HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
ExJbeck

vCash: 500
If our team defense is going to be as elite or better then last season I'm not sure acquiring a "Miller" is necessary. Not to say we wouldn't be better with him over Halak because that's not the case. I'm just saying that opposing offenses really have trouble getting good shots on net. Most of the shots come from the perimeter and there is normally a low volume of shots. Would it really be necessary to give up assets assuming the goalies and team d are better (which they better be)?

Old
04-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I think it would be unfortunate and a mistake to lose Russell after all the chips fall. Dude is a good player who might get caught in a numbers game this season but could slide right back into the third pairing next season if Leopold walks. And he would represent amazing depth if an injury were to occur this season. Hitchcock likes him and I doubt he's dealt and I think he still has a future in STL.
I'm hoping we waive Redden and just let Russell be the seventh man, or better yet, rotate him and Leopoldo. He's really turned his game around.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:52 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Another positive of the Bouwmeester deal is that with they key aspect being money instead of players, the Blues were able to hold on to all their assets for upgrades this summer. This wouldn't have happened if we dealt for Yandle, for instance. Berglund would've been gone for sure. Now we could theoretically package Berglund + ____ for a distributing center in the offseason.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:39 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Another positive of the Bouwmeester deal is that with they key aspect being money instead of players, the Blues were able to hold on to all their assets for upgrades this summer. This wouldn't have happened if we dealt for Yandle, for instance. Berglund would've been gone for sure. Now we could theoretically package Berglund + ____ for a distributing center in the offseason.
Exactly. It just feels good to no longer have a need for that LHD. We spent so much time looking for it and us on this board speculated many different ideas of using Perron (or some other forward) to get one. Getting Bouwmeester without giving up any valuable assets besides a 1st is great.

Now in the offseason, we can mainly just focus on our forwards for the first time in a while, and at this point moving one of our core forwards for a center upgrade is a very intriguing option, and probably a much more ideal option that it would be to move one of them for a defenseman.

Even if you aren't a huge fan of Bouwmeester, IMO there's no question that we didn't give up much to get him and our team is in a much better place now - assuming Army can make it work financially, which I believe he can.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:03 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

How about a Ian Cole for center Joe Colborne of the Maple Leafs deal? They really don't have a place for him. Perhaps a swap of former first round picks. Not a deal to help us now, but center depth that could compete for a spot next year.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:35 AM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
How about a Ian Cole for center Joe Colborne of the Maple Leafs deal? They really don't have a place for him. Perhaps a swap of former first round picks. Not a deal to help us now, but center depth that could compete for a spot next year.
Doubt it happens because Toronto has a log jam on the left side: phaneuf,gardiner,gunnarsson, fraser, blacker. However I've been a fan of colborne for two years now so definitely wouldn't mind him coming here.

But then again i think were looking for a more proven playmaking centermen like a mike ribeiro or something like that

Old
04-03-2013, 07:41 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I guess this would be a fair deal but I think they already have too many LHDs and 2 good prospects in Rielly and Gardiner

I still would hold onto Cole, maybe send him down, if there is no deal for instant help on the table

And I really wanna see him as a Jax replacement, just doubt that will happen

Old
04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 380
Jackman has quietly been very good this year. That three year contract looks better today than it did last year.

Redden can go IMO. With the upgrades, he just doesn't have a spot. Waive him and give him a chance to let a team pick him up.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Jackman has quietly been very good this year. That three year contract looks better today than it did last year.

Redden can go IMO. With the upgrades, he just doesn't have a spot. Waive him and give him a chance to let a team pick him up.
There's not doubt in my mind Redden is gone. The biggest question is what do we do with Russell?

Old
04-03-2013, 11:50 AM
BlueDream

Yeah Redden can leave for a 7th in 2016 for all I care.

It's weird not having an issue with the LHD now. Everytime I see a team shopping a d-man, for a split second I'll think "I wonder if the Blues would inq--" and then I'm like "--ohhh yeahhhh, nevermind." It's been so long searching for one that I'm going to have to get used to not searching for one anymore.

We're on to other things now!!!

