HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
We'd need more and I'm a Sekera fan and not a huge fan of Perron.
Agreed

Old
03-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Alklha

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
I'd want Foligno coming back too to fill in the LW, since we have no depth there. It might be nice to have a big body on the left.
I don't think that depth is a significant issue on LW overall.

Sekera & Foligno for Perron & Cole might be something to work around? Not sure Buffalo would want to move those pieces though.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:39 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I have always been adamantly against Bouwmeester so I will not be the one explaining to you that it can work.
Haha i know. I'm against it too. I just know you have a good idea of the financial outlook of the blues as well as player evaluation.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I will quitely disagreee with this. Boston is in a tough spot. Montreal has taken off and with the way Pitt just went after it, they MAY FEEL they need to make a move. Quite frankly, McDonald would be the next best UFA out there.

Now, do I think he will get moved. NO. Not a chance, BUT - his market price would be very high. Shoot, the Ducks may feel they are close and go after him.

With the way Pitt has been aggressive, I think they just sent a clear message to Boston, Montreal, the Ducks and Hawks, that they are the team to beat. Those teams right now have legit cup aspirations this year (I am not sold on us due to the up and down play of the team). Pitt just went all in, and it will likely force other teams to do so. Again, McDonald would be the best UFA rental out there.

Also, Jaskin's season could be done after this weekend. (I guess the next question is what do we have to do to have to sign him.)
I'm wondering this as well. I know it is some kind of contract issue with Slavia Prague, but does anyone know anything more than that? All very vague.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:06 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Haha i know. I'm against it too. I just know you have a good idea of the financial outlook of the blues as well as player evaluation.
Maybe we need a sticky with the Blues roster and contracts so everyone that comes in can see where the Blues are financially, as well as where they'll need to be in the future. I'd also list how many contracts we could take on should a deal be made, upcoming RFAs and UFAs, what prospects aren't signed, and prospects that the Blues are about to lose rights to.

Last edited by CarvinSigX: 03-28-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I don't think that depth is a significant issue on LW overall.

Sekera & Foligno for Perron & Cole might be something to work around? Not sure Buffalo would want to move those pieces though.
Exactly. Buffalo may be trading away players this year, but I suspect that Sekera and Foligno are two of the guys that they'll keep. If you want to trade Perron for an LD, look elsewhere.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:01 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Well crazy rumors have officially began with the Blues, some guy on TSN radio thinks the Blues and Leafs are talking with Backes being named. Talk about a shakeup lol.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Here is the Matheson article that I referenced last night. Doesn't mention Perron as bait but he reported that on twitter:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...rade-deadline/

Quote:
The Blues, while getting stronger work out of Kris Russell and Wade Redden on the left side of their back-end the last few weeks, have certainly been asking people about Whitney.
Quote:
The Blues, also sniffing around Jay Bouwmeester in Calgary, have been looking for a left side D-man, ostensibly to play with Alex Pietrangelo.
Calgary's PBP man tweeted that as many as 6 teams are interested in Bowmeester and that JB has had conversations with Flames brass about a potential deal. The Blues would presumably be one of the six. Would be very fascinating to see which roster player they would part with for JB if that CGY/STL deal ever came to fruition.

Matheson also said the DeKeyser situation will be resolved sometime today.

To summarize, it's all happening. And even so, wouldn't be surprised if they did nothing pending on how the team plays. Tonight is huge for all sorts of reasons.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:07 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Maybe we need a sticky with the Blues roster and contracts so everyone that comes in can see where the Blues are financially, as well as where they'll need to be in the future. I'd also list how many contracts we could take on should a deal be made, upcoming RFAs and UFAs, what prospects aren't signed, and prospects that the Blues are about to lose rights to.
Kinda like this:

http://capgeek.com/blues?

Old
03-28-2013, 02:14 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Kinda like this:

http://capgeek.com/blues?
Exactly.

Seriously though, mods need to move that link/information to the OP and have a warning to read it.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:23 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Exactly.

Seriously though, mods need to move that link/information to the OP and have a warning to read it.
And it doesn't list contract totals either. I count 51 total players on that page, but I had to count.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
The thing though with Feaster is Ignila's NMC controlled the entire deal, even to the point that Iginla told Feaster Boston was one of the 3-4 teams he'd accept being traded to, and then even when Boston's offer was better than Pittsburgh's (and Calgary preferred the Boston offer), Iginla's real list was one team since he nixed the Boston offer personally. Boston fans have a legitimate reason to hate Iginla for this ******** he put them through.
Its also possible that Iginla had already shared that Pittsburgh was the one team he'd go to, and they played it like there were more options (including Boston) to try to get a better return. Iginla may have been complicit with this.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
And it doesn't list contract totals either. I count 51 total players on that page, but I had to count.

I don't think contracts that don't start until July 1st count until then, and that's what kind of contracts we signed the recent prospects to.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Here is the Matheson article that I referenced last night. Doesn't mention Perron as bait but he reported that on twitter:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...rade-deadline/

Calgary's PBP man tweeted that as many as 6 teams are interested in Bowmeester and that JB has had conversations with Flames brass about a potential deal. The Blues would presumably be one of the six. Would be very fascinating to see which roster player they would part with for JB if that CGY/STL deal ever came to fruition.

Matheson also said the DeKeyser situation will be resolved sometime today.

To summarize, it's all happening. And even so, wouldn't be surprised if they did nothing pending on how the team plays. Tonight is huge for all sorts of reasons.
I think Jay Bouwmeester is a good player, and I think he would do a good job here. I don't think he is worth close to $6.7m a year though.

Also, maybe I am reaching here, but if I am Alex Pietrangelo's agent then I see that $6.7m mark as a line in the sand for negotiations. Right now we can point to OEL/Karlsson and say, "well, you have earned a little more/less than that". I think we lose a lot of that argument with that contract on the books.

As for DeKeyser, at the end of ast week everyone was expecting his decision today. Yesterday it seemed to shift to Friday. I don't expect him to choose us, but the sooner we find out the better.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:36 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Its also possible that Iginla had already shared that Pittsburgh was the one team he'd go to, and they played it like there were more options (including Boston) to try to get a better return. Iginla may have been complicit with this.
Very possible, but it still justifies Boston fan dislike if true.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
BadgersandBlues

One thing to keep in mind:

With the new CBA teams can now split (up to 50%) of a players salary. I'm not sure if Calgary would be willing to do this, but if we -do- get JB, having him at 3.4 would be a lot more reasonable then 6.7. I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) the entire Cap hit goes to the team getting the player, but the salary can be shared. If Calgary only cares about Cap space (which has seemed to be the case in years past) then perhaps this could be something that leads to a deal easier to swallow from a financial standpoint.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post

With the new CBA teams can now split (up to 50%) of a players salary. I'm not sure if Calgary would be willing to do this, but if we -do- get JB, having him at 3.4 would be a lot more reasonable then 6.7. I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) the entire Cap hit goes to the team getting the player, but the salary can be shared. If Calgary only cares about Cap space (which has seemed to be the case in years past) then perhaps this could be something that leads to a deal easier to swallow from a financial standpoint.
We would have to give up more if we go down that route, but another way to make it feasible. There is a fine line asset wise that I would say hell no to trading for JayBo, and I feel Feaster could want that because he isn't a rental.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I think Jay Bouwmeester is a good player, and I think he would do a good job here. I don't think he is worth close to $6.7m a year though.

Also, maybe I am reaching here, but if I am Alex Pietrangelo's agent then I see that $6.7m mark as a line in the sand for negotiations. Right now we can point to OEL/Karlsson and say, "well, you have earned a little more/less than that". I think we lose a lot of that argument with that contract on the books.

As for DeKeyser, at the end of ast week everyone was expecting his decision today. Yesterday it seemed to shift to Friday. I don't expect him to choose us, but the sooner we find out the better.
He isn't worth $6.7 but would be a solid addition if we were the Penguins or Flyers or any other team that could just load up by solely trading picks and prospects.

But a significant piece of the roster would have to go back the other way. Not signing McDonald in the offseason and parting with X core forward at the deadline would be the only way to make the money work.

As for Petro, I don't think inheriting a big contract that was signed as a player was entering the free market would be any type of measuring stick for AP's camp in the upcoming negotiations. OEL, Karlsson, and Doughty are the comparables.

And agreed re: DeKeyser. He's clearly someone they're focused on and if they miss, their targets get narrower so a quick decision would only be helpful.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:56 PM
BlueDream

Even though the Backes rumor has got to be complete ********* since that makes no sense, the Blues are involved in a lot more rumors right now than they typically are I feel like. I think Armstrong gets something done.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:58 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post

This might've been a possibility if the rule was in tact last year but he's having a very good season for Calgary and they are expected to get some decent value for him if a deal is struck (then again we are talking about chubby hands Feaster and Murray Edwards). Having an extra year actually increases his value for those teams that can afford the contract, especially with two amnesty buyouts at the GM's disposal this offseason to clear out some bad contracts.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:59 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
I was thinking more like our internal budget and spending on stuf outside of player salaries that effects how much we can then spend on freeagents/ trades. I have very little knowlege of that. I mean yeah i could look at capgeek.com and say we have 15 mill or whatever in capspace so bouwmeester would fit but that's just not the case.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Well the difficult thing is, Armstrong could add some salary and then we'll know there was room to add salary, but if nothing happens then we'll be back to the neverending deadline refrain of "cmon, who're you kidding, there's no money!"

IMO, Armstrong saying he'd like to add LD help for futures says there's enough wiggle room to accommodate an upgrade. Also the offers to Garrison and Carle. But I also suspect nothing will happen and we'll be told that there just wasn't money.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:15 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I do have a connection, albeit limited, to one of the minority owners and some of the info I've gotten is why I've been pessimistic about an upgrade for most of the year. At least for this season with Stillman still pouring over the finances of the organization, the lockout serving as a curveball before his first go round, and so many key players to re-sign.

I think that "wiggle room" you speak of is very finite. Expiring contract. Nothing long term. Whitney, Klesla, etc. At least in terms of roster player for futures.

Unless Armstrong gets creative and makes the money work for a more impactful player which has been difficult to this point because the market has been very tight with so many teams in it until recently and Armstrong himself dealing with a schizo team that has been hard to evaluate.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
CarvinSigX

And those are the two names that I've mentioned as realistic targets. I'd be okay with either one, preferably Klesla...But Whitney may surprise some people, should he have the right partner on a good team. The guy is at least an upgrade on Redden.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:29 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I couldn't agree more regarding Whitney being an upgrade over Redden. This is one those situations where I don't give a damn what the numbers are, I don't care what his plus/minus is over the last 10 games....I know from my own eye balls watching him in person 8 times that Redden is going to be a liability of Gusarov proportions come playoff time.

At least with Whitney you know you're adding a puck mover who can play on the second PP unit and who has been a lot better than Oiler fans make him out to be and is dying for a change of scenery. It's not really a roll of the dice b/c he will not be worse than Redden and Cole has completely fallen out of favor.

All things considered it would be a good pick-up pending the cost which I would peg as a second rounder considering the salary.

Closed Thread