HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Cup of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Hockey Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2013, 09:25 PM
  #601
joe_shannon_1983*
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,518
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Duchene is a centre, which means he is about 15th on the depth-chart to make Team Canada at the Olympics.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 09:47 PM
  #602
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,951
vCash: 500

MeowLeafs is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:48 PM
  #603
WhiteLight*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,082
vCash: 500
St. Louis is a baby. No I'm not talking about Martin's kid there^


He doesn't go to the Worlds because he's pissed he was left off one Olympic roster in 2010 (which Canada won without him).

As far as I'm concerned he can stay home for Sochi. Canada can make due without him.

WhiteLight* is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 11:15 PM
  #604
joe_shannon_1983*
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,518
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
St. Louis is a baby. No I'm not talking about Martin's kid there^


He doesn't go to the Worlds because he's pissed he was left off one Olympic roster in 2010 (which Canada won without him).

As far as I'm concerned he can stay home for Sochi. Canada can make due without him.
Hasn't he represented Canada at the Worlds since 2010 though? I am not sure.

However, maybe he has been told that he won't be representing Canada in 2014?

Let's face, it, the 2014 team is already picked. I think Olympic teams are picked 1-2 years in advance every year.

This is why so many leading scorers are always left off, despite the team being picked when they are near the top of the league in points:

2002 = Thornton, Bertuzzi
2006 = Spezza, Staal
2010 = Stamkos, St. Louis

All were close to the top in league scoring when the teams were picked, but all were left off.

Because the teams were picked long before the season even begin.


Last edited by joe_shannon_1983*: 05-16-2013 at 11:21 PM.
joe_shannon_1983* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:51 AM
  #605
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
St. Louis is a baby. No I'm not talking about Martin's kid there^


He doesn't go to the Worlds because he's pissed he was left off one Olympic roster in 2010 (which Canada won without him).

As far as I'm concerned he can stay home for Sochi. Canada can make due without him.
Please, should Iginla have been left off in 06? 10? He's played in 1 WC in 1997 and Calgary has made it out of the first round once during his 15 years since then.

Oh wait, some players have families they'd rather spend time with, but this couldn't possibly be the reason, nah he's just mad about something 4 years ago

Sky04 is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 04:22 AM
  #606
TonsofPuppies*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
The biggest selection Hockey Canada has to make won't be any player but rather the coach. They have to pick coaches that have good tactical minds and know how to play on big ice. Something like a team of Mike Babcock and Andy Murray. Throw in Doug Shedden from Zug (NLA), who knows a fair bit about European hockey and from what I remember reading, he's developed tactically a lot since arriving in Europe years ago.
Agreed. Throwing 3 NHL coaches together is kind of a waste. I want some coaches with some experience on how to win on larger ice.

TonsofPuppies* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 09:03 AM
  #607
Holyhell
'Crumblers'
 
Holyhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachLavi View Post
Hasn't he represented Canada at the Worlds since 2010 though? I am not sure.

However, maybe he has been told that he won't be representing Canada in 2014?

Let's face, it, the 2014 team is already picked. I think Olympic teams are picked 1-2 years in advance every year.

This is why so many leading scorers are always left off, despite the team being picked when they are near the top of the league in points:

2002 = Thornton, Bertuzzi
2006 = Spezza, Staal
2010 = Stamkos, St. Louis

All were close to the top in league scoring when the teams were picked, but all were left off.

Because the teams were picked long before the season even begin.
So... St. Louis has a better shot at making the team now that he's dominated for a bit?

Holyhell is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
  #608
MyNameIsNobody*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I think we need 25:

Steven Stamkos / Claude Giroux/ Corey Perry
Milan Lucic/ Sidney Crosby / John Tavares
Jamie Benn/Jonathan Toews / Rick Nash
Eric Staal / Ryan Getzlaf/ Ladd

One of these:
matt duchene
Seguin
Kane
Sharp
Hall


Drew Doughty Shea Weber
Marc Staal Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith Subban
Jay Bouwmeester Kris Letang

One of these:
Colburn
Dan Hamhuis
Tyler Myers - if he bounces back
Seabrook


Smith
Ward
Price - depending how he does next year

None of these:
Luongo
McFleury

I have revised my team

I think we need 25:

Steven Stamkos / Claude Giroux/ Corey Perry
Milan Lucic/ Sidney Crosby / John Tavares
Jamie Benn/Jonathan Toews / Rick Nash
Eric Staal / Ryan Getzlaf/ Ladd

One of these:
Jeff Carter He is a monster in the LA series
matt duchene
Seguin
Kane
Sharp
Hall


Drew Doughty /Shea Weber
Marc Staal /Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith/ Subban
Jay Bouwmeester /Kris Letang

One of these:
Colburn
Dan Hamhuis
Tyler Myers - if he bounces back
Seabrook


Smith
Ward
Price - depending how he does next year

None of these:
Luongo
McFleury

MyNameIsNobody* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 04:40 PM
  #609
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST
 
YMCMBYOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,309
vCash: 879
I really hope Duchene makes it, kid really impressed in the WC. I may get flack here, but I wouldn't mind seeing O'Reilly get an invite.

YMCMBYOLO is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 05:27 PM
  #610
Crabby Williams
Registered User
 
Crabby Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
St. Louis is a baby. No I'm not talking about Martin's kid there^


He doesn't go to the Worlds because he's pissed he was left off one Olympic roster in 2010 (which Canada won without him).

As far as I'm concerned he can stay home for Sochi. Canada can make due without him.
Why do you think he has this long-lasting grudge against HC? He's not playing in the WC because he wants to spend time with his family, not to mention he's almost 39 years old.

Anyway, leaving him off would be a HUGE mistake. He's the best winger we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I really hope Duchene makes it, kid really impressed in the WC. I may get flack here, but I wouldn't mind seeing O'Reilly get an invite.
Eh... maybe. I do hope Duchene makes it, though. Kid's amazing.

Crabby Williams is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 06:29 PM
  #611
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Re-read the threads, there were even posters lol'ing at the fact Duchene was even chosen as PotG in some of them

Trying to be funny? Yea, like when Eberle was open in the slot but Duchene elected to pull a "Crosby vs Spezza behind the net" gig and then try a wrap around...after Hall chased the puck down, won board battle and threw it to him. Like all the time when he could pass on a 2 on 1 with Eberle but elected to shoot anyway?

Get off your high horse! Duchene f'd up just as much as all of them. Fact he kept hanging onto the puck and then shooting when better options were around clearly demonstrates his selfish nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Duchene will not make the olympic team because he has shown at this WC he is too much of a selfish player. I can't even count how many times he opted to shoot on a 2 on 1 instead of feeding Eberle a pass that anyone could make 90% of the time with a simple saucer.

He's got speed but he simply does not pass the puck to anybody, even though his two linemates were an all star and a player who finished far above him in points this season.
so let me get this straight.... you have to pass on a 2 on 1? That sure makes it easy for the other team...

Drij is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 07:36 PM
  #612
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
DyerMaker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,670
vCash: 547
Giroux is the best winger we have.

I like how Nash has really elevated his game for the playoffs.

DyerMaker66 is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:18 PM
  #613
joe_shannon_1983*
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,518
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Crosby
Toews
Stamkos
Tavares
Giroux
Nash
Getzlaf
Perry
E. Staal
Bergeron
M. Richards

I see these players as locks right now.

The other 2-3 forward spots (depending on whether 13 or 14 are taken) will come down to:

St. Louis
Hall
Seguin
Eberle
Marchand
Lucic
J. Staal
Benn
E. Kane
Sharp

I would prefer some defensive-minded, penalty-killing, physical, etc., players taken for the final 2-3 spots.

There is enough finesse and scoring amongst the locks. You need some sandpaper too.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:55 PM
  #614
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I like how Nash has really elevated his game for the playoffs.
he has not elevated his game at all

um is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:01 PM
  #615
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Agreed. Throwing 3 NHL coaches together is kind of a waste. I want some coaches with some experience on how to win on larger ice.
Then why you guys don't get a coach from Europe? it sounds logic i mean Europe takes in coach from NA to Europe.

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:07 PM
  #616
WhiteLight*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
Why do you think he has this long-lasting grudge against HC? He's not playing in the WC because he wants to spend time with his family, not to mention he's almost 39 years old.

Anyway, leaving him off would be a HUGE mistake. He's the best winger we have.
He was sitting on his ass at home from April 2012 to January 2013. I think he got enough family time, he could have taken 2 weeks to represent his country. He could even have brought his family for a Scandinavian vacation.


European players jump at any opportunity to represent their country, now a healthy guy who should seriously be on the radar for the Olympics decides he can't delay his summer for 2 weeks.

Don't wanna play for Canada? Fine, don't play for Canada. Tons of quality guys do want to play.

WhiteLight* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:12 PM
  #617
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post

European players jump at any opportunity to represent their country, now a healthy guy who should seriously be on the radar for the Olympics decides he can't delay his summer for 2 weeks.

Don't wanna play for Canada? Fine, don't play for Canada. Tons of quality guys do want to play.
When you say Europeans, you mean like Russians,Czechs,Slovakians and Finnish players? because we got the same problem as you guys do when it com to WC our best players say, no to get over here with lame excuses.

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:13 PM
  #618
WhiteLight*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
When you say Europeans, you mean like Russians,Czechs,Slovakians and Finnish players? because we got the same problem as you guys do when it com to WC our best players say, no to get over here with lame excuses.
Most of the time they are injuries, no?

St. Louis has no excuse, his team didn't even make the playoffs in the NHL.

WhiteLight* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:20 PM
  #619
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Most of the time they are injuries, no?

St. Louis has no excuse, his team didn't even make the playoffs in the NHL.
No if it is injuries its an acceptable excuse, but when they just got out from the SC playoffs and they say they don't feel for playing WC right now they need to calm down.
I mean it's just bull **** look on the Russian players they are honored to play for the Russian team it dosen't matter if it just Swedish hockey game, WC or olympic they take the next flight home and play for there country.

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 12:57 AM
  #620
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,511
vCash: 500
Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Hall-Bergeron-Giroux
Tavares-Toews-Staal
M.Richards-Getzlaf-Perry
Nash

Keith-Weber
Pietrangelo-Subban
Staal-Doughty
Letang

Luongo
Price
Reimer

Kershaw is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 08:31 AM
  #621
ChesterNimitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CinCPac
Country: Midway Islands
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
so let me get this straight.... you have to pass on a 2 on 1? That sure makes it easy for the other team...
We just never learn. We continue to pick players who excel on the smaller ice surfaces of the NHL but cannot cope on the larger Olympic arenas. The extra 15 feet in width that the teams will be playing on in Sochi, creates a completely different game, both offensively and defensively. So many of the 'people's choices' are not mobile enough to be a factor in the upcoming games. To omit Duchene, who is an elite skater and whose incredible speed intimidates other teams, would be akin to the decision of Team Canada to not play Gilbert Perreault in 1972. The Russians just shook their heads in disbelief at our primitive approach to hockey as we let the player they called 'the Great One' sit on the bench, while we rolled the immobile Hadfield's, Parises', etc.

If their is a single question as to a potential selectees skating ability, he should not be a consideration for the team. Any shortcomings in skating ability will only be magnified on the big ice.


Last edited by ChesterNimitz: 05-18-2013 at 08:51 AM.
ChesterNimitz is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 08:43 AM
  #622
That Habs Fan
Weber + Price = ✓
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Tavares-Crosby-Nash
Stamkos-Toews-St Louis
E Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Ladd-Bergeron-Richards
Giroux
Seguin
Duchene
Hall

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook
Letang-Subban
Hamhuis
Pietrangelo

Luongo
Price
Fleury


Last edited by That Habs Fan: 05-18-2013 at 10:36 AM.
That Habs Fan is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 09:51 AM
  #623
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,173
vCash: 500
This would be my team;

Kunitz* - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Toews - St. Louis
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp - Bergeron - Richards
Seguin, Giroux

Weber - Subban
Keith - Seabrook
Letang - Doughty
Hamhuis - Pietrangelo

Luongo
Price
Dubnyk**

* If Crosby is injured, replace Kunitz with Staal and Crosby with Hall. I believe chemistry plays a very important role in a short tournament.
** Dubnyk is a proud Canadian - jumps to wear our jersey at every opprotunity. He's never lost while donning a Team Canada jersey either. He's 10-0, I believe. - Holtby or Crawford would be my next choice. He's a very underrated NHL goalie too - to post stats like he does, with defense like he does might be one of the most impressive things in NHL hockey.

Natey is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:10 AM
  #624
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST
 
YMCMBYOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,309
vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
This would be my team;

Kunitz* - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Toews - St. Louis
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp - Bergeron - Richards
Seguin, Giroux

Weber - Subban
Keith - Seabrook
Letang - Doughty
Hamhuis - Pietrangelo

Luongo
Price
Dubnyk**

* If Crosby is injured, replace Kunitz with Staal and Crosby with Hall. I believe chemistry plays a very important role in a short tournament.
** Dubnyk is a proud Canadian - jumps to wear our jersey at every opprotunity. He's never lost while donning a Team Canada jersey either. He's 10-0, I believe. - Holtby or Crawford would be my next choice. He's a very underrated NHL goalie too - to post stats like he does, with defense like he does might be one of the most impressive things in NHL hockey.
Very surprised you picked Hall over Giroux, if Crosby is injured. Any reasoning?

YMCMBYOLO is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 12:17 PM
  #625
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Very surprised you picked Hall over Giroux, if Crosby is injured. Any reasoning?
Giroux is already on the team I made. Hall and Staal would replace those players, but not on the first line.

Kunitz* - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Toews - St. Louis
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp - Bergeron - Richards
Seguin, Giroux

turns into

Stamkos - Toews - St. Louis
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
Seguin - Giroux - Nash
Sharp - Bergeron - Richards
Staal, Hall

Natey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.