HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What The Hell Happened To...Oleg Saprykin?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
  #1
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner
 
JohnnyDrama21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
What The Hell Happened To...Oleg Saprykin?

http://thefarmclub.net/2013/01/04/wh...oleg-saprykin/

I wasn't even a Flames fan btu I remember the hype surrounding him around 99/00. Briefly collected him, too. Seems like all of the '99 Draft qualifies for this.


Last edited by Stewie Griffin: 04-18-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:42 PM
  #2
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,204
vCash: 50
Edit the title to 'What The Hell Happened To... The Flames prospects from 1998 to 2007.

Regarding Sapyrkin though, I think he was just rushed.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
  #3
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,898
vCash: 133
Quote:
Calgary played him on a line with fellow top prospects Daniel Tkaczuk and Rico Fata during the 1999 pre-season on a line the local media dubbed “the line of the future”.
Mother of god that is depressing.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:17 PM
  #4
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Mother of god that is depressing.
All that should do is point to us now and say "Dont be so optimistic"

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
  #5
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
The science behind drafting was all kinds of ****ed, honestly until quite recently.

Things like hiding players, getting hall of famers in ridiculously late rounds... Kind of a different time, even 15 years back. Oleg was a great junior player and I always liked him. However, much as the story is for the Calgary flames, bust city. I don't even think he is a star in the khl lol.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:44 PM
  #6
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,893
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
All that should do is point to us now and say "Dont be so optimistic"
As with other rebuilding teams such as Edmonton, Florida, or Colorado.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:05 PM
  #7
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,800
vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Mother of god that is depressing.
That is why some of us are somewhat... apprehensive about a rebuild. Also this:




As for Saprykin, I believe he was part of the trade that brought in Daymond Langkow. I don't know that he was rushed but there was a threat of going back to Russia instead of playing in the AHL.

Never really met expectations of some, unless those expectations were of a third line scoring winger.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:00 PM
  #8
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Oleg had all good elements, size speed and decent hands. He just lacked hockey sense and his shot wasn't very strong. He basically overpowered junior players in the whl but they never let him adjust properly in the nhl. I liked him, and it's a pity.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:04 PM
  #9
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,204
vCash: 50
Saprykin, Fata, Tkazcuk, Morris, Cavanaugh, Stoll, Taratukhin...

Pretty amazing how many guys the Flames had who either never hit their true potential, or were dealt away before they could.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:08 PM
  #10
Feel The Heat
Registered User
 
Feel The Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 50
Currently playing in the KHL for Salavat Yulaev Ufa

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:08 PM
  #11
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Saprykin, Fata, Tkazcuk, Morris, Cavanaugh, Stoll, Taratukhin...

Pretty amazing how many guys the Flames had who either never hit their true potential, or were dealt away before they could.
Calgary's pretty good at missing the mark at the draft. They're also really good at rushing kids into the NHL and ****ing up their development curve playing on very poor teams, or under coaches in the AHL that don't quite understand player development *cough*.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
  #12
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,800
vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Saprykin, Fata, Tkazcuk, Morris, Cavanaugh, Stoll, Taratukhin...

Pretty amazing how many guys the Flames had who either never hit their true potential, or were dealt away before they could.
Stoll was never able to negotiate a contract with the Flames, and re-entered the draft.

Morris was traded for equally valuable parts in Drury (who turned into Reinprecht and Warrener and Yelle.

The rest never really panned out (I actually had to look up Dan Cavanaugh) mostly because our entire scouting staff at the time was made up of like three guys. Basically, just bad talent assessment.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:15 PM
  #13
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Saprykin, Fata, Tkazcuk, Morris, Cavanaugh, Stoll, Taratukhin...

Pretty amazing how many guys the Flames had who either never hit their true potential, or were dealt away before they could.
Taratukhin never was given a good chance despite doing solid in the AHL, this was a asset mismanagement. Tkazuck ran into injuries otherwise he would be ok too. Morris was fine, we just happened to trade him.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:56 PM
  #14
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Taratukhin never was given a good chance despite doing solid in the AHL, this was a asset mismanagement. Tkazuck ran into injuries otherwise he would be ok too. Morris was fine, we just happened to trade him.
Didn't Taratukhin put up over 50, or 60 points in his first AHL season?
That's incredibly poor management, those were years where plugs like Boyd, Nilson, Moss and even no names like Smith and Godard were getting ice time, instead of possible high skilled players.

