HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another 'so I'm coming to Pittsburgh for a game' thread

Old
04-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

vCash: 500
Another 'so I'm coming to Pittsburgh for a game' thread

So my vacation starts next Friday and I've always wanted to go down to Pittsburgh for a game - particularly a playoff game, and this seems like the ideal time to go for it. I've been to several games in the past, but they've always been in Philly when the Pens come visit. For once I'd like to actually take in the experience as a home fan.

Right now I'm eyeing Game 5 on Thursday, May 9th. Gives me some time to prepare and should be a pivotal game in the series assuming there's no sweep. I also imagine Sid would be cleared to play at that point if he wasn't in Game 1 or 2.

First order of business is securing tickets. Looking at the Pens official site there are no shortage of good seats still available, though it's a bit on the expensive side. I can manage if I need to, but if there are any cheaper outlets for buying tickets that you locals use I'd appreciate you posting them.

I'm also going to need hotel recommendations in the area. Not too picky here, any place that's fairly decent with a reasonable price is fine. The most important thing is it's location to the arena and the city itself. I was planning on coming up the night before, spending the night, and then driving down to watch the team practice (they always practice on gamedays, correct?). How close is their practice facility to the stadium? This would be another factor in what hotel I choose to stay in. If I could be within a half hour of both that would be awesome.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

When you say the Pens official site, do you mean the Ticket Exchange or through the team? If you mean through the team/via initial sale you probably won't find them any cheaper. If you mean ticket exchange you may find them cheaper via stubhub but I don't know if I'd hold my breath. The Pens are the hottest ticket in town. You might have luck with Craigslist but since you're out of town it might be tough to go that route, plus the tickets aren't guaranteed so you could get screwed.

There's a Marriott right across the street from the arena: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...t-city-center/
There's a Cambria Suites right next door: http://www.cambriasuites.com/hotel-p...sylvania-PA637

It might be cheaper to stay across the river in the Sheraton Station Square & either walk or take the T to the game: http://www.sheratonstationsquare.com/

Or, depending on how long you're going to be here/if you want to be close to a lot of restaurants & bars you may want to stay in the South Side. It's easily walkable to CEC:
http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress...xs/hoteldetail

It's unlikely that they'd have a full practice at Southpointe on the day of the game, a morning skate would be more likely. It may or may not be open to the public but if it is it would be at CEC. If they were to practice at the practice facility it's about 30 minutes south of the city. Someplace like Greentree would be more or less convenient to both, I guess. http://hamptoninnpittsburghgreentree.com/ It's closer to downtown/the arena but it has highway access to where you'd need to go.

Worth mentioning that driving in Pittsburgh is an absolute nightmare, especially in the downtown area where the arena is located. If it were me I'd just stay near enough to the arena that I could walk or take the T anywhere I needed to go because yinzer drivers and absolutely nonsensical traffic patterns are always a recipe for disaster.

ETA: I don't know when you plan on getting into town but if it's early on the 8th you should try to go to the Pirates game at 12:35. Tickets are reasonable, readily available and it's worth the price just to see a game at PNC Park. It really is the nicest ballpark in the US.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:09 PM
lettuceAA

Me an the wife went down for a game a few weeks ago, we stayed at the fairmont pittsburgh which was excellent an within walking distance to the rink. I'm from Nova Scotia am didn't know the area at all. We tried to go eat close to the rink before the game which was a huge mistake, because everywhere sucked or was crazy busy.

lettuceAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:23 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

I'm not sure if anyone else could back me up here, but from someone who has grown up here my entire life and is familiar with the city, I think that the Holiday Inn in Southside would probably very convenient. You could walk to the arena, are literally 5 seconds away from the main bar district, and are 30 minutes away from the Southpointe complex where the Pens practice (although I'm not sure how this works out during the playoffs).

DyingAlive mentioned staying in Greentree, which would probably be the best most "in between" spot, as it's only about a 10 minute drive from the city and a 15-20 minute drive from Southpointe, but I'd rather stay at the Holiday Inn mentioned above because you can walk to and from the game, and are right downtown with the nightlife.

chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:31 PM
USMC607

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else could back me up here, but from someone who has grown up here my entire life and is familiar with the city, I think that the Holiday Inn in Southside would probably very convenient. You could walk to the arena, are literally 5 seconds away from the main bar district, and are 30 minutes away from the Southpointe complex where the Pens practice (although I'm not sure how this works out during the playoffs).

DyingAlive mentioned staying in Greentree, which would probably be the best most "in between" spot, as it's only about a 10 minute drive from the city and a 15-20 minute drive from Southpointe, but I'd rather stay at the Holiday Inn mentioned above because you can walk to and from the game, and are right downtown with the nightlife.
Agreed from another whose lived here my whole life southside would be the best spot.

You got nightlife bar scene with good places to grab a meal,
And its very easy walking distance to Consol. Plus it isnt too far from southpointe.

Id say thats your best bet overall

USMC607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Waffle Fries

As far as practice goes, the Penguins said yesterday that all of their practices during the playoffs will be closed to the public.

Waffle Fries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
lettuceAA

I've stayed at 100's of hotel, and the fairmont pittsburgh is at the top of that list.

lettuceAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuceAA View Post
I've stayed at 100's of hotel, and the fairmont pittsburgh is at the top of that list.
There's a reason why new Penguins are housed there..

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

The Fairmont is probably the nicest hotel in the downtown area but it's pretty pricey and OP specifically said reasonably priced. If you can find it on Priceline or something though by all means it's the one I'd pick.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Puckie09

When the wife and I went to a Pens game last March we used Hotwire when getting a hotel. You can search for hotels within a certain distance to an address or location. The only issue is you have no idea what hotel you are staying at until after you book. We ended up staying at the Sheraton Station Square. It was a lot cheaper than booking it directly through them and it was only about a 20-25min walk to Consol. However they also had a shuttle that would drop you off at the arena for free.

Puckie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Voda

my recommendation would be either southside, as stated previously, or the strip district has a relatively newer Hampton Inn which are usually pretty economical and it would be a very convenient (inexpensive) cab ride to the Consol, and there are some places within walking district that are decent in the Theater District on Penn Ave. you'd be close to northside or southside too via cab if you wanted to venture out.

i'd recommend to nobody to stay in Greentree if wanting to come to Pittsburgh for a few days and experience the city...just my opinion.

Voda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo sad bro View Post
When the wife and I went to a Pens game last March we used Hotwire when getting a hotel. You can search for hotels within a certain distance to an address or location. The only issue is you have no idea what hotel you are staying at until after you book. We ended up staying at the Sheraton Station Square. It was a lot cheaper than booking it directly through them and it was only about a 20-25min walk to Consol. However they also had a shuttle that would drop you off at the arena for free.
I liked this hotel when I stayed there for the Foo Fighters concert held at Consol. The T is right there and the price was very reasonable. Also, downtown and Station Square have stuff to do.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote