HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues/Chicago Wolves Enter 3 Year Agreement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2013, 07:49 PM
  #1
tedgruber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
St. Louis Blues/Chicago Wolves Enter 3 Year Agreement

Confirmed by the Chicago Wolves Twitter account. Press release to follow.

tedgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:59 PM
  #2
ManyIdeas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 50
Someone cliff notes why I should be angry with this.

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:02 PM
  #3
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
Someone cliff notes why I should be angry with this.
According to some, the Chicago Wolves have a winning history as an organization, and they tend to use AHL veterans over young guys with NHL potential.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:05 PM
  #4
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 34,968
vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
According to some, the Chicago Wolves have a winning history as an organization, and they tend to use AHL veterans over young guys with NHL potential.
Pretty much. The Wolves are a win first, second, and third, develop prospects fourth type of organization.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
  #5
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,697
vCash: 130
I won't root for them because I don't root for Chicago teams on principle.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
  #6
tedgruber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I won't root for them because I don't root for Chicago teams on principle.
They play in Rosemont if that helps?

tedgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:12 PM
  #7
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Pretty much. The Wolves are a win first, second, and third, develop prospects fourth type of organization.
Crap.

This is not what the blues need. Blues have many prospects and need to develop!

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:12 PM
  #8
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,697
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgruber View Post
They play in Rosemont if that helps?
Nope. I have a hard enough time rooting for Rattie with that stupid jersey that he wears lol.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:22 PM
  #9
aparch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Pretty much. The Wolves are a win first, second, and third, develop prospects fourth type of organization.
Unlike the Blackhawks who use the Icehogs as a "make player X into what we want him to be, even if it's not what he's ever done before, and we don't care if you make the 0-16 Dolphins look competitive..."

I'd rather have players be around a winning culture than be complacent with "we're losing, but it's the moral victories that count."

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:25 PM
  #10
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I won't root for them because I don't root for Chicago teams on principle.
I like your commitment.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:28 PM
  #11
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,697
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I like your commitment.
Even though we are out of the Big 12, I still root for whoever plays Kansas lol.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:31 PM
  #12
nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 50
Terrible organization from a developmental perspective.

Good luck dealing with them.
At least you don't have to deal with their incompetent coaching staff. *facepalm*

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:38 PM
  #13
aparch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r View Post
Terrible organization from a developmental perspective.

Good luck dealing with them.
At least you don't have to deal with their incompetent coaching staff. *facepalm*
What era "incompetent coaching staff?" The Turner Cup/Calder Cup winning John Anderson Days? The embarrassing Don Granato days? The Don Lever debacle? Or the CANUCKS hired Arniel/Folligno coaches?

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:43 PM
  #14
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 34,968
vCash: 5113
Yeah, the Wolves have usually had great to exceptional coaching. Their focus is just on winning, whether that be with prospects or career minor leaguers.

Only point I made is that they don't have a development-oriented outlook. Not going to intentionally harm a prospect, but not going to go out of their way to develop them either.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
  #15
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
I'd rather have players be around a winning culture than be complacent with "we're losing, but it's the moral victories that count."
While there's something to say about being around a winning culture, I think there needs to be a balance. If the Wolves are so focused on winning that our prospects are sitting on the bench, in the press box or playing in the ECHL because the Wolves roster is loaded with AHL vets then that's not good for their development at all.

That said, I'm not going to pass judgment at this time. I'm sure more details will come out in the coming weeks.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
  #16
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
While there's something to say about being around a winning culture, I think there needs to be a balance. If the Wolves are so focused on winning that our prospects are sitting on the bench, in the press box or playing in the ECHL because the Wolves roster is loaded with AHL vets then that's not good for their development at all.

That said, I'm not going to pass judgment at this time. I'm sure more details will come out in the coming weeks.
I don't think Armstrong will allow Blues' prospects to play in The ECHL when they are ready to be AHL regulars. He'll loan extra players to other AHL teams if there is no room on The Wolves' roster.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:06 PM
  #17
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I don't think Armstrong will allow Blues' prospects to play in The ECHL when they are ready to be AHL regulars. He'll loan extra players to other AHL teams if there is no room on The Wolves' roster.
Only if there's room on other AHL teams and those teams are agreeable to taking on some of our players. It's possible but loan situations really aren't THAT common.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:06 PM
  #18
WolfKeeper
Registered User
 
WolfKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
You guys are aware that the AHL has a rule on veterans on game rosters, right? It's not like the Wolves played nothing but their own players and Canucks sat on the bench.

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a regular-season game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL, IHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games.

The fact is your prospects are going to be treated almost like an NHL team. They fly to cities over three hours away the night before a game. They have a practice facility that rivals some NHL facilities. The Blues will not have to worry at all about marketing, only hockey operations.

Again, time will tell how it works out, but I think it has the foundation of being a good partnership.

WolfKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:28 PM
  #19
tedgruber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
You guys are aware that the AHL has a rule on veterans on game rosters, right? It's not like the Wolves played nothing but their own players and Canucks sat on the bench.

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a regular-season game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL, IHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games.

The fact is your prospects are going to be treated almost like an NHL team. They fly to cities over three hours away the night before a game. They have a practice facility that rivals some NHL facilities. The Blues will not have to worry at all about marketing, only hockey operations.

Again, time will tell how it works out, but I think it has the foundation of being a good partnership.
This.

tedgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:15 AM
  #20
Hammman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
Best of luck with Chicago guys; hopefully it works out better for you than it did for the Canucks.

There was definitely a noticeable bias towards certain veteran players (such as Darren Haydar) in some situations, but we still don't really know if this was the coaching, the management, or both (though we're pretty sure Arniel sucks hard; so be happy he's not staying).

Quote:
"They're[sic] goal is to develop players into NHL players. Our goal is to win," said Mr. Gordon, pointing to issues ranging from playing time to who foots the bill for league fines for on-ice player misconduct.
That quote is a bit worrisome though.

Hammman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:52 AM
  #21
BlueAero
Registered User
 
BlueAero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Agree with prior comments about player development concerns but we'll just have to wait and see how that works out. My main problem is where they are located. Just can't get behind a Chicago team of any sort.

BlueAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM
  #22
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word
 
HANDZ 57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Lou 'n I'm proud
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 2238
It just seems a bit weird to me that our prospects are going to be developing "with the enemy" so to speak. I know that most prospects won't ever amount to NHL players but it just seems a bit odd to me. Although, anybody that starts to follow the wolves will have a better understanding of both Blues and Hawk prospects, so that may actually enhance the rivalry, knowing more about their prospects. It will be interesting for sure.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:54 AM
  #23
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 12,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Nope. I have a hard enough time rooting for Rattie with that stupid jersey that he wears lol.
The Wolves have a longstanding hatred towards the Blackhawks. It's like the White Sox.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
  #24
WolfKeeper
Registered User
 
WolfKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
The Wolves have a longstanding hatred towards the Blackhawks. It's like the White Sox.
No they don't.

If they did, several player loans would never have occurred when the Wolves were in the IHL. I highly doubt they would have hired Pat Foley as an announcer while he was out of work with the Hawks. I doubt the Hawks would have hired the Wolves' GM. I doubt there would have been a Wolves/Blackhawks alumni game for charity. I could go on.

WolfKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:02 PM
  #25
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,697
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
The Wolves have a longstanding hatred towards the Blackhawks. It's like the White Sox.
Still Chicago. I just hate Chicago, I don't discriminate between their teams.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.