Calgary needs to find that sweet, sweet balance of skill/strength. It seems they either go too far one way, or the other lol.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:25 AM
  #15
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,800
vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Didn't Taratukhin put up over 50, or 60 points in his first AHL season?
Yes, and so did those "superstars" Dustin Boyd and Carsen German. And hasn't had a sniff near that production in the KHL.

A lot of people blame the Flames development system for ruining "good" prospects. I blame the Flames scouting system for making lousy picks in the first place.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:50 AM
  #16
saillias
Registered User
 
saillias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
That is why some of us are somewhat... apprehensive about a rebuild. Also this:




As for Saprykin, I believe he was part of the trade that brought in Daymond Langkow. I don't know that he was rushed but there was a threat of going back to Russia instead of playing in the AHL.

Never really met expectations of some, unless those expectations were of a third line scoring winger.
I've seen this picture a lot recently, not sure what's wrong with it. Wiemer and Simpson were plugs, but those other players were some of our best in that era. Morris is still a top 4 D. Stillman won 2 consecutive cups with 2 different teams. The problem was the lack of a salary cap and the fact we couldn't spend enough to field competitive teams... Val, Morris, Iggy, Stillman were good pieces.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 04:36 PM
  #17
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Yes, and so did those "superstars" Dustin Boyd and Carsen German. And hasn't had a sniff near that production in the KHL.

A lot of people blame the Flames development system for ruining "good" prospects. I blame the Flames scouting system for making lousy picks in the first place.
Considering Boyd was rushed to the NHL and then squandered on the 4th line while Taratukhin was never even given a cup of coffee in the NHL despite impressive numbers in the AHL, it's a fair point to say the Flames had a poor developmental process. But that's in conjunction with a poor drafting system.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:16 PM
  #18
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Considering Boyd was rushed to the NHL and then squandered on the 4th line while Taratukhin was never even given a cup of coffee in the NHL despite impressive numbers in the AHL, it's a fair point to say the Flames had a poor developmental process. But that's in conjunction with a poor drafting system.
Calgary fashion right up in here.
If we **** a prospect up, we want to **** him up the entire process baby. From bad drafting, to bad development and finally to making them wait in the minors as we play 34+ year old's or rushing them up here and burying them on the fourth line to teach those highly skilled guys that they need to grind.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:26 PM
  #19
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 50
Or it had nothing to do with the coaching staff, but these bums just didn't have what it takes to be big time NHLers. At some point you have to put the blame at the source, and not try and find faults.
Vesa Vitakoski was another who we all thought was going to be great, but didn't amout to spit.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
  #20
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Or it had nothing to do with the coaching staff, but these bums just didn't have what it takes to be big time NHLers. At some point you have to put the blame at the source, and not try and find faults.
Vesa Vitakoski was another who we all thought was going to be great, but didn't amout to spit.
Taratukhin was never even given a shift in the NHL, despite impressive efforts, but somehow that means he couldn't be an NHLer?

Or how about Backlund - he, as a player, was almost completely written off by the end of last year. Apparently, being buried on the 3rd and 4th lines with the likes of Kostopolous and Jackman, wasn't a sufficient enough excuse for the lack of production. Most Flames fans considered him a bust. And had Sutter remained head coach, he'd probably be on another team right now, traded for scraps.

However, because Hartley actually gave Backlund the opportunity to play with other skilled players and didn't try to force him to be a grinder, he suddenly looks like the player he was expected to be when he was first drafted. The way in which the Flames handled Backlund absolutely supports the conclusion that the franchise is (or at least was) inept when it came to developing prospects. From rushing him to NHL without adequate time to adjust in the AHL, to squandering his abilities on the 3rd and 4th lines while the team struggled to score, the Flames made numerous mistakes with Backlund's development.

The Flames as an organization aren't infallible. Neither are coaches. Fans need to accept and get over the fact that the organization has made mistakes in the past. In reality, they drafted horribly and they developed horribly.

