HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Battlefield 4 (10/29/13)

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
So they are still really pushing Origin huh? I ****ing hope they also offer it up on Steam. Maybe the CEO will realize that Origin isn't doing **** for EA?

Old
03-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Origin is fine but I wish they'd get rid of Featured Today. It's so annoying to have that pop up every time I start up my computer and run a EA product. I don't care about most of your featured deals today. I just want to play.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I don't care about Origin as much either, but would still rather have Steam. I'm sure that EA is not making good money on Origin alone.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
The original BC wasn't very much like CoD, but BC2's campaign became more CoD-like, and BF3 turned into an essentially CoD singleplayer.
That might be true, i never played BC 2, but BC1 has one of the greatest SP campaigns i have ever played in a SP game and should be what all BF games strive to be in their SP mode.

The maps were large, tons of secrets to explore, weapons to find and you could utilize many diffrent tactics and approach enemeys in diffrent way. Too many buildings to see your enemeys? Just level the place with RPGs! To heavily guarded front? Take a tank and rush through it like a boss! Or go arouand and attack the base from a diffrent angle. Or maybe snipe them from afar? The humor and storyline were a nice touch too.

BF3 had none of that. You could not even destroy an office wall and go to your objective through a diffrent route.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Will admit that Battlefield Bad Company was more focused on humor while Battlefield 3's Single player campaign was more serious in nature. But you have to remember, the single player is insignificant compared to the multiplayer experience. I can't stress enough how important that is. All the people are online. All the discussion and all the rage can be found online.

For instance, I go into a packed 64 player game at 10 AM today and just say "Who excited about BF4" and then the server starts talking about "Battlefield 3.5"

That in itself is worth the price

Old
03-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
The only thing that I like about origin is that my download speeds are usually twice that of Steams. However, my disconnections are 10 times more on origin.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:56 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I don't care about Origin as much either, but would still rather have Steam. I'm sure that EA is not making good money on Origin alone.
They might make more money with Origin. They almost certainly would seem to from what I can see. Steam doesn't get a cut which is quite substantial most of the time.
DLC, no cut to Valve. Micro transaction, no cut to valve. Expansion pack, no cut to valve.

Notch said that's a 30% hit, I don't know if it's still 30% or if it's even the same for every arrangement. But it's probably pretty close to that. For a random indie somewhere, yeah the Steam exposure + 30% off the top is worth it. But EA is such a big name that will people go there regardless.

It adds up over time and I'm sure that far less people actually won't play a game that has origin then says they won't.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:17 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I've never had any problem at all with 64 player maps and conquest, rush, ctf, et cetera.
You are a career .5 K : D, which smacks of someone just happy to be playing the game, so you'd be last person I'd ask for an opinion on balance. I didn't really want to go there, but if you are going to praise 64 player maps clearly designed for console player counts, it has to be said. Anyone who has played 64 player metro can attest to this.

The PS3 was the lead platform, and that's straight from DICE. That's why the PS3 gets all the content early. It's also why the game is geared towards consoles and not the PC. For many of us who view the Battlefield name as a PC-centric title, it was disappointing. I thought that they would continue to use Bad Company as the console title and keep Battlefield separate, but no. It didn't help that they praised the PC until about 2 weeks before release before changing to talk up the PS3.

The pre-order is $70 and they don't even know what kind of content or DLC they are going to have for you in exchange for that premium. If that doesn't scream "get this **** out the door asap" to you I don't know what will. At least for 3 they gave the fans Back to Karkand. Also, they plan on charging $70 for PC games from now on, as that is the price new console games will cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
They might make more money with Origin. They almost certainly would seem to from what I can see. Steam doesn't get a cut which is quite substantial most of the time.
DLC, no cut to Valve. Micro transaction, no cut to valve. Expansion pack, no cut to valve.
EA didn't want to pay the 30% on DLC, which is what spurred the divorce. But even with that cut, you still have access to a massive install base and gain face with the fans who hate Origin. Would Origin exist without EA exclusives? No. So they are stuck now.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:18 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
You are a career .5 K, which smacks of someone just happy to be playing the game, so you'd be last person I'd ask for an opinion on balance. I didn't really want to go there, but if you are going to praise 64 player maps clearly designed for console player counts, it has to be said. Anyone who has played 64 player metro can attest to this.

The PS3 was the lead platform, and that's straight from DICE. That's why the PS3 gets all the content early. It's also why the game is geared towards consoles and not the PC. For many of us who view the Battlefield name as a PC-centric title, it was disappointing. I thought that they would continue to use Bad Company as the console title and keep Battlefield separate, but no. It didn't help that they praised the PC until about 2 weeks before release before changing to talk up the PS3.

The pre-order is $70 and they don't even know what kind of content or DLC they are going to have for you in exchange for that premium. If that doesn't scream "get this **** out the door asap" to you I don't know what will. At least for 3 they gave the fans Back to Karkand. Also, they plan on charging $70 for PC games from now on, as that is the price new console games will cost.
What is your career KD?

Old
03-27-2013, 06:20 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
What is your career KD?

