HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2013, 10:41 PM
  #326
Crabby Williams
Registered User
 
Crabby Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Maybe you should attempt to comprehend what was typed before responding; hankdank seemed to understand what I typed pretty easily.
I understood, and it wasn't relevant. I'm comparing two specific players, overall age of the team has nothing to do with it. I realize you can't bring all old guys and have no youth, but again, there will be plenty of youth with or without Eberle.

Crabby Williams is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 10:44 PM
  #327
Crabby Williams
Registered User
 
Crabby Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post



So you don't view age as a factor when comparing the validity of bringing a player who has yet to his prime vs. a player who past it 5 seasons ago?
Why bring a player who hasn't hit his prime, over a player who is clearly still among the best in the league? Saying MSL passed his prime five years ago is laughable considering he won the Art Ross last year and was nominated for the Hart in 2011.

Crabby Williams is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 10:56 PM
  #328
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
I know what you are saying. And of course this is always just our personal opinions. I have always liked MSL because he has been an underdog for most of his career.

And Stamkos was close to making it. His age is what kept him back. And it would suck but there is also a possibility that neither player makes the team.

If they lean towards adding size like 2010, Stewart, Iginla and Brown etc..

Could all make the team over these 2 smaller forwards.

And yes. If Hall is healthy he will likely make the team as it isn't as strong on the LW.
There is 0 chance that Stamkos is not on this team. 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
So you don't view age as a factor when comparing the validity of bringing a player who has yet to his prime vs. a player who past it 5 seasons ago?
Well, neither is in their prime then. I don't care how good a player will be in 3 years. All I need is the best guy for a two-week tournament. And as has been mentioned, saying St.Louis passed his prime 5 seasons ago is silly.

Bob Barker is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:06 PM
  #329
DyerMaker66*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
Why bring a player who hasn't hit his prime, over a player who is clearly still among the best in the league? Saying MSL passed his prime five years ago is laughable considering he won the Art Ross last year and was nominated for the Hart in 2011.
Because the tournament is in a year from now and Eberle is clearly developing into an elite player.

He won the Art Ross this year; last year Malkin won it.

Considering his point production peaked in 2006-07 (and then took a 20 point nose-dive- hovering there for 2 seasons) it isn't laughable at all.

He's among the best in the league in a shortened season: Eberle played nearly twice as many games as MSL and yet you wonder how MSL was able to score more points than him this year?

DyerMaker66* is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:09 PM
  #330
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 29,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
So you don't view age as a factor when comparing the validity of bringing a player who has yet to his prime vs. a player who past it 5 seasons ago?
So if St. Louis's prime was 5 years ago, and he put up 407 points in the following 371 games, how is that a knock against him?

Blueline Bomber is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:16 PM
  #331
Crabby Williams
Registered User
 
Crabby Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Because the tournament is in a year from now and Eberle is clearly developing into an elite player.

He won the Art Ross this year; last year Malkin won it.

Considering his point production peaked in 2006-07 (and then took a 20 point nose-dive- hovering there for 2 seasons) it isn't laughable at all.

He's among the best in the league in a shortened season: Eberle played nearly twice as many games as MSL and yet you wonder how MSL was able to score more points than him this year?
Guess who is an elite player, right now. St. Louis. I also believe Eberle will be elite some day, but right now, there is a clear gap between the two.

Eberle played twice as many games? Good for him. Didn't seem to bother Hall or Duchene. That's a poor excuse for a bad year from him.

Anyways, arguing about players' primes is pointless, considering every player's prime is different.

Crabby Williams is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:45 PM
  #332
Method Boy
Registered User
 
Method Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 1071
Stamkos Crosby Iginla
Tavares Toews E.Staal
Eberle Getslaf Perry
Nash Giroux Duchene

Letang Weber
Pietrangelo Seabrook
M. Staal Doughty
KEith

Price
Fleury
Luongo

Method Boy is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:50 PM
  #333
DyerMaker66*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
So if St. Louis's prime was 5 years ago, and he put up 407 points in the following 371 games, how is that a knock against him?
Because clearly MSL is going to be in the running for the Art Ross next year.

DyerMaker66* is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 11:53 PM
  #334
Crabby Williams
Registered User
 
Crabby Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Because clearly MSL is going to be in the running for the Art Ross next year.
Nah, the 2013 Art Ross winner won't possibly have a chance at being in the running for the 2014 Art Ross.

Crabby Williams is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 12:09 AM
  #335
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Because the tournament is in a year from now and Eberle is clearly developing into an elite player.

He won the Art Ross this year; last year Malkin won it.

Considering his point production peaked in 2006-07 (and then took a 20 point nose-dive- hovering there for 2 seasons) it isn't laughable at all.

He's among the best in the league in a shortened season: Eberle played nearly twice as many games as MSL and yet you wonder how MSL was able to score more points than him this year?
Did a similar thing not happen to Eberle this year?

JetsHomer is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 12:46 AM
  #336
DyerMaker66*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
There is 0 chance that Stamkos is not on this team. 0.



Well, neither is in their prime then. I don't care how good a player will be in 3 years. All I need is the best guy for a two-week tournament. And as has been mentioned, saying St.Louis passed his prime 5 seasons ago is silly.
His point totals say otherwise.

DyerMaker66* is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 12:50 AM
  #337
DyerMaker66*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Did a similar thing not happen to Eberle this year?
You mean how Ebs had 88 points in 82 games played?

Yeah, I know when comparing players, half a season is a better representation of a player's abilities than the most recent full season.

DyerMaker66* is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 12:53 AM
  #338
DyerMaker66*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
Nah, the 2013 Art Ross winner won't possibly have a chance at being in the running for the 2014 Art Ross.
I really don't know how many times I have to point this out before you understand it:

Let's see him do it over an 82 game season. I mean, the last 82 game season that was played he didn't fare too well.

DyerMaker66* is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 12:56 AM
  #339
DyerMaker66*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
Stamkos Crosby Iginla
Tavares Toews E.Staal
Eberle Getslaf Perry
Nash Giroux Duchene

Letang Weber
Pietrangelo Seabrook
M. Staal Doughty
KEith

Price
Fleury
Luongo
Switch Giroux and Staal and I can live with it. Keith should be in before Seabrook, though.

DyerMaker66* is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 01:01 AM
  #340
DyerMaker66*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post

Eberle played twice as many games? Good for him. Didn't seem to bother Hall or Duchene. That's a poor excuse for a bad year from him.
And they both played 1/10 of a season less than him.

DyerMaker66* is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 01:31 AM
  #341
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 12,440
vCash: 500
Keeping in mind the big Olympic sized ice, here's my team

St. Louis (A)/Crosby (C)/Stamkos
Tavares/Duchene/Hall
E.Staal/Getzlaf/Perry
Couture/Toews (A)/Giroux
M.Richards

Keith/Weber (A)
Doughty/Subban
Phaneuf/Pietrangelo

Ward
Price
Reimer

dahrougem2 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 01:36 AM
  #342
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
Stamkos Crosby Iginla
Tavares Toews E.Staal
Eberle Getslaf Perry
Nash Giroux Duchene

Letang Weber
Pietrangelo Seabrook
M. Staal Doughty
KEith


Price
Fleury
Luongo
No Subban? He was born for this kind of stuff, really.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 01:41 AM
  #343
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leaving HF
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
No Subban? He was born for this kind of stuff, really.
He is charismatic.

OttawaRoughRiderFan* is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 01:43 AM
  #344
22FUTON9
Registered User
 
22FUTON9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
what are the chances of green making it? I think he's the best PP man canada currently has. and watching the playoffs he's playing pretty good defense as well.

22FUTON9 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 01:51 AM
  #345
Aceonfire*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
There is 0 chance that Stamkos is not on this team. 0.



Well, neither is in their prime then. I don't care how good a player will be in 3 years. All I need is the best guy for a two-week tournament. And as has been mentioned, saying St.Louis passed his prime 5 seasons ago is silly.
What? Everybody agrees that Stamkos will be on the team. I was referring to Eberle and MSL...

Aceonfire* is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 04:23 AM
  #346
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,934
vCash: 500
I am really hoping that Devan Dubnyk or Mike Smith have an outstanding tournament and make their way onto the Olympic team. I really believe that Dubnyk has a great chance. Smith has put up outstanding numbers but he plays on a defensive team.

We need one of these two guys to stand out because our goaltending may be the weakest on the "big six" teams.

P.S- I can't believe some people have Cam Ward on the team. Not only is he past his prime he was subpar in last year's tournament.

Rob is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 06:55 AM
  #347
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
You mean how Ebs had 88 points in 82 games played?

Yeah, I know when comparing players, half a season is a better representation of a player's abilities than the most recent full season.
It's laughable that you have to bring up AHL stats into this, MSL would've scored 70 points in the same 34 AHL games.

Who cares if he passed his prime 5 years ago, he's still the better player today than Eberle is even as a 37 year old cripple. I guess that just says how good his prime was.
As for Art Ross contention, I'd say the guy with 6,2,1 placements in league scoring over the past 4 years has a significantly better chance then the guy who placed 41st this year.


Last edited by Sky04: 05-05-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Sky04 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 07:57 AM
  #348
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
Must be Hockey's Future, where younger=better.

2012-13: 1st in points
2011-12: 18th in points (9th among Canadians)
2010-11: 2nd in points (2nd among Canadians)
2009-10: 6th in points (3rd among Canadians)
2008-09: 16th in points (8th among Canadians)

Yes. Washed up and past his prime. His prime was 5 years ago! Let's take a much better player who isn't so washed up and hasn't hit his prime yet.

Also, there's NO chance St. Louis will be among the top scorers next season. Other than this year, he hasn't even been close since... 2011! What a bum.

Bob Barker is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 08:15 AM
  #349
Tillman40
Bo Knows Bo
 
Tillman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
I will have a go at this...

E. Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Giroux - Tavares - Toews
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Bergeron - J. Staal - M. Richards

St. Louis - Spezza

Weber - Doughty
Pieterangelo - Subban
Keith - Girardi

M. Staal

Price
Luongo
Fleury

Not sure why I am against St. Louis making the team as a regular and not sitting in the press box but I have expected his play to drop off dramatically the past few years and he proves me wrong again and again. I guess I am biased against players I am taller than


Last edited by Tillman40: 05-05-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Tillman40 is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 10:09 AM
  #350
DyerMaker66*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
It's laughable that you have to bring up AHL stats into this, MSL would've scored 70 points in the same 34 AHL games.
And it's laughable to assume that he will sustain such a pace over the next year, since he has clearly demonstrated that he can't.

Quote:
Who cares if he passed his prime 5 years ago, he's still the better player today than Eberle is even as a 37 year old cripple. I guess that just says how good his prime was.
As for Art Ross contention, I'd say the guy with 6,2,1 placements in league scoring over the past 4 years has a significantly better chance then the guy who placed 41st this year.
And I'd say the guy who outscored him in the most recent full season and is still developing has a significantly better chance.

DyerMaker66* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.