HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Round 2 - Hitmen vs Wheat Kings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2005, 09:35 AM
  #76
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
Back to the game, Brandon actually played a semi decent defensive game, cut out the stupid give aways that have plagued them this series. Also were able to break out of their zone with speed a few times, what a difference that made. Brandon stayed away from stupid penalties (the ref gifted Calgary a PP when he called Stone on the one penalty). I thought Teegan Moore added some jump (looks like he reinjured his ankle though). Fehr played better but still needs to contribute more, Sindell scored and threw a hip check but is capable of more. Plante was great, as he will need to be tomorrow. Looked like Calgary didn't pound Later quite as much, they tried but looked a step slower last night. After the game Brandon said they tried to get Day and Lenowski on the ice as D instead of later against Getzlaff and Ladd, appeared to work in Brandon's favour.
Pogge played great, no chance on those 2 goals. Yeo's pass up the middle that was intercepted and led to the 1st goal was his 1st mistake all series wasn't it?
So, momentum shifts to Brandon but it's a big ask for them to win 3 in a row....the coaches are going to have to work really hard to make sure the Wheaties come out intense in the 1st 5 minutes, otherwise Calgary are going to score early and steal the momentum back.....
I'm going to enjoy watching this game in person from section 11, should be good!!

sbtatter is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 09:42 AM
  #77
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
But Ladd hasn't shown anything to anyone that he's worthy of a top 5 pick. If you want to dis-regard his poor numbers, fine - but you cant disregard the fact that he isn't even visible on the ice.
Ladd had a quiter game last night from watching on TV, but the 3 games in the series I've seen live he's been doing a lot physically off the puck to worry Brandon. He and Stone have been having a big personal battle. Ladd seems to have an intensity that I think will translate well to the pros. Even though his numbers are low I think he's helping the team in other ways this series. I know I'd take him on the Wheaties in a heartbeat.
Getzlaff is making a lot of Hitmen look bad, just from the fact that he's really, really stepped up his whole game....and they haven't been able to move up with him.
Has Getzlaff played any games with Anaheim or their minor league affiliate??

sbtatter is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 10:27 AM
  #78
Jessie Lumsden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
No, he hasn't.

Getzlaf is the one Hitmen player that WILL make it in the pros. He is the total package - he just has to learn how to be motivated for meaningless games in the first half of the season, which shouldn't be a problem in the NHL.

Jessie Lumsden is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:43 PM
  #79
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
Getzlaf is the one Hitmen player that WILL make it in the pros. He is the total package - he just has to learn how to be motivated for meaningless games in the first half of the season, which shouldn't be a problem in the NHL.
Getzlaf has been a dominant player in the playoffs....he's been consistent, motivated, gritty, intense and most important, has shown some good leadership qualities......

Ladd isin't overated.....I just think because he scored so many goals last season, and then being the 4th overall pick everyone expected the world of him this year.....Saying he's terrible and all this other crap is BS.....Guys just don't have to score to make an impact at the next level....Did you see him against Lethbridge in the first round? Get off his back......He hasn't had the best series against Brandon, but that doesn't mean he sucks. Give me a break.....Ladd still is not totally consistent from night to night, but give him a break.......

I love these one game player judgements. So Pushkarev has one bad game. Let's write him off. He's finished. No chance at an NHL career. Geez. These guys are playing JUNIOR HOCKEY.....they are still developing.....Guys are going to have bad games every so often.....Pushkarev has an incredible skill level and does things with the puck that some NHL'ers would have trouble duplicating......

Since this has turned into a player bashing thread, I'm surprised nobody is on Jeff "I'm a 6'6 Pansy" Schultz.....This guy should never have been a 1st rounder.....Just because he's big doesn't mean he's going to be a good player.....His mobility is absolutely terrible, and he doesn't hit at all.....He's 6'6 for god sakes and he plays like he's 5'8 150 pounds.....Does he watch Steve Covington??? or Brett O'Malley??? It's painful to watch him out there some games.....Last night for example......

__________________
"I couldn't care less about the team struggling"....A very drunk Joe Namath

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:49 PM
  #80
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter
Back to the game, Brandon actually played a semi decent defensive game, cut out the stupid give aways that have plagued them this series. Also were able to break out of their zone with speed a few times, what a difference that made. Brandon stayed away from stupid penalties (the ref gifted Calgary a PP when he called Stone on the one penalty). I thought Teegan Moore added some jump (looks like he reinjured his ankle though). Fehr played better but still needs to contribute more, Sindell scored and threw a hip check but is capable of more. Plante was great, as he will need to be tomorrow. Looked like Calgary didn't pound Later quite as much, they tried but looked a step slower last night. After the game Brandon said they tried to get Day and Lenowski on the ice as D instead of later against Getzlaff and Ladd, appeared to work in Brandon's favour.
Pogge played great, no chance on those 2 goals. Yeo's pass up the middle that was intercepted and led to the 1st goal was his 1st mistake all series wasn't it?
So, momentum shifts to Brandon but it's a big ask for them to win 3 in a row....the coaches are going to have to work really hard to make sure the Wheaties come out intense in the 1st 5 minutes, otherwise Calgary are going to score early and steal the momentum back.....
I'm going to enjoy watching this game in person from section 11, should be good!!
I'll give Brandon credit....They played an excellent road playoff game.....Calgary you could tell was getting more frustrated as the night wore on.....That second period was unbelivebaly fast and scrambly, playing right into the Wheat Kings favor......

Another thing that is becoming quite evident is that the Calgary defence core is really, really tired.....Ever since Carson was knocked out of the series by Stone, it's become very evident.....Dylan Yeo is playing well, but man, he looks exhausted......Kohn and Alzner have been solid.....Schultz is inconsistent as hell......and Plante and Falk are doing well considering they are only 15 and 16 respectively........Honestly, the turning point in this series may have been Stone knocking out Carson.....With Yackboski already out, the Hitmen couldn't afford any more defensive injuries......Pogge kept the Hitmen in the game and Plante made a few big saves......The Hitmen seemed to pick it up in third, until Brandon got that PP goal(I don't think Brandon had a shot until they got on the PP with like 7 minutes left in the third).......I don't know what to expect in the 3rd game.....The Hitmen look really fatigued and it is imperative that they get the first goal next game.....They are way too tired to be playing from behind.......

Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 12:52 PM
  #81
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
Pushkarev will NEVER play pro hockey.
Last time I ever bother to read one of your posts.

Pushkarev will DEFINITELY be playing pro hockey next year. Do you want to bet on it?

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 12:53 PM
  #82
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
But Ladd hasn't shown anything to anyone that he's worthy of a top 5 pick. If you want to dis-regard his poor numbers, fine - but you cant disregard the fact that he isn't even visible on the ice.
For someone who has whined about me judging Brule on a few games you sure are doing a good job of ignoring his great performance in the 1st round including a couple of OT winners.

He certainly has shown a lot, perhaps you just don't want to see it or like to conveniently ignore the times he's looked the best.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 01:14 PM
  #83
10 ft. pole
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
I imagine that Pushkarev will go back to the Hitmen if the lockout continues. If not he will be in Manchester I can gurantee you that!

10 ft. pole is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
  #84
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole
I imagine that Pushkarev will go back to the Hitmen if the lockout continues. If not he will be in Manchester I can gurantee you that!
Even if the lockout does continue I'd say he's more likely to sign with Manchester or head back to Europe than he is to play as a European overager in the WHL.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 01:25 PM
  #85
10 ft. pole
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Even if the lockout does continue I'd say he's more likely to sign with Manchester or head back to Europe than he is to play as a European overager in the WHL.
If the lockout continues I think there is too much competion in Europe and possibly on Manchester providing things go the way they did this year. Calgary is a good place for him. I would not mind him going to Bakersfield and playing closer to LA though!

10 ft. pole is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:13 PM
  #86
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Well, the Hitmen have pretty much officially choked.....scored first, but now it's
3-1 Brandon.....the last two goals, the vets have not done their jobs.....Landolt and Ladd both missed their assignments on the 2nd goal and Kohn and Schultz just got schooled by Eric Fehr and Sindel on the 3rd one.......

Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:15 PM
  #87
allin4466
Registered User
 
allin4466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Wooooooo

Wasnt looking good for awhile.. but brandon just stepped'er up. Now lets see if we cant hold on for 6 minutes

allin4466 is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:17 PM
  #88
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
Wasnt looking good for awhile.. but brandon just stepped'er up. Now lets see if we cant hold on for 6 minutes
Brandon's Top Guns stepped up big time tonight......

Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:22 PM
  #89
Gardebut30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 50
How did Fehr school those guys? Did he dish Sindel an easy one? thanks

Gardebut30 is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:23 PM
  #90
Phaneuf*
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Ryan Stone needs to be punched in the face. YES I'm a poor sport.

Phaneuf* is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:30 PM
  #91
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,535
vCash: 500
Congratulations to the Wheat Kings on a great series comeback.


On the other hand, that cheapshot by Fehr at the end of the game was totally out of line. I really wish they would have been able to make him pay for that.

__________________
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain
Legionnaire is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:40 PM
  #92
allin4466
Registered User
 
allin4466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Jared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden
Brandon's Top Guns stepped up big time tonight......
I'll send you a column that the Brandon Sun sports editor put in the paper today about konsorada. Gonna be eating his words.

And about that cheapshot fehr gave out at the end.. getzlaf and ladd dont EVER do that do they.. little cheapshots when somebodies back in turned. If calgary wanted to make him pay for it, they should have scored.

allin4466 is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:49 PM
  #93
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf
Ryan Stone needs to be punched in the face. YES I'm a poor sport.
Stone was a MONSTER tonight.....wk's played a great game very good game again from Tyler Plante...kid is going to be a big time goalie, sure shows up in the big games.

Calgary had a chance to win tonight.................If only Getzlaf could have played 60 minutes....he nearly played the entire third period and half the 2nd for sure....he was a monster all series long, ive now been convinced how good he was....however one man cant carry a team as was proven tonight.

