HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 02:26 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 500
Knowing Armstrong though, he could probably get Staz with 3rd+sonne+mcrae.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:30 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

^Imagine that, overall we'd have taken the Avs three best players from them for (basically) nothing.

Or at least the three players that used to kill us back when they were competitive.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:34 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
^Imagine that, overall we'd have taken the Avs three best players from them for (basically) nothing.

Or at least the three players that used to kill us back when they were competitive.
Think how much differently those 2 teams would be had that trade never gone down. Sure they got their "#1 franchise defenseman" but he's already 25 years old at the start of your rebuild and has hit his ceiling.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:32 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

I really don't think Stastny is the guy. If Jaskin is ready to come in next year and make an impact I would like to see the Blues put together a package for Nick Backstrom. Maybe Berglund+Perron+Cole. Overpayment.... yeah maybe but for a player like that you would have to overpay. The bring over Lehtera and resign Leopold.

Schwartz-Backstrom-Stewart
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Jaskin-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Cracknell-Sobotka-Porter
Reaves

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Leopold-Polak
Russell

Old
04-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
If Colorado would eat 2.6M of his salary then at the draft I'd trade Berglund and maybe a Fairchild level prospect. If Colorado wouldn't eat salary then I pretty much would just keep the cheaper asset for the same number of points.
Berglund just isn't the same number of points. Stastny has averaged over 57 points per 82 games over the last 3 seasons, Berglund has averaged under 46. Stastny has been doing that with garbage wingers for the majority.

Arguments can certainly be made about his contract, but any deal in the summer would have to be contingent on him signing a much more friendly contract as soon as he was traded. Something around $5m isn't an overpayment even if his production wasn't to increase. Who knows what he would want.

You can't read too much into his contract either. The Flames wanted to move Bouwmeester now, which created problems for a lot of buyers with the cap going down next season. Some teams are going to have a similar problem with Stastny, but I think teams will be more flexible in finding a solution for a centre than a D. The Avs don't need to move him either, if they choose to extend ROR then that won't start until 2014/15. Moving him mid-season would create a lot more interest, unless he made it clear he had a preference where he wanted to go and sign an extension.

Stastny is probably our best chance to "buy low" on a potential #1 centre. At worst, he would be a far better fit of a #2C than Berglund is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
I really don't think Stastny is the guy. If Jaskin is ready to come in next year and make an impact I would like to see the Blues put together a package for Nick Backstrom. Maybe Berglund+Perron+Cole. Overpayment.... yeah maybe but for a player like that you would have to overpay. The bring over Lehtera and resign Leopold.

Schwartz-Backstrom-Stewart
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Jaskin-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Cracknell-Sobotka-Porter
Reaves

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Leopold-Polak
Russell
Why would the Capitals trade Bäckström? They aren't going to be drafting high enough to get a replacement, Kuznetsov isn't coming over until 2014 and they don't have the depth in the position to move him. $6.5m+ for each of the next 7 seasons would be tough for us to afford as well.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Berglund just isn't the same number of points. Stastny has averaged over 57 points per 82 games over the last 3 seasons, Berglund has averaged under 46. Stastny has been doing that with garbage wingers for the majority.

Arguments can certainly be made about his contract, but any deal in the summer would have to be contingent on him signing a much more friendly contract as soon as he was traded. Something around $5m isn't an overpayment even if his production wasn't to increase. Who knows what he would want.

You can't read too much into his contract either. The Flames wanted to move Bouwmeester now, which created problems for a lot of buyers with the cap going down next season. Some teams are going to have a similar problem with Stastny, but I think teams will be more flexible in finding a solution for a centre than a D. The Avs don't need to move him either, if they choose to extend ROR then that won't start until 2014/15. Moving him mid-season would create a lot more interest, unless he made it clear he had a preference where he wanted to go and sign an extension.

Stastny is probably our best chance to "buy low" on a potential #1 centre. At worst, he would be a far better fit of a #2C than Berglund is.

Why would the Capitals trade Bäckström? They aren't going to be drafting high enough to get a replacement, Kuznetsov isn't coming over until 2014 and they don't have the depth in the position to move him. $6.5m+ for each of the next 7 seasons would be tough for us to afford as well.
I doubt that they would but the assets we give up would roughly match the salary we would be giving up. If they re-sign Riberio they would have him and Johanssen and Berglund as their centers get a much needed upgrade of wing and young bottom 4 defenseman. I know only in a dream world this would happen but 3 quality pieces for a superstar. I think McPhee would think about it.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Deko

To
Chris Stewart
Patrik Berglund

To
Joe Pavelski
a pick (3rd round or 4th) (not necessary)

Why would this be a good trade for the Sharks? In Stewart they would get an elite RW, which they are currently missing and in Berglund a decent 3rd line center.

Why would this be a good trade for the Blues? They would get a ~60 points per season producing center who is in his prime and would open some cap space for Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo's extensions (if there truly is an internal budget).

Afaic Lehterä is not a good choice on 3rd line because he can't defend well and he doesn't have any grit. It's either scoring line or not at all.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
To
Chris Stewart
Patrik Berglund

To
Joe Pavelski

Why would this be a good trade for the Sharks? In Stewart they would get an elite RW, which they are currently missing and in Berglund a decent 3rd line center.

Why would this be a good trade for the Blues? They would get a ~60 points per season producing center who is in his prime and would open some cap space for Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo's extensions (if there truly is an internal budget).

Afaic Lehterä is not a good choice on 3rd line because he can't defend well and he doesn't have any grit. It's either scoring line or not at all.
Huge overpayment. Perron + something small would likely be enough. I wouldn't deal Stewart straight across, nevermind adding to him.

As for Lehterä, he doesn't have grit, but he isn't soft. The whole "3rd line" stuff doesn't apply to the Blues when we have the winger depth that we do. If you want to list Backes as the third line C, then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
I doubt that they would but the assets we give up would roughly match the salary we would be giving up. If they re-sign Riberio they would have him and Johanssen and Berglund as their centers get a much needed upgrade of wing and young bottom 4 defenseman. I know only in a dream world this would happen but 3 quality pieces for a superstar. I think McPhee would think about it.
McPhee seems to be getting desperate, I see him moving out more futures before downgrading roster pieces. You are right about being salary neutral in the short term, but going forward it wouldn't be cheap. Even if we got Stastny, Berglund and a winger (likely Perron) would need to be moved to make cap space in the short term.

The Bruins talk about depth at centre, I'm just not sure how attainable Krejčí would be. He is a better fit financially (2 more years at $5.25m) and would allow them to move Seguin back to C fulltime. I think they would want Oshie or Stewart coming back though.

Really not easy to come up with players that could be available.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
To
Chris Stewart
Patrik Berglund

To
Joe Pavelski

That's a terrible trade for the Blues. I would do one of those guys but not both. I love Pavelski but he's not worth both. Not even close.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:43 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Pavelski is exactly the player that we don't need. He doesn't bring anything new and his past 2 playoffs have been terrible.

If we want a playmaking offensive center, then Pavelski isn't our guy.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I love Little Joe, but aside from faceoffs, he may not even be an upgrade over Berglund. At best, he's a slight upgrade.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
To
Chris Stewart
Patrik Berglund

To
Joe Pavelski

Lol no. See ya.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:29 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Hey look, a Stewart + Berglund trade less well received than my Bobby Ryan idea last year (which I hope to bump in ten years )

Old
04-05-2013, 11:43 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Get Thornton, backload some contracts, and roll these lines.

Schwartz-Thornton-Stewart
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Jaskin-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Porter-Sobotka-Cracknell
Reaves,

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

A decision will be made on how the goalies play down the stretch. Maybe we try and keep Leopold, but likely he would be just a rental in this scenario. Perron and Berglund are both gone, Perron used for Thornton and Berglund is used for futures or something.

Edit: Had Sobotka out of the lineup, epic fail on that. Nichol doesn't return then.

Last edited by bleedblue1223: 04-05-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old
04-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
To
Chris Stewart
Patrik Berglund

To
Joe Pavelski

Ha!

Terrible trade for the blues.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I only want Thornton if we can also trade for Marchment, Probert and Manson at the same time.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:11 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I only want Thornton if we can also trade for Marchment, Probert and Manson at the same time.
Haha, I can't stand Joe either, but he would solve everything that our top 9 lacks IMO.

With much of a POS he is, I thought he'd have more hits though lol.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Returning to the Bouwmeester trade for a second: Jay Feaster has a mandate from ownership to make the playoffs next season and Ken King and Edwards clearly won't let Feaster do a true rebuild. The extra year on JayBo's contract harmed his trade value this deadline to the point where there were only two teams truly in the running. So why not just hold on to him through the rest of this season and into next, actually pretend that Calgary has a chance to make the playoffs (obviously they are better with JB than without him), and then peddle him next deadline when they are inevitably out of it. With his contract set to expire, the demand and subsequent return for Bouwmeester would theoretically be much higher.

Seriously, how can you have a mandate to make the playoffs next season and then deal your best defenseman with a year left on his deal and at a time when his trade value was the lowest? The notion that ownership demanded that Feaster unload Bouwmeester's salary for next season seems to conflict with the post-deadline information.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Haha, I can't stand Joe either, but he would solve everything that our top 9 lacks IMO.

With much of a POS he is, I thought he'd have more hits though lol.
He would be ideal, he is just too old. 34 going into next season, 35 when his contract expires and he'd be looking for 1 last big payday.

Not against going after a 33 year old player, but not at that kind of asset cost. We have to see our window as a lot longer than the 3-4 years he'd be able to give us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Returning to the Bouwmeester trade for a second: Jay Feaster has a mandate from ownership to make the playoffs next season and Ken King and Edwards clearly won't let Feaster do a true rebuild. The extra year on JayBo's contract harmed his trade value this deadline to the point where there were only two teams truly in the running. So why not just hold on to him through the rest of this season and into next, actually pretend that Calgary has a chance to make the playoffs (obviously they are better with JB than without him), and then peddle him next deadline when they are inevitably out of it. With his contract set to expire, the demand and subsequent return for Bouwmeester would theoretically be much higher.

Seriously, how can you have a mandate to make the playoffs next season and then deal your best defenseman with a year left on his deal and at a time when his trade value was the lowest? The notion that ownership demanded that Feaster unload Bouwmeester's salary for next season seems to conflict with the post-deadline information.
Jarome Iginla.

Feaster had just been schooled in what a NTC can do at a deadline, and had he waited until next season then there is no guarantee what Bouwmeester would have done. People will say he didn't do badly in the Bouwmeester trade because the return is basically identical to Iginla; while Iginla might have been more in demand, Bouwmeester was a long term solution for teams. Just wasn't a very good return for them.

Boumesster isn't worth his $6.7m caphit, but the Flames don't exactly need to clear the cap space given the FA market is non-existant this season. They should have waited until the draft when teams have a better idea of how things look for them next season and anyone interested could have talked contract extension with Bouwmeester. Eat 25% of the salary next season, let him sign a $5m long term extension with his new team and they should have been able to get a much better return.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Wonder if Richards is bought out if we'd have interest. Some team would probably give him real money though.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Wonder if Richards is bought out if we'd have interest. Some team would probably give him real money though.
Toronto will give him like 30 years for 500 mil or something.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:26 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Toronto will give him like 30 years for 500 mil or something.
That's the some team I was talking about, but the Burke and the fans aren't the GM anymore.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
That's the some team I was talking about, but the Burke and the fans aren't the GM anymore.
Then Detroit will offer him it and be Dats' replacement for when he retires after next year.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:31 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I highly doubt he'd be bought out anyway.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:32 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Calling it now...Army will make a trade with Ottawa at the draft. Stewart for one of their up and comers.

Closed Thread