HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Stars/Core players with injuries - Theory

Old
04-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Jacko95

vCash: 500
Stars/Core players with injuries - Theory

The last few days I thought a little about core players and their injury history.
It seems as there are some teams that have injury problems with a lot of their core players all the time, while other teams have not often problems with their stars. I leave bottom line/pairing players out of this, because they change their teams to much and usually play a more physical game which affects their bodys in the long run.

Injury problem teams:
Pittsburgh: Crosby and Neal never have played all games in one season, Letang just once and Malkin also only twice
Edmonton: samplesize isn't big yet, but Hall and RNH have already injuryproblems every year as of now, Whitney and Gagner have troubles to stay healthy as well

Those 2 are the most obvious choices, but teams like Boston, Philly, New Jersey and Minnesota (especially their goalies) have a lot of injurys as well.

Teams without:
Anaheim: Non of their 3 big stars has any big injury in his career and they usually play over 80 games a year
Chicago: Seabrook, Duncan and Kane never had any big problems, but Toews otherwise had some trouble staying healthy from time to time
San Jose: Thornton, Marleau, Couture and Pavelski never had any serious injury problems
Tampa Bay: St.Louis, Stamkos had never any problems and Lecavalier only has problems since he once got a shoulder injury 3 years ago. Purcell has no problems since joining as well.

Of course there will always be players with more/ less injury problems, but it's still remarkable (IMO) that some teams have that much more injury problems with core players.
My theory is, that some teams might do better off ice training during the season, so their players can stay in better shape (which is important to steay healthy) or, which is more likely, have a less injury risk system.
I would like to hear your theory/ thoughts.

Last edited by Jacko95: 04-06-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Fact is, some teams will be hit hard with the injury bug to core players year after year due to nothing more than dumb luck. Fooled by randomness.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

I thought it was the player's choice whether or not to do off ice training so in that case its the players responsibilty.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
"These teams never sustain injuries to their core players."

I don't usually say this, but this is like a huge jinx thread.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Kitten Mittons

Bro if you're jinxing us, I will hunt you down.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Whew. Getzlaf anticipated this thread, and twisted his knee to beat the jinx.

04-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
"These teams never sustain injuries to their core players."

I don't usually say this, but this is like a huge jinx thread.
Sorry, my Englsich isn't the best and I mean not that often.
Have changed it.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:25 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Of course there will always be players with more/ less injury problems, but it's still remarkable (IMO) that some teams have that much more injury problems with core players.
My theory is, that some teams might do better off ice training during the season, so their players can stay in better shape (which is important to steay healthy) or, which is more likely, have a less injury risk system.
I would like to hear your theory/ thoughts.
Being in better shape is no defence against or act as a preventative measure for too many hockey injuries for me to buy into your theory. Headshot concussions, pucks/elbows to the face, errant sticks, sent into the boards/stanchion to break necks, knee to knee hits, skates severing tendons/arteries etc. etc.

Being in better shape of course prevents some injuries to the same degree those type are prevented in other sports, but most sports involve slower speeds, no boards, no sticks, no skates etc.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Came in expecting conspiracy theory, left disappointed.

Dr John Carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Corsi Close

There is one player who gets mocked for his summer workouts, his physique, his off ice training, etc.
Yet he shows up every night, throws his body around with abandon, and is a top ten player in the league.

Some people like to show video of their star players working out hard in the summer, some even workout with MMA fighters, etc., yet they miss time almost every year.

Corsi Close is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

From an SJ perspective Thornton and Pavelski have played through injuries. The only time I remember Pavs missing a significant amount of time was when he broke his foot blocking a shot. Thornton has missed more games being suspended than being injured for the Sharks. Fans have overlooked the durability of the big guys here in SJ for a long time.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
Being in better shape is no defence against or act as a preventative measure for too many hockey injuries for me to buy into your theory. Headshot concussions, pucks/elbows to the face, errant sticks, sent into the boards/stanchion to break necks, knee to knee hits, skates severing tendons/arteries etc. etc.

Being in better shape of course prevents some injuries to the same degree those type are prevented in other sports, but most sports involve slower speeds, no boards, no sticks, no skates etc.
That's right but as you mentioned as well, some injurys can be prevented, but it'smore usful in other sports.
If you compare Martin St. Louis and Sidney Crosby, argubley the two best playmakers in the game right now, one is always injured, while the other on is not. Both are smaller guys and both get a lot of guys going against them and if you look at St.Louis, he rarely gets nocked off, most times he is ready for a hit and therefore gets himself in the best position before the opposite guy arrives and even uses his size for his advantage. I don't see Crosby often, so I don't know if he does the same, but maybe somebody can tell me. If he is not as good at preventing a big hit, I could see it as such a problem. And as this goes for Crosbys whole team, maybe they don't train getting hit enough.

@ all the others: the translation of "jinx" from the internet isn't a normally used word in German, so can you say me if you think this theory/ I am dumb, or is it some sort of superstition, that now the teams will have injury problems as well?

Old
04-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
or is it some sort of superstition, that now the teams will have injury problems as well?
This one

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote