HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
That is why I don't like to pick teams for this thread - the big ice. I just don't know who I would place on the team. I would have said Perry but I know he did not do well at the WC. Getzlaf is great but perhaps too big and slow. I won't even read posts that include Iginla.

Anyway, I am sure HC will learn from Torino and find the right mix. Like I said, there is no shortage of talent up front.

Whatever roster 86Habs suggests, then that will be the best one. Actually we picked almost identical rosters except maybe 2 players different and a few in different positions, but when I thought about, I just like his roster better. JackSlater picks a good roster as well...everything else on here I just shake my head at and go oh brother.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:44 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Whatever roster 86Habs suggests, then that will be the best one. Actually we picked almost identical rosters except maybe 2 players different and a few in different positions, but when I thought about, I just like his roster better. JackSlater picks a good roster as well...everything else on here I just shake my head at and go oh brother.
Yes, Mr Slater is good.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:52 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Whatever roster 86Habs suggests, then that will be the best one...
I looked for it but could not find it. Please repost.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:58 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

The team has to be fast and smart. I can live with losing (altho it will hurt like hell) but I don't want to lose as a result of us :

1) Being too slow (like we were against the Americans in Sochi, |Game 1);
2) Having poor goaltending (again, see game one against the U.S.)
3) Being stupid - see Todd Bertuzzi in Turin.

We will always second guess who is sent (before and after the games) but we need to ensure the picks are smart and suited for the big ice.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I looked for it but could not find it. Please repost.
in the thread previous to this one part 4. towards the end I believe... not a roster in one post but a series of posts.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:16 PM
JackSlater

It's too early to freak out over Price. A crappy week or two doesn't mean that much. These threads are often filled with people exaggerating the significance of small sample size phenomena, both the bad (Price recently) and the good (Carter a few weeks ago, Getzlaf). The playoffs will mean far more for him than the last two weeks, and the following regular season will mean even more.

This is the lowest point for Canadian goaltending since at least the early 80s, if not beyond. Sending out Liut and Fuhr isn't quite as imposing as a Roy/Brodeur combo from 15 years ago. Still, if the other 20 skaters on the team play to their potential there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
It's too early to freak out over Price. A crappy week or two doesn't mean that much. These threads are often filled with people exaggerating the significance of small sample size phenomena, both the bad (Price recently) and the good (Carter a few weeks ago, Getzlaf). The playoffs will mean far more for him than the last two weeks, and the following regular season will mean even more.

This is the lowest point for Canadian goaltending since at least the early 80s, if not beyond. Sending out Liut and Fuhr isn't quite as imposing as a Roy/Brodeur combo from 15 years ago. Still, if the other 20 skaters on the team play to their potential there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Ya you're right...no need to overreact; I'm prone to it, in part it's my Irish temper and most importantly makes for much more entertaining discussion.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:25 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Ya you're right...no need to overreact; I'm prone to it, in part it's my Irish temper and most importantly makes for much more entertaining discussion.
I'm a Mic too.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I'm a Mic too.

excellent, you can pay for the first rounds.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:05 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

I am so bothered that the Americans, who have Derek Stepan as their 3rd leading scorer, are not required to play in the relegation side - in Sochi. I mean, what was that old joke when we were kids?...

"If I had a 3rd leading scorer like Derek Stepan, I'd shave my dog's butt and teach it to walk backwards."

Makes me ill. On paper, we would outscore these guys 10-1. All we need is goaltending.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:46 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
It is hard to argue with that. Hell, I would go with an AHL goalie if I knew he could produce a "B" game.

As for Fleury, I think his playoff last year and WJR in 2004(?) are enough to exclude him from the conversation. I don't want that kind of meltdown in a one game elimination.

We just need someone who can keep the games close and let the Forwards and D do the rest - just like 2010.

So you don't wanna Fleury, who's won the Stanley Cup, in the conversation, but you do Reimer even he has never played in the play-offs.

If Fleury has great play-offs this year and starts good the next season, I don't see any reason to keep him out of the team canada. Of course, if the Pens and Fleury are eliminated early, with Fleury's bad play, then it will be a big reason to leave him home.

I like Reimer, but he has to show something in the play-offs. The same for Crawford, Holtby, Elliott and Price. Luongo will be in Sochi. Plus Price or Fleury, at least one of them. And the third one...who knows.

I don't like the garbage about Luongo and his last olympic play. He won the olympics, he played good against Russia and US, I don't see any serious reason, why you guys blame him for that tournament. He alowed 2 goals in the gold medal game, wow. That's horrible.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
We need to be thankful that we only need one. One half decent net minder and we could easily win Gold. Or, look at it from another perspective...

We could be like Team US and have a half dozen goalies (better than ours) and have no place to play them - they only have one team too.

Also, our friends to the south have not been ripping up the league on either the Offensive side (only Kane, Kessel and Stepan are in the Top 30 of scoring - and only Kane would make Team Canada) or on D - Suter has been GREAT but the rest have not been as good as their names.

Like I said, if our goalie can keep it every game close, we will be more than fine in Sochi.
Agreed.

I'm not too wory about the goaltending. Sure it could be better than that, but we should be ok with this.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:08 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:

That's right. I remember when I said I wanted Thornton and Marleau in Sochi ....whoops...never said that . You're right, the play-offs and the beginning of the next season will be far more important.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:09 PM
AlexanderTheGood

Forwards:

Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby - Claude Giroux

Eric Staal - Jonathan Toews - Rick Nash

Brad Marchand - Patrice Bergeron - Martin St. Louis

Taylor Hall - Ryan Getzlaf - Jordan Eberle

John Tavares

Defencemen:

Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook

P.K. Subban - Shea Weber

Kris Letang - Alex Pietrangelo

Drew Doughty

Goaltenders:

Martin Brodeur, Carey Price, & Marc-Andre Fleury

Old
04-21-2013, 04:13 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
So you don't wanna Fleury, who's won the Stanley Cup, in the conversation, but you do Reimer even he has never played in the play-offs.