Sometimes a player just ends up busting. For example, Daniel Ryder. However, there are also times when a players growth is stunted or entirely inhibited because of faulty management.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:45 PM
  #21
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 67
^^ Backlund was nearly written off for good reason. He had a lot of opportunities and wasn't making the impact he was capable of.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:17 PM
  #22
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
^^ Backlund was nearly written off for good reason. He had a lot of opportunities and wasn't making the impact he was capable of.
Second full season with the Flames and runs into injury trouble. Initially promised an opportunity to centre the first line, but after suffering a hand injury in pre-season, he gets pushed to the third and fourth line after coming back. Stay's on those lines for the rest of his season and never gets an opportunity to come out of Sutter's doghouse. What opportunity did he get in his second year that he failed to deliver on? Or do people think it's reasonable for a rookie to put up gaudy point totals while playing in the bottom six with ten or minutes of ice time a night?

First full season with the Flames Backlund managed a respectable 25 points in 73 games. Injury issues, getting stuck with bottom six players and subsequent confidence issues hampered his second season. Anyone writing him off based on that two year sample was being terribly premature.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:46 PM
  #23
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,699
vCash: 50
He wasn't as mentally strong before. The few opportunities he had he missed on. Part of the maturation process and I think Hartley has had a really positive influence on his attitude and his game.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:51 AM
  #24
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Taratukhin was never even given a shift in the NHL, despite impressive efforts, but somehow that means he couldn't be an NHLer?

Or how about Backlund - he, as a player, was almost completely written off by the end of last year. Apparently, being buried on the 3rd and 4th lines with the likes of Kostopolous and Jackman, wasn't a sufficient enough excuse for the lack of production. Most Flames fans considered him a bust. And had Sutter remained head coach, he'd probably be on another team right now, traded for scraps.
However, because Hartley actually gave Backlund the opportunity to play with other skilled players and didn't try to force him to be a grinder, he suddenly looks like the player he was expected to be when he was first drafted. The way in which the Flames handled Backlund absolutely supports the conclusion that the franchise is (or at least was) inept when it came to developing prospects. From rushing him t
o NHL without adequate time to adjust in the AHL, to squandering his abilities on the 3rd and 4th lines while the team struggled to score, the Flames made numerous mistakes with Backlund's development.

The Flames as an organization aren't infallible. Neither are coaches. Fans need to accept and get over the fact that the organization has made mistakes in the past. In reality, they drafted horribly and they developed horribly.

Sometimes a player just ends up busting. For example, Daniel Ryder. However, there are also times when a players growth is stunted or entirely inhibited because of faulty management.

I agreed with your point on Backlund...

As for Taratukhin and the rest of the other prospects, it's a scouting problem....I still dont understand why Todd Button still gets to keep his job...

You cant create talent if it's not there...

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:04 AM
  #25
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
I agreed with your point on Backlund...
As for Taratukhin and the rest of the other prospects, it's a scouting problem....I still dont understand why Todd Button still gets to keep his job...
You cant create talent if it's not there...
The Calgary problem was three fold.
We couldn't scout worth a damn, we couldn't develop worth a damn and we never gave kids the proper role/opportunity to develop.

I also agree with the Backlund post. I always liked the kid, and from his time at the WJ's and even in the short time in the Dub, he always seemed impressive to me. The way they managed him was pathetic; I remember saying that he needed a chance to play with other high end players, needed powerplay time and needed the right conditions, around this time last year (when I pretty much joined this forum)... And the amount of people who were playing the bust card, especially this one incredibly rude dude that use to post here... forget his name, rare steak or something... Came after me quite hard. "Oh, he's had PP time, Oh, he's played with Jarome and didn't play well, Oh; this that, or the other thing".

He's proven everyone wrong, I hope they give him a 3-4 year contract this summer; because I think he could anchor a second line that is all kinds of dangerous.
Glencross - Backlund - Hudler looked really good the games they were together; I mean, they can't be looked at as a first line of course (pretty much what they were since being formed/lack of talent left on this team). But as a second line... I think that'd be one of the higher up ones in the league.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.