HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Mike Ribeiro

View Poll Results: Ribeiro
Sign him 69 55.65%
Trade him 55 44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
And what do you tell Ovie and the rest of the players? "Sorry guys we dont have faith in you this season we are pulling the plug on the season and you can go back to being lazy and sucking"
How about this:

"If you guys don't want us to trade good players next year, play like you actually want to win something. Get a fire lit under your ass or there will be more selling."

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
I don't see where the idea that Alzner is an inferior puck mover is coming from. He's not an offensive-minded guy but he's very reliable at getting the puck out of his own end and making accurate breakout passes. For example, Carlson has 24 turnovers and Alzner has 12. I totally understand that Carlson is more offensive-minded and engages in more risky play to help create chances so this is not a knock on him at all - but Alzner is very responsible with the puck and even though he's defense-first, he's very capable offensively as well.
He's not a guy that's going to make a 40-foot pass out of pressure, for example, or skate it out of a heavy forecheck. He's the guy that's going to make the safe pass or chip it out.

Nothing wrong with that. But they really need guys that can do more than that, as well.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:54 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Good points.

Also worth mentioning (and what I was trying to get at before): Let's say you get a first and a mid/high prospect for Ribeiro. Last year at the draft, a mid-level prospect and a 2nd returned a legit top-6 center (Ribs). What would it return this year? What about the acquired first and a mid-level prospect? Could we get a top-pairing defenseman?
Part of Ribeiro being cheap was the lockout; there was a decent chance the acquiring team got 0 return on any trade.

That said, the point stands. Ribeiro's value is inflated right now. Exploit that, go after someone who's value is depressed for whatever reason, come out ahead if you do it right.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by yay View Post
The Kings scored 2.11 goals per game before trading Jack Johnson and a conditional first (will be 2013 Kings first rounder) for Jeff Carter, and 3.09 gpg after.

Would anyone thinking we can replicate the Kings success be willing to trade our first and John Carlson (best comparison to JJ, albeit younger) in order to increase our goals per game output? And THEN deal with the crapshoot that is the playoffs?
To be fair, Jack Johnson became expendable to the Kings because of the emergence of Voynov. While the Caps have had several young defensemen show they can play in the NHL this season, none of them have shown to be on par with Voynov yet. Hopefully Orlov can do that, but he's going to be on the left side in Oates' system, and thus doesn't impact Carlson's availability as much. It would take Kundratek getting healthy and stepping up his defensive game significantly. Oleksy, given his age, shouldn't push Carlson off the roster at any point.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:57 PM
yay

Quote:
And what do you tell Ovie and the rest of the players? "Sorry guys we dont have faith in you this season we are pulling the plug on the season and you can go back to being lazy and sucking"
If that's what they respond to, sure - only someone inside that locker room/organization knows what are the best motivators.

How about, "we just don't think this is the year, we're gonna use the cap space and extra picks/prospects to load up over the summer and give you a full season under the system to really come out firing."

Or, "You're all playing for your jobs."

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:57 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Good points.

Also worth mentioning (and what I was trying to get at before): Let's say you get a first and a mid/high prospect for Ribeiro. Last year at the draft, a mid-level prospect and a 2nd returned a legit top-6 center (Ribs). What would it return this year? What about the acquired first and a mid-level prospect? Could we get a top-pairing defenseman?
I just don't want GMGM to do what I think he'll do -- nothing. I also don't want him to sign him to a Semin-esque contract, or any where near it. I really enjoy Ribeiro's game and style of play and would like to see him back at the right price, but I'll be able to get over it if GMGM can parlay it into real assets. I, however, have little to no faith his ability to do that; do you?

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
SDBondra

Quote:
He's not a guy that's going to make a 40-foot pass out of pressure, for example, or skate it out of a heavy forecheck. He's the guy that's going to make the safe pass or chip it out.

