HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Come on now

Old
03-22-2013, 02:08 AM
boots electric

vCash: 50
The boxscore was an absolute mess during the game, and some places are still showing funny numbers. Not sure what that was all about

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:57 AM
wunderpanda
sabre of damocles

vCash: 500
good- we won! we have a win streak now!

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:53 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Ugly: Miller.

In March, his save percentage is .882

So, with improved defense Miller gets horrible. Makes sense.

TakeThatTootoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:26 AM
RattleYourSabre

Good:
-Very impressed with Kadri
-I like how McLaren battled with Scott. Probably knew he was outmatched and went in anyways. He got beat up pretty good, but still, of the two Leaf goons I actually have some respect for McLaren. Went against the legit tough guy while Orr went about the pest.
-Scott. Good battle that he clearly won.
-Steve Ott. Say what you want, but this team has a little bit of fire with him in there... And he delivered a clean, solid hit of the year candidate. And game winning shoot out goal.
-Hodgson.
-Foligno, Porter, Flynn. Again. This line just gets the job done. Very good 3rd line.
-Tyler Myers. If he can play like he did last night, with some intensity and fire, I like the direction he's heading. Keep that up.
-Pysyk. Continues to impress. Still a small sample size but he's been top notch for us.

Bad:
-Miller. I don't know what happened to the Ryan Miller we're used to seeing... But he's currently MIA. As of late, Enroth has been better. I still think he's a good goalie, if not very good. But he hasn't seemed like it lately.

Ugly:
-Why do we always give up big goals in crunch time? Frustrating.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:47 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Thinking more on Miller. He always has those 1-2 goals per game where he looks clueless and didn't see the shot. Yet, Enroth who's smaller doesn't have that problem?

Or maybe I'm dreaming..

Old
03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Thinking more on Miller. He always has those 1-2 goals per game where he looks clueless and didn't see the shot. Yet, Enroth who's smaller doesn't have that problem?

Or maybe I'm dreaming..
Miller doesn't get through screens well, and it's always been one of his weaknesses. Lundqvist is excellent at getting through screens, but has his own flaws. Enroth has flaws, as well, such as his five-hole and coverage towards the top of the net.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Oan

So, are they going to buy Leino out next summer?

Oan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:57 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:

Or maybe I'm dreaming..
You're dreaming.

Miller played the first goal badly last night. Not sure what anyone could have done on the second and third. I did not see the fourth. On top of that, he made a number of quality saves, including the one off the goal line in the third.

In summary, he could have played better overall, but some of you folk are being pretty hard on him.

And what improved defense allows so many uncontested deflection chances?

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:59 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
You're dreaming.

Miller played the first goal badly last night. Not sure what anyone could have done on the second and third. I did not see the fourth. On top of that, he made a number of quality saves, including the one off the goal line in the third.

In summary, he could have played better overall, but some of you folk are being pretty hard on him.

And what improved defense allows so many uncontested deflection chanes?
It just seems that they are improved. The giveaways in their own zone are better, and they are better at getting the puck out of their zone when needed. Granted there is more work to be done, but the defense is better.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Zip15

Quote:
It just seems that they are improved. The giveaways in their own zone are better, and they are better at getting the puck out of their zone when needed. Granted there is more work to be done, but the defense is better.
I caught only the 3rd period last night. It was entertaining, but it looked like a game of shinny and our defensive coverage wasn't all that good. Pominville falling down at the point leading to a shorthanded 2-on-1, Kessel skating around Weber like he was standing still, Kadri free in the low-slot for the redirect on the PP goal, and on and on. Also, we were a defensive fire drill in the 3rd at Montreal.

More to the point, I don't see much defensive improvement out of this group.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Miller doesn't get through screens well, and it's always been one of his weaknesses. Lundqvist is excellent at getting through screens, but has his own flaws. Enroth has flaws, as well, such as his five-hole and coverage towards the top of the net.
It's been my biggest criticism of Miller for years...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:27 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
You're dreaming.

And what improved defense allows so many uncontested deflection chances?
We have this discussion after almost every game. Miller sucks at finding the puck through traffic, and is even worse at reacting to deflections. This doesn't make him a bad goaltender, but it's his one real weakness.

Enroth on the other hand is pretty good at it. He almost never lets in weak shots from the point.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
We have this discussion after almost every game. Miller sucks at finding the puck through traffic, and is even worse at reacting to deflections. This doesn't make him a bad goaltender, but it's his one real weakness.

