HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Round 2 - Hitmen vs Wheat Kings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2005, 12:36 AM
  #26
Big Deaner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Gezlaf wins the battle tonite. Great game, ended up 3-1 Hitmen.

Getzlaf was scary every time he was on the ice tonite and scored for the insurance. Getzlaf showed off his talent as well as his physical presence and really led his team to victory.

Same can't be said about the Wheaties. There were only three guys on that team who showed up tonight: Stone, Later and the goaltender Plante. Fehr was invisible the entire night, he might have had two shots on goal all night. Konsorada, Monych and Sindel (who scored, weeeeeaaaaak by Pogge) all pulled the disappearing act as well.

Stone played well, was Brandon's best player and seemed like one of the only Wheaties who was playing with some passion and desperation. Stone had some monster hits including one on Carson in the third. Carson was knocked out and was sprawled on the ice for a minute or so. Clean shoulder check, although the Hitmen fans didn't agree, and booed Stone every time he touched the puck afterwards.

Ladd was pretty much a non-factor as well. Didn't notice him much, I guess he didn't make any mistakes.

Going to the game tomorrow, hopin for another ring-a-ding-dong-dandy.

Big Deaner is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 01:28 AM
  #27
Jessie Lumsden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
I went to the game tonight too, Stones hit on Carson looked SO dirty, everyone was convinced it was an elbow from behind. I heard that moron Rob Kerr on the radio say that he thought it was a dirty play on the drive home. I had taped the game, and when I rewound and replayed the hit, it was a perfect clean hit, one Phanuef would be proud of. Shoulder to shoulder, just the way you're taught.

Jessie Lumsden is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 08:53 AM
  #28
ryz
Registered User
 
ryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
The end of the game was great. After Getzlaf ripped a shot home for Calgarys 3rd goal and they were all celebrating and patting each other on the head Ryan Stone seemed to want to join the party and pretty much sketed right into the Hitmen celebration. He was thrown to the ice by Schultz and the dome went wild (fans wanted retribution for the hit, dirty or not). This sparked a bit of a line brawl with Getzlaf/Ladd squaring off against Stone/Fehr. It was great to see the marquee offensive players play with some heart and passion and get into the rough stuff.

Other than the scrum I didn't even know Fehr was playing last night. He has to put this team on his back and carry them tonight because the Hitmen have been the better team in the series so far. If the Hitmen win game 4 it might be over pretty quickly.

ryz is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 11:19 AM
  #29
Big Deaner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
I went to the game tonight too, Stones hit on Carson looked SO dirty, everyone was convinced it was an elbow from behind. I heard that moron Rob Kerr on the radio say that he thought it was a dirty play on the drive home. I had taped the game, and when I rewound and replayed the hit, it was a perfect clean hit, one Phanuef would be proud of. Shoulder to shoulder, just the way you're taught.
Yes, finally someone else who thinks Rob Kerr is a moron. Kerr is an arrogant, slimy, unknowledgeable homer who I think is an embarrasment to the Flames broadcast team, especially when you compare him with Peter Maher who is the classiest man in professional broadcasting.

Big Deaner is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 11:35 AM
  #30
allin4466
Registered User
 
allin4466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz
The end of the game was great. After Getzlaf ripped a shot home for Calgarys 3rd goal and they were all celebrating and patting each other on the head Ryan Stone seemed to want to join the party and pretty much sketed right into the Hitmen celebration. He was thrown to the ice by Schultz and the dome went wild (fans wanted retribution for the hit, dirty or not). This sparked a bit of a line brawl with Getzlaf/Ladd squaring off against Stone/Fehr. It was great to see the marquee offensive players play with some heart and passion and get into the rough stuff.

Other than the scrum I didn't even know Fehr was playing last night. He has to put this team on his back and carry them tonight because the Hitmen have been the better team in the series so far. If the Hitmen win game 4 it might be over pretty quickly.
Brandon rarely ever loses twice in a row, they are solid on home ice, i'm still going to call brandon in 7

allin4466 is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 04:08 PM
  #31
ryz
Registered User
 
ryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
Brandon rarely ever loses twice in a row, they are solid on home ice, i'm still going to call brandon in 7
If the Hitmen win game 4 and go up 3-1 you still call brandon in 7?? Go ahead, but I bet you'd be alone in that one. I dunno if I'd have that much faith in a team that lost 10-1 at home a few days ago. The Hitmen aren't exactly Moose Jaw here.


Last edited by ryz: 04-13-2005 at 11:27 PM.
ryz is offline  
Old
04-14-2005, 12:03 AM
  #32
Jessie Lumsden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Yeah, I hate Rob Kerr. The guy is a total robot, no opinions of his own. I love his quote, whenever anyone brings up rule changes, he says, "you know what i want, i want the battle of alberta again, that's what i want"


grow up buddy, how this guy has a job is beyond me. i guess if you're willing to go on the air 20 hours a day for peanuts pay you'll do fine in sports radio

whenever peter maher is on the radio with him, you can tell kerr gets on his nerves. maher is a legend, maybe the greatest radio commentator of all time, and he has to put up with this twit.

tonights game was a walk over, the series is over. the hitmen are just too big for the wheaties. i can't wait for the next round.

