HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 06:31 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I know it would disappoint many here, but waiting till the offseason to make a trade might be the best way to go. Given that teams will see next season differently than this one, the offseason could be more fruitful.

As Army stated, teams are not making core player for core player swaps. They are not even making hockey trades. Because of the shortened season many teams are holding on to a lot more hope than normal. They are also realizing that this is the year to strike, as next year the cap drops significantly. Those factors could mean offseason activity will rise and with that our options should increase.
Yep, I think Army does something at the draft. One or two noteworthy trades.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:39 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Maybe we can sign Nate Schmidt out of Minnesota.

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-cont...College-FA.pdf

Old
03-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Maybe we can sign Nate Schmidt out of Minnesota.

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-cont...College-FA.pdf
As I said a while ago, there were 3 defensemen worth getting, and he is the last one available. Higher potential than DeKeyser, but he isn't NHL ready and is less likely to realise that potential. His offensive instincts have always been there, but his defensive game has massively improved in the past couple of seasons.

He needs AHL time, but no doubt someone will offer him a roster spot. I might be wrong, but I don't think we are really in the mix for him.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 500
I thought Pietrangelo was having a pretty solid game last game. He really only blows a play when he steps up and gets burnt, he needs to sit back and be a stay at home defenseman for awhile until he starts stepping up into plays again.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:51 PM
BlueDream

As we know, there isn't one player who is responsible for our struggles, but obviously aside from the goaltending being a huge problem, Pietrangelo also has to accept a lot of responsibility. For a team to be great they need their best player to play great, and Pietrangelo just isn't. There are some games where he's looked a little better but overall he's not doing enough. He hasn't been enough of a difference maker or reliable enough defensively. This team won't improve to their max potential until he really steps up his game, IMO.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Bluesman91

Trade Pieces

T1: Our most expendable pieces. Each one of these players can be replaced by any of the others below.
Perron
McDonald
Berglund
Oshie
Halak
Reaves
Cole
Rattie
Picks

T2: Most likely won't be traded but if an offer comes up that Army can't refuse, have to do it.
Steen
Backes
Stewart
Schwartz
Sobotka
Polak
Porter
Cracknell
Elliott

T3: Either they are untouchable or are highly unlikely to move.
Tarasenko
Jackman
Redden
Russell
Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Allen

This is how I would look at which players would be more likely to move. And before I get flack for the T1 guys, you must admit that these players are the most moveable. Each one can be filled in but would build are way to have a top heavy 1st line but still have a great 2nd line followed by an energy/rookie 3rd line and a grinder 4th line.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:11 PM
taylord22

My .02 on Pietrangelo:

He's still coming out of corners/puck battles and pushing the puck forward as consistently as any other top dman in the league. In fact, I would say that he's still the best in the NHL at winning puck battles in 2-3 against 1 situations. It's magical.

The problem has been that the forwards are doing a horrendous job of winning lines, and once the play collapses back, he's making poor decisions, which are only made more glaring by the fact that he really loses his effectiveness as a player when he has to collapse on the net.

He definitely hasn't been as superb as he was last year, but then again, we saw perfection last year. For all the talk that's being had right now re: Norris caliber seasons, nobody is coming close to what we saw last year.

His play is starting to pick up, but I agree with PN...the impact that he had last year cannot be overstated. It looks to be too little, too late.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:24 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

His play has definitely improved. He is starting to do those amazing stickchecks that he seemed to do all the time last season. I forgot exactly when, but against LA there was one that really stood out to me.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:50 PM
taylord22

Quote:
His play has definitely improved. He is starting to do those amazing stickchecks that he seemed to do all the time last season. I forgot exactly when, but against LA there was one that really stood out to me.
He did a great job against Kopitar and Brown, I thought (when defending the cycle vs. net, obviously)

There was a play against Edmonton where he stole it from the dman pinching low, started wheeling around the net, banked it around Hall to himself, went inside out on Eberle, passed it to a streaking Andy Mac, who in turn coughed it up just inside the blue line and subsequently led to an odd-man that he was late on...that play, to me, is a microcosm of his season.

Our forwards have been brutal and he hasn't adjusted himself enough to accommodate.

...I'll say one more thing (hesitantly)...I don't agree with 'all' the hate on 42's play...but he has been INCREDIBLY unreliable at getting the puck out after catching a pass along the half boards. He looks timid and slow after catching a pass...i cant explain it. The whole team has been bad, but last year, Backes and Oshie were amongst the best at finishing those zone wins/clears...this, IMO, is the biggest unspoken factor of Pietrangelo's ineffectiveness.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:57 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

I think it is more of everyone is slightly off their game, which makes it look a lot worse than it really is. That and the quicksand affect, and this is with Pietrangelo, where the harder they try, the quicker they sink. I think Perron is a victim of that too.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:42 PM
GrandPapillon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Trade Pieces

T1: Our most expendable pieces. Each one of these players can be replaced by any of the others below.
Perron
McDonald
Berglund
Oshie
Halak
Reaves
Cole
Rattie
Picks

T2: Most likely won't be traded but if an offer comes up that Army can't refuse, have to do it.
Steen
Backes
Stewart
Schwartz
Sobotka
Polak
Porter
Cracknell
Elliott

Tarasenko
Jackman
Redden
Russell
Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Allen

This is how I would look at which players would be more likely to move. And before I get flack for the T1 guys, you must admit that these players are the most moveable. Each one can be filled in but would build are way to have a top heavy 1st line but still have a great 2nd line followed by an energy/rookie 3rd line and a grinder 4th line.
Because it is so much easier to find a Perron or Oshie than an Elliott, Porter, or Cracknell

Can the armchair gms around here please start doing something more productive with their time and stop with the nonsense?

EDIT: Wait. I totally missed Redden and Russell as Tier 3 guys. LMAO. Next thing we know, you'll be on intermission reports with Strickland.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:45 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Because it is so much easier to find a Perron or Oshie than an Elliott, Porter, or Cracknell

Can the armchair gms around here please start doing something more productive with their time and stop with the nonsense?
I hope he is just saying that they wouldn't get much in a trade, so it's unlikely they'd be moved. I hope at least.

On the 2nd part, you could just ignore it if you'd like. What else do you expect on a hockey forum. You are just as guilty with your Backes talk.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:49 PM
BlueDream

Ok well Reaves, Porter and Cracknell are all in the top two tiers so it can't have that much to do with trade value.

Russell and Redden in tier 3 is pretty hilarious. If I could choose any defensemen on this roster that I would be perfectly fine with moving it would be them.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
I hope he is just saying that they wouldn't get much in a trade, so it's unlikely they'd be moved. I hope at least.

On the 2nd part, you could just ignore it if you'd like. What else do you expect on a hockey forum. You are just as guilty with your Backes talk.
This. My point is those players won't fetch much in trade so it's unlikely that they are traded. It wasn't to give who is the most valuable to this team. Just how likely they could be traded and the value they hold in a trade.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:52 PM
BlueDream

The list really makes zero sense then, sorry. You have Reaves in tier 1. He has trade value?

Old
03-29-2013, 11:53 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
This. My point is those players won't fetch much in trade so it's unlikely that they are traded. It wasn't to give who is the most valuable to this team. Just how likely they could be traded and the value they hold in a trade.
You should have just left everyone with no trade value off the list, probably would've made it easier for everyone else to understand.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:55 PM
GrandPapillon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
The list really makes zero sense then, sorry. You have Reaves in tier 1. He has trade value?
Still doesn't make sense. According to your list, McDonald, who is a free agent after this season and has no future here, is just as likely to get traded as Halak, who is the only thing keeping us from a rookie goalie/can't stop a beach ball tandem. I don't see it.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:06 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

I wonder if Bobby Ryan would be available in the summer. We have 2nd line pieces to offer them for a 1st line LW with size.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:13 AM
taylord22

Quote:
I wonder if Bobby Ryan would be available in the summer. We have 2nd line pieces to offer them for a 1st line LW with size.
It's too bad the animosity between he and the ducks has seemingly dissipated. A package of McDonald (for a cup run rental) + core player + high pick would be a no brainer for me. He's a player worthy of giving up a ton for, IMO...sees the ice, dangerous off the rush, and one of the best players in the league down low...everything we need.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Trade Pieces

-Perron (Talented 2nd/1st line winger could be a centerpiece of a trade)
-McDonald (pending UFA and is on decline, we have perron, steen, and schwartz on the left side. mcdonald could easily leave)
-Berglund (3rd/2nd line big center could be a centerpiece of a trade with a center coming back)
-Oshie (2nd/1st line 2-way winger could be a centerpiece of a trade)
-Halak (1b/1a young goaltender could be a centerpiece of a trade with a goaltender coming back)
-Reaves (4th line enforcer, big body and at times show he can play hockey, good throw in seeing as we have porter and cracknell to play as well)
-Cole (young 3rd/2nd pairing LHD could be a centerpiece of a trade with a LHD coming back)
-Rattie (young prospect developing nicely, finished 3rd in WHL scoring 12-13. great addition to a trade)
-Picks (always a great addition to trades seeing as we don't need to focus on the future, we need to focus on our window now)

-Steen (1st/2nd line 2-way lw/center and good leader. Steen is one of our more talented so less likely to be traded but also can be used as a centerpiece or addition to a bigger trade.
-Backes (1st/2nd line center/winger power forward and captain of our team. Backes is our captain and would be unlikely to be traded but could be traded for a more talented player.)
-Stewart (1st/2nd line power forward rw. Had one bad year but has redeemed himself this year. He shows he can be somewhat of an impact player so unlikely we would trade him and he is a pending rfa so that drops his value, but if a deal came up for an upgrade over stewart he could go.)
-Schwartz (blue chip prospect lw, has great vision, is very mature, and shows hard work ethic. I see Schwartz's potential and can be a 1st line playmaking 2-way winger/center. think steen but a playmaker instead of a shooter. he honestly should be a player we build around but if a great offer came to us and it had his name he could go.)
-Sobotka (3rd/4th line energy player. sobotka shows he can hit despite his size and gives a great amount of effort every night. he is somewhat important to the team so it's highly unlikely we trade sobotka but he could also be a good addition to a trade.)
-Polak (we don't have many rhd behind polak)
-Porter (see sobotka but doesn't hold as much value as sobotka)
-Cracknell (see porter)
-Elliott (who would take a struggling elliott right now? i mean if a team asked him as an edition sure, why not?)

-Tarasenko
-Jackman (jax has been with us for like 80 years now, the old guy isn't going anywhere especially when we need LHD)
-Redden (i mean if someone REALLY wants redden lol)
-Russell (I mean I could see Russell going if a LHD is coming back but that's not likely as they have other pieces they could move that hold more value)
-Pietrangelo
-Shattenkirk
-Allen
To show why they are where they are.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:25 AM
ExJbeck

Quote:
I'm all about this, he's one of the best and my favorite PWFs in the league. I'd love to see Ryan-Backes-Stewart.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:26 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Not gonna lie, that list is a gigantic mess and it's so biazrre with the tiers and their definitions I don't know if it can be fixed. I don't have constructive criticism, and I apologize for that, but it's not a useful list in any way.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
I'm all about this, he's one of the best and my favorite PWFs in the league. I'd love to see Ryan-Backes-Stewart.
What would it take to get Ryan though

Old
03-30-2013, 12:30 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Ryan for Berglund and Stewart with balancing futures is still not a bad offer. I get that there's no center coming back in the deal, but value wise Ryan>>Stewart (he really does bring much more dynamism in his offensive game). Ducks would probably have to add a pick/prospect, but if the Blues had a center replacement for Swedish Handzus the Blues would be getting the better player in the deal.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:41 AM
ExJbeck

I would hate to guess what Ryan would cost. I do not want to see Stewart play with Getzlaf unless it's on the Blues, so I would avoid trading him there. At the same time Corey Perry is a RW so maybe they wouldn't want Stewart. Also, Berglund and Stewart have limited chemistry, which makes me question why Ana would want those two. Maybe my judgement is clouded because I don't like them together. I seriously doubt we get Bobby Ryan though.

Jamie Benn anyone? I know he will never be available, but since I'm already dreaming.

Closed Thread