HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 07:15 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
I just don't buy Berglund as a perennial 30 goal scorer. He had a crazy hot streak and his shooting % is still at a ridiculous rate.

He has the talent to be that good, but his play doesn't match his talent. As far as the Carter comparison, Carter shoots like there's no tomorrow, that's how Berglund needs to shoot. If Berglund does that, then he would be a great player for us. Berglund needs to look at how Steen and Backes play, how aggressive they are with their shooting and do what they do.

If Berglund can get in the 200-250 range in shots, he'd be way more valuable for us. Just look at his game log, you see a major change in the amount of shots he takes in his last 13 games.

Last 13 games: 2 goals on 10 shots. 0.78 shots per game.
First 25 games: 13 goals on 47 shots. 1.88 shots per game.

He still has a similar shooting percentage, he just isn't shooting. This is not something new, this is who Berglund is. Like Stewart, he can dominate at times and be completely invisible at times. Berglund just happens to be invisible more often than not.

It's unfortunate because Berglund's potential and talent is exactly what we are looking for.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:10 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

vCash: 500
If he doesn't wake up and play like a beast during these playoffs, then I'm officially done.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:52 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Easton's correct that his numbers make him an average #2 center in the league. I think the reason the focus has moved from left defense to center now is we as a fanbase are thinking about a championship-caliber lineup, not an average lineup.

Really, the ever-present variable of goaltending aside, the only weakness in the Blues' organization is at center. There's Backes, Berglund and basically nobody else even drafted. There's a hope about Lehtera, but even that hope is a Cajanek-type hope. Backes and Berglund have given the Blues huge, lucky stability by being healthy all the time. If one should sustain an injury, the Blues are in a jam.

I don't think Berglund's terrible. If they can find a way to make him the #3C because he's pushed down the depth chart, he'd be the kind of #3C that other teams would still make offers to bring in as their #2C. But again, this is thinking that reflects trying to assemble a championship-caliber squad. The intent isn't to hate on Berglund. Stewart and Perron have been just as invisible on the scoresheet lately as Berglund has.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Lifetimebluesfan

I just wish Berglund would play with a little more physicality.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
BadgersandBlues

One thing worth mentioning was something Panger said during a broadcast. Berglund has the mentality that he would rather score on one shot all game then shoot five times and not score at all.

I personally think this is the wrong mindset to have, one of the things that makes Steen such an effective player and scorer is that he's almost always shooting the puck. If Berglund did take a page out of his book, he would be -such- a more effective player.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I hope Armstrong uses every pick we have this draft and only pick centers. We have an absurd amount of wingers, our D is set, and we've got good goalies in Lundstrom/Binnington. Just draft all centers like the Islanders drafted all dmen last draft and just hope one pans out.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:23 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
One thing worth mentioning was something Panger said during a broadcast. Berglund has the mentality that he would rather score on one shot all game then shoot five times and not score at all.

I personally think this is the wrong mindset to have, one of the things that makes Steen such an effective player and scorer is that he's almost always shooting the puck. If Berglund did take a page out of his book, he would be -such- a more effective player.
I remember Panger saying that too, and I hate that mindset. Bergie has a VERY good shot, he just doesn't use it nearly enough. I'd love for him to just fire the puck every chance he gets. Really, I want almost all of our players to do that. You just never know what will happen(Steen's goal last night....). I've lost hope that anyone will get that through his head, though. I personally love Bergie, but he is very frustrating at times.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:25 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Berglund misses 100% of the shots he doesn't take.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:26 PM
BlueDream

Berglund doesn't need Gretzky. He has himself.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlSioux View Post
Jets fan coming in peace....

Was curious what some of you HF guys thought of Dustin Byfuglien...I know we need some help up front. thoughts on:

To STL
Buff, Tangradi and 2nd round pick in 2013

to Wpg:
Berglund and Shattenkirk
No thanks. Defense isn't an issue anymore with J Bo.

How would people feel about Little from Winnipeg?

Old
04-11-2013, 01:19 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Q: Will Armstrong look to upgrade the center position in the off-season? Or will they just try to bring Lehtera over and have him join Backes and Berglund?

A: That remains to be seen. In a recent conversation with Army, he said he's been able to get a great evaluation of the young guys this year and will continue to do so down the stretch. He feels like he knows now what he's got in Schwartz and Tarasenko. That will figure into what he does this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some changes, but that will be determined by what happens from here.

Looks like we should expect some sort of move. Schwartz and Tarasenko might have expanded roles next season too.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
How would we be at square one?

#1C+Backes>Backes+Berglund. The idea isn't to get more depth. This team is full of depth. The idea is to make the team better while still being able to retain our depth.
Maybe not square one, i forgot about Backes until after i hit post

I just feel like a lineup of #1C, Backes, Berglund, Sobi is better then having Sobi on line 3 and Nichol on four.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:09 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Maybe not square one, i forgot about Backes until after i hit post

I just feel like a lineup of #1C, Backes, Berglund, Sobi is better then having Sobi on line 3 and Nichol on four.
I dont know about Nichol on 4. I think with the signing of Porter, he takes that spot next year. That doesn't mean we are going to upgrade for sure, but if we can that would put Sobotka on the wing.

After thinking about it a bit, I think these would make a good bet.

Porter in for Nichol
and
Schwartz in for Andy Mac

Old
04-15-2013, 01:47 PM
nicholas89alex

what do you guys think it would take to trade for the rights to draft barkov. I would offer Berglund and rattie. too much? too little?

