HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Daylight Savings: Indiana should be on CT (as should Michigan - Realignment related)

Old
03-10-2013, 01:59 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Daylight Savings: Indiana should be on CT (as should Michigan - Realignment related)

As we enter daylight savings tonight, I thought this article was worth mentioning.

Realize that a big part of the controversy of this realignment is due to the ridiculous laws that put Detroit on New York's time instead of Chicago's. FWIW, the state of Alabama sits directly south of Michigan and is fully in the Central time zone.

http://www.indystar.com/comments/art...d-Central-Time

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:29 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 500
most timezone arguments i've seen seem to focus on abolishing the mountain timezone, like this: http://www.newtimezones.com/pdfs/rev..._zones_map.pdf

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:51 AM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
most timezone arguments i've seen seem to focus on abolishing the mountain timezone, like this: http://www.newtimezones.com/pdfs/rev..._zones_map.pdf
Whoever came up with that is nuts. Having every North American time zone offset in half hours from GMT.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:21 AM
boredmale

Thunder Bay is way farther West then Detroit and we are on Eastern Time(because we want to be in line with Toronto). I believe we are roughly due north of Madison, WI which is west of Chicago

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:56 AM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
As we enter daylight savings tonight, I thought this article was worth mentioning.

Realize that a big part of the controversy of this realignment is due to the ridiculous laws that put Detroit on New York's time instead of Chicago's. FWIW, the state of Alabama sits directly south of Michigan and is fully in the Central time zone.

http://www.indystar.com/comments/art...d-Central-Time
No thanks. I'll keep my daylight until close to 10 pm in the summer.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Keep the times zones as it is please. No need to go to -5.5.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:46 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Arizona. Win.

03-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Up until maybe 7 years ago Indiana didn't even recognize DST.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:27 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
No thanks. I'll keep my daylight until close to 10 pm in the summer.
Can't argue with you there. Summer visits to Bloomington were pretty incredible due to that reason.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
We're already ignored on mainstream television. "Up next - Crappy Reality TV at 10pm Eastern, 9pm Central, 7pm Pacific"!

So now, let's eliminate us altogether? Is this an East Coast guilt thing?

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

You can pry EST from my cold, dead hands. As most of Michigan's trade is done with Ontario, Ohio and the East Coast, moving to Central Time so things can look more neat geographically would be ridiculous.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Up until maybe 7 years ago Indiana didn't even recognize DST.
Parts of the state still don't. I can leave Evansville at 9 p.m. and arrive at my mom-in-law's house in Vincennes at 9 p.m. I got high once and did that, and it was like time travel.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

DST should be abolished.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:11 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
DST should be abolished.
Why? I think it's great and it's done to save energy.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Why? I think it's great and it's done to save energy.
The majority of studies show that supposed energy saving benefits of DST are either non-existent or incredibly small (along the lines of a 0.5% reduction in electricity usage). That's just a convenient cover story that gets trotted out to distract from the reality that the whole thing is driven by the retail sector. That's not to say it's a big economic plus, though, because the act of changing the clock itself results in significant one day losses (estimated into the billions). There have also been studies suggesting it negatively impacts sleep patterns, and that the increased sunlight doesn't actually lead to more people exercising.

If, like summer break from schools, it was an anachronism that had become so ingrained in our culture that getting rid of it would be near impossible, that'd be one thing. But I've yet to meet a single person in real life who didn't view the act of springing forward or falling back as a giant waste of time.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:42 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

I wouldn't call the ability to play softball until 8:30 instead of 7:30 in the summer 'a giant waste of time'. But what do I know.

As for the 1 day losses, I don't understand how a clock change in the middle of the night on a SUNDAY creates losses in the billions. I mean...it's a Sunday.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

yeah because it's not like it has any effect on travel, shipping, the service industry or anything else that has to operate 24/7 and is therefore effected by 23 and 25 hour days showing up in the middle of nowhere and the aforementioned sleep issues that result from it.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:50 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Perhaps northern Michigan, but not southern Michigan; so Detroit's TZ wouldn't change. Such a change would also mean that the CTZ should take a bigger chunk of Ontario as well.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:51 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
I wouldn't call the ability to play softball until 8:30 instead of 7:30 in the summer 'a giant waste of time'. But what do I know.

As for the 1 day losses, I don't understand how a clock change in the middle of the night on a SUNDAY creates losses in the billions. I mean...it's a Sunday.
Look at how stupid this article is. Metro Detroit will lose $9 mil today

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/S...f/-/index.html

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:56 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Look at how stupid this article is. Metro Detroit will lose $9 mil today

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/S...f/-/index.html

Quote:
For Detroit the estimated costs due to DST are:

$8,639,181.36 due to an increase incidence of heart attacks

$1,468.83 due to increased workplace injuries (in construction and mining)

$628,096.62 due to increased cyberloafing at the office

This is great, good find.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Dado

vCash:
My feelings on the subject...

Old
03-10-2013, 02:09 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The majority of studies show that supposed energy saving benefits of DST are either non-existent or incredibly small (along the lines of a 0.5% reduction in electricity usage). That's just a convenient cover story that gets trotted out to distract from the reality that the whole thing is driven by the retail sector. That's not to say it's a big economic plus, though, because the act of changing the clock itself results in significant one day losses (estimated into the billions). There have also been studies suggesting it negatively impacts sleep patterns, and that the increased sunlight doesn't actually lead to more people exercising.

If, like summer break from schools, it was an anachronism that had become so ingrained in our culture that getting rid of it would be near impossible, that'd be one thing. But I've yet to meet a single person in real life who didn't view the act of springing forward or falling back as a giant waste of time.
Conspiracy.

How does the retail sector affect my energy consumption? I've lived in a tropical country near the equator, where the sun goes up at 5:30 - 6:00 in the morning and sets the same hour at night, and the sun directly on top of you at noon, so no need for DST. Moving to Canada, I find DST useful, especially when the sun in the winter time is short, it adds an extra hour of light. In the summer, it's longer so you wouldn't have daylight at 11pm. If you know winter is very desolate, especially in Canada. Daylight brings in more happiness I guess, 'cause I find it really downgrading to know the sun will set 4:30 in the afternoon in the winter, what more 3:30? Until you live more northern you wouldn't really appreciate DST.

Sleeping patterns is just an excuse.
It's not like teens don't stay up late at night, or adults don't work shifts. Unless you have a 9-5 job everyday for the rest of your life, you know little things like partying, studying, or working extra shifts also affect your sleeping patterns. Not to mention migrating to another country and the first thing you do is arrange your sleeping patterns, some people can take months to arrange it. Good thing for me I got a week to arrange it.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Until you live more northern you wouldn't really appreciate DST.
Is Canada far enough North? Because that's where I live and, yeah, I consider it a complete waste of effort.

The number of hours of light remain exactly the same. DST does not "adds an extra hour of light".

Old
03-10-2013, 02:24 PM
MoreOrr
B4

The first is a map with a rough estimate of current TZs, the second perhaps might be an improvement. The problem is that imagine an CTZ/ETZ split along the Illinois-Indiana border... you'd basically be splitting part of Chicago's metro area into 2 Time Zones. That would likely be an issue in other places as well.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:28 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Is Canada far enough North? Because that's where I live and, yeah, I consider it a complete waste of effort.

The number of hours of light remain exactly the same. DST does not "adds an extra hour of light".
In reality it doesn't because the sun isn't staying up for an extra hour, but pushing it back makes the use of electricity less, in my experience it is useful especially in the winter time. You can say it does little to save energy, but it's not just the tangibles that you can measure that makes DST useful, like psychologically, 3:30pm isn't a good time for the sun to set, especially for someone who is used to constant time of sunset. There are more than a million of intangibles that you can do to spend that hour. It isn't just because it affects your body clock or it doesn't save significant energy, but the ways you can actually do around DST is what's important.

Computers can only measure things, but humans dictate what to measure.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote