HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Cup of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Hockey Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Getzlaf disappeared after signing his contract? Uh... that is blatantly false.

Edit: And I can't explain Perry's play this season, so I won't bother trying. That being said, he didn't disappear after signing his extension, either. He just looked off the entire season. The prior season, however, he still lead the Western Conference in goals, and he put up very respectable numbers, and he did it with Getzlaf having the worst year of his career. Food for thought.
Both players mentioned, their production decreased once their new deals were signed. Listen, I make no secret of the fact that I am not a fan of either of these two players, Captain Ego and PIMs Perry.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:05 AM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Both players mentioned, their production decreased once their new deals were signed. Listen, I make no secret of the fact that I am not a fan of either of these two players, Captain Ego and PIMs Perry.
Ryan Getzlaf is as much of a lock as Sidney Crosby. Don't kid yourself, on his day this player can absolutely dominate a game with his size and smarts. There's no one on available that has the package he has. Others are adaptable on wing but he will be one of the team's centreman come February.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Ryan Getzlaf is as much of a lock as Sidney Crosby. Don't kid yourself, on his day this player can absolutely dominate a game with his size and smarts. There's no one on available that has the package he has. Others are adaptable on wing but he will be one of the team's centreman come February.
With either one of the Bobbsey Twins from Anaheim in the line-up, I don't like our chances. I hope you're young and that neither one are part of the Sochi team, but in case you are right and one or both go, then I hope I am wrong. But I am almost never wrong.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Blackshad

Alright here's my opinion on how Team Canada have to build their team.

Their main focus should be on speed and a coaching staff that know how to play on an international rink.

As we have seen the last past couple of years with the World Championship, Canada struggled to get a podium. I think one of the reason is obviously the size of the rink and the way most canadians wants to play the game.

I was watching the world championship a week ago and the commentator kept saying that Canada needed to do a dump and chase type of game. The thing is, due the bigger rink, it takes longer for a forward to get to the end of the ennemy zone. The enemy defenceman usually have less distance to get to the puck compared to the attacking forward. The goaltender have more time to intercept the puck and pass it to another defender. This tactic didnt seem to work well for Canada. They were just giving the puck away.

During that tournament, i could see less talented teams with a lot of speed be able to compete against top ranked seed. Why so? I think the tactics of hockey played on a international sized rink are different than an North American one. Since most of the coaches and players from those teams play on international rinks all the time, their tactics evolved and are more effective for this size of rink.

I think european teams tend to hold more to the puck than Canadian and since there is more space, it is easier to keep control of the puck by doing passes. On a North American one, the guy who have the puck usually have less reaction time because the players are closer.

Most of our canadian players always played on a NA size rink and dont play often on bigger rink. This is obviously a reason why their normals drills, entering,clearing the zone tactics are far from perfect at the international level. This give an edge to the opposition.

That's why i am saying that toughness is always something to consider, but speed is the most effective asset with the size of those rinks. Strategies and tactics used by the canadian coaching staff should be reviewed accordingly.

My 2 cents

Old
05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Getzlaf's production was consistent, until he injured his ankle a month after his signed his deal.

Quote:
With either one of the Bobbsey Twins from Anaheim in the line-up, I don't like our chances. I hope you're young and that neither one are part of the Sochi team, but in case you are right and one or both go, then I hope I am wrong. But I am almost never wrong.
Did you like Canada's chances in Vancouver, with both of them in the line-up?

05-24-2013, 02:26 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad View Post

Their main focus should be on speed and a coaching staff that know how to play on an international rink.

As we have seen the last past couple of years with the World Championship, Canada struggled to get a podium. I think one of the reason is obviously the size of the rink and the way most canadians wants to play the game.

I was watching the world championship a week ago and the commentator kept saying that Canada needed to do a dump and chase type of game. The thing is, due the bigger rink, it takes longer for a forward to get to the end of the ennemy zone. The enemy defenceman usually have less distance to get to the puck compared to the attacking forward. The goaltender have more time to intercept the puck and pass it to another defender. This tactic didnt seem to work well for Canada. They were just giving the puck away.

During that tournament, i could see less talented teams with a lot of speed be able to compete against top ranked seed. Why so? I think the tactics of hockey played on a international sized rink are different than an North American one. Since most of the coaches and players from those teams play on international rinks all the time, their tactics evolved and are more effective for this size of rink.

I think european teams tend to hold more to the puck than Canadian and since there is more space, it is easier to keep control of the puck by doing passes. On a North American one, the guy who have the puck usually have less reaction time because the players are closer.

Most of our canadian players always played on a NA size rink and dont play often on bigger rink. This is obviously a reason why their normals drills, entering,clearing the zone tactics are far from perfect at the international level. This give an edge to the opposition.

That's why i am saying that toughness is always something to consider, but speed is the most effective asset with the size of those rinks. Strategies and tactics used by the canadian coaching staff should be reviewed accordingly.

My 2 cents
I think anyone here who had his head on straight would agree with that. Puck possession is more important here, and we need guys who can do so on the big rink.

Old
05-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Cowboy Dan
Reader Since '06

Posted this is another thread, but figure I'd post it here too.

My As-Of-Now Team Canada

Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
E.Staal-Getzlaf-Giroux
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Couture-Bergeron-Perry
St. Louis

Pietrangelo-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Staal-Letang
Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Old
05-24-2013, 04:02 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:

My 2 cents

I get your point. And I agree with the most, but this year's team canada was particularly skilled and the speed was ok also. Maybe the coaching and strategies were the problem, idk.

But no matter if the game is played on NHL or International ice, you have to go hard to the net. You have to be physical and aggressive enough.

// of course agree with the speed and puck possession.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:06 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
You have to be physical and aggressive enough.

Remember why Canadian Hockey wins at different events. That's what separates us and come February you'll need everyone to play that way.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Getzlaf's production was consistent, until he injured his ankle a month after his signed his deal.

Did you like Canada's chances in Vancouver, with both of them in the line-up?
Even though I am not a fan of either player, I had them both included on the 2010 team for obvious reasons. NHL rink, players were 3 years younger, Getzlaf was producing at over a pt. per game pace which any TOP 3 Canadian center should. Perry was the 2nd leading scoring RW at the time. They both deserved to be included on the team. The only player personnel decisions I questioned were Heatly and Thornton. I would have taken the 19 year old Stamkos and MSL., but that just me. And I picked Vancouver correctly. The only thing I got wrong about Vancouver was the loss to the U.S. and the tough game against the Slovaks. As the vast majority of the team were the 1985 born players that made up the 2005 U20 team. (I'm sure you remember that team) I thought the gold medal was pretty much in the bag... it just wasn't in the bag as easily as I thought it would be.
But I digress... it sounds like you are a Ducks fan... so you and I will never agree on the 2 players in question...so lets just leave it that. agree to disagree.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:10 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dan View Post

My As-Of-Now Team Canada

Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
E.Staal-Getzlaf-Giroux
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Couture-Bergeron-Perry
St. Louis

Pietrangelo-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Staal-Letang
Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Nice !

I would probably go with Sharp instead of Perry, but otherwise it looks ok.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:19 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:

My As-Of-Now Team Canada

Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
E.Staal-Getzlaf-Giroux
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Couture-Bergeron-Perry
St. Louis

Pietrangelo-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Staal-Letang
Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawford

This is an excellent one. I think I'd replace one of Couture or St. Louis with Eberle but other than that I agree with it.

I also think this is way more realistic than the ones that look like rosters for a prospects game.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post

Remember why Canadian Hockey wins at different events. That's what separates us and come February you'll need everyone to play that way.
Well that kinda prove my point. This was in Vancouver, NA sized rink.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Cowboy Dan
Reader Since '06

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Nice !

I would probably go with Sharp instead of Perry, but otherwise it looks ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

This is an excellent one. I think I'd replace one of Couture or St. Louis with Eberle but other than that I agree with it.

I also think this is way more realistic than the ones that look like rosters for a prospects game.
Thanks for the kind words guys! This is only for if the team was being picked today, as you can see. Sharp and Eberle are both right there for me and the first few months of next year will factor in huge for both, especially if St. Louis starts off sluggish. I believe Perry will be there, given his NT experience and ability to play numerous roles, which is obviously going to play a huge part.

Old
05-24-2013, 05:56 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Proves my point also. We set the tempo and pace of the game, you let the opposition adapt, we can't play soft and defensive like europeans do, that's boring and that's not how our Hockey is played. Everyone's watching the playoffs and the aggressive nature of it , that's the aggression needed. Watching the boring World Championship tournament, just proves that sitting back and waiting is not the way to play, and seeing how Babcock coaches and how's he's won at every level expect this team to play an aggressive style. Why waste perhaps the most crucial part of our game, the physical play and the aggressiveness. Babcock in an interview said that before the Russia game he told the players, ''don't play cautious''. Attack attack attack! That's how to play!

Old
05-24-2013, 06:14 PM
McDuul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

Why is hfboards so obsessed with Eberle? I understand he's had success internationally and would love for him to be on team Canada, but there is no way Eberle gets on that roster before Hall.

Old
05-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Crabby Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Why is hfboards so obsessed with Eberle? I understand he's had success internationally and would love for him to be on team Canada, but there is no way Eberle gets on that roster before Hall.
or St. Louis and Couture, for that matter.

Old
05-24-2013, 06:42 PM
hersky77

Quote:

My As-Of-Now Team Canada

Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
E.Staal-Getzlaf-Giroux
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Couture-Bergeron-Perry
St. Louis

Pietrangelo-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Staal-Letang
Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawford
Staal- Will his eye be ok, played one playoff game has not played since. Worried its going to be a malholtra type of situation.

Crawford- I would rather holtby, but fine with crawford if chosen.

Other than that very well put together team

Old
05-24-2013, 06:53 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:

My As-Of-Now Team Canada

Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
E.Staal-Getzlaf-Giroux
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Couture-Bergeron-Perry
St. Louis

Pietrangelo-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Staal-Letang
Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawford
A terrific team. Well done.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Cowboy Dan
Reader Since '06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
Staal- Will his eye be ok, played one playoff game has not played since. Worried its going to be a malholtra type of situation.
Very good point and only time will tell if he'll be ready for next season or the OG's, but I decided to leave him in there for now. For my money, he's the best pure-shutdown D-man Canada has, so if he's healthy I would like to see him there. If not I could see Hamhuis or Seabrook in his spot.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:20 PM
DJB

vCash: 150
Neal - Crosby - Giroux
Stamkos - Tavares - St. Louis
Toews - Getzlaf - Perry
E Staal - Bergeron - Couture
Nash

Pietrangelo - Weber
Keith - Doughty
Staal - Letang
Subban

Luongo
Price
Brodeur

I like the forwards having some familiarity. Neal and Sid, Marty with Stamkos, Getz with Perry. Just hard filling in the blanks with the other guys.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:44 PM
DJB

vCash: 150
In a short tournament, you need goalscorers as goals are usually at a premium. Thats why I like Neal...

Old
05-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:

My As-Of-Now Team Canada

Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
E.Staal-Getzlaf-Giroux
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Couture-Bergeron-Perry
St. Louis

Pietrangelo-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Staal-Letang
Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawford
Fairly close to what I'd have.

Tavares - Crosby - Giroux
Couture - Stamkos - St Louis
Richards - Toews - Nash
Neal - Bergeron - Sharp
Getzlaf

Keith - Weber
Doughty - Subban
Letang - Pietrangelo
Staal

Luongo
Price
Smith

Notes:
- The spares give us a bit of a different look, if need be.
- No Eric or Jordan Staal please.
- I really tried hard to find spots for Benn and (a healthy) Spezza, but I just don't see it.
- IMO the guys with high hockey IQ will thrive and make the quickest adjustment to international ice. I can see guys like Tavares, Couture and Richards, among others, having great tournaments.
- Neal is just a place holder for now, that 4th line LW is 100% up for grabs between now and the games.
- The D is set. Make whatever combinations you want, but I can't see anyone beating out those 6 for a spot.
- Luongo starts. Hopefully Price can pick up his game. He usually starts his seasons off stronger than he finishes though, so maybe he'll be in his best condition for the tournament.

Old
05-25-2013, 02:09 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Fairly close to what I'd have.

Tavares - Crosby - Giroux
Couture - Stamkos - St Louis
Richards - Toews - Nash
Neal - Bergeron - Sharp
Getzlaf

Keith - Weber
Doughty - Subban
Letang - Pietrangelo
Staal

Luongo
Price
Smith

Notes:
- The spares give us a bit of a different look, if need be.
- No Eric or Jordan Staal please.
- I really tried hard to find spots for Benn and (a healthy) Spezza, but I just don't see it.
- IMO the guys with high hockey IQ will thrive and make the quickest adjustment to international ice. I can see guys like Tavares, Couture and Richards, among others, having great tournaments.
- Neal is just a place holder for now, that 4th line LW is 100% up for grabs between now and the games.
- The D is set. Make whatever combinations you want, but I can't see anyone beating out those 6 for a spot.
- Luongo starts. Hopefully Price can pick up his game. He usually starts his seasons off stronger than he finishes though, so maybe he'll be in his best condition for the tournament.

TO EVERYONE HERE. IT'S 25 PLAYERS NOT 23 ..... 25

And you will have at least 2 staals. Cheech

Old
05-25-2013, 02:19 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
We will not win by playing soft

We can't match the Russians and USA IN speed. We need to play tough cause there are boards in Russia also.

80% of people here think that if we get super fast skaters it'll be enough. What a laugh.
We won't have anyone to get the pucks from the board

We need tough puck getters to win. We need tough big mother ****ers with speed. Not midgets with speed who are over 40

MSL and brodeur can stay home.
Anyone here suggesting reimer has a chance should watch a game other than Toronto.

There are only 20-30% of people on this forum who know what they are talking about.

Closed Thread