Quote:
Category Rank Top Value
Kill / Death ratio 10 740 1% 2.9343
Win / Loss ratio 9 347 1% 2.7122
Score per minute 9 293 1% 978.844
Kills per minute 14 388 2% 1.970
Ranking score 31 694 4% 67312
Skill 32 075 4% 802

Old
03-27-2013, 06:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

1.39 for me. About 100 less hours than you. The only thing I have on you is accuracy. Actually, I have more than twice as many knife kills . But damn dude...

Link

PS - I'm a person that likes to use the classes evenly.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:31 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
1.39 for me. About 100 less hours than you. The only thing I have on you is accuracy.
A lot of players refuse to do this, but I have no problem dumping a clip into a piece of cover to pin someone down. Basically all I did when playing support. I mean.. that's their damn job. The guys I use to scrim with and whatnot all sport 22%+ because they play only assault and only shoot what they can hit.

Quote:
Actually, I have more than twice as many knife kills . But damn dude...
My philosophy is that a knife kill is usually wasted time. Never knife someone if they are shooting, because they are probably trying to kill one of your teammates. Just shoot them in the back and move on.

Quote:
PS - I'm a person that likes to use the classes evenly.
I can't stand recon. I feel like it needs a boost, but not in rifle damage. Just utility. Giving up sensor balls for the MAV was a downgrade IMO. They've got auto-spotting drones in Warfighter, which could be a cool idea. There's actually a lot of stuff in Warfighter that id like to see in Battlefield 4, like defensive team buffs.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Patchey*

Knifing should always be a very last resort, except for when you finally flank those useless snipers 500 m from the objective.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:51 PM
chasespace

So the gameplay looks pretty, some destruction. Hope it gets back to BC2 levels. Can't speak for how it actually plays until they let us play it.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:54 PM
zoomzoom

you guys think its worth it to preorder BF4 deluxe edition?

Old
03-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin9110 View Post
you guys think its worth it to preorder BF4 deluxe edition?
Ever since the SimCity fiasco, no.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
You are a career .5 K : D, which smacks of someone just happy to be playing the game, so you'd be last person I'd ask for an opinion on balance. I didn't really want to go there, but if you are going to praise 64 player maps clearly designed for console player counts, it has to be said. Anyone who has played 64 player metro can attest to this.

EA didn't want to pay the 30% on DLC, which is what spurred the divorce. But even with that cut, you still have access to a massive install base and gain face with the fans who hate Origin. Would Origin exist without EA exclusives? No. So they are stuck now.
But I still play the game

Besides, the newer modes focus more on teamwork and getting points rather than KD.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

POLL
What are you looking forward to the most in Battlefield 4?
The single player campaign10%
Multiplayer90%

Old
03-27-2013, 09:58 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
POLL
What are you looking forward to the most in Battlefield 4?
The single player campaign10%
Multiplayer90%
We understand that BF is all about MP. We're saying why invest so much time into a SP campaign when you could invest more heavily in the MP mode that makes your game so damned popular? The answer is simply that EA/DICE want to compete with CoD, which is a series that has historically balanced its SP and MP experience.

03-27-2013, 10:14 PM
seafoam
Surface Envy

vCash: 974
Dragging another series on too long. That is the problem with video games today.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:56 PM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Dragging another series on too long. That is the problem with video games today.
Not IMO. It's cross platform design. BF was a great hybrid FPS for PC that had the sky as the limit, and was dragged down. I was driving Battleships, Aircraft Carriers, and submarines with the first installment and where are we now? Running down funnels because "Little Jimmy Zero Attention Span", has a larger percentage of expendable cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX
My philosophy is that a knife kill is usually wasted time. Never knife someone if they are shooting, because they are probably trying to kill one of your teammates. Just shoot them in the back and move on.
Agreed. The knife has always been a gimmick IMO. With the clip capacities, mag counts, and mag change speed, who needs a knife? I had 2 knife kills in 2000+ hours of BF2...... LOL.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
What are they supposed to do?

"We've already made enough highly regarded AAA titles in this series. Lets call it quits"

That's silly.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:11 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
We understand that BF is all about MP. We're saying why invest so much time into a SP campaign when you could invest more heavily in the MP mode that makes your game so damned popular? The answer is simply that EA/DICE want to compete with CoD, which is a series that has historically balanced its SP and MP experience.
They invest plenty of time into the MP experience, though, and the MP experience is pretty damn fun, save for a few glitches with Battlelog.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Everlasting

This entire "But they do good things too... so it does not matter if they **** up the game attitude" which some people have about BF is disgusting. Some people...

Old
03-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
This entire "But they do good things too... so it does not matter if they **** up the game attitude" which some people have about BF is disgusting. Some people...
What's wrong with the multiplayer game?

Other than team balance and Battlelog, there really isn't much to complain about unless you really want to get picky.

You got many maps to choose from. Sure, you can't mod maps. Sure, you can't make mods for Battlefield 3 like you could for 2. But there really isn't much to complain about if you can play the game.

If you don't like Battlefield 3, the best fix is to...play more Battlefield 3. And then, if you still don't like it...play it some more.

Closed Thread