HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
He's from Arizona too, right?
Phoenix, but he considers Bathurst, New Brunswick his home.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:54 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Phoenix
Thought so. It would all depend on their assessment of Schenn going forward, who is and has always been overrated.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Or just how good the forwards were defensively. And I've brought up Klesla before, as I think he's a better version of Jackman, but people have said he'd cost too much. Phoenix needs scoring forwards something fierce, but Perron should in no way be a centerpiece for Rusty. Yandle? You bet. Maybe a decent forward prospect and a 2nd/3rd?

Edit: Or, maybe a blockbuster. Perron and something small for Klesla, Gormley, and a pick/prospect?
I'd be willing to move Perron for Yandle, but it would depend on what we'd have to add. Perron for Klesla & Gormley? I'd do that as well. Short term and long term benefit from that.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Don't think there's any way the Coyotes give up two LHD in the same deal.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:57 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Beware the Wrath
Of a Gentle Man

Quote:
I agree with this. If Perron is going then Yandle has to be the guy, even though I don't think he is the best fit, but him and Pietrangelo would make a dynamic partnership.

I'd be willing to give up a 1st and a prospect for Klesla. All we need is a player similar to Jackman.
I think it might be time to revisit what sort of fit would benefit Pietrangelo and the team the most. There's an assumption among many that a defense-first guy would be the ideal target. Perhaps that's true.

Let me play Devil's advocate for a moment, though. Pietrangelo's biggest weaknesses have been untimely aggression in the offensive and neutral zones, and a tendency to try to beat too many people himself when moving the puck under pressure. A defensive partner isn't going to encourage Pietrangelo to change either of those tendencies, since he'll still be the primary puck mover and offensive force on the pairing.

Pairing him with another puck mover, however, would encourage him to change those things. With his partner jumping up in the play more often, he would be forced to be more conservative with his own choices. With his partner capable of being a threat with his puck moving, it reduces the pressure that defenses can apply to Pietrangelo when he's moving the puck himself.

Just some food for thought.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:03 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I think it might be time to revisit what sort of fit would benefit Pietrangelo and the team the most. There's an assumption among many that a defense-first guy would be the ideal target. Perhaps that's true.

Let me play Devil's advocate for a moment, though. Pietrangelo's biggest weaknesses have been untimely aggression in the offensive and neutral zones, and a tendency to try to beat too many people himself when moving the puck under pressure. A defensive partner isn't going to encourage Pietrangelo to change either of those tendencies, since he'll still be the primary puck mover and offensive force on the pairing.

Pairing him with another puck mover, however, would encourage him to change those things. With his partner jumping up in the play more often, he would be forced to be more conservative with his own choices. With his partner capable of being a threat with his puck moving, it reduces the pressure that defenses can apply to Pietrangelo when he's moving the puck himself.

Just some food for thought.
I actually agree, and would prefer a more 2-way partner, similar to how Colaiacovo was. I'd want someone a bit more physical than Yandle though. Even Bouwmeester hits more than Yandle.

I one of the few that thinks Bouwmeester would be a great fit, as long as Army can figure a way to make the salaries work.

At a minimum we need a Jackman, but ideally we get a 2-way guy.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Yandle is an elite skating puck mover that does his work in his own zone through positioning. I couldn't care less about the physical game if the guy can steal the puck and zing it out of the zone for an odd man rush. He also has a cannon for a shot.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:22 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

In the games I've seen, I've noticed Yandle is extremely good at getting the puck out of the zone. His breakout pass has to be one of the best in the game. I'm not an advanced stats guru, but if there is a stat that measures the effectiveness of a breakout pass, I'd be surprised if Yandle is not in the Top 10

Old
03-27-2013, 03:27 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Beware the Wrath
Of a Gentle Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
In the games I've seen, I've noticed Yandle is extremely good at getting the puck out of the zone. His breakout pass has to be one of the best in the game. I'm not an advanced stats guru, but if there is a stat that measures the effectiveness of a breakout pass, I'd be surprised if Yandle is not in the Top 10
There was a study I came across that did exactly that, and he was number two on the list behind Karlsson.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Beware the Wrath
Of a Gentle Man

Here is the study.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Weird that Giordano was one of the worst.

Unless we want to trade Berglund, then I don't think we'd get Yandle. Even at the draft we wouldn't do it because we'd be expecting way to much of Lehtera if he came over in that scenario.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:48 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Lol Huskins.

The only major surprises for me on that list were Giordano being one of the worst, and Grant Clitsome at 3rd best?! That was a very interesting read. Thank you for sharing.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I remember reading the Tippett quote a bit ago and wondering who the defenseman was that he traded.

Also on the bad exists list are Smid and Girardi.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
I one of the few that thinks Bouwmeester would be a great fit, as long as Army can figure a way to make the salaries work.
Depends...can Bouwmeester finally get the puck out when under heavy physical pressure? The Kings et. al. tend to cause that issue and those are the teams the Blues need to get by if they plan on going more than a round deep in the playoffs.

Plus, as you note the Blues are supposedly possibly going to have difficulty signing all their players this year, I see no way of making the salary work without giving up relatively major pieces.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:29 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Lol Huskins.

The only major surprises for me on that list were Giordano being one of the worst, and Grant Clitsome at 3rd best?! That was a very interesting read. Thank you for sharing.
I'm not surprised at Giordano actually... Watched him a few games including the Blues game and noticed that.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:48 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Depends...can Bouwmeester finally get the puck out when under heavy physical pressure? The Kings et. al. tend to cause that issue and those are the teams the Blues need to get by if they plan on going more than a round deep in the playoffs.

Plus, as you note the Blues are supposedly possibly going to have difficulty signing all their players this year, I see no way of making the salary work without giving up relatively major pieces.
I'm just saying ability wise, I like him as a fit. I doubt salaries fit, and going for Bouwmeester would mean we'd have to move a player making a few million.

I doubt we go after him, but I'd like us to go after a 2-way guy with size.

Yandle would be a good enough fit for me just because of how elite he is at what he does.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:49 PM
BadgersandBlues

Looks like Sekera more and more is the guy we want to pry out of Buffalo.

Only making 1.75 for the next 2 years AND he's a top player at moving the puck out.

Make it happen Army.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post

Only making 1.75 for the next 2 years AND he's a top player at moving the puck out.

Make it happen Army.
Makes sense if he was scouting Buffalo for St. Louis, but he might have been scouting those games just for Team Canada. Sekera is the only player on Buffalo's roster that fits what Army has said he is wanting to trade for.

Leopold and Regehr are both rentals, and that is not what we are going after.

I'd do Cole+ for Sekera.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Lifetimebluesfan

Imagine the blues' defense if they could somehow land both sekera and gio..

My guess would be:
Perron for Gio +
Cole and first or second for sekera

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Sobotka)-Berglund-Stewart
Amac-Steen-Tarasenko
Porter-Nichol-Reaves

Gio-Petro
Jax-Shatty
Sekera-Polak

Old
03-27-2013, 05:06 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I doubt Sekera is moved with that kind of cap hit. Buffalo needs those type of guys to stay under.

What if Phoenix would take Cole in exchange for Klesla? Not sure if we'd have to add much, and I'd prefer to keep Cole, but it would be an upgrade.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
I'm just saying ability wise, I like him as a fit. I doubt salaries fit, and going for Bouwmeester would mean we'd have to move a player making a few million.
My issue with Bouwmeester has long been his panic when really physically pressured. You can almost see his knees quake when Dustin Brown is bearing down on him...and he had this same issue when he was with Florida. I had thought perhaps he would grow out of it, but no dice thus far.

The other issue, of course, is it is not as if the Blues have bad contracts on the books. Trading off the players making the most money means giving up on a relatively promising player on a good contract.
Once again...damn thee Bill Laurie...

Old
03-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
My issue with Bouwmeester has long been his panic when really physically pressured. You can almost see his knees quake when Dustin Brown is bearing down on him...and he had this same issue when he was with Florida. I had thought perhaps he would grow out of it, but no dice thus far.

The other issue, of course, is it is not as if the Blues have bad contracts on the books. Trading off the players making the most money means giving up on a relatively promising player on a good contract.
Once again...damn thee Bill Laurie...
He has shown though he is a top pairing defenseman. If we are going to go after a defenseman these are the ones I prefer. I don't think any LHD contract is a concern to Stillman as he has said he is willing to put money into this team in order to make it win. Selling off the Rivermen will allow him to be able to spend more money towards the team.

Yandle
Bouwmeester
Giordono
Sekera

Old
03-27-2013, 07:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I hope we get the defenseman at the deadline, and if our offense isn't good enough down the stretch and/or in the playoffs, move a forward or 2 for a center.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:11 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Wonder what Philly would trade Coburn for prospect and pick wise.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post

Make it happen Army.
Why do you say that? He is the player I'd really want, but I don't think it is possible given how the Sabres fans talk about him.

Quote:
Wonder what Philly would trade Coburn for prospect and pick wise.
Coburn has been terrible this season. If there is a chance to buy low, then sure. With how ugly their defense is, I doubt that possibility exists.

Closed Thread