HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Mike Ribeiro

View Poll Results: Ribeiro
Sign him 69 55.65%
Trade him 55 44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Bananas

vCash: 504
Even though I voted "trade" it's not like I'll be upset at all if we sign him, barring an albatross contract of course.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:48 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Seriously. Some of you guys make it sound like it was so easy for us to land another legit center. Took us years. We get rid of him and we're right where we left.
It shouldn't actually be that hard to find someone to replace what Ribeiro will likely give you going forward. A guy that is borderline neutral at ES. A guy that fits well on the PP but who's production will drop once sh%s regress as they inevitably will.

Ribeiro's a smart player, but he's not nearly as good as his production. Some team is going to get fooled into paying him too much.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
KEYoung32

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
This team really sucks without Ribeiro.

They finally have a second center. Pay him and move some other **** out.
This.

KEYoung32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:54 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
No thank you on Ribs. He is too old and we will not get a home town discount. GMGM will get robbed. As a Caps fan this will play out 2 ways that do not benefit the Caps. We will hold on to Ribs past the trade deadline, make the playoffs and lose in round one or two or hold on to Ribs after the deadline and not make the playoff and he will walk for free.

We made this mistake with Green, we hold on to the guys for too long and his value dumps. Ribs is at an all time high, sell now. We are not going to the SC this year.
Too old? Meanwhile he is having his best season ever. He is a finesse player, not speed. He's younger than Pavel Datsyuk. Let me guess, you wouldn't want him either?

We should get rid of him then trade more young prospects next year for a 2C. Probably Forsberg + 2nd for a 2C. Good idea?

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

this wouldnt be a question if he wasnt UFA. Get him signed already

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Dr John Carlson
Light is all over us

vCash: 50
If Brendan Morrow can fetch what is apparently going to Dallas, a Ribeiro trade sure sounds tempting...

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Ribeiro's departure will torpedo the next season. Our core is not getting any younger.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Vladiator16*

I like watching him play, i hope we find a way to keep him, business be damned.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Capsman

The thing about Ribeiro is that his game is so cerebral and really doesn't require a lot of speed, power, or quickness, things that you lose with age. I can see him playing pretty well into his late 30's. He's kind of like a better version of "Circles"

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:24 AM
Bananas

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
The thing about Ribeiro is that his game is so cerebral and really doesn't require a lot of speed, power, or quickness, things that you lose with age. I can see him playing pretty well into his late 30's. He's kind of like a much, much better version of "Circles" who actually still cared about winning when he got here
Fixed

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:38 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

http://p.washingtontimes.com/blog/ca...sign-capitals/ Now we know what he wants. I'd give him 6.5+5.5+4.5+3.5=20 million for 4 years for 5 million cap hit, but wouldn't go much farther considering this deal will take him to the 35+ territory which is usually when the dropoff is huge. If he doesn't accept it, trade him for a C prospect or 1st rounder+ with no regrets and make the postseason without him.

Last edited by fedfed: 03-25-2013 at 03:10 AM.
fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Mickstix

Least it sounds like he really "wants" to stay.. I dont see how McPhee could screw this one up? The mans worth 6x3, but even 6x4 or 5x5 would work imo.. That's peanuts for a "real" 1-2c in todays market..

And judging by the other UFA Centers this year, he leads the pack and is 3-5 years YOUNGER than the next 3 guys behind him..

It'd be awesome to bring in a stud 1-2C whose built like a brick **** house, passes and scores like the wind, and is 26 years old, but lets be real here.. We have McPhee doing the shopping.. Ribs "fits", he's already here, he produces, we've been w/o a 2C for YEARS..

Just sign the man, so we can start our search for a real blueline beast!!

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:44 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
Least it sounds like he really "wants" to stay.. I dont see how McPhee could screw this one up? The mans worth 6x3, but even 6x4 or 5x5 would work imo.. That's peanuts for a "real" 1-2c in todays market..

And judging by the other UFA Centers this year, he leads the pack and is 3-5 years YOUNGER than the next 3 guys behind him..

It'd be awesome to bring in a stud 1-2C whose built like a brick **** house, passes and scores like the wind, and is 26 years old, but lets be real here.. We have McPhee doing the shopping.. Ribs "fits", he's already here, he produces, we've been w/o a 2C for YEARS..

Just sign the man, so we can start our search for a real blueline beast!!
Weiss? Filppula?

We've been looking for a 2C for years and Ribs is that, it's true. No one argues. But what the 're-sign' gang fails to understand in my opinion is that it doesn't mean he will be that guy for next five years. Actually, all signs point to the fact that his production is rather a fluke and it will soon come to mathematical average. And combined with the age, it makes for a deadly combination. So instead of not having a second-line center you offer not having a second line center and having a 6M+ guy on the payroll. That screams trouble.

Based on what he has done to this point, he deserves 6M+, but if somebody ever has a chance to see a glimpse of the future, it doesn't look like it holds more of the same.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:59 AM
fsnoles98

He is doing great, BUT we continue to over spend on much older players. We have very little on the cup boards outside of Flip, Kuz and Wilson up front. There is absolutely nothing in Hershey. We are not winning the cup this year or next. We put together a nice little streak, but this team is nothing outside of ordinary. We sat on Green too long and no we have a house of glass, Schultz continues to be a pylon and now Ribs catch fetch of something for the future and people want to keep him. I said trade at the highest value.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:14 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Term by itself isn't particularly important. I'd be fine with a 5-year deal if the money is low.

But if he wants, say, $6.5M per over those five years, I'd have a tough time offering it.

Offer him 6, 6, 5, 4, 3 and see if he bites.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Lawrencejame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Weiss? Filppula?

We've been looking for a 2C for years and Ribs is that, it's true. No one argues. But what the 're-sign' gang fails to understand in my opinion is that it doesn't mean he will be that guy for next five years. Actually, all signs point to the fact that his production is rather a fluke and it will soon come to mathematical average. And combined with the age, it makes for a deadly combination. So instead of not having a second-line center you offer not having a second line center and having a 6M+ guy on the payroll. That screams trouble.

Based on what he has done to this point, he deserves 6M+, but if somebody ever has a chance to see a glimpse of the future, it doesn't look like it holds more of the same.
You make good points and I agree that its very easy to be consumed with how hes doing now (and then offer him a deal based on that performance). Regardless of that, I really hope they can find a way to sign him. Hes been such a positive player here, the players love him, hes leading in points, he is one of the reasons are pp is #1. Its really hard to overlook all hes done this season. If I were gmgm, I'd take a shot on it and offer him what hes surely to get on the open market.

Lawrencejame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:25 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Weiss? Filppula?

I've been in the 'sell' crowd, as I don't think he'll accept a team-friendly deal, but it's dangerous to count on getting a UFA to replace him.

While I'd probably prefer Weiss to Ribeiro on a long-term deal, considering his age, better all-around game, and likelihood of taking a cheaper contract, he'll be highly coveted and the race to sign him will be very competitive. I think if you trade Ribeiro, you at least have to have the framework in place for an off-season trade for a 2C.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:27 AM
fsnoles98

Here's what I like, we lose everyone wants to trade Ribs, now were winning everyone beside myself want to keep him. Look long term, he is no spring chicken and we have no one in Hershey. Play for tomorrow, not today. THIS TEAM IS NOT WINNING THE CUP THIS YEAR, still too many holes and inconsistent.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Acallabeth
Curses & prophecies

Ribeiro sounds pretty mature for me.
Also, he wants to stay and he'll be fine with a 4-5 year deal. I think if we repeat his 5M, he should be fine and we too.
We have 2 more top6 fowards to come, they can very well benefit from playing with such a skilled veteran.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:41 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
The risk with George re-inking Ribs is indeed his age. There are other weaknesses to his game but we can overlook them if he is our leading point getter.

George should have targeted him or someone of his ilk, oh about 3 or 4 ago when it was obvious we were suddenly cup contenders. He stuck to the plan which was cheap 2C's and see if one of Flash Laich MJ MP etc were up to it. George is sweating, don't be fooled by his calm soft tone.

He is lucky, Ribs is willing to take a discount. People scoff at my ballpark number to keep everyone happy 4x5NTC but its a tough number to predict and I did not attempt to nail it.

The cap is going down, but more importantly, Ribs wants to be here. No one here knows financially exactly what that means. There are a lot worse places to play. Can all the cities he would be interested in playing in, afford him?

Regardless, we should not significantly overpay.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-25-2013 at 07:47 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Ribeiro sounds pretty mature for me.
Also, he wants to stay and he'll be fine with a 4-5 year deal. I think if we repeat his 5M, he should be fine and we too.
We have 2 more top6 fowards to come, they can very well benefit from playing with such a skilled veteran.

Sounds about right.

I think Laich and Brouwer are both younger and mature enough to offset Rib's weaknesses and to keep him effective 2C.

Another part of the deal - 1C depth in case of NB's injury.

That will be hard to replace in UFA/trade and with all teams signing their UFA/RFA to high dollars I can't see how we are losing the fight against other teams keeping Ribs for market price.

He is a useful player. Pay the man. Just ****ing sign.

Then deal with consequences.

?-NB-AO
BL-MR-TB

Add Forsberg/Kuznetsov and you maybe even talk about top-6 depth.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:07 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Sounds about right.

I think Laich and Brouwer are both younger and mature enough to offset Rib's weaknesses and to keep him effective 2C.

Another part of the deal - 1C depth in case of NB's injury.

That will be hard to replace in UFA/trade and with all teams signing their UFA/RFA to high dollars I can't see how we are losing the fight against other teams keeping Ribs for market price.

He is a useful player. Pay the man. Just ****ing sign.

Then deal with consequences.

?-NB-AO
BL-MR-TB

Add Forsberg/Kuznetsov and you maybe even talk about top-6 depth.
That's a nice way to put yourself into salary cap hell while building a mediocre team. See Rangers, New York.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:14 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
That's a nice way to put yourself into salary cap hell while building a mediocre team. See Rangers, New York.
Rangers should make the postseason year in and year out. Better comparison is the Leaf's last decade.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Rangers should make the postseason year in and year out. Better comparison is the Leaf's last decade.
True enough. Tampa's been another semi-recent example.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Pump your breaks there. From time to time we've all said some negative things about McPhee, but I don't ever recall anyone comparing him to Glen Sather. I give you Wade Redden, Chris Drury, Scott Gomez etc.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote