HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Importance of the Illusion of Discipline

Old
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
canadianmagpie

vCash: 750
The Importance of the Illusion of Discipline

Ok, I'm a Canuck fan and will find it laughable if Edler gets suspended for the hit on Smith. So I'm sure some people will think it's due to this that I'm bringing it up but I'm interested in what others think about the following.

Today we learned that Alex Edler will face a phone hearing today while Rick Nash does not. A lot of the posts in the Nash-Kopecky headshot thread find this decision bemusing.

Should the NHL now adopt that every hit to the head will require a phone hearing with the league? Even if the hit is accidental and no injury was on the play, the player will still have to explain how the hit happened. That way, if a player keeps on having hearings with the league, it will become more apparent that a player may not be targeting the head accidentally and it becomes easier for the league to pinpoint which players it needs to take supplementary discipline against.

If this was adopted, then Rick Nash would have a hearing with the league and even if there was no supplementary discipline, at least there was the illusion that Nash could have potentially been suspended which would have soften some of the posters reactions.

canadianmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:32 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

vCash: 500
Edler should be suspended at least 1 game, he tackled a goalie pretty much.

However Nash should be suspended 3-4 games, his hit was disgusting and dirty. The inconsistency shown by Shanahan is appalling. Truly is disgusting.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:43 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I thought we were over this when Colin Campbell got canned. Guess not.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:46 PM
missingchicklet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I thought we were over this when Colin Campbell got canned. Guess not.
Heh, I thought the same thing. I expected big things from Shanny. While being better than Campbell, Shanny has made quite a few questionable decisions that are Campbell-esque.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:49 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmagpie View Post
Ok, I'm a Canuck fan and will find it laughable if Edler gets suspended for the hit on Smith. So I'm sure some people will think it's due to this that I'm bringing it up but I'm interested in what others think about the following.

Today we learned that Alex Edler will face a phone hearing today while Rick Nash does not. A lot of the posts in the Nash-Kopecky headshot thread find this decision bemusing.

Should the NHL now adopt that every hit to the head will require a phone hearing with the league? Even if the hit is accidental and no injury was on the play, the player will still have to explain how the hit happened. That way, if a player keeps on having hearings with the league, it will become more apparent that a player may not be targeting the head accidentally and it becomes easier for the league to pinpoint which players it needs to take supplementary discipline against.

If this was adopted, then Rick Nash would have a hearing with the league and even if there was no supplementary discipline, at least there was the illusion that Nash could have potentially been suspended which would have soften some of the posters reactions.
Nash got the Kronwal treatment, simple as that.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Ryp37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Nash got the Kronwal treatment, simple as that.
Edlers going to get a fine that's it

Last edited by spiny norman: 03-22-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: not needed
Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
tsanuri

I think the big problem is that if you get a hearing your going to be suspended. And how much time does it take to have a phone hearing and make the call. Even if there is nothing extra done. It does look better. But in high profile cases such as this involving a big name player I think they need to do a video explaining why they didn't feel it came to the level of a suspension. I know I heard that on the radio today analysts asking for it so they could better explain it to fans.
So yes I do think it is important to have the appearance of impropriety.

tsanuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Langdon Alger*

If the NHL wanted the standard of discipline to change, then it would have by now. Get used to this - it's not going to change anytime soon.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:25 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
If the NHL wanted the standard of discipline to change, then it would have by now. Get used to this - it's not going to change anytime soon.
Shanny cant be taken seriously after he gave out a 5 game suspension for an incident that cost a franchise a cup.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Shanny cant be taken seriously after he gave out a 5 game suspension for an incident that cost a franchise a cup.
Which incident was that?

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Oni

The individual providing this type of discipline and even overseeing the referees should not be responsible to the NHL during their terms.

The idea of impartiality is hardly a new one and yet sports leagues across the world don't seem to understand this point.

With social media, electronic information and increased scrutiny, it is pretty clear that these leagues have got major issues no different than you would find in any organization in the world (otherwise known as corruption and office politics). Why they think they can do this type of supervision in-house is mind boggling.

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

To the posters suggesting that they release a video explaining why someone wasn't suspended.

Do you really think the NHL intends to release a video that states "Rick Nash is a star player and as such, will not be suspended as per subsection 48(2.1)(b)"?

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote