HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 09:39 PM
sparxx87

vCash: 500
My 25 man roster would be

St.Louis-Crosby-Stamkos
Tavares-Giroux-Seguin
Benn-Getzlaf-Perry
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Bergeron-Couture

Keith-Doughty
Letang-Weber
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Staal-Subban

Price
Ward
Fleury

Last edited by sparxx87: 05-01-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 09:47 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Jean-Gabriel Pageau is a dark horse

Old
05-01-2013, 09:48 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post

St.Louis-Crosby-Stamkos
Tavares-Giroux-Seguin
Benn-Getzlaf-Perry
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Bergeron-J.Staal

Keith-Doughty
Letang-Weber
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Staal-Subban

Price
Ward
Fleury

I like this one even better - mostly because you kept the 4th line together from 2010.

I am in awe of how talented we are up front.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:03 PM
mobilus

Forwards
Stamkos - Crosby - Nash (Stamkos' shot with Crosby's passing and Nash's piercing skill)
Hall - Giroux - Stall (A line made up of pure skill, speed that offensively, I think will do wonders)
Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry (Tavares is a pure goalscorer and as always, great Perry-Getzlaf chemistry)
Bergeron-Toews-M. Richards (Great defensive ability, face off ability, and could easily get scoring)
Extras: Tyler Seguin, Jordan Eberle (Young guns on the rise, Eberle is clutch, Seguin insane skill set)

Defence
Letang-Weber (Cannon of a shot, puck-movement, hitting, defensive ability, these guys have it all)
Subban-Doughty (Great skating and shots along with solid defence and puck movement)
Keith-Pietrangelo (Overall just solid in both defence and offence)
Extra: Seabrook (The best defence man that I have left, could easily be a factor)

Goalies
1. Price (He has slumps, but he is definitely a top-5 goalie and has been in a Canada jersey before)
2. Luongo (Experience from 2010, and people forget, he's still a great talent)
3. Fleury/Crawford (My best 3rd choices, both can be great, want to see if Crawford can keep this up)

Old
05-01-2013, 11:00 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post

St.Louis-Crosby-Stamkos
Tavares-Giroux-Seguin
Benn-Getzlaf-Perry
M.Richards-Toews-Nash
Bergeron-Couture

Keith-Doughty
Letang-Weber
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Staal-Subban

Price
Ward
Fleury
Unless something drastic happens there is 0 chance Seguin makes the team ahead of Hall. 0. Or Benn for that matter

Old
05-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Jean-Gabriel Pageau is a dark horse
Matt Duchene is a dark horse. Pageau is a troll suggestion.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:28 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
Unless something drastic happens there is 0 chance Seguin makes the team ahead of Hall. 0. Or Benn for that matter
I don't see how when he plays a position we have less depth at than the other two and he's as good as Hall.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:32 PM
DyerMaker66

Any chance Crosby plays LW for Stamkos, or does everyone think that's out of the realm of possibility?

Last edited by DyerMaker66: 05-01-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Any chance Crosby plays LW for Stamkos, or does everyone think that's out of the realm of possibility?
There's no way they move Crosby out of his natural position. Back when the Pens had Jordan Staal, they had Malkin playing wing for Crosby.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Why would this even be considered? Stamkos isn't great as faceoffs and Crosby is just a better center flat out, not to mention when Tampa's big 3 are on the same line, Stamkos moves to wing for Lecavalier.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:14 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Why would this even be considered? Stamkos isn't great as faceoffs and Crosby is just a better center flat out, not to mention when Tampa's big 3 are on the same line, Stamkos moves to wing for Lecavalier.
So you can have two right-handed players on his line without either of them playing out of position: Crosby - Stamkos - Giroux, or if MSL makes the team
Crosby - Stamkos - St. Louis (I know - not right-handed but he is RW)

Also, it keeps the chemistry that Stamkos and Giroux might find together while removing one player and slotting in a better player.

Last edited by DyerMaker66: 05-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Sky04

Quote:
So you can have two right-handed players on his line without either of them playing out of position: Crosby - Stamkos - Giroux, or if MSL makes the team
Crosby - Stamkos - St. Louis (I know - not right-handed but he is RW)

Also, it keeps the chemistry that Stamkos and Giroux might find together while removing one player and slotting in a better player.
Giroux plays center.. so either way, 2 people are playing out of position if you want that line.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:34 AM
DyerMaker66

Giroux also plays right wing... so he's not actually playing out of position.

Last edited by DyerMaker66: 05-02-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 03:31 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 1100
This's amazingly tough but i'll try this

St. Louis-Crosby--Stamkos

Hall--Tavares--Giroux

Nash-Toews--M.Richards

E.Staal-Getzlaf-Perry

Bergeron

Weber--Doughty

Pietrangelo-Subban

Keith--Letang

Seabrook

Price/Fleury

Luongo

Old
05-02-2013, 07:42 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Hall-Crosby-Stamkos
Nash-Tavares-Giroux
Getzlaf-Toews-Perry
Ladd-Richards-Bergeron

Three dominating lines with a true shutdown line that can even put the puck in the net. I like Ladd in that position and put Richards at C because I don't know if one of him or Ladd can play the right side well enough.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:40 AM
tade

First line in Sochi:
Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux
and that is all about it. Honestly, nothing come close to potential of this line.

Maybe Russia could compete with line Kovalchuk - Malkin - Ovechkin.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tade View Post
First line in Sochi:
Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux
and that is all about it. Honestly, nothing come close to potential of this line.

Maybe Russia could compete with line Kovalchuk - Malkin - Ovechkin.
Crosby and Giroux loathe each other, and it will be interesting to see if they play together at all at the summer orientation camp. Stylistically, they'd likely be a great match, but again I'm not sure if they'd be able to find any chemistry out there.

And, this is just my opinion, but I think we'd be stupid to have Crosby and Stamkos (our two best offensive players) on the same line, at least at ES. Splitting them up and having them anchor their own lines would create more difficulties for the opposition's coaching staff when matching lines.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:07 AM
ChiHawk21

Nash-Crosby-Tavares
St Louis-Stamkos-Girouix
E Staal-Toews-Perry
J Staal-Bergeron-Richards
Getz/Laad

I dont know where to fit Getzlaf in and i know he should be in there.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:42 AM
avsman

Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
Hall-Duchene-Seguin
Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry
Nash-Toews-Richards
Bergeron/Staal

Alzner-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Staal-Pietrangelo
Subban-Letang

Price
Luongo
Holtby

Old
05-02-2013, 11:13 AM
JackSlater

Tavares Crosby Giroux
E. Staal Stamkos St. Louis
Hall Toews Nash
Richards Bergeron Seguin
Sharp (Young Guy)

Keith Weber
Doughty Pietrangelo
M. Staal Subban
Letang Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Irrelevant

I continue to find it difficult to find spots for both St. Louis and Giroux, particularly if Giroux is considered to be unable to coexist with Crosby. I'm still very high on the second line, with Stamkos and St. Louis doing their typical damage while Staal wreaks some havoc. I still want Nash and Toews together, and Hall gives them another person that can crash around as well as some world class speed. If it fails, Richards is still there to recreate 2010. The fourth line almost matches the Boston line, except Richards is in Marchand's place. I prefer Richards mainly for his wealth of experience. Sharp is an ideal extra skater who can kill penalties and slot in on numerous lines. The fourteenth spot can go to whoever is playing well as of December.

The defence largely picks itself by this point, and I think the above group has a decent balance of offence and defence. The lack of LHS is an issue that really can't be resolved, but really when we are talking about the best players in the world I am confident that they can sort out playing on their off side.

Goaltending is... typical of recent times.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Tavares Crosby Giroux
Hall Toews Nash
Richards Bergeron Seguin
Sharp (Young Guy)

Keith Weber
Doughty Pietrangelo
M. Staal Subban
Letang Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Irrelevant

I continue to find it difficult to find spots for both St. Louis and Giroux, particularly if Giroux is considered to be unable to coexist with Crosby. I'm still very high on the second line, with Stamkos and St. Louis doing their typical damage while Staal wreaks some havoc. I still want Nash and Toews together, and Hall gives them another person that can crash around as well as some world class speed. If it fails, Richards is still there to recreate 2010. The fourth line almost matches the Boston line, except Richards is in Marchand's place. I prefer Richards mainly for his wealth of experience. Sharp is an ideal extra skater who can kill penalties and slot in on numerous lines. The fourteenth spot can go to whoever is playing well as of December.

The defence largely picks itself by this point, and I think the above group has a decent balance of offence and defence. The lack of LHS is an issue that really can't be resolved, but really when we are talking about the best players in the world I am confident that they can sort out playing on their off side.

Goaltending is... typical of recent times.
You really do know the score, Jack. And you should copy and paste this post every two pages or so, just so that the occasional poster, who couldn't bother reading what's been covered a thousand times, can educate him or herself on what the team really should look like.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
dubs

I cannot believe how overrated Seguin is. At this point he would not even make Team Canada if there was 2 teams. All the names below are better than Seguin right now.

Jeff Carter
Chris Stewart
Jordan Eberle
James Neal
Logan Couture
PA Parenteau
Matt Moulson
Michael Ryder

Old
05-02-2013, 12:16 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
I cannot believe how overrated Seguin is. At this point he would not even make Team Canada if there was 2 teams. All the names below are better than Seguin right now.
I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
Logan Couture
I would love to see him on the team. Sadly, it won't happen.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:34 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Tavares Crosby Giroux
Hall Toews Nash
Richards Bergeron Seguin
Sharp (Young Guy)

Keith Weber
Doughty Pietrangelo
M. Staal Subban
Letang Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Irrelevant
Solid, solid team as always Jack. As an aside, Giroux and Stamkos are practicing together at the Worlds, so let's see how that plays out and if they can develop some chemistry on the larger ice surface. That may solve the whole Crosby-Giroux dynamic (if there even is one).

Personally, and I know of few of the posters here will hate me for it, I like Getzlaf for a spot on this team and I'd try and find a center position for him in the top-12. Here's my reasoning - the guy is back to his 2009-2011, 90+ form, and is still one of the premier playmaking centers in the NHL. Of the Anaheim games I caught this season he's been physically dominant. Our center depth chart is currently 1. Crosby; 2. Stamkos/Giroux; 3. Toews. With the exception of Nash and Eric Staal, the rest of our forwards aren't going to have a lot of size. By slotting Getzlaf in to the #4C position, we've already created a line with significantly different "look" from the other lines, which will probably need to be covered by a more physical defensive pairing on the other team. And, it will again take pressure off the Crosby and Stamkos lines and result in favourable matchups for at least one those lines.

We all know that Getzlaf's skating leaves a bit to be desired, but I'd have to think we would be alright if he's lined up with at least one defensively responsible, strong skater that's attuned to his positioning and is able to skate back hard on the backcheck. A lot of Getzlaf's game involves cycling the puck down low and trying to find the open man in the slot, which I'm not sure how well will translate to the different ice surface. But in any event he's an excellent passer and I think he'd do very well with a trigger-man like Jeff Carter, who is himself a great skater, defensively responsible, and has a lethal shot (and kills penalties, as a bonus). I personally think a Hall-Getzlaf-Carter line would perform well. I'd move Bergeron up to RW on either the Crosby line or Toews line, depending on how you want to play it. (Subsequent to my post a few pages back, I'm rethinking the Seguin selection, with Carter being the guy I'd replace him with).

On defense, I'd try and find room for one more LHed defenceman, either JBo or Hamhuis. To replace Seabrook (it came down to a numbers game, for him).

Goaltending should take care of itself. Someone will step in the playoffs - Crawford, Holtby, Price...I have faith.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:38 PM
WarriorofTime

As a Hawks fan let me say that Brent Seabrook has no business making Team Canada next year. There's definitely 7 better Defensemen out there.

Closed Thread