Nothing wrong with that. But they really need guys that can do more than that, as well.
Agreed they definitely need both - my impression is that Alzner IS capable of making those plays and if they asked him to open his game up, he could. He's just trained to play more conservatively and it works best considering he's usually paired with Green or Carlson who have the green light.

SDBondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:59 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
I just don't want GMGM to do what I think he'll do -- nothing. I also don't want him to sign him to a Semin-esque contract, or any where near it. I really enjoy Ribeiro's game and style of play and would like to see him back at the right price, but I'll be able to get over it if GMGM can parlay it into real assets. I, however, have little to no faith his ability to do that; do you?
GMGM's a good trader. If he wanted to trade Ribeiro, he'd get a good return.

But at this point he's not going to want to, and that's the frustrating part.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:05 PM
BobRouse

Perhaps we are all jumping the gun here anyhow...

Afterall there are still 3 games left before the TDL. Alot can happen in those 3 games. We win them all and the tune of some will change. We lose them all and the tune of others will change.

These 3 games will reveal more about the correct direction the team should take obviously.

If we win all 3 and go into it riding a 6 game win streak and look good while doing it then I doubt many would want Ribs traded. The opposite is true. We lose all 3 then I'm all on board with trading him assuming we are well out of position.

Lets see how we do starting tonight

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Afterall there are still 3 games left before the TDL. Alot can happen in those 3 games. We win them all and the tune of some will change. We lose them all and the tune of others will change.

These 3 games will reveal more about the correct direction the team should take obviously.

If we win all 3 and go into it riding a 6 game win streak and look good while doing it then I doubt many would want Ribs traded. The opposite is true. We lose all 3 then I'm all on board with trading him assuming we are well out of position.

This is a good way to look at it.

But personally I feel like regardless of how we do the next 3 games, GMGM is going to stand pat and do nothing.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

But personally I feel like regardless of how we do the next 3 games, GMGM is going to stand pat and do nothing.
I think if they win the next 3, GMGM will go into "buy" mode, which of course will result in nothing because he doesn't want to pay the asking price.

Fire George

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
How about this:

"If you guys don't want us to trade good players next year, play like you actually want to win something. Get a fire lit under your ass or there will be more selling."
That makes NO SENSE....you're totally disregarding the new coach, 1 week camp, new system, injuries, etc.

Washington isn't exactly Montreal when it comes to being a hockey Mecca.....threatening to trade players probably isn't much of a threat considering the way McPhee has dealt with ex Caps on their way out.

You don't hear a lot of guys talking about how wonderful their experience with the Caps was, do you?

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:

This

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

Wow I sure hope not. If we lose these 3 then most likely we will look bad doing so since none of these teams are world beaters.

We'd be pretty much out of it by then and I would hope GMGM moves him. But I do get the dread sense you maybe right about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I think if they win the next 3, GMGM will go into "buy" mode, which of course will result in nothing because he doesn't want to pay the asking price.

Fire George
Well I wouldn't blame him if the asking price is Kuznetsov/Forsberg/Wilson/Grubauer. I think this years market is way over inflated since lots of teams are still in the hunt. I think standing pat would be the right choice.

But again..if we lose out there is no way GMGM should be forgiven if he holds onto Ribs and doesn't resign him.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Well I wouldn't blame him if the asking price is Kuznetsov/Forsberg/Wilson/Grubauer. I think this years market is way over inflated since lots of teams are still in the hunt. I think standing pat would be the right choice.

But again..if we lose out there is no way GMGM should be forgiven if he holds onto Ribs and doesn't resign him.
Oh sorry, my two points were not related

Old
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
I am completely torn on Ribs while I love what he's doing this year I don't at all want to lose him in the offseason for nothing which is exactly what I think will happen if we don't move him. The guy wants his final contract this offseason and I'm not so sure we should/want to sign him for 5+ Mill for 5 years or more. Add in that every playoff team could probably use him makes me want to trade him.

But then take into account that he's leading our team in scoring playing great on our PP and the fact that we have no one at all to fill his hole if he was moved and that we've been looking for him for years.

GMGM definitely has his work cut out for him

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates

Values of players always seem high. How often has there been a trade deadline or FA period where people say "wow, nothing but bargains out there"?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:29 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
That makes NO SENSE....you're totally disregarding the new coach, 1 week camp, new system, injuries, etc.

Washington isn't exactly Montreal when it comes to being a hockey Mecca.....threatening to trade players probably isn't much of a threat considering the way McPhee has dealt with ex Caps on their way out.

You don't hear a lot of guys talking about how wonderful their experience with the Caps was, do you?
So now we're concerned about the sensitive wittle players' feelings? Screw that. The "country club" atmosphere has been lamented hear for years, and now we want to amplify it. If the players can't take the heat like that, they shouldn't be in the business.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Win the next 4 or it doesn't matter. I'm all for signing Ribiero, but if he wants too much or wants to test the market, I value the longterm health of the franchise over a punchers chance at winning a round or two.

That said, if they're in contention, he won't be moved and we'll probably have wasted him AND the assets it cost to acquire him.

Hopefully the Caps and Ribeiro can come to a reasonable extension, but I'll I believe it when I see it. Being the top UFA forward is the best position he'll ever be in and it's his last shot at his retirement deal.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Values of players always seem high. How often has there been a trade deadline or FA period where people say "wow, nothing but bargains out there"?
Not since the '04 lockout.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Govechkin

What would you guys be happy with if we resign him?

4 years 6?
5 years 5?

I personally would like 4 at 5.5, that's something I could live with. I don't seriously think we could swindle a deal like that.

What would you take in a trade? Two firsts? First and a high prospect?

We haven't even seen a totally healthy PP with our non-Ribero guys, so who's to say our extra man doesn't replace his numbers if you think they will ultimately regress to the mean. Also, and I really don't know so i'm kinda asking, is Ribero the best player to run Oates' second line in three years? If we are gonna tie up close to 6 a year, he better be a great fit with MoJo and Kuz and Forsberg once/if they get here in a season or three.

Worst case scenario, he walks after the season, that would be a total disaster and reasonable grounds for firing GMGM. My fear is that he signs a five year 32 deal and have that on our books year after year. Yeesh.

Govechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:28 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govechkin View Post
What would you guys be happy with if we resign him?

4 years 6?
5 years 5?

I personally would like 4 at 5.5, that's something I could live with. I don't seriously think we could swindle a deal like that.

What would you take in a trade? Two firsts? First and a high prospect?

We haven't even seen a totally healthy PP with our non-Ribero guys, so who's to say our extra man doesn't replace his numbers if you think they will ultimately regress to the mean. Also, and I really don't know so i'm kinda asking, is Ribero the best player to run Oates' second line in three years? If we are gonna tie up close to 6 a year, he better be a great fit with MoJo and Kuz and Forsberg once/if they get here in a season or three.

Worst case scenario, he walks after the season, that would be a total disaster and reasonable grounds for firing GMGM. My fear is that he signs a five year 32 deal and have that on our books year after year. Yeesh.
Re: the PP, Perreault seems to think that he's had a major impact, according to Whyno's piece in the Times.

I'd do 4x6. Keeps him under Backstrom's price, gives him his long-term security, and essentially forces a Schultz buyout.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:38 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

A Schultz buy-out would be sweet. A trade would be better, but I'll take a buy-out.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

So what if we trade Ribs for futures, miss the playoffs by 2 points and use the 1st rounders and end up drafting Anton Gustafsson and Joe Finley 2.0

Really want to give up on the season and a playoff run for GMGMs mid round drafting?

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
So what if we trade Ribs for futures, miss the playoffs by 2 points and use the 1st rounders and end up drafting Anton Gustafsson and Joe Finley 2.0

Really want to give up on the season and a playoff run for GMGMs mid round drafting?
Or we could trade Ribs for futures, miss the playoffs by 2 points and use the first rounders and end up drafting Alexander Semin and John Carlson 2.0.