Jessie Lumsden is offline  
Old
04-14-2005, 08:41 AM
  #33
ryz
Registered User
 
ryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
Yeah, I hate Rob Kerr. The guy is a total robot, no opinions of his own. I love his quote, whenever anyone brings up rule changes, he says, "you know what i want, i want the battle of alberta again, that's what i want"


grow up buddy, how this guy has a job is beyond me. i guess if you're willing to go on the air 20 hours a day for peanuts pay you'll do fine in sports radio

whenever peter maher is on the radio with him, you can tell kerr gets on his nerves. maher is a legend, maybe the greatest radio commentator of all time, and he has to put up with this twit.

tonights game was a walk over, the series is over. the hitmen are just too big for the wheaties. i can't wait for the next round.
WOW. Pretty harsh words for Kerr. I can't say I agree with you. I think he is a pretty good hockey host, as I think most people that listen to him do. Go ahead and have your opinion but I don't think you are in the majority with this one. I don't know what you are talking about when you say he gets on Maher's nerves. I don't get any sense of that what so ever.

As for the series being over, I'm pretty confident it is too. Maybe Brandon takes game 5 at home but this doesn't go any farther than game 6 back at the dome.

ryz is offline  
Old
04-14-2005, 09:43 AM
  #34
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz
As for the series being over, I'm pretty confident it is too. Maybe Brandon takes game 5 at home but this doesn't go any farther than game 6 back at the dome.
Brandon is mentally done.....you can visibly see it in most of the players......Calgary is just frustrating the hell out of them......

__________________
"I couldn't care less about the team struggling"....A very drunk Joe Namath

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-14-2005, 05:29 PM
  #35
Jessie Lumsden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
The one thing I will give Kerr is that he's certainly not lazy. But he's only good in small doses, everytime I turn on the radio he's on.

Jessie Lumsden is offline  
Old
04-14-2005, 07:53 PM
  #36
ryz
Registered User
 
ryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Looks like all the Brandon fans took off. I was expecting some excuses this morning, but nothing. I think they even know it's done.

So what is it now guys? Hitmen in 5, 6, or 7? I'm saying 6, back in the 'dome.

ryz is offline  
Old
04-14-2005, 08:42 PM
  #37
deano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
I think the Hitmen will finish it off on Friday night. My only hope is that either Prince Albert or Medicine Hat will thoroughly exhaust each other before the next round

deano is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 02:19 PM
  #38
allin4466
Registered User
 
allin4466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Ahem

Ack, as good as I think the wheaties are, i cant see this one going any further than game 6.. Calgary has just been too good in this series, and brandon hasnt shown up to play.

allin4466 is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
  #39
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Brandon will win Tonight and then take game 6 in Calgary and then look to wrap up the series in Brandon.

Joe Hallenback is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 03:56 PM
  #40
ryz
Registered User
 
ryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback
Brandon will win Tonight and then take game 6 in Calgary and then look to wrap up the series in Brandon.
What are you talking about? Brandon is unstopable. They are actually up 3-1 and looking to close out the series tonite in Brandon!!!! Wheaties in 5!!!! Can I join the club now?

ryz is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 04:21 PM
  #41
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
I used to cheer for the Winnipeg Jets for years. They would be up 3-1 in a lot of playoff series only to lose it. The moral of the story is the series isnt over until you win 4 games.

Joe Hallenback is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 10:09 PM
  #42
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback
Brandon will win Tonight and then take game 6 in Calgary and then look to wrap up the series in Brandon.
You may have been right tonight, but the Hitmen haven't lost at home yet in the playoffs.....I didn't really think Brandon dominated the game tonight.....could have gone either way......The Hitmen didn't play a great game, but considering they lost, they put up a pretty good fight.....Brandon will be in tough to take Game 6 in Calgary.......Fehr did score tonight, but he and Stone haven't done much of anything offensively this series.....they need to get it going if they want to help their team complete the series comeback......

Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 10:42 PM
  #43
Hockeycanada*
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
I thought Ryan Reaves had a great game tonight. Will he be drafted this year?

Hockeycanada* is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 03:03 PM
  #44
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden
You may have been right tonight, but the Hitmen haven't lost at home yet in the playoffs.....I didn't really think Brandon dominated the game tonight.....could have gone either way......The Hitmen didn't play a great game, but considering they lost, they put up a pretty good fight.....Brandon will be in tough to take Game 6 in Calgary.......Fehr did score tonight, but he and Stone haven't done much of anything offensively this series.....they need to get it going if they want to help their team complete the series comeback......
Stone Fehr Sindell and Konsorada havent done a thing yet in this series for Brandon...they havent looked dominant like they did all year long and Brandon is still in the series, what does that tell you?

If those guys can get back on track the WK's still have a very good shot at this series.

On a side note....never noticed before how dirty Andrew Ladd is...guy is CHEAP.

been super impressed with Getzlaf so far guy has some big league skill.

Letang fan 58 is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 09:40 PM
  #45
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3
Stone Fehr Sindell and Konsorada havent done a thing yet in this series for Brandon...they havent looked dominant like they did all year long and Brandon is still in the series, what does that tell you?

