HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 10:07 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

vCash: 500
I think Couture could easily make this team. He could play LW on the 3rd line:

L. Couture - J. Toews - R. Nash

Old
05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
I think Couture could easily make this team. He could play LW on the 3rd line:

L. Couture - J. Toews - R. Nash
He's been impressive down the stretch and so far in the playoffs, to be sure (though his two goals last night were softies that Schneider definitely should have had). The one thing that may be holding him back is lack of international experience / experience playing on the larger ice surface.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:22 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Scratch out Thornton and add Duchene. No way Thornton makes it to Sochi, especially on the big ice. He was terrible in the 2006 Olympics on the big ice, did not play well in Vancouver in 2010, and his best days are behind him.
Disagree. Thornton has a chance to make team Canada. I don't care about the 2006 olympics, it's been 7 years. The 2010 olympics wasn't that bad for him, and if he is a big factor for Sharks when winning the Stanley Cup.... who knows. But the true is, I would take Getzlaf over Thornton now, absolutely.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:32 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
He needs to be there because he's a natural winger that has 102 goals in his last 206 NHL games and he always steps up his game when it matters. He's one of the guys who is willing to go to the dirty areas to score goals and he's great in front of the net on the PP.
While I agree with your 2nd sentence, and you may be right in him eventually finding a spot on the Sochi team, in my view unless he steps up during these playoffs and gets off to a better start this year, he'd be a lazy "legacy" pick similar to Ryan Smyth and Shane Doan in 2006, neither of whom had any business being on an Olympic roster, playing on the larger ice surface. Perry has certainly been mediocre the last two years, by his standards (and note - I'm not expecting him to return to Art Ross / Hart Trophy form here - 40 G / 80 P would suffice). Combine that with his poor skating, penchant for taking undisciplined penalties, his lack of versatility (ie, doesn't kill penalties and not great defensively), and the fact that there a bunch of young, hungry, skilled forward coming up through the ranks (some of whom are natural wingers too), and my preference at this point is for him to not be on the team. If he does make the team, I'd like it to only be in a limited, PP-type role, though since watching Team Canada play since the mid-'80s we typically don't go down this route at any level.

In terms of crashing the net, yeah, Perry is good at that, but so are Nash, Staal, Hall, and a bunch of others. Crosby and Stamkos aren't afraid of getting their hands dirty to score goals either. That element to his game may get him onto the team, but again, should his performance not improve between now and December '13 I think that would be lazy decision making by Hockey Canada.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:36 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Disagree. Thornton has a chance to make team Canada. I don't care about the 2006 olympics, it's been 7 years. The 2010 olympics wasn't that bad for him, and if he is a big factor for Sharks when winning the Stanley Cup.... who knows. But the true is, I would take Getzlaf over Thornton now, absolutely.
Big Joe has rounded out his game these last few years to a point where he's significantly above average defensively (he's great on faceoffs too), but my feeling is that we'll go in a different direction in 2014. Getzlaf, when playing up to his potential (like he did for much of this past season), is better than Thornton. Crosby, Stamkos/Giroux, and Toews are too. So are Eric Staal and Bergeron. Thornton is not the type of player you can really move to the wing, so its hard to see a spot for him at this point.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Team Canada needs to start the man who started less than 50% of the season.
It worked in 1991

Old
05-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Big Joe has rounded out his game these last few years to a point where he's significantly above average defensively (he's great on faceoffs too), but my feeling is that we'll go in a different direction in 2014. Getzlaf, when playing up to his potential (like he did for much of this past season), is better than Thornton. Crosby, Stamkos/Giroux, and Toews are too. So are Eric Staal and Bergeron. Thornton is not the type of player you can really move to the wing, so its hard to see a spot for him at this point.
Well said. Thornton has to be a C, and i rather have Getzlaf over him right now. There is no spot on Thornton on this team as a C. Big ice matters. Thornton struggled on the big ice in 2006 and did not look good at all. As a 13th forward, i rather have Duchene anyways, given his speed. Canada needs to build a team with a focus on the big ice, and Thornton is not the answer for 2014. He will be probably invited to the camp though.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:05 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
It worked in 1991
It was a simpler time. It was a better time.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:49 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
You're right.
He might be a 14th forward IMO, but as you said, I would prefer Getzlaf over him too. And for the possible 14th spot, a younger guy such as Seguin or Couture, Duchene. Will see.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
stamkos crosby stlouis
staal kadri tavares
toews bergeron gagner
nash getzlaf perry
ladd/duchene

weber keith
doughty staal
franson letang
girardi

fleury
price
luongo

am I a london fanboy? yeah, maybe I am. But to me chemistry is really important, and these guys have tremendous chemistry together. I think Kadri's ready to get his chance, as is gagner.
As much as I love Kadri, no way as of today anyway, that he gets the nod above some of the other guys

Old
05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Nash-Crosby-Giroux
Tavares-Stamkos-St. Louis
Toews-Bergeron-Seguin
Hall-Getzlaf-Perry
E.Staal

Keith-Weber
Doughty-Letang
Campbell-Pietrangelo
Subban

Luongo
Price
Holtby

05-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Ichbinian

About Getzlaf and Thornton, there's no discussion to bed had. Thornton's not on the team. He's big and slow.

However, Getzlaf is also not too fast. Sometimes he's deceptively quick, but in general I'd like to see a faster centre make the team. Canada is really deep down the middle so not having Getzlaf won't be too much of a loss I don't think.

Whenever I watch Getzlaf play he looks like a slow dog out there on the ice.

Changing gears...the more I watch Subban, the more I've noticed he's improved. I'd put him on my team. Too bad he's not a left handed shot.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:08 PM
amit916

I hope scouts/Team Canada reps were watching Duchene this entire year along with the Worlds... he definitely deserves consideration.

Whether he can make it over other forwards, that's debateable, but it would be a disservice to not even include in invitation to camp.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Crabby Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
I hope scouts/Team Canada reps were watching Duchene this entire year along with the Worlds... he definitely deserves consideration.

Whether he can make it over other forwards, that's debateable, but it would be a disservice to not even include in invitation to camp.
Agreed, he's really showing Yzerman something with his play at the Worlds right now. Hopefully he keeps it up.

I can certainly see him compete with Hall, Seguin, and Eberle for a bottom 6 spot (with spot duty in the top 6).

Old
05-07-2013, 03:46 PM
duul

vCash: 50
Duchene is really impressing me at the WC right now. The entire line of Hall-Duchene-Eberle is actually looking very good.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:10 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
I hope we don't see Perry on the 2014 roster. So many better candidates IMO.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Xentrillix

E.Staal-Crosby-Stamkos
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Tavares-Getzlaf-Eberle
Perry-Bergeron-Giroux
Duchene

Keith-Weber
Staal-Doughty
Del Zotto-Petriangelo
Letang

Luongo
Price
Fleury

Mix and match as you will

Old
05-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Taylor Hall >>> Jordan Eberle

Old
05-07-2013, 04:39 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xentrillix View Post
E.Staal-Crosby-Stamkos
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Tavares-Getzlaf-Eberle
Perry-Bergeron-Giroux
Duchene

Keith-Weber
Staal-Doughty
Del Zotto-Petriangelo
Letang

Luongo
Price
Fleury

Mix and match as you will
For the millionth time, Hall is better than Eberle.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Qrispy

Chemistry is huge in short tourneys, so I think putting as few guys as possible in their off-positions would be best.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Xentrillix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
i know he is, i just thought for my particular team eberle would be a better fit

Old
05-07-2013, 07:04 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I'm really interested to see if Martin St Louis makes the team.

I sure hope so.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Chemistry is huge in short tourneys, so I think putting as few guys as possible in their off-positions would be best.
With what they've shown so far, having an Eberle-Duchene-Hall fourth line might not be a bad idea.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:30 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xentrillix View Post
Fleury
Did everyone see MAF's meltdown, tonight??? OMG!!!! Somewhere, Rabid Ranger is laughing an EVIL laugh.

HOW CAN OUR GOALIES BE THIS BAD????????????????????????????????

Old
05-07-2013, 09:32 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Of course he is.

Canada will always love and have a place in their heart for Eberle. Having said that, he is NOT going to make Team Canada 2014.

Closed Thread