HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Danny DeKeyser thread of magical mystery

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 03:03 AM
  #451
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obey86 View Post
Oh yeah?



Well, ha!
Kind of hoping they would trade Cleary as part of how they avoid this confusion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 03:06 AM
  #452
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Detroit on the other hand doesn't have that great of a track record in development, or of Defensemen anyhow.
When Detroit played their best defensive hockey of the season it was with six d-man the Wings had drafted/free agent signed and spent time developing there

Only Quincey left and came back.

Kronwall, Ericsson, Kindl, Smith, Quincey and Lashoff allowed 8 goals over a seven game stretch in February. All started in the system and developed for considerable time. On top of that being a local guy he would also remember homegrown products Lidstrom, Konstantinov, and Fischer. Interesting theory there unfortunately it doesn't really scan.

Also Toronto wouldn't jump to the front if this is what he was thinking about and you throw out go with more recent success, that would be Nashville.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 03:37 AM
  #453
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hermitage, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Also Toronto wouldn't jump to the front if this is what he was thinking about and you throw out go with more recent success, that would be Nashville.
That's what we are hoping for. Dmen seem to thrive here.

kypredsfan is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 03:44 AM
  #454
obey86
Registered User
 
obey86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post

Detroit on the other hand doesn't have that great of a track record in development, or of Defensemen anyhow.
Meh, from 1998-2010 the Red Wings only drafted a total of 4 D-men in rounds 1 and 2. 3 of them are on the team right now and the other one was on his way to being a stud until he collapsed on the ice in an NHL game and had to quit playing hockey.

Sorry they haven't had any top 10 picks to get surefire studs.

The d corps they are playing every game right now (well, until quincey hurt his jaw the other day anyways) is made up entirely of drafted players.

Seems like a pretty good success rate to me.

obey86 is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 03:49 AM
  #455
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hermitage, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obey86 View Post
Meh, from 1998-2010 the Red Wings only drafted a total of 4 D-men in rounds 1 and 2. 3 of them are on the team right now and the other one was on his way to being a stud until he collapsed on the ice in an NHL game and had to quit playing hockey.

Sorry they haven't had any top 10 picks to get surefire studs.

The d corps they are playing every game right now (well, until quincey hurt his jaw the other day anyways) is made up entirely of drafted players.

Seems like a pretty good success rate to me.
Preds never get a top 10 pick and are doing very well with homegrown dmen.

kypredsfan is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:24 AM
  #456
DatsyukianDeke*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Preds never get a top 10 pick and are doing very well with homegrown dmen.
They just drafted Ryan Ellis at 10th overall 3 years ago. Ryan Suter was a first rounder (7th), Dan Hamuis was a first round (11th), Blum was a first round (18th), and Ryan Parent (17th).

Pretty close to have a lot of good draft picks in the first round.

DatsyukianDeke* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:05 AM
  #457
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hermitage, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
They just drafted Ryan Ellis at 10th overall 3 years ago. Ryan Suter was a first rounder (7th), Dan Hamuis was a first round (11th), Blum was a first round (18th), and Ryan Parent (17th).

Pretty close to have a lot of good draft picks in the first round.
I never said we didn't draft dmen in the 1st round, we do that more often than not. Suter was a long while ago, but it's not often the Preds draft in the top (almost guartanteed) spots with their own pick.

kypredsfan is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
  #458
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I never said we didn't draft dmen in the 1st round, we do that more often than not. Suter was a long while ago, but it's not often the Preds draft in the top (almost guartanteed) spots with their own pick.
it dosent really matter whos pick it belongs to as i dont see that as the arguement.

the point is simply, that typically unless you draft in the top 10-15 the chances of landing a stud dman(or forward) are much more limited.

the wings have simply not been in a position to draft high in the first round inorder to grab a more probable stud player in over 20 years

Zetterberg4Captain is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:59 AM
  #459
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
They just drafted Ryan Ellis at 10th overall 3 years ago. Ryan Suter was a first rounder (7th), Dan Hamuis was a first round (11th), Blum was a first round (18th), and Ryan Parent (17th).

Pretty close to have a lot of good draft picks in the first round.
and all 4 of our current top 4 dmen were not 1st rounders--that weber guy, klein, josi, and bartley. 1st round or not, the preds can identify solid top 4 dmen and develop them. I don't think another organization can match what the preds have done over the past 10 years with dmen (almost by necessity though)

token grinder is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:21 AM
  #460
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obey86 View Post
Meh, from 1998-2010 the Red Wings only drafted a total of 4 D-men in rounds 1 and 2. 3 of them are on the team right now and the other one was on his way to being a stud until he collapsed on the ice in an NHL game and had to quit playing hockey.

Sorry they haven't had any top 10 picks to get surefire studs.

The d corps they are playing every game right now (well, until quincey hurt his jaw the other day anyways) is made up entirely of drafted players.

Seems like a pretty good success rate to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
When Detroit played their best defensive hockey of the season it was with six d-man the Wings had drafted/free agent signed and spent time developing there

Only Quincey left and came back.

Kronwall, Ericsson, Kindl, Smith, Quincey and Lashoff allowed 8 goals over a seven game stretch in February. All started in the system and developed for considerable time. On top of that being a local guy he would also remember homegrown products Lidstrom, Konstantinov, and Fischer. Interesting theory there unfortunately it doesn't really scan.

Also Toronto wouldn't jump to the front if this is what he was thinking about and you throw out go with more recent success, that would be Nashville.
Ok, well maybe I should rephrase, Detroit is a team not known to hand out golden opportunities to just anyone. You have to earn it, but maybe that was when they had the skill\talent to do so, and now the retirement of Lidstrom, age of others, is forcing their hands?

Also I am talking as of recent, I mean a lot changes in 20 years. Konstantinov, Lidstrom, these guys are almost as old as Babcock himself. Quincey was waived, and found success almost immediately after leaving Detroit. I'd say his development speaks more in terms of how a lack of opportunity may of been holding him back.

Your right, it's probably too soon to tell in Toronto, but if you look at opportunity, Toronto over the past 4 years, has really been giving their youth an abundance of opportunities.


... As for Nashville, they aren't exactly a team on the rise, or a destination of choice for any player, which I think obviously still is somewhat of a factor.

No disrespect to Detroit, but they are a team that doesn't appear to be on the rise either. Datsyuk's future with the team is in question, or so I read it was, Lidstrom has retired, Zetterberg & Franzen are in their 30's.

If I was Dekeyser, I'd be giving a serious consideration to Ottawa, a team definitely on the rise, and a team that is developing players at a rapid pace (whether it be in the A, or in the NHL). With Phillips aging, Cowen's injury history, there appears to be opportunity there too. [Edit]Minnesota would seem to be a good destination as well, in terms of potential opportunity\team on the rise.[/Edit]

Again, If I'm in Dekeyser's shoes, Detroit obviously stands out for personal reasons, there appears to be immediate spots for him to take claim too, not to mention the opportunity to learn from elite, Stanley Cup winning players\Coach as well. As far as future goes, I'd say the teams long term future\Success is up in the air at this point.

Toronto would scare the crap out of me too, because of the obvious media circus & rollercoasting drama. This can be an attraction for some young players though. Although, you would expect their depth would quickly take them out of the running, with Franson, Reilly, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Holzer, Fraser, Liles, Blacker, possibly Ranger, newly acquired Marshall, soon to be pro prospect Percy. That's a pretty significant amount of competition.


Last edited by Antropovsky: 03-27-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Antropovsky is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:51 AM
  #461
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hermitage, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Trotz said this morning that the Preds have been in contact with DD for years now and that he feels like we are very comfortable with him. The Preds are definitely very high on him and Trotz was very hopeful. Wait and see.

kypredsfan is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 11:06 AM
  #462
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post

No disrespect to Detroit, but they are a team that doesn't appear to be on the rise either. Datsyuk's future with the team is in question, or so I read it was, Lidstrom has retired, Zetterberg & Franzen are in their 30's.
I'm just trying to figure out when people are going to finally give up on trying to predict Detroit's demise. It's been going on for nearly 10 years now. Everybody said it would finally happen when Lidstrom retired, and yet Detroit's currently resting on a top 10 defense in the league.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
  #463
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I'm just trying to figure out when people are going to finally give up on trying to predict Detroit's demise. It's been going on for nearly 10 years now. Everybody said it would finally happen when Lidstrom retired, and yet Detroit's currently resting on a top 10 defense in the league.
People are used to cycles in sports. Good for a few years, bad for a few. For whatever reason the Red Wings defy that and have for 20+ years. Anyone predicting their demise would be following in the steps of 1000s who's said it before them.

That team is loaded with very good prospects. It must be nice if you miss out on all your first round picks (joke really) and still keep on winning. Great scouting, great management and great coaching coupled with a great owner and success will follow.

Petes2424 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 11:19 AM
  #464
BillP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Scotland
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Yup, if you're waiting for Detroit to fade...don't hold your breath. They'll find a way, they always do, why? Cause they're the wings. Their drafting is incredible. - a jealous leafs fan.

BillP is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 11:23 AM
  #465
RedWingsNow*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I'm just trying to figure out when people are going to finally give up on trying to predict Detroit's demise. It's been going on for nearly 10 years now. Everybody said it would finally happen when Lidstrom retired, and yet Detroit's currently resting on a top 10 defense in the league.
When are Wings fans going to get over this notion that divinity has ordained the Wings to be be successful every year.

The Wings have remained very good because Datsyuk and Zetterberg developed into world class players to replace Fedorov and Yzerman.

Note that Datsyuk and Zetterberg both played on teams with Fedorov and Yzerman. So if the next Datsyuk and Zetterberg are coming, they'd better make themselves known ASAP. Because time is running out.

And seriously...
Quote:
Detroit's currently resting on a top 10 defense in the league.
What does that mean?

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 11:25 AM
  #466
Number1RedWingsFan52
Registered User
 
Number1RedWingsFan52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Winter Haven Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 20,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Yup, if you're waiting for Detroit to fade...don't hold your breath. They'll find a way, they always do, why? Cause they're the wings. Their drafting is incredible. - a jealous leafs fan.
Yeah they pretty much said that Detroit would go down the tubes when Yzerman retired and they only won a cup in 2008 and almost another cup In 2009 and have made the playoffs for 21 straight years now looking to make It 22. The Wings are a long ways from being a fading team to much talent coming up the pipeline here.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 12:10 PM
  #467
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
When are Wings fans going to get over this notion that divinity has ordained the Wings to be be successful every year.
No. Red Wings fans have just heard year after year that they're going down, and when you look at the system, they obviously aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
The Wings have remained very good because Datsyuk and Zetterberg developed into world class players to replace Fedorov and Yzerman.

Note that Datsyuk and Zetterberg both played on teams with Fedorov and Yzerman. So if the next Datsyuk and Zetterberg are coming, they'd better make themselves known ASAP. Because time is running out.
Plenty of talented players in the system. Are any Datsyuk or Zetterberg caliber? Not at the moment, but if you'll remember correctly, neither Datsyuk or Zetterberg was billed as a future superstar coming into the league. Hell, in 2002 Zetterberg was ranked below Raffi Torres and 23 other prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
And seriously...

What does that mean?
It means that statistically, Detroit's defense is in the league's top ten.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 12:30 PM
  #468
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 29,584
vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post

What does that mean?
In GA/G.

I agree with RWN here, anyway.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 12:55 PM
  #469
Howard35
Registered User
 
Howard35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,569
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
"A group from the Red Wings are in Toronto today to meet with NCAA UFA Danny DeKeyser. The Western Michigan D-man is considered the top college free agent. Source tells me the Wings are front runners to land the Clay Township native. Stay tuned."

Posted on a Detroit Sports FB thread.

Also, his style of play is similar to who?

Howard35 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 01:08 PM
  #470
s7ark
Moderator
Fast and Up - JP
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,035
vCash: 500
From earlier today, didn't see it posted.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Quote:
Teams expect\hoping for Danny Dekeyzer's decision by Friday. Oilers brass (Lowe-Mactavish) meeting with him this am in Toronto.

s7ark is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
  #471
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,227
vCash: 500
heh, last night TSN radio Toronto said that Edmonton was the leader.


We have no ****ing clue. It will either be a 'oh ok, expecting that' [Detroit] 'That's unexpected' [The other 4] and 'WTF?!?!?' [The other 25 teams]


Last edited by EastonBlues22: 03-27-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: profanity bypass
BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
  #472
Dynheart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 500
The Wings maybe top 10 in defense statistically, but they don't play like it.

The reason why they are top 10 is because of goal tending. Rip on Howard all you want, but he, Zetterberg, and Dastyuk are the only reasons the Wings are in a playoff spot.

The Wings' defense is in a terrible state...it's just well coached, and backed with great goal tending. Adding DD would do worlds for them.

Dynheart is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 01:19 PM
  #473
BackhandToeyJoey
Registered User
 
BackhandToeyJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,118
vCash: 500
Would be unreal for EDM to land Danny. We really need a player like him. Though from what I can tell, DET looks the most appealing to the kid. Anyways, hope DeKeyser has a very successful career wherever he lands. :-)

BackhandToeyJoey is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
  #474
RedWingsNow*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
No. Red Wings fans have just heard year after year that they're going down, and when you look at the system, they obviously aren't.



Plenty of talented players in the system. Are any Datsyuk or Zetterberg caliber? Not at the moment, but if you'll remember correctly, neither Datsyuk or Zetterberg was billed as a future superstar coming into the league. Hell, in 2002 Zetterberg was ranked below Raffi Torres and 23 other prospects.



It means that statistically, Detroit's defense is in the league's top ten.

Before Fedorov and Yzerman were gone, Datsyuk and Zetterberg were established NHL players who'd demonstrated top flight skill.

In 2002, Datsyuk was an Olympian as a rookie. Zetterberg was an Olympian before he was even in the NHL.

I'm not talking about good players. Every team has good players.

I'm talking about ELITE, WORLD CLASS, TWO-WAY CENTERS -- the Hallmark of Red Wing hockey for the last 20 years.

We have don't have a Datsyuk or Zetterberg in our system, We just don't.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
  #475
obey86
Registered User
 
obey86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Ok, well maybe I should rephrase, Detroit is a team not known to hand out golden opportunities to just anyone. You have to earn it, but maybe that was when they had the skill\talent to do so, and now the retirement of Lidstrom, age of others, is forcing their hands?

Also I am talking as of recent, I mean a lot changes in 20 years. Konstantinov, Lidstrom, these guys are almost as old as Babcock himself. Quincey was waived, and found success almost immediately after leaving Detroit. I'd say his development speaks more in terms of how a lack of opportunity may of been holding him back.

Your right, it's probably too soon to tell in Toronto, but if you look at opportunity, Toronto over the past 4 years, has really been giving their youth an abundance of opportunities.


... As for Nashville, they aren't exactly a team on the rise, or a destination of choice for any player, which I think obviously still is somewhat of a factor.

No disrespect to Detroit, but they are a team that doesn't appear to be on the rise either. Datsyuk's future with the team is in question, or so I read it was, Lidstrom has retired, Zetterberg & Franzen are in their 30's.

If I was Dekeyser, I'd be giving a serious consideration to Ottawa, a team definitely on the rise, and a team that is developing players at a rapid pace (whether it be in the A, or in the NHL). With Phillips aging, Cowen's injury history, there appears to be opportunity there too. [Edit]Minnesota would seem to be a good destination as well, in terms of potential opportunity\team on the rise.[/Edit]

Again, If I'm in Dekeyser's shoes, Detroit obviously stands out for personal reasons, there appears to be immediate spots for him to take claim too, not to mention the opportunity to learn from elite, Stanley Cup winning players\Coach as well. As far as future goes, I'd say the teams long term future\Success is up in the air at this point.

Toronto would scare the crap out of me too, because of the obvious media circus & rollercoasting drama. This can be an attraction for some young players though. Although, you would expect their depth would quickly take them out of the running, with Franson, Reilly, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Holzer, Fraser, Liles, Blacker, possibly Ranger, newly acquired Marshall, soon to be pro prospect Percy. That's a pretty significant amount of competition.
I think that choosing a team based on how young their players are is silly. There is no guarantee that any team in the NHL is going to be good even 2,3 years down the road.

How many talented young teams in sports over the years never reached their potential or were good for a few seasons but were unable to have long term success? Too many to name.

If it were me, i'd pick an organization that has proven they know how to win long term (if winning was important to me) rather than a team that is "on the rise" or "looks to have a great future" so to speak. That's obviously just me though. If I were him i'd be looking at teams like Pittsburgh, Nashville, Detroit, NJ, Boston, Chicago, Vancouver, over a team like the Oilers who hasn't proven they know how to attain and maintain success at all.

obey86 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.