an option on the PK, at the expense of losing an established fit on the PP (granted, one that's primed to regress either way). They also gain a longer term, younger solution and net a bit of cap space vs. the current Ribeiro deal.

So, if any of that is possible, you think that costs the Caps a playoff spot?

Now, that's probably too many moving parts to happen at the deadline, I get it. But a boy can dream...

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:56 PM
sycamore

Quote:
What playoff run? This team would be lucky to win a single game in the first round, particularly if they have to face either Boston or Pittsburgh.

I'm not optimistic about the Ribeiro situation, but here's hoping the remaining schedule is tough enough so that the Caps can land one of Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan in the draft.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Another stat to chew on:

Caps' GD against Winnipeg and Florida: +22
Caps' GD against everyone else: -20

Old
03-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I suspect they keep him and try to sign him.

I think they will make the playoffs, lose in the first or at a stretch, the second round, and he walks over disagreement as to term.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:09 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Another stat to chew on:

Caps' GD against Winnipeg and Florida: +22
Caps' GD against everyone else: -20
Would you agree that the additions of Laich, Green and Orlov had made a difference in the teams competitiveness? If so, that stat doesn't mean anywhere near as much. Heck, those additions plus the return of "Ovi That Cares"?

Its as short season, but the team is playing a lot better lately than in Feb, no?

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
Would you agree that the additions of Laich, Green and Orlov had made a difference in the teams competitiveness? If so, that stat doesn't mean anywhere near as much. Heck, those additions plus the return of "Ovi That Cares"?

Its as short season, but the team is playing a lot better lately than in Feb, no?
Sure, they're playing better, and yes, Laich, Green, and Orlov have seemingly helped.

They're still 5-5 in they're last 10, and have still beaten one good team.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:18 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Sure, they're playing better, and yes, Laich, Green, and Orlov have seemingly helped.

They're also 10-6 in their last 16 with a GD of 49-36 (+13), have beaten NJ, Boston, Car twice, Peg 3 times.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
They're also 10-6 in their last 16 with a GD of 49-36 (+13), have beaten NJ, Boston, Car twice, Peg 3 times.
+12 of that GD comes from Winnipeg alone (and +6 from Florida).

And Boston is the only one of those teams with a positive GD.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:28 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
i dont get this hard idea that mcphee has to either sign ribeiro or trade him. this post pointing out a defenseman just underlines that.

almost every player dealt at the deadline will be a pending ufa. so, the suggestion is that mcphee must acquire a rental defenseman that will likely walk after the season. yet....if he keeps ribeiro for the stretch run and playoffs and lets him walk after the season as the defensemen would, mcphee is an idiot.

sign him or trade him is a false choice and it always has been.

edit: the assertion that the caps "almost certainly" miss the playoffs also false. the caps are two points out of the playoffs with 16 games to play. its ridiculous.
They're in it. They must not lose Ribeiro for nothing. It would be an epic asset management fail. Particularly with the trading environment and draft this year.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Halpysback

Quote:

Did they have Laich, Orlov and Green in all of the last 10? Because the stretch with the roster full makes the most sense to project.

At the very least, full roster minus Green.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:39 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
+12 of that GD comes from Winnipeg alone (and +6 from Florida).

And Boston is the only one of those teams with a positive GD.
Teams we've beaten that have more wins than losses:

Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Carolina
Boston
Winnipeg
Carolina
New Jersey
NYR

This team is horrible. We have decent success at beating our peers (other horrible teams) but that's it. Really looking forward to playing in a real division next year as it's going to expose McPhee's fraud.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:50 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

I think this is the first time in six seasons that the Caps have a losing record against any of the other "good" Eastern Conference divisions, so I'm not sure that's a good metric for George McPhee's shortcomings.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:01 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Doubting Thomas didn't think Dale would make the playoffs let alone beat the big bad bruins.

What really has changed on our team?

Ribs, and that was a significant add. The Semin haters will say very significant. Oates may well prove to be a huge upgrade.

The team is trending up, and those that gave the hard sell seem to be thinking an even harder sell is going to make others over look the obvious.

Ovi is back on a 40 G pace yes as a RW and the team is winning games. We were told give it 25 games. Who the hell cares about GD in the first 25 games, or opponents records. The stats mean nothing. Think Sarge +50. Nasty. Meaningless.

Trending. That new buzzword almost seems born in hockey come spring time.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:02 PM
MW6

Bottom line for me is, are the Caps going to be able to add a future 2C via the draft or are they too bad at tanking to end up picking outside of the top-10? If not Ribeiro should be re-signed, playoffs or not! If they are looking at a top-5 pick (which of course is going to be hard to tell now) I'd be okay moving him for futures!

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Yeah a lot of stats being thrown around when it's obvious to see the team is clicking since green and laichs return, arguably flashes of it before hand. Those stats from when the team was adjusting to new positions, new coach, systems.. dont mean squat to me.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Just for funsies and to try and transcend the banal dichotomy of whether or not the 2012-13 Caps are crappy or awesome....

1) What is the max contract in terms of term and comp you would offer McRib before TDL?

Maybe 4-years de-escalating, like 5.5M/5M/4M/2.6M or something like that.

2) What is the minimum trade offer you would see before moving him?

Not sure. Maybe a roster-ready 3C and a mid 1st rounder if the Caps drop the next three or if it looks like Ribiero wants more term than 4yrs or a flat payout. Honestly, I don't really think they should be actively shopping him; I think you get a bad rep and nobody wants to sign with your Org if you flip players like Florida real estate.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I don't think it's realistic that this could happen at the deadline, but devil's advocate:

Caps trade Ribeiro at the deadline for a 1st + a good prospect
Caps then flip a lesser prospect + 2nd for Grabovski, with TOR retaining a portion of his contract

Caps end up with a guy who's generally a better ES player than Ribeiro and is maybe an option on the PK, at the expense of losing an established fit on the PP (granted, one that's primed to regress either way). They also gain a longer term, younger solution and net a bit of cap space vs. the current Ribeiro deal.

So, if any of that is possible, you think that costs the Caps a playoff spot?

Now, that's probably too many moving parts to happen at the deadline, I get it. But a boy can dream...
Bringing in Grabovski is a terrible idea. It's going to kill any chance of the Caps landing the magical Kostitsyn brothers from the glorious country of Belarus, not to be confused with the Russian Federation.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote