HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Alex Kovalev Retires

Old
03-29-2013, 08:30 AM
UnknownQuantity
Rookie User

vCash: 500
I remember most of those goals. I watch him his whole career and find he was entertaining. Since entertainment more what sports are about than anything I'd say his career was a success

Kovalev seemed to to slow down a lot in the last 5 or six years. It's very difficult to play the game when you are taking 10 seconds to get up when you fall and often not having enough speed to backcheck or back the defense up.

When he was first with the Rangers he fell down a lot, but he generally got up right away and kept going. Despite what people say about his lazyness he had some amazing playoff series. I recall a few with the Rangers where he was carrying players around on his back every shift. One playoffs with the Rangers he was placed on a line with two fourth liners. I think it was actually against Montreal who was the favorite. They pretty much kept Montreal pinned in their own end whole shifts turning the series around.

I think part of his demise has been the beating he has taken over the years. When he came into the NHL it was a lot more lax on it's rules. Players could drag hold on to you and water ski without getting called. People could hack you in the back and knock you to the ice from behind without getting called. Adam Graves used to stand in front of the net every game and take crosschecks to the back in order to screen the goalie and deflect pucks. Those crosschecks were never called and Graves ended up with a bad back eventually. If Kovy came into the league as it is now he may have had more success.

I know Kovy was always more of a keep away type of player. From what I read of him as a kid he played keep away and no one could take the puck from him. Even the older kids and he was using some beat up old skates he didn't fit into. I don't think he grew up with the disciplined, structured, team oriented training some others have and I think that probably hurt his ability to produce as well. As we all know you have to do something useful with the puck regardless of how long you can hold onto it.

Anyway good luck Kovy. You did a lot more then most people with your life. Including myself. You can enjoy retirement.

UnknownQuantity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post

TY Kovalev
Ty for taking some knocks in the face

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:51 AM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
I put together some rare in game Kovalev dangling clips, this is just a test so let me know what you guys think. A long 10+ minute highlight clip is my plan.

Music will be added too of course. I got those clips from just two random games so the more games I check out the more clips I can get.
No comments?

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:16 PM
dimi19

Quote:
I put together some rare in game Kovalev dangling clips, this is just a test so let me know what you guys think. A long 10+ minute highlight clip is my plan.

Music will be added too of course. I got those clips from just two random games so the more games I check out the more clips I can get.
This is REALLY great. Awesome job! Please do some of more of videos like these with Kovy. Love it!!!

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
dimi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownQuantity View Post
I remember most of those goals. I watch him his whole career and find he was entertaining. Since entertainment more what sports are about than anything I'd say his career was a success

Kovalev seemed to to slow down a lot in the last 5 or six years. It's very difficult to play the game when you are taking 10 seconds to get up when you fall and often not having enough speed to backcheck or back the defense up.

When he was first with the Rangers he fell down a lot, but he generally got up right away and kept going. Despite what people say about his lazyness he had some amazing playoff series. I recall a few with the Rangers where he was carrying players around on his back every shift. One playoffs with the Rangers he was placed on a line with two fourth liners. I think it was actually against Montreal who was the favorite. They pretty much kept Montreal pinned in their own end whole shifts turning the series around.

I think part of his demise has been the beating he has taken over the years. When he came into the NHL it was a lot more lax on it's rules. Players could drag hold on to you and water ski without getting called. People could hack you in the back and knock you to the ice from behind without getting called. Adam Graves used to stand in front of the net every game and take crosschecks to the back in order to screen the goalie and deflect pucks. Those crosschecks were never called and Graves ended up with a bad back eventually. If Kovy came into the league as it is now he may have had more success.

I know Kovy was always more of a keep away type of player. From what I read of him as a kid he played keep away and no one could take the puck from him. Even the older kids and he was using some beat up old skates he didn't fit into. I don't think he grew up with the disciplined, structured, team oriented training some others have and I think that probably hurt his ability to produce as well. As we all know you have to do something useful with the puck regardless of how long you can hold onto it.

Anyway good luck Kovy. You did a lot more then most people with your life. Including myself. You can enjoy retirement.
Great post, insightful, good points. True kovy fan!!!

Old
03-29-2013, 09:59 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi19 View Post
This is REALLY great. Awesome job! Please do some of more of videos like these with Kovy. Love it!!!
Yeah I will pm you the link when I'm done and I'll post it here too. Thanks! Subscribe

Old
04-05-2013, 04:14 PM
UnknownQuantity
Rookie User

This is a video I made about 5 years ago when Kovalev was having a great year in Montreal. I thought I had lost the video, but it's still on Youtube. It contains the majority of his goals that season. Unfortunately I didn't get any videos with his assisting. This may be worth a look for people who are big Kovalev fans. It may be all that is left when memory starts to fade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW11X-1mEA8

Old
04-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Karter

Great player who gave alot to the game of hockey.

And this is coming from a fan who doesn't have a whole lot of nice things to say about the 94 Rangers.

Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:50 AM
dimi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownQuantity View Post
This is a video I made about 5 years ago when Kovalev was having a great year in Montreal. I thought I had lost the video, but it's still on Youtube. It contains the majority of his goals that season. Unfortunately I didn't get any videos with his assisting. This may be worth a look for people who are big Kovalev fans. It may be all that is left when memory starts to fade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW11X-1mEA8
thanks, this is great!

let me just re-post that link to be visible here

Last edited by dimi19: 04-06-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: link
Old
04-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Dekar

Quote:

That minute-long shift starting at 1:05 is ridiculous! It has the clip of him dropping his glove and continuing to dangle, but there's so much more to it. The Habs powerplay that season was stupid good.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:28 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
That minute-long shift starting at 1:05 is ridiculous! It has the clip of him dropping his glove and continuing to dangle, but there's so much more to it. The Habs powerplay that season was stupid good.
Scary thing is that wasn't even a powerplay, just 4 on 4! And that sequence goes on for 15 more seconds but I cut it off because it was too long and Kovalev wasn't in on it haha. A big Kovalev clip is coming soon boys! Just wait. And it will be from his 2007-08 season.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Scary thing is that wasn't even a powerplay, just 4 on 4! And that sequence goes on for 15 more seconds but I cut it off because it was too long and Kovalev wasn't in on it haha. A big Kovalev clip is coming soon boys! Just wait. And it will be from his 2007-08 season.
That's cool to know! I couldn't count more than 4 Bruins on the clip, but didn't pay attention to the number of Habs there. I assumed it couldn't have been that one-sided though. Nice to be wrong this time!

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:07 PM
UnknownQuantity
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I watched him his whole career and I'm already starting to forget how shifty a player he was. It's amazing how smoothly he could turn directions and move the puck. He wasn't the fastest player and I don't think he had the most amazing moves always, but he was quick and smooth as butter.