Old
04-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
There's not doubt in my mind Redden is gone. The biggest question is what do we do with Russell?
Russell is an ideal 6th/7th defender. If Leopold is not retained over the summer, Russell should be right back in as the bottom pairing guy.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:28 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I don't see why Russell is the biggest question. The biggest D question now is which two of these three will the Blues keep next year: Leopold (UFA), Russell (RFA), Cole (RFA). Russell and Cole combined will cost about what Leopold will cost, but Leopold might stay if he's the better defenseman and is willing to take a little less to be part of a competitor for awhile. We don't know, we have to watch more games of Leopold on this roster. It sounds like Hitchcock has stated Leopold-Shattenkirk and Jackman-Polak are the pairings, so they're planning to give him top four minutes, at least to start. If he can't handle top four minutes then I see him as the easy odd man out and (barring a trade today) both Russell and Cole get retained (for basically their current salaries).

Old
04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
I think if we make it to the conference finals, then it is likely Leopold will be retained because the team would have played well with him and we'd have enough money to retain everyone, well probably.

If we don't make it past the 2nd, then multiple moves will be moved IMO. Everything depends on how we do in the 2nd round, that is if we get there.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Glad the Blues didn't move any core pieces. I would like to see this group stay together at least one more year especially now that they have a pairing partner for Petro. Now, if they can somehow get them all signed...

Old
04-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Frenzy1
Christ Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Doubt it happens because Toronto has a log jam on the left side: phaneuf,gardiner,gunnarsson, fraser, blacker. However I've been a fan of colborne for two years now so definitely wouldn't mind him coming here.

But then again i think were looking for a more proven playmaking centermen like a mike ribeiro or something like that
Phili could use dmen. And florida can use wingers. Both have centermen.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:46 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

I wouldn't be surprised to see Russell moved in a draft day deal.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Phili could use dmen. And florida can use wingers. Both have centermen.
I would love to pry Bjugstad out of Florida. From my limited viewing of him, he looks like he is going to be a great player.

Ottawa wanted Couturier in a Bishop deal. Not a surprise that it didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoublues29 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Russell moved in a draft day deal.
Unless Leopold plays great and is willing to take a reduced salary, then that would be a pretty big shock.

Best guess at this point is that Leopold will be a rental and Russell will be a regular again next season. Plenty of time for that to change though.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:53 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Agree with it or not, the way the Blues are talking, Bouwmeester is in the plans long-term. There's not a lot of movement expected in the top 5 d-men, and the Blues have solid depth at 6/7 with Russell/Cole, who they could and should be easily able to afford.

If Leopold stays, then you'd think one of Russell/Cole gets moved at the draft. They really do have the pieces to move a D + F + prospect for a major impact scoring center.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

We need multiple 7 game series' to maximize revenue, then we can afford that center lol.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:03 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
We need multiple 7 game series' to maximize revenue, then we can afford that center lol.
That center might cost more than, say, Berglund at 3.5M and Russell at 1.5M, but not by a crazy amount.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:06 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
That center might cost more than, say, Berglund at 3.5M and Russell at 1.5M, but not by a crazy amount.
Yeah, but who knows what the budget will be, maybe we blow it out of proportion on here. It is good financially that Stewart has come back to Earth and neither Petro or Shatty lead the team in points.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:15 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
I wish there would have been one more deal, but there's always the off season.

Any money earned in the playoffs will be used to cover this year’s losses, any future deals will be covered with future revenues, which still need to grow significantly, which can happen if they make a nice run to the conference finals.

I wouldn’t say this really a great hockey town, but it is a good sports town and they will follow a winner.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
I wish there would have been one more deal, but there's always the off season.

Any money earned in the playoffs will be used to cover this year’s losses, any future deals will be covered with future revenues, which still need to grow significantly, which can happen if they make a nice run to the conference finals.

I wouldn’t say this really a great hockey town, but it is a good sports town and they will follow a winner.
I think it was the Peoria sale. That likely brought in $6m-$7m, and we've made a decision to spend close to the cap next season. Playoff runs will pay for continued spending, those playoff runs would also allow for a modest bump in ticket prices.

Not a massive risk, in the unlikely event that we fail to get to at least the 2nd round or further most years, then we have an asset rich team. We can pretty easily move a couple of proven players for near NHL ready talent (like the Forsberg/Erat trade today) and slash salary.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

I have to think we are close to financial stability with everything that they have cut. Got money for Peoria plus we no longer lose money from running them, add in JDs contract and others and our operating costs have significantly dropped.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:35 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I'd look for a box office price hike next season, but I also think its entirely reasonable if they are really icing one of the top contenders in the West for the next several years. It sounds like Bouwmeester is interested in re-signing if things go well. I really liked his interview in the PD today. I really hope it works out for all parties.

Closed Thread