Old
04-15-2013, 05:27 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
what do you guys think it would take to trade for the rights to draft barkov. I would offer Berglund and rattie. too much? too little?
To little a team would want a lot as Barkov has the potential to be a franchise player.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
nicholas89alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
To little a team would want a lot as Barkov has the potential to be a franchise player.
that's what I thought. but a team like Edmonton who has the skill up front but needs some grit and size to open things up for them, or maybe Elliot in goal. there may be a trade to work there if they finish with the 5th or 6th pick. it would take a lot but it may help the team. I'm just looking for peoples thoughts on this.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:06 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
that's what I thought. but a team like Edmonton who has the skill up front but needs some grit and size to open things up for them, or maybe Elliot in goal. there may be a trade to work there if they finish with the 5th or 6th pick. it would take a lot but it may help the team. I'm just looking for peoples thoughts on this.
I think there are only one or two teams that would be drafting in a spot to grab Barkov that would be willing to trade their pick, Edmonton of course being one. (Tampa being the other possible one. Colorado is a possibility, but they are probably drafting second or third.)

I think Edmonton or Tampa would want some help on defense. Both have some puck movers, and some two-way guys. I think they would want someone like Polak or Jackman coming back. Not the piece that contains the most value coming from the Blues, but a piece that they would insist on in my opinion.

It is an interesting idea, and I'm not opposed to climbing the draft board to get better talent. However, I'm not sure that a guy like Barkov fits into the competitive window that the Blues have opening. (Admittedly, I'm pretty unfamiliar with Barkov.) If the Blues make a move for a center, I don't think it will be for Berglund or Backes' replacement. Could Barkov step in next season and be a difference maker the following? Or will he need a year of development (or two) before making the NHL where he will need a few seasons to break out? Basically, does Barkov project to be a difference maker in two seasons, or five?

Old
04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
I dont know about Nichol on 4. I think with the signing of Porter, he takes that spot next year. That doesn't mean we are going to upgrade for sure, but if we can that would put Sobotka on the wing.

After thinking about it a bit, I think these would make a good bet.

Porter in for Nichol
and
Schwartz in for Andy Mac
I think those are probably pretty safe assumptions.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:01 PM
nicholas89alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I think there are only one or two teams that would be drafting in a spot to grab Barkov that would be willing to trade their pick, Edmonton of course being one. (Tampa being the other possible one. Colorado is a possibility, but they are probably drafting second or third.)

I think Edmonton or Tampa would want some help on defense. Both have some puck movers, and some two-way guys. I think they would want someone like Polak or Jackman coming back. Not the piece that contains the most value coming from the Blues, but a piece that they would insist on in my opinion.

It is an interesting idea, and I'm not opposed to climbing the draft board to get better talent. However, I'm not sure that a guy like Barkov fits into the competitive window that the Blues have opening. (Admittedly, I'm pretty unfamiliar with Barkov.) If the Blues make a move for a center, I don't think it will be for Berglund or Backes' replacement. Could Barkov step in next season and be a difference maker the following? Or will he need a year of development (or two) before making the NHL where he will need a few seasons to break out? Basically, does Barkov project to be a difference maker in two seasons, or five?
the kid has put of 48 points in 53 games in the sm liga this year. he was the youngest player to ever record a oint in the sm liga and has been playing aginst men since he was 15. hell be a difference maker in 2 seasons, if not fewer.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:52 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
the kid has put of 48 points in 53 games in the sm liga this year. he was the youngest player to ever record a oint in the sm liga and has been playing aginst men since he was 15. hell be a difference maker in 2 seasons, if not fewer.
Thats what people said about Granlund too

Old
04-16-2013, 12:11 AM
nicholas89alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
Thats what people said about Granlund too
he's bigger than Granlund and more defensively sound. obviously I'm very big on barkov though, so I will admit that is a fair point. I just think it may be the best way to solve our #1 center problem for a long time

Old
04-16-2013, 01:27 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
he's bigger than Granlund and more defensively sound. obviously I'm very big on barkov though, so I will admit that is a fair point. I just think it may be the best way to solve our #1 center problem for a long time
You might be right, I don't know much about him. I just think a team like ours ("window" open, 2 sophomores and likely 1-2 rookies to integrate) should not lean on a rookie as top6 center.

Minny did, and if he doesn't turn into a playoff-beast, and failed

If we would be a rebuilding team or have some center depth, I guess I'd do it

Old
04-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
If we want Barkov, then we'd be giving up something we don't want to (Backes/Shattenkirk/Tarasenko) and we'd probably have to add. You don't give up potential franchise players simply because you have some players in that position, you make space for them.

Our best hope is that Colorado gets McKinnon and that would basically make Stastny instantly available. Asset cost would be modest, he is an upgrade on what we have and he has a good bit of room for improvement. He isn't worth his current contract, but we'd immediately be able to give him a long tern deal at a much more realistic price.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I have a hard time believing that Seth Jones isn't going to end up a member of the Colorado Avalanche.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I have a hard time believing that Seth Jones isn't going to end up a member of the Colorado Avalanche.
It is difficult to predict where they are going to end up in the draft order. I agree, they'll take Jones if they get the chance, but he is looking more and more like the consensus #1 pick.

If they finish second bottom of the standings, then the chances are 56.2% they will end up with the third overall pick. That could be any of Drouin, MacKinnon or Jones.

Closed Thread