Letang fan 58 is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:54 PM
  #94
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
I'll send you a column that the Brandon Sun sports editor put in the paper today about konsorada. Gonna be eating his words.

And about that cheapshot fehr gave out at the end.. getzlaf and ladd dont EVER do that do they.. little cheapshots when somebodies back in turned. If calgary wanted to make him pay for it, they should have scored.
I didn't watch the last minute and a half......What happened? These teams really started to hate each other as the series wore on so it's not too surprising.....And thank god this game wasn't in calgary....I would have had my hands full down by the Brandon bench....That one Brandon fan that came down to the Brandon bench after every Hitmen game in Calgary probably would have gotten beaten down tonight......

Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:57 PM
  #95
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3
Stone was a MONSTER tonight.....wk's played a great game very good game again from Tyler Plante...kid is going to be a big time goalie, sure shows up in the big games.

Calgary had a chance to win tonight.................If only Getzlaf could have played 60 minutes....he nearly played the entire third period and half the 2nd for sure....he was a monster all series long, ive now been convinced how good he was....however one man cant carry a team as was proven tonight.
Getzlaf really had a strong playoff, in all facets of the game.....and yeah, he can't carry the team as good as he is.....Ladd was def. not as good this round as last round that's for sure........

Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 10:59 PM
  #96
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher

He certainly has shown a lot, perhaps you just don't want to see it or like to conveniently ignore the times he's looked the best.


i see that you have become a hopeless Hitman homer while the Flames are on extended vacation

Flames 1st pick is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 11:06 PM
  #97
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
Stone played a great game tonight, so did Getzlaff. Ladd was doing his checking job out there, cranking people etc. Day had his best game, as did Sindell, Konsorada finally played well.
Brandon did everything but score in the 1st, calgary won the 2nd and when Calgary scored early in the 3rd it didn't look good, but then Brandon started skating and their speed started killing Calgary...Great game, record crowd (5957) they were standing 3 deep on the concourse watching....
Brandon won't have much in the tank for Friday nights game.
Calgary has some great young players, they'll be alright next year.

sbtatter is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 11:22 PM
  #98
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,633
vCash: 500
Some priceless quotes from my favorite Calgary Homer Fan RYZ

Originally Posted by allin4466
Brandon rarely ever loses twice in a row, they are solid on home ice, i'm still going to call brandon in 7


If the Hitmen win game 4 and go up 3-1 you still call brandon in 7?? Go ahead, but I bet you'd be alone in that one. I dunno if I'd have that much faith in a team that lost 10-1 at home a few days ago. The Hitmen aren't exactly Moose Jaw here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
Yeah, I hate Rob Kerr. The guy is a total robot, no opinions of his own. I love his quote, whenever anyone brings up rule changes, he says, "you know what i want, i want the battle of alberta again, that's what i want"


grow up buddy, how this guy has a job is beyond me. i guess if you're willing to go on the air 20 hours a day for peanuts pay you'll do fine in sports radio

whenever peter maher is on the radio with him, you can tell kerr gets on his nerves. maher is a legend, maybe the greatest radio commentator of all time, and he has to put up with this twit.

tonights game was a walk over, the series is over. the hitmen are just too big for the wheaties. i can't wait for the next round.



WOW. Pretty harsh words for Kerr. I can't say I agree with you. I think he is a pretty good hockey host, as I think most people that listen to him do. Go ahead and have your opinion but I don't think you are in the majority with this one. I don't know what you are talking about when you say he gets on Maher's nerves. I don't get any sense of that what so ever.

As for the series being over, I'm pretty confident it is too. Maybe Brandon takes game 5 at home but this doesn't go any farther than game 6 back at the dome.


Looks like all the Brandon fans took off. I was expecting some excuses this morning, but nothing. I think they even know it's done.

So what is it now guys? Hitmen in 5, 6, or 7? I'm saying 6, back in the 'dome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback
Brandon will win Tonight and then take game 6 in Calgary and then look to wrap up the series in Brandon.


What are you talking about? Brandon is unstopable. They are actually up 3-1 and looking to close out the series tonite in Brandon!!!! Wheaties in 5!!!! Can I join the club now?




HATE TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO BUT

I TOLD YOU SO

Joe Hallenback is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 11:30 PM
  #99
Phaneuf*
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 259
vCash: 500

Phaneuf* is offline  
Old
04-20-2005, 11:54 PM
  #100
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
I'll send you a column that the Brandon Sun sports editor put in the paper today about konsorada. Gonna be eating his words.

And about that cheapshot fehr gave out at the end.. getzlaf and ladd dont EVER do that do they.. little cheapshots when somebodies back in turned. If calgary wanted to make him pay for it, they should have scored.
Regardless of what Ladd and Getzlaf may have done, it was still out of line; the same way it is when they do it. Though I've never seen them do anything like that with anyone's back turned.

Umm yeah, that's exactly what I was alluding to.

To Jared. Ladd was facing the boards digging the puck out. Fehr came from about the mid-way on the ice, full force with his elbow flying into the back of Ladd's back turned head, knocking his helmet off.

Legionnaire is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.