If those guys can get back on track the WK's still have a very good shot at this series.

On a side note....never noticed before how dirty Andrew Ladd is...guy is CHEAP.

been super impressed with Getzlaf so far guy has some big league skill.
Ladd cheap and dirty? Sorry, but I've seen him play all year, and cheap is far from the word you'd use to describe Ladd.....Gritty and Intense are better descriptiontal words of his play.........

Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 10:39 PM
  #46
Jessie Lumsden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Jared - I would call him lazy and lucky to be playing with Getzlaf

He has really stepped it up in the playoffs though

Jessie Lumsden is offline  
Old
04-17-2005, 01:05 PM
  #47
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
Jared - I would call him lazy and lucky to be playing with Getzlaf

He has really stepped it up in the playoffs though
The cheap shots that Ladd takes after the whistle on the way back to the players box....when the ref's arent watching....when someone is on the ice near the net....imply that he is a cheap shot artist....he may be gritty...also very CHEAP

Letang fan 58 is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 11:47 AM
  #48
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 500
Random thoughts on the series...

I've been really disappointed with the Wheaties big guns such as Fehr, Sindell and Monych, they need to step it up. Stone's been trying, Konsorada still looks uncomfortable after the shoulder seperation. Later is obviously a target, Landolt, Getzlaff and Ladd all run him into the boards (finishing their check) after he passes the puck. Good tactics on the Hitmen part, just wondering how many seconds after Later has passed should these hits be called interference?
Reaves was awesome in game 5, wish the rest of the Wheaties had that intensity going.
Getzlaff has looked like a man against boys (high praise from me b/c I dislike his attitude!), Pogge looks huge in net, White had a breakout game in game 5 with a great grinding game combined with 2 goals and a fight, can't understand why the Wheaties didn't draft him, Dupont looks very impressive. Game 5 finally saw the younger Hitmen defenceman waver, (kind of like when Plante stupidly tried to trade punches with Reaves earlier in the series, by the way, why didn't the linesmen jump in on that fight, Reaves kept stopping to let them in but they just watched??)

I think the Wheaties need to finish their checks on Getzlaff and Ladd (as those 2 do to Later), those 2 started to lose their composure in game 5 when the Wheaties did this, I'd also like to see the Wheaties hit Puschkarov a little harder.
Keys for Brandon are for Fehr and Sindell to want it more and create some offence. Hard to believe this series has made it to game 6 with Fehr, Sindell and Konsorada not scoring like they normally do. Brandon also have to stop taking stupid penalties, they can't stop the Hitmen's powerplay.
Pressure on the Hitmen tonight to finish it off, hoping for a great game with the Wheaties surviving for a game 7 bacl in the "old, quaint keystone center" as the Calgary Herald put it!!

sbtatter is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 12:28 PM
  #49
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3
The cheap shots that Ladd takes after the whistle on the way back to the players box....when the ref's arent watching....when someone is on the ice near the net....imply that he is a cheap shot artist....he may be gritty...also very CHEAP
That's just after the whistle stuff.....I'm quite sure Ladd isin't the only one who gets away with that kind of stuff.....

Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-18-2005, 12:30 PM
  #50
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter
I've been really disappointed with the Wheaties big guns such as Fehr, Sindell and Monych, they need to step it up. Stone's been trying, Konsorada still looks uncomfortable after the shoulder seperation. Later is obviously a target, Landolt, Getzlaff and Ladd all run him into the boards (finishing their check) after he passes the puck. Good tactics on the Hitmen part, just wondering how many seconds after Later has passed should these hits be called interference?
Reaves was awesome in game 5, wish the rest of the Wheaties had that intensity going.
Getzlaff has looked like a man against boys (high praise from me b/c I dislike his attitude!), Pogge looks huge in net, White had a breakout game in game 5 with a great grinding game combined with 2 goals and a fight, can't understand why the Wheaties didn't draft him, Dupont looks very impressive. Game 5 finally saw the younger Hitmen defenceman waver, (kind of like when Plante stupidly tried to trade punches with Reaves earlier in the series, by the way, why didn't the linesmen jump in on that fight, Reaves kept stopping to let them in but they just watched??)

I think the Wheaties need to finish their checks on Getzlaff and Ladd (as those 2 do to Later), those 2 started to lose their composure in game 5 when the Wheaties did this, I'd also like to see the Wheaties hit Puschkarov a little harder.
Keys for Brandon are for Fehr and Sindell to want it more and create some offence. Hard to believe this series has made it to game 6 with Fehr, Sindell and Konsorada not scoring like they normally do. Brandon also have to stop taking stupid penalties, they can't stop the Hitmen's powerplay.
Pressure on the Hitmen tonight to finish it off, hoping for a great game with the Wheaties surviving for a game 7 bacl in the "old, quaint keystone center" as the Calgary Herald put it!!
Your totally right......the fact the Wheat Kings have gotten this far in the series with their top players playing sub par is mighty surprising......how much longer can the go with them playing like they are though????

Jared Ramsden is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.