Enroth on the other hand is pretty good at it. He almost never lets in weak shots from the point.
Seeing as a large quantity of shots/scoring comes through traffic and deflections... one could argue that his weakness does in fact make him a bad goalie... or at least limits him to being merely average

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
To some extent I have to agree. The zone exits have improved. I also like they way they have cleared out rebounds lately, and that is important for Enroth starts. It just seems like there are still a couple too many wtf moments no matter who is in goal.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:40 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:

I'll have to disagree partly with that one. I agree that Enroth is good with those, but Miller is too. Also, as bad as Miller was on that goal, I have to wonder what Regehr was doing on it too.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Acccording to NHL.com the Sabres had 4 powerplay goals..... is this true?

Edit: Ofcourse not: Didn't think the Sabres scored on the PP in the 2nd.
Per my text from ESPN, the sabres lost this game.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:42 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
I'll have to disagree partly with that one. I agree that Enroth is good with those, but Miller is too. Also, as bad as Miller was on that goal, I have to wonder what Regehr was doing on it too.
He's just not, if you can't see that watching games then I can't help you. The difference in # of point shots we score versus the # of point shots that beat Miller is pretty large.

I'm going to start writing this stuff down so people can stop just saying "Nuh uh" and expect that to somehow be an argument.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:52 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
He's just not, if you can't see that watching games then I can't help you. The difference in # of point shots we score versus the # of point shots that beat Miller is pretty large.

I'm going to start writing this stuff down so people can stop just saying "Nuh uh" and expect that to somehow be an argument.
Other than expressing the opposite viewpoint, you haven't actually presented an objective argument either.:-) Pot and kettle situation there.

And comparing the number of point shots the Sabres score on, compared to those scored on Miller, is not a valid comparison. There are way too many variables involved.

Ahh well, off to ship the daughter off to Spain for two weeks.

Last edited by BowieSabresFan: 03-22-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old
03-22-2013, 09:17 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Leino Is playing unreal

SabresBillsBuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Jumping in late without having read any of the rest:

Good -

- Ott has won the hearts and minds. That he's got consecutive game winning goals is just gravy.
- Foligno brought his "A" game again.
- Physical play.
- Coming back from two 2-goal deficits? THIS team?
- Ehrhoff had the offensive mojo working.
- Leafs working the deflection game to perfection on Miller.
- Defense in general seemed to be able to get the puck out and most of the time the forwards were back deep enough to both support and provide outlets.
- Watching the Pominville goal develop like something out of a video game.
- Who is this Ville Leino and what did he do with the guy from last season? Finnish pod people? Twice he walked the Leaf D for a stellar chance and he played a great possession game most of the night. Sticky puck.

Bad -

- Missed some of the first period and in the time it took to park and get to my seat, the Leafs had two goals. WTH.
- Pominville needs to check back in, at least defensively, since his play in his own zone is still terrible.

Ugly -

- Inconsistent officiating still is a blot on this league's ledger. And get on with the faceoffs already, will ya?

03-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
good- we won! we have a win streak now!

Currently, tied for second longest win streak in the league.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoo View Post
Fair enough, just saying, I don't really like the atmosphere when a home game is overrun with loud, obnoxious away fans. It could be any team, it just so happens Toronto is the closest and most relevant.

Also, man, Pominville made some punishing checks. I've never seen him check like that.
After he got popped into the boards from behind? I thought he was going to get a roughing penalty since he had both hands up on the vendetta hit he made right after that. It was a sign of life out of him -- they could use more.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:38 AM
TragicallySabres

G - The win (I want a top 3 pick, but I will ALWAYS take a win against the Leafs)
- Battling back from being down 2
- Steve Ott. He's been my favorite player this year. He's bringing fire to the team, just as he's supposed to. Loved the blowing the kiss, even though it backfired. And the winning SO goal.
- Foligno-Porter-Flynn. Solid night in, night out. And it's really benefiting Marcus
- We were actually cycling the puck well
- John Scott. He hasn't been a liability while in the lineup at all, and he's been doing his job beautifully
- Whoever that version of Tyler Myers was last night, I hope he turns up more consistently
- Pysyk still looks smooth
- Kadri. This is what I was afraid of when Toronto drafted him
- The game overall. Great atmosphere, even watching from home. There was a lot of energy throughout, lots of hits and physicality. Probably the best game I've seen all season.
- Ehrhoff
- Steve Ott's postgame.
- John Scott during Steve Ott's postgame.

B - Giving up two quick goals
- Miller isn't the same goalie he used to be against the Leafs. I love Miller, but he really looks out of sorts this year. I hope he finds his game.
- The refs (this is becoming an every game thing). Drop the puck, for the love of god. And some of the calls continue to baffle me (on both sides tonight, and League wide every night).

U - Stafford's shootout goal. But hey, that's not necessarily a bad "ugly". But it was definitely ugly.
- Pierre McGuire. Just because.

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
HiddenInLight

Just out of curiosity how exactly is blowing kisses a penalty?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:02 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Pominville threw a check that shook the boards. Now I want him to do that every game since I know he has it in him.

SabresAreScaryGood is online now   Reply With Quote