HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Battlefield 4 (10/29/13)

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Didnt like BF3 that much but that trailer though. That caught my interest.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:07 PM
RussianRifle27

vCash: 500
BC2 was vastly superior to BF3. Sure this one looks pretty but if it's the same as BF3 with some minor changes here and there, I won't get it.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:47 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Doesn't look any different than BF3.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Never said anything bad about the MP, expect the _small amount of maps_. Yes IX, 9 maps is not ALOT.

Also, EA have forced DICE to work on DLC 6 months before the game is out.

Proof

Thats right, EA is taking content away from the game and are selling it as DLC. MP is already started to look awful for BF4

Old
03-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Was talking with some of my associates while playing Battlefield 3 at 10 AM this morning and they said they'd wait for BF4 Premium to come out

So it's unlikely that I will jump into the scrum right away despite having a high-end computer which could run Battlefield 4 easily

Old
03-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Never said anything bad about the MP, expect the _small amount of maps_. Yes IX, 9 maps is not ALOT.

Also, EA have forced DICE to work on DLC 6 months before the game is out.

Proof

Thats right, EA is taking content away from the game and are selling it as DLC. MP is already started to look awful for BF4
It's no different from when they teased Back to Karkand with BF3. I have no problem with this, as long as the dlc isn't released day 1.

Makes a lot of fair points.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchey View Post
I dont mind that EA takes away content from the game and sell it as "extra content" so i can spend even more money on it then i should, as long as it's not on day 1.
Your opinion is wrong.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
The problem here is that rival is missing the elephant in the room. It's not just that they are marketing the game towards Call of Duty players. That's bad enough, when you really sit down and think about it. But it's the fact that they are shaping the game and developing it in such a way as to best appeal to that crowd, while still pretending core Battlefield fans matter. As I said before; they don't give a **** what 'fanbase' you come from, they want your money and that sale.

What we end up with is two game series that do nothing but pander to this always shifting demographic. By definition, the games end up being less than what they could have been, had they built the game without these crowds in mind. Developers are not magicians and they cannot hit a moving target. Moving into a revenue sweetspot might get you a quick boost in sales, but you can just as easily piss off an equal number of customers. These two series are a great example of how corporations think and act. These are not game companies. They are amoral corporations that want the most amount of revenue possible. Other companies, mainly privately held ones, do not seek out that revenue with such fervor and are fully capable of making a game that fits 100% with their vision.

Battlefield 3 is a financial success not because it's a great game that was built to a vision that stands on its own. It's a financial success because it largely aped the CoD formula, actively marketed towards that group and took no risks. For some of you, it doesn't matter. It hits the sweet spot and you find it fun. Fine. But some of us are now nowhere near that sweet spot and it irks us to see the game changed in such a way. I used to be able to count on teamwork in Battlefield. Now it's a bunch of ******* kids who run around the map trying to quickscope, completely ignoring the objectives. Selling your soul has a price.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:32 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

XX you bring up some valued points.

I play Battlefield is because (1) It's fun (2) It's not like CoD.

I used to play Halo competitively and not to brag, but I was pretty damn good at it. The problem was I lost the fun factor for the game and even though rarely play it now and on a more casual level now, it's "feeling" for me isn't what it was compared back to the Halo 2 days before competitiveness.

I also admit I am not a good Battlefield player; I would consider myself average. Going back I played this game from the first game because it was extremely fun and still love it considering my average ability, but once you make a game for competitiveness the fun factor will ultimately leave and that is the feeling I am getting from EA with all these expansion packs coming out and BF4 being released later this year.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:37 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Now Battlefield 3 after the update and release of all these expansion packs feels like CoD with vehicles. One release why I stick with the original maps, because the people who play them are still team base.

Also this game was about team work and having a full chopper of troops flying into the enemies base and dropping them off and providing covering fire. Now it's all about camping for the jet or attack helicopter and try to get 20+ kills with it.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Now Battlefield 3 after the update and release of all these expansion packs feels like CoD with vehicles. One release why I stick with the original maps, because the people who play them are still team base.

Also this game was about team work and having a full chopper of troops flying into the enemies base and dropping them off and providing covering fire. Now it's all about camping for the jet or attack helicopter and try to get 20+ kills with it.
I don't know, some of the most teamwork orientated games I've had have been on Aftermath and Back to Karkand.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:54 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I don't know, some of the most teamwork orientated games I've had have been on Aftermath and Back to Karkand.
I was stating that I noticed that the old BF players play the original maps while the CoD players play the new maps. I do agree with Back to Kirkland, I have had some epic games on that.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Thread on ****** defending BF3 as a strong solid game.

Also, it should be noted that BF4 contains jet skis. Jet Skis.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:37 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:

CTF is very team-oriented, I find.

But yeah, there have been a few games I've noticed guys with Mics talking about how great it was that they switched from CoD to BF3, while spending the whole game in the helicopter. Mind you, they were at least good at piloting and kept most of my team running around from cover to cover while completely ignoring the objectives.

03-28-2013, 10:47 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
It's no different from when they teased Back to Karkand with BF3. I have no problem with this, as long as the dlc isn't released day 1.

So based on this, it sounds like he was told BF4's SP is going back toward BC/BC2 style open environments. If true, it's a good development to bring the game back to its roots a little. Unless he's misspeaking?

Anyway. My problem isn't with trying to appeal to the CoD demographic so much as it is with the limited base maps that you have to supplement with Premium DLC (which essentially costs as much as another AAA game).

Old
03-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Thread on ****** defending BF3 as a strong solid game.
I was just reading that. It's bang on.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
So based on this, it sounds like he was told BF4's SP is going back toward BC/BC2 style open environments. If true, it's a good development to bring the game back to its roots a little. Unless he's misspeaking?

Anyway. My problem isn't with trying to appeal to the CoD demographic so much as it is with the limited base maps that you have to supplement with Premium DLC (which essentially costs as much as another AAA game).
I read that in an interview yesterday too. It was an interview with dice. Just wait a little...

Quote:
So looking at single-player, we felt we were walking down the wrong path. We did some exploration when it came to narrative and epic moments and recreating Battlefield moments in a narrative way, but there was some exploration for us when it came to the actual gameplay.

What is it you're doing in multiplayer that you love? We have the freedom of choice. You are part of the action. You are part of these Battlefield moments. So, twisting that around and then turning that into, what is that in single-player? Opening up for choice. Opening up for more destruction, because we dialed it down a bit in BF3 from where it should have been. Dialing those things back up again to where they should be, and then integrating the narrative into the Battlefield moments
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...hnology-behind

Seems promising. If the SP is like BC i will be very excited.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:09 AM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Your opinion is wrong.
Nope.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:32 AM
XX
... Waiting

Nothing about that SP footage conveyed BC2 style action to me. It's still combat on rails. If you want open, look at what Farcry 3 did with taking the outposts. Why can't they adopt something similar in scale and freedom? The heart of Battlefield is finding the best way to complete an objective. Forcing you down a linear path, even if slightly wider than last time, isn't going to cut it.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

As good as BF3 is, there's still that aspect of massive team imbalance which plagues the game and really makes it difficult to play. It was so bad today I had to quit. I can't do everything myself. I can't be the only one defending the flag. Okay? I leave the flag for one second and they come in, and take the flag UNCONTESTED for a score with 2 minutes to go. You can't let that happen.

CTF is basically everyone camping at base. Because if you leave the base, you'll just be subjected to furious mines all over, javs everywhere, and rampant snipers.

The 2 things I want the most from Battlefield 4 are fixes to Battlelog, so all servers actually show up. Also fix the damn team imbalance because I'm not Rambo or James Bond. I can't be the only one helping the team while the rest of them are neglecting to defend our most prized objective.

Last edited by Francesa: 03-29-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Osprey

Quote:

I didn't like the trailer much, since it contained a lot of close-quarters action and scripted events, but this video I do like. I assume that this is early BF4 gameplay [EDIT: Never mind. CanadianHockey says that it's BF3: End Game]. I like it a lot better because it actually looks a bit like classic BF gameplay. Here's hoping that this sort of thing is more the rule than the exception. I can do with as little corridor running and urban blight warfare as possible, thank you. Return BF to large, open spaces like this and I'll be very happy.

Quote:

To be fair, Battlefield has always had people who camp for aircraft and spend the entire round in nothing but aircraft. Even Battlefield 1942, in 2002, had that. It's just the way that it is. The way that the series has always dealt with it, though, is that accomplishing objectives is worth a lot more than kills, so you could spend the entire round on the ground, running around capturing flags, and have a higher score than the guy who spends the whole round in the air, even though you have half the kills as him. That kind of balance has always been BF's strong suit. Being selfish in BF doesn't usually help your score as much as teamwork. Maybe that changed in BF3--I don't know, as I haven't played it--but, if it did, it's a problem more with the game's balance and player tendencies, since you can discourage behavior with good game balance.

