HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 03:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
I feel pretty meh about Whitney but I agree that Redden is exposure waiting to happen in the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:39 PM
diehardbluesfan

Do you think the Blues would be able to up their payroll to ~55 million if they resigned all of their guys?

Old
03-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
Do you think the Blues would be able to up their payroll to ~55 million if they resigned all of their guys?
If we can't afford $55m we are in real bother. I think we ended up at around $55m last season, dropped back down this year. We aren't going to be spending the cap, but I'll be very disappointed if we aren't at $58m in payroll next season.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
If we can't afford $55m we are in real bother. I think we ended up at around $55m last season, dropped back down this year. We aren't going to be spending the cap, but I'll be very disappointed if we aren't at $58m in payroll next season.
If they have to raise ticket prices to sustain a $58-$60 million player payroll to remain competitive, so be it. I think people will be willing to put out for a winning team. If they can't be competitive, everything comes crashing down like a ton of bricks, in any case.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:09 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
If they have to raise ticket prices to sustain a $58-$60 million player payroll to remain competitive, so be it. I think people will be willing to put out for a winning team. If they can't be competitive, everything comes crashing down like a ton of bricks, in any case.
The problem is that a higher team payroll doesn't guarantee a winning team.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
That's how I am to. Me and my dad just became STH this year in Mez End so if they jump the price up to high, we may just get the cheaper option, but I doubt they would raise to to dramatic unless the Blues made a deep run in the playoffs or won the cup. I've said all along, I would rather go to less games if it means the Blues would spend more money to resign their own guys and go out and get a top player if necessary.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblues View Post
Of course it doesn't guarantee it. But to say it wouldn't help is absurd. When was a team in the bottom 5 in payroll ever won a championship in any sport. Now there may be a few but not anywhere close as how many top 5 in payroll teams have won a championship.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
If we can't afford $55m we are in real bother.
If the Blues cannot afford >$55 million they need to move to Quebec.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:28 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by superblues View Post
But are we to the point where a lower team payroll inhibits having a winning team? Have they maxed out what they can do with what they've got in payroll?

Old
03-28-2013, 04:49 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Redden gets the most sheltered minutes ever, so even Whitney would be an upgrade, technically at least.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:51 PM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Redden gets the most sheltered minutes ever, so even Whitney would be an upgrade, technically at least.
Agreed. I am so not feeling confident if we go into the playoffs with him in our line-up.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Alklha

Interesting time for Elliott to go to Peoria on a conditioning assignment...

Old
03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Honestly, I know Redden is there to provide a slower pivot point for Shattenkirk (at the moment) but I would like to see what Cole does there.

At least with Cole there is a chance the opposition won't blow by him with quite the same speed. Additionally Shattenkirk and Cole did play together well in previous circumstance.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Interesting time for Elliott to go to Peoria on a conditioning assignment...
It actually makes sense, if you look at the Halak article.

Evidently the Blues financial issues have gotten to the point that there are not enough nets for all three goaltenders to be able to get the necessary number of reps. Shocking, and the Blues hope that by offloading Stewart, McDonald, Perron, Backes (I think that is it, but then I have not perused the Trade board today) they can afford to buy a third net.

Likely from secondhand sports.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Honestly, I know Redden is there to provide a slower pivot point for Shattenkirk (at the moment) but I would like to see what Cole does there.

At least with Cole there is a chance the opposition won't blow by him with quite the same speed. Additionally Shattenkirk and Cole did play together well in previous circumstance.
It is strange. Cole recieved tough minutes when he was in the team, far tougher than what Redden is getting. Now Jackman is playing pretty well with Pietrangelo, and Cole-Shattenkirk pairing makes a lot of sense. We lose the offensive of Redden, but we'd hopefully gain the offense of Shattenkirk again and have a more defensively stable partner.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
It is strange. Cole recieved tough minutes when he was in the team, far tougher than what Redden is getting. Now Jackman is playing pretty well with Pietrangelo, and Cole-Shattenkirk pairing makes a lot of sense. We lose the offensive of Redden, but we'd hopefully gain the offense of Shattenkirk again and have a more defensively stable partner.
At the risk of sounding derisive, the offensive skill displayed by Redden has not been enough to compensate for his lack of footspeed and...interesting...decisions in the defensive zone.

Of course, I am running the risk of upsetting certain people who have played far more beer-league hockey than I by making this statement.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:15 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
At the risk of sounding derisive, the offensive skill displayed by Redden has not been enough to compensate for his lack of footspeed and...interesting...decisions in the defensive zone.

Of course, I am running the risk of upsetting certain people who have played far more beer-league hockey than I by making this statement.
Unless you brew your own beer, I don't think you should be posting about beer-league hockey players' opinions.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
kimzey59

Quote:

And Cole's new found ability to skate and make a solid pass does not compensate for his inability to play consistent defense or provide any semblance of a physical game(don't know what Cole you've been watching this year, but he's been a turnstile on the point since the middle of last year, he gets blown by on a regular basis).

Neither Redden or Cole has done anything to warrant top 4 TOI, but at least Redden provides a leadership factor. We desperately need a top 4 guy to push Redden out of the lineup, but until we get that player Redden is the better option.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Alklha

Did anyone see any of Berglund playing for Västerås during the lockout? I'm just wondering if he played LW for them when Backlund was in the team and he became much more active on the scoresheet. (Not suggesting anything, just something that came up in conversation with a friend)

Old
03-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
And Cole's new found ability to skate and make a solid pass does not compensate for his inability to play consistent defense or provide any semblance of a physical game(don't know what Cole you've been watching this year, but he's been a turnstile on the point since the middle of last year, he gets blown by on a regular basis).

Neither Redden or Cole has done anything to warrant top 4 TOI, but at least Redden provides a leadership factor. We desperately need a top 4 guy to push Redden out of the lineup, but until we get that player Redden is the better option.
I am not really advocating all that strongly for Cole...although the remark regarding his physical game does seem to be somewhat of a non-starter since Redden does not have one either.

Regardless, I agree both of them have not shown enough consistency or ability to be in a top 4 role. That said, with Cole there is a chance he could evolve to be a better player. Redden is the epitome of WYSIWYG.
As far as getting blown by, with Cole it is because of positioning, with Redden it is because he has foot speed not seen since Rich Pilon played half a preseason game with the Blues.

Although you tell me he has the leadership intangible, perhaps though the players are moving too fast to hear it?

Old
03-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Unless you brew your own beer, I don't think you should be posting about beer-league hockey players' opinions.
Can't. Titan is too cold to get a good fermentation going.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:52 PM
h22prelude93

I still think Leopold is the guy the Blues need to target this deadline. I've watched quite a few Buffalo games this season and his defensive game is pretty underrated IMO. He also has a really good shot from the blueline. He's a guy I think the Blues could pick up without selling the farm. JMHO

Old
03-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Did anyone see any of Berglund playing for Västerås during the lockout? I'm just wondering if he played LW for them when Backlund was in the team and he became much more active on the scoresheet. (Not suggesting anything, just something that came up in conversation with a friend)
I guess Hitch is telling me he played LW

Old
03-28-2013, 10:38 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Players will be moving at the draft. Kerber said Chase Perron was yelled at by at least 4 players on the bench for not doing something.

Move picks and prospects for the defenseman, and package Perron and Berglund for the center. Maybe we could put something together for Backstrom. Honestly, none of the forwards besides Tarasenko and Schwartz should be off limits. I'm not saying blow it up, but we need to actually get a top forward and we need to add that defenseman.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Lifetimebluesfan

Perron for a #2 dman.

Cole and a pick for a veteran lw

Closed Thread