If Fleury has great play-offs this year and starts good the next season, I don't see any reason to keep him out of the team canada. Of course, if the Pens and Fleury are eliminated early, with Fleury's bad play, then it will be a big reason to leave him home.

I like Reimer, but he has to show something in the play-offs. The same for Crawford, Holtby, Elliott and Price. Luongo will be in Sochi. Plus Price or Fleury, at least one of them. And the third one...who knows.

I don't like the garbage about Luongo and his last olympic play. He won the olympics, he played good against Russia and US, I don't see any serious reason, why you guys blame him for that tournament. He alowed 2 goals in the gold medal game, wow. That's horrible.
Re : Fleury

I will never forgive him for the World Juniors a decade back. NEVER!!!

Re : Luongo

I have watched the 3rd period of the Gold Medal game many times. The guy was an accident waiting to happen. He could not hold on to the puck. All of Canada held their breath everytime the Americans entered the zone.

Yes Luongo won. Yes he was not horrible. Yes he has nice hair. No I do not want him in goal for Canada in 2014.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:21 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderTheGood View Post
Forwards:

Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby - Claude Giroux

Eric Staal - Jonathan Toews - Rick Nash

Brad Marchand - Patrice Bergeron - Martin St. Louis

Taylor Hall - Ryan Getzlaf - Jordan Eberle

John Tavares

Defencemen:

Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook

P.K. Subban - Shea Weber

Kris Letang - Alex Pietrangelo

Drew Doughty

Goaltenders:

Martin Brodeur, Carey Price, & Marc-Andre Fleury
As far as the pics go... I rikey. I rikey, arot.

As far as the picks go...

- No Brad Marchand. We do not need a "Little Ball of Hate" taking a bad penalty.

- No Jordan Eberle. We will forever love the kid but we can do better.

- No Marty. We don't want that "Old Person" smell on the player's cloths after a 20 hour flight to Sochi.

Other than that, not bad.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:40 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

^^^^

I know that we are not as deep as we were in 2010 on D but...

That is a young, fast, talented group on the back end. Impressive!

Old
04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Mehar

Quote:
As far as the pics go... I rikey. I rikey, arot.

As far as the picks go...

- No Brad Marchand. We do not need a "Little Ball of Hate" taking a bad penalty.

- No Jordan Eberle. We will forever love the kid but we can do better.

- No Marty. We don't want that "Old Person" smell on the player's cloths after a 20 hour flight to Sochi.

Other than that, not bad.
You beat me to it man

Old
04-21-2013, 06:33 PM
LeHabsMan

As of today:

John Tavares - Sidney Crosby - Rick Nash
Steven Stamkos - Ryan Getzlaf - Martin St.Louis
Taylor Hall - Jonathan Toews - Claude Giroux
(Jamie Benn or Matt Duchene) - Patrice Bergeron - Eric Staal
-(Jamie Benn or Matt Duchene)

PK Subban - Shea Weber
Duncan Keith - (Kris Letang or Brent Seabrook)
Drew Doughty - Alex Pietrangelo
-(Kris Letang or Brent Seabrook)

Carey Price
Roberto Luongo
(Cam Ward or MA Fleury)

Old
04-21-2013, 06:59 PM
86Habs

Quote:

Yes, I totally agree. Though as a Habs fan, I'm worried about this team going into the playoffs. As I mentioned in an earlier post Price still has an inside track on one of the top two jobs, I've got to believe, and it will be up to a guy like Reimer, Crawford, Fleury, or maybe even Elliott to knock him out of that position or earn the #3 job, which they can probably do with an exceptional playoff run. The goaltending situation is still very much fluid, IMO. And in my view the summer camp will have very little bearing on who our 3 goaltenders will eventually be.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:23 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
I'm a Mic too.

Scots are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Yes, I totally agree. Though as a Habs fan, I'm worried about this team going into the playoffs. As I mentioned in an earlier post Price still has an inside track on one of the top two jobs, I've got to believe, and it will be up to a guy like Reimer, Crawford, Fleury, or maybe even Elliott to knock him out of that position or earn the #3 job, which they can probably do with an exceptional playoff run. The goaltending situation is still very much fluid, IMO. And in my view the summer camp will have very little bearing on who our 3 goaltenders will eventually be.
Yeah, I can't imagine the camp will be overly significant when it comes to goaltenders. The playoffs are going to be significant to HC, for better or worse, and the next regular season will be important. Even though it seems very wide open, I can't imagine anyone outside of Price, Luongo, Ward or Fleury being given a legitimate shot at the starting job. No other goaltenders have the pedigree in the NHL or internationally, and HC is not going to just bring whoever happens to be playing the best in December 2013.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:37 PM
FrontOffice

Tavares Crosby Nash
Stamkos Giroux Perry
E.Staal Toews Getzlaf
M. Richards Bergeron Ladd
St.louis

Doughty Keith
Weber Letang
Subban Pietrangelo
M. Staal

Price
Ward
Luongo

Internship back in full force

Old
04-23-2013, 02:06 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Last edited by landskronala: 04-23-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 03:18 PM
AlexanderTheGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post

Haha. Brilliant.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!