Last edited by Osprey: 03-29-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 07:15 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I didn't like the trailer much, since it contained a lot of close-quarters action and scripted events, but this video I do like. I assume that this is early BF4 gameplay. I like it a lot better because it actually looks a bit like classic BF gameplay. Here's hoping that this sort of thing is more the rule than the exception. I can do with as little corridor running and urban blight warfare as possible, thank you. Return BF to large, open spaces like this and I'll be very happy.
That's from BF3's last multiplayer expansion pack, End Game.

Quote:
To be fair, Battlefield has always had people who camp for aircraft and spend the entire round in nothing but aircraft. Even Battlefield 1942, in 2002, had that. It's just the way that it is. The way that the series has always dealt with it, though, is that accomplishing objectives is worth a lot more than kills, so you could spend the entire round on the ground, running around capturing flags, and have a higher score than the guy who spends the whole round in the air, even though you have half the kills as him. That kind of balance has always been BF's strong suit. Being selfish in BF doesn't usually help your score as much as teamwork. Maybe that changed in BF3--I don't know, as I haven't played it--but, if it did, it's a problem more with the game's balance and player tendencies, since you can discourage behavior with good game balance.
BF3 is still balanced toward playing the objective in terms of score.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:37 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
The playerbase isn't. And servers that kick players for not playing the objective are few and far between. Hell, servers with admins on to kick obvious hackers and griefers are rare too.

I'd like to see Battlefield 4 rip the gun customization system straight from Warfighter. Maybe even the buddy system too. The early killstreaks in that game are also something I'd like to see. You generally get something that falls in line with your class role and isn't obnoxiously overpowered. For instance, an engineer that gets enough team score (roughly equivalent to 4-5 kills) could pull out the M32 6 shot launcher from the gameplay video. Warfighter also lets you take a defensive killstreak instead, like a smoke barrage or replenishing your buddies ammo. I'd love to see something like that.

Too often, things devolve into a stalemate that is impossible for uncoordinated teams to break through. A few good players on defense can put up a wall at the first set of MCOMs that the offense just can't get through. I've been a part of many ugly spawn camps on maps like Metro and Bazaar. Like ixc said, you can be an all-star but the weight of numbers eventually crushes you. I absolutely hate Damavand for this. Every round, without fail, involves most of my team camping in the hills trying to snipe. This does nothing. Built in class limits would be nice. Also, assault is way OP if you know what you are doing. You get the best guns, can self-heal and revive teammates. Medics should have carbines and likely be a separate class.

Another idea from Warfighter: deployed LMGs have unlimited ammo. I'd like to see this explored. It sounds OP as ****, but any decent player can pick off a mounted gun if he has a flank, a launcher or a nade. That's before you factor in all the snipers running around. I feel like this would encourage support players to lock down areas, as they were designed to do, rather than rambo-ing forward. Also another great idea from Warfighter; any player can walk up and resupply (and heal) from a support. You could probably remove the heal part and give that to the medic. No pack drop necessary, players just tag you and hold E.

It would help avoid this (nsfw)

Old
03-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Osprey

Quote:
That's from BF3's last multiplayer expansion pack, End Game.
Ah, OK. Thanks. That explains the lack of the environmental effects like weather, smoke and dust that I expected to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey
Oh, good. I wonder why I've heard mostly complaints about people not choosing teamwork, then. Maybe it comes more from people playing the console versions and not being very familiar with the Battlefield series or the teamwork concept.

Last edited by Osprey: 03-29-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Too many children play and don't follow objective

Again I'm the only one who cares about defending the flag

Rest of the team just drops mines and leaves

Then when I'm chasing the flag carrier and I die, they score because no one else is going after him, they're all at their base getting blown up or getting killed by javelins

That's why I don't care when people point out my KD ratio. Battlefield stopped being about KD ratio a long time ago. In fact, since 2, it's been about teamwork and reviving teammates, or completing objectives. It's not about KD anymore. This isn't Battlefield 1942.

More people need to embrace the team concept and cover my damn back, because I can't do everything myself.

Closed Thread