HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Max Talbot Available

Old
03-21-2013, 11:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
The value Philly fans are looking for Talbot is redic in this thread
No, the idea that we should give up a perfectly good forward who can play 3rd line wing, 4th line center, chip in some points, and play great on the PK for a draft pick with less than a 15% chance of even becoming a player of Talbot's quality after 5 years of development, when Talbot has a number of years on his contract remaining at a reasonable price in the middle of his prime and coming off a 19 goal season before being relegated to the 4th line this season, is what is RIDICULOUS (I'ts spelled ridiculous, not rediculous.)

Once again, you see a lot of 2nds and 3rds and 4ths thrown out at the deadline for players without years left on their contracts, mostly because the teams don't feel it is necessary to move forward with players that don't fit in their plans. It's rare that players like Talbot with extra years on their contract get put up at the trade deadline.

Last edited by CS: 03-22-2013 at 12:04 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:13 AM
greenstickytoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
So Read must be somewhat near Plekanec's value?

Yep, it's been discussed a lot that Weber + 2nd theoretically works well for Talbot if the Flyers don't get a better offer.
Read near Plekanes value.. what?

greenstickytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:15 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstickytoes View Post
Read near Plekanes value.. what?
Exactly.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:24 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
He is on pace, prorated over the course of an 82 game season, for 10 goals this year. 4 goals in 30 games. That is more what you can expect from him, and in line with his recent past. He does bring more to the table than goals, but to expect 19 again is unlikely to say the least.
No where in that short sentence did I say I expected more than 19 goals a year. The poster I was quoting said he thought Talbot fell off since arriving to Philly. I just pointed out he had a career year last year.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Halpysback

Talbot to Montreal makes too much sense not to happen

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:26 AM
greenstickytoes

Quote:
Exactly.
you're taking an effective offensive defensemen in Diaz thats getting
better and better every year and that is better than Coburn this
year before he got injured. and comparing them 2 to Read and Plekanec..
idk how Read is near Plekanecs value but you should just stop
commenting. you keep on bringing up comparisons and facts
that are completely irrelevant..
you clearly have too much Bias opinions towards your flyers players.

btw the way Diaz is going, his value is only increasing massively every season.
his progressions keeps increasing and already he's very effective and great.

greenstickytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:32 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Would he be a good fit for the Bruins bottom 6 for playoff depth?

From the sounds of it, he might come cheap?

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:47 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
2nd 2013 + 3rd 2014 + Kevin Connauton (ELC, PMD prospect, NHL ready next year)
would try to not give up a second this year, but I would prob do it in the end

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:00 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Great. Now we get to do the this all over again?

To summarize:
- Flyers fans believe that Talbot's real value is at least 2nd round pick, but that the team would (or should) be reluctant to give him up for a 2nd that because he is signed long-term on a good contract and can always be flipped for roughly the same return later.
- Montreal fans believe he is either a late 2nd or late 3rd (depending on who you ask), and that the Flyers will certainly trade him for that if offered.
- A 2nd round pick has a 15 percent chance of becoming a regular, long-term NHL contributor.

Quote:
He won't get a 1st, but realistically it should be more than a 2nd.

We will see.

2nd + 3rd or 2nd + 4th?

If possible, I think the Flyers would like to move: Meszaros, Briere, possibly Talbot, possibly Coburn, and any of the spare parts not named Gagne.

I hate to say I told you so but........

Last edited by IceDaddy: 03-22-2013 at 04:21 AM.
IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

From what I've seen, he is worth maybe a 3rd.

Kulleroinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:27 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
These are not the defensemen we are looking for.

Anyway, we need young PMDs.
Id offer Weber + a pick

Old
03-22-2013, 04:32 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
2nd.

And I still want to know why the hell Weber has gone from Montreal golden boy to bench warmer in two years...

Is he struggling defensively? Is it something that the Flyers' three stay-at-home blueliners can cover up? Can he move the puck? Are we just trading for another Eminger?

Someone tell me something.
nothing is really wrong with him, he just got passed over by Diaz and The Habs have too many of the same kind of guy.

Quote:
To help us get a PMD in all honesty.

We don't really need him anymore.

I don't see the point because we could use him, but this is Holmgren's party honestly.

McGinn and Laughton could jump up to 3rd line wing roles immediately. Cousins potentially as well. There's intrigue around Flanagan. Holmstrom will be healthy, and hopefully he can take that 4th line center. A lot of us would like to re-sign Gagne. Wellwood and Zolnierczyk are waiting around in the wings.

Talbot has no real reason to be here. Ship him out before we start not needing rather than letting him float around and see what kind of value we can get for him after the fact. It also helps that other options are younger and cheaper even if they're not immediately better.
wha??? Singing a new tune my friend.....

Last edited by IceDaddy: 03-22-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old
03-22-2013, 04:55 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post

wha??? Singing a new tune my friend.....
We don't need Talbot anymore, but we also don't really need to trade him.

What new tune is this? Is it Call Me Maybe? I love that jam. It just speaks to me.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:22 AM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Trade him, so i can like him again

SUBdrewgANS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:27 AM
stardog

Quote:
To help us get a PMD in all honesty.

We don't really need him anymore.

I don't see the point because we could use him, but this is Holmgren's party honestly.

McGinn and Laughton could jump up to 3rd line wing roles immediately. Cousins potentially as well. There's intrigue around Flanagan. Holmstrom will be healthy, and hopefully he can take that 4th line center. A lot of us would like to re-sign Gagne. Wellwood and Zolnierczyk are waiting around in the wings.

Talbot has no real reason to be here. Ship him out before we start not needing rather than letting him float around and see what kind of value we can get for him after the fact. It also helps that other options are younger and cheaper even if they're not immediately better.
I mean in all honesty Chris, what Calibre of a PMD are you expecting for him? Posters on message boards offering up packages and what not don't generally reflect his trade value amongst GM's as you well know.
I'm just curious because I just don't see you getting a whole lot worthwhile for him in terms of a PMD. That position is at a premium currently, and while Max is great at what he does, his kind of role is much easier to fill.

And don't get me wrong. Its not a knock on Talbot because I've loved the guy ever since the Pens drafted him. I was sad to see him go (even more sad to see him go to the Flyers). He surprised the hell outta me with his great season last year, but now that he's fallen back to earth I just don't think he is enough to get you what you are looking for...all depending on the caliber of PMD.

Maybe package him with something else of value?

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:45 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
I mean in all honesty Chris, what Calibre of a PMD are you expecting for him? Posters on message boards offering up packages and what not don't generally reflect his trade value amongst GM's as you well know.
I'm just curious because I just don't see you getting a whole lot worthwhile for him in terms of a PMD. That position is at a premium currently, and while Max is great at what he does, his kind of role is much easier to fill.

And don't get me wrong. Its not a knock on Talbot because I've loved the guy ever since the Pens drafted him. I was sad to see him go (even more sad to see him go to the Flyers). He surprised the hell outta me with his great season last year, but now that he's fallen back to earth I just don't think he is enough to get you what you are looking for...all depending on the caliber of PMD.

Maybe package him with something else of value?
I'm hoping for no better than a bottom pairing PMD of equal standing to the kind of position Talbot secures in an offensive lineup or a higher potential PMD prospect who may develop into something a little better but for which the organization will have to wait offsetting the value inherent in Talbot's existing contract. This is not 1st round or bluechip PMD discussion.

That or picks that demonstrate the validly of Talbot's NHL contract since he's not an organizational "throw-away" player at the trade deadline on the final year of his contract. A second with a 15% rate of becoming as good as Talbot is does not exactly cut it for a guy with years left locked up and a consistent level of play. A 2nd is something you ask for when Talbot is at the end of his term. Trading him for less at this point makes no sense because by his very nature he is worth more than that.

As far as packaging him with something else for a better return, it's possible. There were a few inquiries about a Meszaros+Talbot(+) package on the trade deadline market.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:30 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Fairchild seems to have regressed. Last year I would have considered it, but it doesn't seem like he's progressing very well.

Schmaltz and Cole are the guys I have interest in from your more touchable young blueline pieces.
I would move Cole for Talbot, but only if I could get a decent stay at home D man in a separate trade(Regehr for a 2nd or something similar).

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:48 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I would move Cole for Talbot, but only if I could get a decent stay at home D man in a separate trade(Regehr for a 2nd or something similar).
And nobody else would.

Cole/Schmaltz won't be on the table for Talbot or Meszároš.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:01 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
And nobody else would.

Cole/Schmaltz won't be on the table for Talbot or Meszároš.
God forbid we move our 7th D man for a gritty 3rd line defensive center who scores clutch goals and has Cup winning experience.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Psuhockey

Talbot under normal circumstances would probably be worth only a 2nd rd pick. However, this year is not normal. It's a sellers market and a guy like Talbot could get significantly more. Paul Gaustad got a 1st last year and he was going to be a UFA. Talbot signed for 3 more years at a reasonable cap hit, which is important with the cap going down next year. The Flyers don't have to trade Talbot so expect a big overpayment.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
So why is he being shopped?
Is there any evidence he is being shopped?

The report is that he's available--that the team would accept calls and consider moving him for the right return. That's a bit different from the normal UFA-at-deadline process, when a player has to get dumped.

I think that's the main disconnect here between Flyers fans and non-Flyers fans.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:

Diaz has yet to have a full season with his sudden explosion of productivity. He could easily be another Grabner or worse. Meanwhile, Coburn is a consistent and proven defenseman. Comparing the two is akin to comparing Read with Plekanec. One is clearly superior and for most that answer is obvious.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:06 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
No, the idea that we should give up a perfectly good forward who can play 3rd line wing, 4th line center, chip in some points, and play great on the PK for a draft pick with less than a 15% chance of even becoming a player of Talbot's quality after 5 years of development, when Talbot has a number of years on his contract remaining at a reasonable price in the middle of his prime and coming off a 19 goal season before being relegated to the 4th line this season, is what is RIDICULOUS (I'ts spelled ridiculous, not rediculous.)

Once again, you see a lot of 2nds and 3rds and 4ths thrown out at the deadline for players without years left on their contracts, mostly because the teams don't feel it is necessary to move forward with players that don't fit in their plans. It's rare that players like Talbot with extra years on their contract get put up at the trade deadline.
Talbot's 19 goal season was an aberration, nothing more.

Just like his cup run with the Penguins. Talbot's contract is too high, no one at the deadline is going to take a guy with a pricey contract with years left on it.

Talbot's problem isn't his cap hit-it's the number of years. His value should be lowered because of it, not raised.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Jumping

Quote:

Mr. Shafer forgot to add this

Last edited by Jumping: 03-22-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: clarity
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:09 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Talbot under normal circumstances would probably be worth only a 2nd rd pick. However, this year is not normal. It's a sellers market and a guy like Talbot could get significantly more. Paul Gaustad got a 1st last year and he was going to be a UFA. Talbot signed for 3 more years at a reasonable cap hit, which is important with the cap going down next year. The Flyers don't have to trade Talbot so expect a big overpayment.
Paul Gaustad was a center, much taller than Talbot. He has way more value than an energy right wing.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote