HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIV

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Foppa2118
GoDutchyGoDutchyGo

vCash: 500
I feel like Jussi Jokinen goes on waivers every year.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:11 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I feel like Jussi Jokinen goes on waivers every year.
Almost seems that way... In this case I think it is two fold. The numbers game is hurting him and he is being forced on lines that don't suit his play, and he is a very soft player.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:29 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Can't be worse than Jones, right?

Old
03-26-2013, 11:42 AM
tucker3434
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
There's no way the Hawks offer that much. If teams were offering that much for Stastny, I'm sure he would have been traded by now.
They wouldn't offer and I wouldn't take it. I want more for a number 2 center than a bunch of mid tier prospects and a 30th and 60th pick. Plus, we all know stastny will rebound after he's traded and will be fantastic against us. I don't want to face him 6 times a year.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Can't be worse than Jones, right?
Actually, yeah, worse than Jones. Except for the shootout.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I just don't see our organization being a team to absorb a cap hit. We'd rather get a weaker return and dump the full salary; just my opinion.
I concur. Especially counting in the fact that the team could be close to the cap in a few years once everyone is renewed...

...that is if the current guys want to stick around...

Old
03-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Eating salary in hopes of getting a better return for Stastny IMO would be foolish. Let's not get into the situation where we are paying a player to go play somewhere else.

I feel like fans here need to be more realistic about what kind of return they should expect in a Stastny trade. Yes, he's a legit top-line center when at the top of his game. But he hasn't played like one lately, and still has one more year left on a bloated deal he never could live up to. Not trying to diss the guy--but this is the reality of the situation. If Chicago or another team came calling offering a package that included their 1st rounder and one of their top prospects, I'd take that deal without hesitation.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Eating salary in hopes of getting a better return for Stastny IMO would be foolish. Let's not get into the situation where we are paying a player to go play somewhere else.

I feel like fans here need to be more realistic about what kind of return they should expect in a Stastny trade. Yes, he's a legit top-line center when at the top of his game. But he hasn't played like one lately, and still has one more year left on a bloated deal he never could live up to. Not trying to diss the guy--but this is the reality of the situation. If Chicago or another team came calling offering a package that included their 1st rounder and one of their top prospects, I'd take that deal without hesitation.
Well of course we would hope a 1st and top prospect would be the return. Perhaps slightly more in a bidding war.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:28 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
They wouldn't offer and I wouldn't take it. I want more for a number 2 center than a bunch of mid tier prospects and a 30th and 60th pick. Plus, we all know stastny will rebound after he's traded and will be fantastic against us. I don't want to face him 6 times a year.
It will be only 5 in next realignment. Not that it matters much. East or bust.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:48 PM
hockeyfish

I get this feeling something big is on the horizon. Just a feeling though. I'll just throw out a complete shot in the dark; Stastny, McGinn and Elliot to Anaheim for Lindholm, Holland, 2013 1st.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:51 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
I get this feeling something big is on the horizon. Just a feeling though. I'll just throw out a complete shot in the dark; Stastny, McGinn and Elliot to Anaheim for Lindholm, Holland, 2013 1st.
I could easily see a Stastny to Anaheim deal, but I don't see it in that exact manner.

The team to watch right now is Carolina IMO. The JJ waiving signals to me that they might be thinking about something bigger. If they can get healthy, they have a solid enough of a base to contend. They just need to add a couple pieces.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
I don't see Anaheim giving up on Lindholm. If those concussions won't **** up he's career, he's going to be an absolute stud.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Thinking back on the McGinn trade last year, I wonder if McCleod and Kobasew together would be able to bring back a similar type of deal?

McCleod and Winnik are fairly comparable guys with the way McCleod has played this year. Good PKers who can play the 3rd or 4th line, and both can chip in a little offensively every once and a while. McCleod also has a physical fighting aspect to his game that Winnik didn't have, and is signed for 3 years at a good small cap hit.

Kobasew and Galiardi are somewhat comparable as well. Gags likely had more value when he was traded because of age and what not, but both guys were once 40 point players(Kobasew also a 2 time 20 goal scorer).

With the way both McCleod and KObasew have played of late, I would say their stock has risen enough that they could potentially fetch a similar return to Gags and Winnik in a deal. The question is who would we be able to nag from a team like McGinn.

Jordan Caron? Faulk or Spurgeon? Frattin? Dwight King?

Just throwing out names there, not really sure if any of those guys would have more or less value them McGinn or if those teams would even want our 2 guys(I think BOS and TOR would for sure though).

Old
03-26-2013, 03:05 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Thinking back on the McGinn trade last year, I wonder if McCleod and Kobasew together would be able to bring back a similar type of deal?

McCleod and Winnik are fairly comparable guys with the way McCleod has played this year. Good PKers who can play the 3rd or 4th line, and both can chip in a little offensively every once and a while. McCleod also has a physical fighting aspect to his game that Winnik didn't have, and is signed for 3 years at a good small cap hit.

Kobasew and Galiardi are somewhat comparable as well. Gags likely had more value when he was traded because of age and what not, but both guys were once 40 point players(Kobasew also a 2 time 20 goal scorer).

With the way both McCleod and KObasew have played of late, I would say their stock has risen enough that they could potentially fetch a similar return to Gags and Winnik in a deal. The question is who would we be able to nag from a team like McGinn.

Jordan Caron? Faulk or Spurgeon? Frattin? Dwight King?

Just throwing out names there, not really sure if any of those guys would have more or less value them McGinn or if those teams would even want our 2 guys(I think BOS and TOR would for sure though).
I don't know. It's hard to imagine a team making a move like SJ did. It was a true steal for an average 3rd liner with crazy contract demands and a player who has only played well in one playoff series, but had otherwise been more or less invisible (It helps that series was against SJ).

Old
03-26-2013, 03:14 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
I don't know. It's hard to imagine a team making a move like SJ did. It was a true steal for an average 3rd liner with crazy contract demands and a player who has only played well in one playoff series, but had otherwise been more or less invisible (It helps that series was against SJ).
I think there were a few reasons why that San Jose deal happened.

-San Jose needed to make a playoff run. Their window was/is closing and they had a crappy PK. Thus the need for Winnik and to some extent Gali
-San Jose had given up on McGinn. They kept waiting for him to turn the corner and become the player he has potential to be.
-The Avs had given up on Gali. Sacco had run him into the ground, and seemingly had a personal grudge against him. He was useless on this team and the Avs were willing to give him up. He still has/had top 6 upside

So you basically have a hockey trade on the McGinn - Gali swap hoping that they both start living up to their potential. Then a prospect for a rental trade with Winnik-Sgarbossa. Then the Avs needed a warm body so they threw in a 7th.

The only reasons that it looks like a steal is that Gali hasn't played up to potential, and Winnik left to free agency.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:34 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 50
1% likely, 99% wishful thinking

Would be a nice steal to manage to get DeKeyser with a max ELC using the "promised" opportunity to slot next to EJ immediately on the top pair. May not be a permanent solution, but would be nice to get some good news for once. Would not even mind it burning a year off the ELC.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post

Would be a nice steal to manage to get DeKeyser with a max ELC using the "promised" opportunity to slot next to EJ immediately on the top pair. May not be a permanent solution, but would be nice to get some good news for once. Would not even mind it burning a year off the ELC.
Just wont happen. If he was Canadian or we already had a top 9 forward unit of nothing but first rounders that included a top line of first overall players...then we might have a chance.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:59 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post

I'm in the minority but I think Schmidt will be a more effective NHL player than DeKeyser. DeKeyser should be a solid shut down guy on the middle or bottom pairing, but that is all I really see out of him. His bottom is probably a #5 shutdown D, high of a #3 shutdown guy. Schmidt combines good offensive skills, crazy good hands, high motor, a mean streak (not all the time, but when he is pissed... much like EJ), and probably most useful for the Avs a left handed canon shot that almost always gets through on the PP. He is probably the best PP QB in all the NCAA. If Schmidt was 6'3" instead of 5'11" he would have every team after him instead of DeKeyser. Schmidt's low end potential is a lot lower than DeKeyser, but his high end is a lot higher.

Last edited by henchman24: 03-26-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Drury_Sakic

What do people think about the idea of trading for Vanek? Some thought that if they do implode that team, he will be shopped.

Avs Get:
Vanek
Sabres 2nd

Sabres Get:
Avs 1st
Stastny
One of the 4 goalie prospects

Now, this would be an off-season trade and comes with the assumption that the Avs do not get the first overall pick, which they would use to draft Jones, but do poorly enough to earn a top 5 pick.

Vanek-Duchene-PA
Lando-O'Reilly-Downie/McGinn
Mitchell-X-Downie/McGinn
McLeod-X-Bordeleau

Presumption would be the Avs tack hard to try and trade off Jones as well over the summer or even buy him out with the buyout to save cap space moving forward. Up front you would be left to sign/trade for a 3rd line center, a 4th line center, and a few depth forwards to round out the roster. Malone or Olver could lock down the 4th line center spot off with a good finish to the season or a good camp as well, but I would be looking to add more fresh blood to the forward core via UFA signings.

Matt Cullen or Derek Roy might be worth a look depending on how long term of deals they want. Same goes for Michal Handzus or David Steckel depending on the price. You try to look for one gamble and one safer bet guy. Worst case you have Malone or Olver to fall back on.

That lineup should leave enough money to take a shot at an upgrade or two on D via UFA...and I would assume the Avs try to trade at least one of O'Brien, Hejda, Zanon, or O'Byrne at the deadline. Personally I would try to trade 2 of them.

Last edited by Drury_Sakic: 03-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'm in the minority but I think Schmidt will be a more effective NHL player than DeKeyser. DeKeyser should be a solid shut down guy on the middle or bottom pairing, but that is all I really see out of him. His bottom is probably a #5 shutdown D, high of a #3 shutdown guy. Schmidt combines good offensive skills, crazy good hands, high motor, a mean streak (not all the time, but when he is pissed... much like EJ), and probably most useful for the Avs a left handed canon shot that almost always gets through on the PP. He is probably the best PP QB in all the NCAA. If Schmidt was 6'3" instead of 5'11" he would have every team after him instead of DeKeyser. Schmidt's low end potential is a lot lower than DeKeyser, but his high end is a lot higher.
Nate is great! Don't see him as the answer for EJs left side but would help a ton on the PP and possible partner for a D like ROB on the third pairing.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
What do people think about the idea of trading for Vanek? Some thought that if they do implode that team, he will be shopped.

Avs Get:
Vanek
Sabres 2nd

Sabres Get:
Avs 1st
Stastny
One of the 4 goalie prospects

Now, this would be an off-season trade and comes with the assumption that the Avs do not get the first overall pick, which they would use to draft Jones, but do poorly enough to earn a top 5 pick.

Vanek-Duchene-PA
Lando-O'Reilly-Downie/McGinn
Mitchell-X-Downie/McGinn
McLeod-X-Bordeleau

Presumption would be the Avs tack hard to try and trade off Jones as well over the summer or even buy him out with the buyout to save cap space moving forward. Up front you would be left to sign/trade for a 3rd line center, a 4th line center, and a few depth forwards to round out the roster. Malone or Olver could lock down the 4th line center spot off a good finish to the season or a good camp as well, but I would be looking to add more fresh blood to the forward core via UFA signings.

Matt Cullen or Derek Roy might be worth a look depending on how long term of deals they. Same goes for Michal Handzus or David Steckel depending on the price. You try to look for one gamble and one safer bet guy. Worst case you have Malone or Olver to fall back on.

That lineup should leave enough money to take a shot at an upgrade or two on D via UFA...and I would assume the Avs try to trade at least one of O'Brien, Hejda, or O'Byrne at the deadline.
You are crazy. Avs first rounder who should be better than Vanek not to mention younger and cheaper? AND one of the goalies and Stastny?

The Avs would need to fall out of the top 30 for that not to blow up in their faces...

Old
03-26-2013, 04:40 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Nate is great! Don't see him as the answer for EJs left side but would help a ton on the PP and possible partner for a D like ROB on the third pairing.
I agree, he should never be looked at for the top pairing role with EJ. IMO he could step into a 3rd pairing role right now and provide some spark to the PP (or when Minnesota is eliminated). In the future I'd look for him to be a middle pairing, PP QB sort of player that can put up 30 PP points a season. He is the one player that I really, really hope the Avs can sign as a free agent from college.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 1175
Danny DeKeyser

Wouldn't it be awesome if he signs with Colorado

Old
03-26-2013, 04:54 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuras View Post
Danny DeKeyser

Wouldn't it be awesome if he signs with Colorado
Yep, we could guarantee him 20 minutes a night right off the hop on our left side with EJ if our GM was fully committed to being proactive.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:58 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Yep, we could guarantee him 20 minutes a night right off the hop on our left side with EJ if our GM was fully committed to being proactive.
Is there any info suggesting that we haven't offered him that?

Closed Thread